Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty average advice.
Well, as much as I've grown close to my mortgage, i'd certainly not miss it when its gone.

Also, something tells me he was probably exaggerating the 'every cent' part of that story to emphasize the level of importance the guy put on not paying interest to a bank for the better part of 3 decades after footy.

That's how I interpreted it anyway

I have never understood the "they've only got 10 years" thing either.

As if we've all got to earn enough money to set us up for our entire lives in our first job?

Or that footballers are all Gods who should literally "retire" at 31 and do nothing more than top up their bank accounts by doing sportsman night appearances for the next 30 years.

I believe that any footballer coming out of the competition in even their early/mid 20's would have far more opportunities than the average person their age persuing a similar career if they actually wanted it.

Little sympathy for the "I retired 10 years ago and now I'm broke" stories, get a job, stick to it and live within your means.

Doesn't take a genius to work out that you can't live like you are getting paid $800k a year forever if you're not getting paid 800k a year.

They also have a buttload of spare time in that 10 years to study.

Really don't get those that think it's wrong for an individual to want to earn as much as possible in their careers. If it can set them up further so they need to work less years of their life, why wouldn't you want to do that?

Heck, more money you get now means you can further follow whatever interests you most in life without money being one of the key leaders in your decision.

It is certainly something I hadn't considered but isn't exactly reassuring.

I'd always assumed that the cone of silence was because there was stuff we didn't want to come out, even if the rumours in the public arena themselves were false.

Who'd have thought that the answer was much simpler:

What if the club is even more incompetent than even its harshest critics could possibly fathom?

Did we really allow our club to be a national punching bag for two years and get destroyed over nothing? Exactly how inept and spineless are we?

So we're now left with two possibilities:

1) W&L are still being slightly evasive with the truth and there was some harmful sh*t that went down.

Or

2) Nothing happened on the camp and the AFC is the most useless organisation in the history of sport.
I'll never forget Birdman saying something along the lines of "Within these 4 walls we read the stories and laugh."

We weren't ******* laughing. Glad they were yukking it up while all and sundry were lining up for their potshots.

We havent tabled a formal offer, theohgh discussion the club has indicated their position

Brad's management are obviously using this as a reference point and are trying to get a longer deal with more money elsewhere

My guess is we have indicated that we are not prepared to offer more than 3 years

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Interesting negotiation position by both parties ......IF the Crows were in the Premiership window as in 2017-18, the pressure on them to satisfy Crouch's demands would be such as we've seen with Sloane, Walker, Tippett in previous seasons
This pressure was compounded by the ever present "Crows can't hold their Players" banter

But in this rebuild phase, no such pressure exists .....in fact many would favor the compensation pick in return for Brad leaving ......so it'll be a contract completely on the Crows terms, they have nothing to lose, but plenty to gain

Can everyone play Aussie Rules at an elite level? If they could then we would all earn significantly more or the ave. afl wage would reduce.
Naturally if you are leader in industry you get paid more than the average Joe.
I'm in no way begrudging them earning as much as they can while they're playing. Their talent and hard work during their playing careers can be well compensated.

Well, as much as I've grown close to my mortgage, i'd certainly not miss it when its gone.

Also, something tells me he was probably exaggerating the 'every cent' part of that story to emphasize the level of importance the guy put on not paying interest to a bank for the better part of 3 decades after footy.

That's how I interpreted it anyway
If you did this 20 years ago, you would have made a mint on capital growth. That train's largely sailed.

If you had invested money in the stock market instead you could withdraw and pay cash for the house at the end of your career with all the money sloshing around at the moment.

However, the 'just smash down your mortgage' advice is easy to follow for a teenager with no financial knowledge.

If you did this 20 years ago, you would have made a mint on capital growth. That train's largely sailed.

If you had invested money in the stock market instead you could withdraw and pay cash for the house at the end of your career with all the money sloshing around at the moment.

However, the 'just smash down your mortgage' advice is easy to follow for a teenager with no financial knowledge.
Yeah, and this bloke won’t mind me saying, he wasn’t the worlds greatest thinker. So the last point might have been the most telling for his situation.

No one's suing that I'm aware

The point that was being made is that lots of Crows players stayed at the club and signed new contracts. Therefore the camp/administration can't have been that bad

I pointed out that many Essendon players stayed at Essendon post supplements scandal. It didn't mean that what the Bombers did wasn't terrible and likewise it shouldn't be an out for us.
Essendon were forced to pay out a settlement to a lot of Players who did sue them over the supplements scandal,

Essendon were forced to pay out a settlement to a lot of Players who did sue them over the supplements scandal,
So had even more reason to leave than our unhappy campers did.

But most didn't, so we should take no reassurance from most of our guys staying.

But most didn't, so we should take no reassurance from most of our guys staying.
Or maybe nothing that bad happened, like many players have publicly said? Maybe some enjoyed it?

Or maybe different players had different experiences, and some thought the whole thing was insulting their intelligence?

You can't take complete reassurance from people wanting to stay, that's true. But you can take SOME reassurance, surely.

Or maybe nothing that bad happened, like many players have publicly said? Maybe some enjoyed it?

Or maybe different players had different experiences, and some thought the whole thing was insulting their intelligence?

You can't take complete reassurance from people wanting to stay, that's true. But you can take SOME reassurance, surely.
Sure, you can take some reassurance if the Bombers can also play down their supplement thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point was they don't really have any real avenue to take legal action.

Sure, you can take some reassurance if the Bombers can also play down their supplement thing
Their players were suspended for a year and still don't really know what they were given.

Our players were subjected to a bunch of idiots for a few days.

Their players were suspended for a year and still don't really know what they were given.

Our players were subjected to a bunch of idiots for a few days.
Yes... which would make the Bombers players MORE likely to want to leave.

And most didn't.

Therefore you can't take ANY solace in saying well they mostly stayed so it mustn't have been too bad.

And nor can we.

Yes... which would make the Bombers players MORE likely to want to leave.

And most didn't.

Therefore you can't take ANY solace in saying well they mostly stayed so it mustn't have been too bad.

And nor can we.
Im not sure I was making that point.

Players left Essendon because of what happened, I'm not sure anyone bar Eddie left in any way due to the camp activities.

I reckon time to be aggressive.. if we want to trade in players after a few years of drafting, I don’t want players like him taking up cap space for 5 years... he’s no Dangerfield or Fyfe.. take the pick to the draft

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree, this is our Polec / Wingard moment

And most ppl have a working life of 40 years whereas footballers have 10 max...then their earning capacity decreases
...back to what normal people have for their next 30 years.

They basically get 1.75x the earnings of a normal person

Agree, this is our Polec / Wingard moment
Pretty good comparison TBH.

I still don't think we can lose either way. If we keep Brad and he continues the form he's showed in most of the last 18 months then we have a gun midfielder whilst still blooding kids. Also means he's staying on less money than he thought

If he goes then we have THE first 2 picks in the draft, NGA/academy notwithstanding, which is pivotal to a rebuild.

Touche.

In saying that you've taken me out of context, I was replying to a comment that players may look to pursue legal action in regards to lost future earnings etc, which is patiently not true. More than half the players who did leave signed far bigger contracts than they had.

What's the story with our supposed interest in Neil Balme? I saw it on the news on the TV while I was at the gym tonight but the sound was off so I got no details. Is there any actual substance to this?

What's the story with our supposed interest in Neil Balme? I saw it on the news on the TV while I was at the gym tonight but the sound was off so I got no details. Is there any actual substance to this?
Been talk about him for a few weeks, gone from Richmond and we are on the hunt for experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back