Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering the Lions pissed away an absolutely golden opportunity this year to make the GF, its not the sharpest argument at the moment to say an experienced captain will help with choking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against getting in Edwards this year and we absolutely should be looking at bolstering our coaching core in 2022 by a recently retired player which Shane will provide (I assume so anyway). Especially as we're currently trying to copy Richmond in a lot of aspects.
I must have missed Hodgey playing that game...

They tried to replicate with Birchall, but he didn't have the leadership skills of Hodge.

Does Edwards have that on field leadership? Not sure, but he certainly knows what it takee6to get the job done on GF day.

The Hodge argument is that the Lions team wouldn't be in the position to be competing in Preliminary Finals, without Luke imparting his experience and standards on the young Likns team.

Not sure the blame can be laid bare at Luke's feet for the failures of the current Lions team to progress to a GF.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They tried to replicate with Birchall, but he didn't have the leadership skills of Hodge.

Does Edwards have that on field leadership? Not sure, but he certainly knows what it takee6to get the job done on GF day.

The Hodge argument is that the Lions team wouldn't be in the position to be competing in Preliminary Finals, without Luke imparting his experience and standards on the young Likns team.

Not sure the blame can be laid bare at Luke's feet for the failures of the current Lions team to progress to a GF.

You tried to make the argument that Hodges leadership helped with choking (especially noting Edwards won't be around as a player the next time we play finals). The evidence shows otherwise, whatever Hodge imparted didn't help with that aspect.

After all this is what you threw out:

" In fact, they shkt the bed when they got to the GF."

That immediately implies this leadership will help them handle pressure, an argument which was blown completely out of the water by Brisbane failing to capitalise on what was the dream finals run. You are right in that Hodge definitely helped them through the dangerous part of a rebuild, however Hodge had nothing to do with teaching Brisbane how to handle finals like pressure, and should we go in this direction, Edwards will not help whatsoever with us handling finals like pressure. Both of their grand final experience is completely irrelevant in that respect. Much like Tex, Sloane, Talia etc experience in 2017 is.

The only benefit Edwards has in that regard (and Hodge did with Brisbane) is it'll allow us to hopefully take some of what Richmond (and for Hodge, Hawthorn) has been doing in terms of preparation and IP and allowing us first dibs on a promising coach, if he looks promising.

Birchall is cooked as a player and his trade wasn't the smartest move by the lions in an onfield sense. Likely it was all about post football. Edwards is elite and and his pace is still there. I can't see Edwards giving up the opportunity for 3 in a row and a 4th flag with Richmond but you never know. He would be a good get to teach the young guys what is needed for a couple of years on field before moving into a development role.

You tried to make the argument that Hodges leadership helped with choking (especially noting Edwards won't be around as a player the next time we play finals). The evidence shows otherwise, whatever Hodge imparted didn't help with that aspect.

After all this is what you threw out:

" In fact, they shkt the bed when they got to the GF."

That immediately implies this leadership will help them handle pressure, an argument which was blown completely out of the water by Brisbane failing to capitalise on what was the dream finals run. You are right in that Hodge definitely helped them through the dangerous part of a rebuild, however Hodge had nothing to do with teaching Brisbane how to handle finals like pressure, and should we go in this direction, Edwards will not help whatsoever with us handling finals like pressure. Both of their grand final experience is completely irrelevant in that respect. Much like Tex, Sloane, Talia etc experience in 2017 is.

The only benefit Edwards has in that regard (and Hodge did with Brisbane) is it'll allow us to hopefully take some of what Richmond (and for Hodge, Hawthorn) has been doing in terms of preparation and IP and allowing us first dibs on a promising coach, if he looks promising.
I've had a couple of Sparkling Ales so am a little bit loose, but I don't recall making any argument about Hodges leadership helping with choking in finals...

My argument was more that Hodge's leadership accelerated the development of the kids, as prior to his arrival the Lions were a basket case and were losing players left right and centre.

It is obvious he has a great influence in implementing a positive culture within the organisation through his experience.

It's sh*t. HJ's meat patties are too big and beef flavoured. The sauce barely gets a look in. Stick to Big Macs if it's special sauce Ye seek.
The meat patties that Maccas use on their breakfast muffins has a bad bad taste. Everything else is ok. HJ’s I prefer though.

Considering the Lions pissed away an absolutely golden opportunity this year to make the GF, its not the sharpest argument at the moment to say an experienced captain will help with choking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against getting in Edwards this year and we absolutely should be looking at bolstering our coaching core in 2022 by a recently retired player which Shane will provide (I assume so anyway). Especially as we're currently trying to copy Richmond in a lot of aspects.
Weren’t we trying to copy Hawthorn a few years ago.
l think we need to come up with something original and not be 3 or 4 years behind consistently.

Omg can the sauce stuff have its own thread? It's been going since the Tippet mega-thread
A dedicated sauce thread would be a bit repetitive...

cupboard!
fridge!
cupboard!
fridge!
cupboard!
fridge!

fridge!
cupboard!
fridge!
cupboard!
fridge!

fridge-cupboard-gif.998358

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question why would any FA paper work need to wait? If for example like Crouch he knows St Kilda have X years with $Y in front of him and he has accepted it why would it have to wait to be done?

All of the free agents should be completed by 9:01am you would think. Particularly the ones who have known where they are going for some time.

Serious question why would any FA paper work need to wait? If for example like Crouch he knows St Kilda have X years with $Y in front of him and he has accepted it why would it have to wait to be done?

All of the free agents should be completed by 9:01am you would think. Particularly the ones who have known where they are going for some time.

Geelong is far more important

To see what compo is given out for other players to make sure the offer will get band 1 compo

To see what compo is given out for other players to make sure the offer will get band 1 compo
I get that.

But St Kilda have on the table X at Y. I mean the only one's that will be mildly comparable would be Cameron and Daniher (I'd be surprised if both didn't match anyway). And even then I don't think we'd be going down the "oh but they got this" argument with the AFL as we probably know it's not going to get anyway.

I get that.

But St Kilda have on the table X at Y. I mean the only one's that will be mildly comparable would be Cameron and Daniher (I'd be surprised if both didn't match anyway). And even then I don't think we'd be going down the "oh but they got this" argument with the AFL as we probably know it's not going to get anyway.

As far as I know with the process, the AFL announces the salary/band and then a club can choose to match.

In this case, I think it's making sure the AFL doesn't screw us over. We can definitely use the "oh but they got this" seeing that'd probably be a big push to make the formula for FA (and maybe even player salaries) public if we got obviously screwed over from an FA deal.

Similar to Brad Hill last year, am I the only one who doesn't get the hype over Zac Williams?

Half back flanker with shocking disposal. No AA's, B&F's etc.

Brodie Smith is a better player and even he annoys me at times.

Paying more than $800k for a player like this just seems like incredibly poor list management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back