Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a guy who does scouting for an AFL club, and he reckons they would take Callaghan at pick 1 ahead of Horne.

Callaghan has shown more traits of commanding a midfield, like Sam Walsh, Horne yet to really show that. This is his reasoning.

One of the differences between the u/18s comp in Vic and our elite kids playing Senior SANFL Footy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
He really said that?

At NAB League level Callaghan has only had a little exposure to midfield at NAB League unless you're classing wing as midfield.

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else but he did win the Sandy Dragons B & F but not by a big margin.

Top ten:
1: Finn Callaghan – 76 votes
2: Luke Cleary – 69 votes
3: Lachie Benton – 65 votes
4: Charlie McKay – 61 votes
5: Blake Howes: 44 votes
6: Lachie Riley: 35 votes
7: Luca Macnab: 27 votes
8: Max Heath: 26 votes
9: Mitch Owens: 23 votes
= 10th: Josh Sinn and Campbell Chesser: 14 votes

Other award winners:

Coaches award: Blake Howes
Most Improved Player: Mitch Owens
Honest efforts award: Charlie McKay
Fiercest Dragon: Liam Hayes
Mark of the year: Caleb Lewis
Goal of the year: Tom Blamires

Just completely throwing something left field out there, but, what if we threw a combination of our 2022 1st and Fog at North and GC and saw if it grabbed their attention? Fog has shown bits, some real potential and might attract some real interest. He also might not ever actually become a reliable key forward.

It would be a risk for both sides of the trade, and would be a bold move, but if the player we get (whether JHF or Callaghan) becomes a dominant midfielder, it could be well worth it.

Not saying we should or would, just throwing something out there.

Really hope we get Fin Callaghan absolutely what we need 189 cm still growing inside outside agile athletic

im sure that’s why we trying get GC pick 3.

maybe 4 for Hobbs. 2 top line midfielders in one draft set us up nicely

or maybe still trying get horne pic 3 and 4 for 1

going to be interesting trade period

I'd take Callaghan in a second if he was available, but how do you know he's still growing?

Doesn't seem to have the aerial game or explosiveness that JHF has, but seems to have more composure.

He will also be a big unit which is the sort of variety we need.

We still need that breakaway speed in our midfield that Nick's has talked about though.

I'd take Callaghan in a second if he was available, but how do you know he's still growing?

Doesn't seem to have the aerial game or explosiveness that JHF has, but seems to have more composure.

We still need that breakaway speed in our midfield that Nick's has talked about though.

on north board they too see fin as potential 1 with no go home factor but I fear if we can’t get pick 3 we will miss out on both

operation get pic 3

I suspect if we miss out on those two it be Hobbs or ward

we need Finn more in the makeup of our midfield

He really said that?

At NAB League level Callaghan has only had a little exposure to midfield at NAB League unless you're classing wing as midfield.

I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else but he did win the Sandy Dragons B & F but not by a big margin.

Top ten:
1: Finn Callaghan – 76 votes
2: Luke Cleary – 69 votes
3: Lachie Benton – 65 votes
4: Charlie McKay – 61 votes
5: Blake Howes: 44 votes
6: Lachie Riley: 35 votes
7: Luca Macnab: 27 votes
8: Max Heath: 26 votes
9: Mitch Owens: 23 votes
= 10th: Josh Sinn and Campbell Chesser: 14 votes

Other award winners:

Coaches award: Blake Howes
Most Improved Player: Mitch Owens
Honest efforts award: Charlie McKay
Fiercest Dragon: Liam Hayes
Mark of the year: Caleb Lewis
Goal of the year: Tom Blamires
He did.

Might be more what they see in the player rather than exposure. I don't know.

Could also be a bit of the "risk" in picking an SA kid at pick 1.

Rankine and Luko have not developed worthy of being picks 2 and 3.

I do wonder if there isva bit of thinking Horne is a bit "flashy" and will struggle with the grind of AFL Footy.

Like Rankine.

He did.

Might be more what they see in the player rather than exposure. I don't know.

Could also be a bit of the "risk" in picking an SA kid at pick 1.

Rankine and Luko have not developed worthy of being picks 2 and 3.

I do wonder if there isva bit of thinking Horne is a bit "flashy" and will struggle with the grind of AFL Footy.

Like Rankine.

Horne flashy, surely your not serious, if you want to talk flashy that is way, way closer to the mark with Finn Callaghan actually.

Have you seen Callaghan play?

Horne flashy, surely your not serious, if you want to talk flashy that is way, way closer to the mark with Finn Callaghan actually.

Have you seen Callaghan play?
Nope. I don't watch much junior Footy anymore, hence I generally don't add much on the subject.

As I said, relaying what I have been told by an SA based scout for an AFL club.

agreed

sure crows want 3 for Finn not Horne
Mate I recall your posting in last year's draft thread, you were sure we were taking about a half a dozen players at different times and from memory I'm not sure Thilrhorpe was one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. I don't watch much junior Footy anymore, hence I generally don't add much on the subject.

As I said, relaying what I have been told by an SA based scout for an AFL club.

Horne can do flashy things certainly, mostly aerially but he's right up there with the very best of the hard at it contested ball winners in this draft and his defensive pressure and 2 way running are unquestioned.

Last edited:

Just an aside. Callaghan is blood related to luke beveridge and is a life long bulldogs fan iirc. Like a few others have pointed out picking him we would want to be bloody sure he is not likely to stay 2 years then want out

Just an aside. Callaghan is blood related to luke beveridge and is a life long bulldogs fan iirc. Like a few others have pointed out picking him we would want to be bloody sure he is not likely to stay 2 years then want out

Also, why are people saying we're trying to work our way up to Pick 3 to get Callaghan, surely he goes to GWS

Also, why are people saying we're trying to work our way up to Pick 3 to get Callaghan, surely he goes to GWS
Why is that ....because of some amateur draft watchers power ratings ??

They're not the Clubs ratings, nor are they necessarily the Clubs needs ......If for example MELB with Gawn and Jackson have a pick ....would they take the best available player, a ruckman, or a different player ......history says it's the latter

Clubs do not always take best available in the 1st round

I'd be a bit wary if Callaghan slips past GWS and GC. I mean sure they may have rated others higher but again, if we are strongly considering him, the due diligence would have to be of the highest order. Now in saying that, maybe once a kid like that gets into our system under Nicks who it can not be disputed has turned the culture of our footy club around, they might really buy in and the flight risk becomes less. But my point is with his links, just make sure as much as is possible every I is dotted and every T is crossed

Why is that ....because of some amateur draft watchers power ratings ??

They're not the Clubs ratings, nor are they necessarily the Clubs needs ......If for example MELB with Gawn and Jackson have a pick ....would they take the best available player, a ruckman, or a different player ......history says it's the latter

Clubs do not always take best available in the 1st round

Because 99% of the time, as is backed up by previous drafts, clubs usually draft on pure talent in the top 10, and generally go for list 'needs' outside of the 1st round.

It's almost universally accepted that there's a top 4 this draft in terms of talent: JHF, Daicos, Darcy and Callaghan, throwing a blanket over the next half-dozen or so..

Because 99% of the time, as is backed up by previous drafts, clubs usually draft on pure talent in the top 10, and generally go for list 'needs' outside of the 1st round.
Nah I don't believe this ......if there's a standout few that are "franchise" players like a Reiwoldt, King ....then yes Clubs take no matter what

But I don't believe your cliche applies to every Draft

This year, not sure there are any "Franchise" players in the top 4 players ......now history may show differently, and history may show that players taken in the teens will be greater players

How many of these #1 Drafted Players ended up Club Franchise players .....or even their clubs best player over their careers ?
Sure quite a few are/were still good players ....but many of the great players ; Dangerfield, Fyfe, Macrae, Oliver, Steele , were taken later

I'd be a bit wary if Callaghan slips past GWS and GC. I mean sure they may have rated others higher but again, if we are strongly considering him, the due diligence would have to be of the highest order. Now in saying that, maybe once a kid like that gets into our system under Nicks who it can not be disputed has turned the culture of our footy club around, they might really buy in and the flight risk becomes less. But my point is with his links, just make sure as much as is possible every I is dotted and every T is crossed
Just asking, if that top echelon of players is so good, why would GC consider trading out #3 ?

GWS's need IMO is KPP and 3rd talls ....their midfield is well covered, Callaghan plays like Kelly

Just asking, if that top echelon of players is so good, why would GC consider trading out #3 ?

GWS's need IMO is KPP and 3rd talls ....their midfield is well covered, Callaghan plays like Kelly
GC have been hawking that pick for a ready made player though..the age old problem they have getting high end current AFL players to head up there

Nah I don't believe this ......if there's a standout few that are "franchise" players like a Reiwoldt, King ....then yes Clubs take no matter what

But I don't believe your cliche applies to every Draft

This year, not sure there are any "Franchise" players in the top 4 players ......now history may show differently, and history may show that players taken in the teens will be greater players

How many of these #1 Drafted Players ended up Club Franchise players .....or even their clubs best player over their careers ?
Sure quite a few are/were still good players ....but many of the great players ; Dangerfield, Fyfe, Macrae, Oliver, Steele , were taken later

Afraid I can't see where that list you've put applies to your argument, are you saying the head recruiters that selected them didn't think they were the best player in that draft, they may have got it wrong certainly but I'd be very surprised if their recruiting team didn't have them on top of their talent board.

GC have been hawking that pick for a ready made player though..the age old problem they have getting high end current AFL players to head up there
I'm not seeing a high-end player though, that's available & worth #3 ?

What type of player are they looking for .....Mid, KPP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back