Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at 2018 which was the 'superdraft', the top 10 - Walsh, Lukosius, Rankine, King, Rozee, King, Smith, Thomas, Jones and Blakey.

I've seen quite a few on here say that both Kings are overate which when you add Lukosius and Rankine we're at 4 of the top 6 being overrated. That's also excluding Rozee who had a great first season but slowed down since. Really, outside of Smith and Walsh I'd say most would be willing to go with the unknown draft pick.

Similar things would be said about the 2019 draftees too. Personally I think many are too quick to make a call on top end talent but equally, how overrated draft picks are when the players lose value so fast when entering the system.

Every Victorian club would trade a top 10 pick in a heartbeat for either of the King boys.

You KNOW what you are getting with Hollands and Rankine

I’m just not sure there is that much to like. Hollands with injury, what’s his attitude like?

an unused lottery ticket has more promise than an expired meh winner
Feel it's too early to call Rankine an expired meh winner. Suppose you're still playing the draft lottery with him though too, a complete unknown vs talent/skill with the gamble being a turn around in attitude/professionalism which seems to be a harder selling point to the majority here.

As for Holland, none of us have any idea yet on how to rate him as he's still without any exposure to AFL level.

So yeah, I'd take two tickets over one :D

Feel it's too early to call Rankine an expired meh winner. Suppose you're still playing the draft lottery with him though too, a complete unknown vs talent/skill with the gamble being a turn around in attitude/professionalism which seems to be a harder selling point to the majority here.

As for Holland, none of us have any idea yet on how to rate him as he's still without any exposure to AFL level.

that’s the thing, it’s 2 tickets which have a lot less unknowns but aren’t in the main jackpot

the other one is.

that’s the thing, it’s 2 tickets which have a lot less unknowns but aren’t in the main jackpot

the other one is.
Surprised you don't think Rankine would be considered the main jackpot if he was to become more professional and improve his attitude.

Absolutely not.

Rankine hasn't regained any of the spark he had before his serious hamstring injury, and often looks disinterested out there.

Luko, although an absolutely beautiful kick, was drafted with such a high draft pick on the premise he would become a leading KPF, and has not looked like replicating his performances as a junior in that position at all. Doesn't seem to want to build that sort of bulk, and has been sent to the backline where all failed KPF's seem to go, where he is playing reasonable footy.

If we're looking to trade both of them this year, it's on the CHANCE they'll both take their finger out and elevate themselves to the next level, and i'm certainly not coughing up high 1st rounders for both players being an unknown quantity.

I'd prefer to have a crack at them next year for a few reasons:
1) They'd both be out of contract, so gives GC less leverage with a trade
2) It gives us another year to have a look at their performances
3) We'd be trading them in at a time when Port will be looking at tying up their own stars in Rozee, Butter and Duursma when they come out of contract, and a salary cap squeeze will start to become a bit more of a reality for them. Puts the focus on us if they nominate SA as a trade destination.
Can I put to you that if Clarkson decides to make ten million on the Gold Coast it could tempt the whole Suns squad to hang around, including King, Rowell and our SA boys.

What are the chances? 33%? 50%?

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can I put to you that if Clarkson decides to make ten million on the Gold Coast it could tempt the whole Suns squad to hang around, including King, Rowell and our SA boys.

What are the chances? 33%? 50%?

have you seen Clarkson’s record over the last 3 or 4 years?

are you sure he’s still the messiah?

have you seen Clarkson’s record over the last 3 or 4 years?

are you sure he’s still the messiah?
If course you are being facetious so I don't need to answer your first question.

Nor do I need to answer the second, given your proposition is not actually my position, just a projection.

Can you rephrase the question? Or do you mean to say that Gold Coast's talent would stay for Dew but leave for Clarkson?

If course you are being facetious so I don't need to answer your first question.

Nor do I need to answer the second, given your proposition is not actually my position, just a projection.

Can you rephrase the question? Or do you mean to say that Gold Coast's talent would stay for Dew but leave for Clarkson?

I’m just going to ignore that gobbledegook

fact is, that Clarkson’s record hasn’t been all that for a while now.

and if you think players think he’s the messiah now, and will somehow flock you’re kidding yourself

Leigh Matthews knew he was no good at a rebuilding club, and it’s to be seen if Clarkson still has it

literally no player will make career decisions assuming Clarko will save them

I’m just going to ignore that gobbledegook

fact is, that Clarkson’s record hasn’t been all that for a while now.

and if you think players think he’s the messiah now, and will somehow flock you’re kidding yourself

Leigh Matthews knew he was no good at a rebuilding club, and it’s to be seen if Clarkson still has it

literally no player will make career decisions assuming Clarko will save them
Lol you go the long way to make a point!

I would take a fit Holland in a heartbeat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would take a fit Holland in a heartbeat.

of course. So would I. I would love him now

which sounds contradictory, but it’s a different point I’m making

what we don’t know is Holland’s attitude to rehab, training, other coaches, diet etc

is he better than expected in his approach, same, worse?

these things are known. And because they are known that changes the balance in the value.

Hollands was not expected to be injured all of this year, but still hasn’t been able to get on the park

there’s a lot more risk now, than before, unless he’s a massive overperformer in his approach.

and given he’s been injured again, all year, what are the odds that he’s a Tom Brady doing everything right?

he might just be unlucky, but there is risk and that’s all I am saying

I’d love a fully fit Hollands. Is there one on offer?

of course. So would I. I would love him now

which sounds contradictory, but it’s a different point I’m making

what we don’t know is Holland’s attitude to rehab, training, other coaches, diet etc

is he better than expected in his approach, same, worse?

these things are known. And because they are known that changes the balance in the value.

Hollands was not expected to be injured all of this year, but still hasn’t been able to get on the park

there’s a lot more risk now, than before, unless he’s a massive overperformer in his approach.

and given he’s been injured again, all year, what are the odds that he’s a Tom Brady doing everything right?

he might just be unlucky, but there is risk and that’s all I am saying

I’d love a fully fit Hollands. Is there one on offer?
If you have ever hired anyone through a full and robust process you would know this is the way for ALL employees.

The one you choose sounded good, answered well, presented well - you get them on the job sometimes you think, where is the person I hired.

The point in AFL is that getting 1st pick at the candidates you interview is way better than getting the 6th pick which is waaaaay better than getting the 20th pick. Doesn't guarantee a thing, but I know which pick I would want ... the lowest one I could.

Also, when the person that barely made an interview that you threw a bone as you needed someone in the role - turns out to be be a great employee ... that doesn't make you a good hirer!!

If you have ever hired anyone through a full and robust process you would know this is the way for ALL employees.

The one you choose sounded good, answered well, presented well - you get them on the job sometimes you think, where is the person I hired.

The point in AFL is that getting 1st pick at the candidates you interview is way better than getting the 6th pick which is waaaaay better than getting the 20th pick. Doesn't guarantee a thing, but I know which pick I would want ... the lowest one I could.

Also, when the person that barely made an interview that you threw a bone as you needed someone in the role - turns out to be be a great employee ... that doesn't make you a good hirer!!

yup. And that’s the thing - known Vs unknown

we all know the unknown sounds sexier

I think this is pretty close to the mark

Although, from North's perspective, if the crows did something really stupid to get that GC pick 3 on top of keeping pick 4 and look to cut a deal with North for pick 1, North have taken a number of mids in their recent drafts, it would not be a silly idea for them to go after Gibcus and one of the other top end talls if they had 2 high 1st rounders - that would then add to McKay down back and Larkey up front and could really set their list right up with high end talent at both ends and in the middle with guys like Phillips, Powell, LDU etc?

Gibcus makes a lot of sense.

Noble see's Horne as the final piece of our midfield though, as an elite two way midfielder capable of going forward in tandem with Thomas to complement some of the other offensive weapons.

Been rumours we've had a hard-on for him for 12+ months.

Looking at 2018 which was the 'superdraft', the top 10 - Walsh, Lukosius, Rankine, King, Rozee, King, Smith, Thomas, Jones and Blakey.

I've seen quite a few on here say that both Kings are overate which when you add Lukosius and Rankine we're at 4 of the top 6 being overrated. That's also excluding Rozee who had a great first season but slowed down since. Really, outside of Smith and Walsh I'd say most would be willing to go with the unknown draft pick.

Similar things would be said about the 2019 draftees too. Personally I think many are too quick to make a call on top end talent but equally, how overrated draft picks are when the players lose value so fast when entering the system.

I just noticed this post when I was responding to another, as I don't want to clog up this thread on your board. But I'd trade pick #1 in a heartbeat for a clone of Thomas as he currently is now. Not even a second thought.

Gibcus makes a lot of sense.

Noble see's Horne as the final piece of our midfield though, as an elite two way midfielder capable of going forward in tandem with Thomas to complement some of the other offensive weapons.

Been rumours we've had a hard-on for him for 12+ months.
For sure. I am not saying north would trade the pick although it might be possible for 2 x top 5 picks if they for some reason were not wedded to horne francis. But very few of us at our end would want to stomach that cost for your clubs pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back