Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I really don’t understand why we would be so keen on Hately. We apparently had no interest 2 years ago, passed on him in the draft and he has had 2 very underwhelming seasons since. With midfielders like Finn Macrae, Tom Powell And Caleb Poulter likely to be available to us in the 15 - 25 band where we should have several picks then I just don’t see the value for us.
Hately not once in any of his games for GWS has been played in his best role, he's a big bodied inside midfielder, the role he lit up the SANFL U18's and the role he played so well for SA at the Nationals....and unlike Macrae, Powell and Poulter who have played only at the U18 level Hately played extremely well at SANFL League level after the Nationals.

Edit : And most likely unlike Macrae, Poulter and Powell he's a plug and play from round 1 2021.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
hes played less footy in last two years than hately
we are targeting locals which brodie is not
GC probably want a forst round pick as hes in contract so its a no
Brodie won't cost a team very much in picks to get - but he's on $400k+, which will be $100k or so more than Hately will cost.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
So another contract extension for Mackay to also be announced?

I seem to remember us doing the same either last year or the year before.
I suspect he waits until we know list sizea

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
Well, no interested and rated Jones higher aren't the same. Hately did go before our McHenry pick and that draft was much stronger than this one.

He's done ok, was producing in the NEAFL at a pretty good click (26.6 disp/6 marks/5.5 tackles last year), and got a handful of games in one of the most talent-laden sides out and has certainly been on the high end of rising stars in terms of per-game averages, seeing he's top 10 in about 7 categories that aren't fantasy football related (at most clubs, Hately would be on 40 games by now). Just needs a new home, clear run at settling into a midfield spot and will be knock up 200 games before you know it (providing he stays injury-free), especially as Adelaide are desperate for inside talent even before we contemplate losing Brad.

There is a damn good reason he went first round in that draft, and we should be getting him cheaper than the 15-25 band. Probably more around 31-40 seeing we hold the old PSD card.
Look, if we get him for a pick in the 30’s then i suppose it’s not the end of the world, but “he’s done OK” is hardly a ringing endorsement. Ironically he and Chase Jones were the only 2 I really didn’t want in the 18 draft, and we might end up with both of them. To me he just has no weapons, gets a bit of it and disposal is OK, but slow by foot and mind is what I see and we are clearing players like that out so don’t see the value of stockpiling mids that are there for depth. That’s exactly why GWS can’t keep him.
now if we were talking about Jye Caldwell...

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Brodie won't cost a team very much in picks to get - but he's on $400k+, which will be $100k or so more than Hately will cost.
How much is “very much”?.. that needs to be defined..

Because in this absolute shitshow of a draft year.. if the suns were asking for our pick 20 for him I’d be very happy to see the club hand it over..

After compo/nga bids that pick 20 will be closer to pick 30.. and we’ve seen nothing of the Vic kids this year.. a pick nearing pick 30 could be a very speculative pick in this years draft.

Id rather spend it on a known entity.

The other thing to consider.. Midfielders tend to peak at 25-30..

Look at our midfield.. brad might be gone.

Sloane is well past it

Laird is 26

Smith is 28

Mcrouch is coming into his prime.

Keays looks alright i suppose at 23 years old but im not sure he the answer.

Then we have a big gap all the way back to the likes of shoenburg and Jones.. not a lot in that 20-25 year age group as far as Mids.. would feel more comfortable with the next few years if we filled it.

Bring in hately as a 20 year old and
Will Brodie as a 22 year old.. and we start filling that hole. Both lads have a shitload of potential IMO..

If we can do it using some shitty picks between 20-40 in this years horror show of a draft then I’m all for it...

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
Hately not once in any of his games for GWS has been played in his best role, he's a big bodied inside midfielder, the role he lit up the SANFL U18's and the role he played so well for SA at the Nationals....and unlike Macrae, Powell and Poulter who have played only at the U18 level Hately played extremely well at SANFL League level after the Nationals.

Edit : And most likely unlike Macrae, Poulter and Powell he's a plug and play from round 1 2021.
I’m not worried about round 1 next year, I’m worried about our next flag side, and Macrae, Poulter and Powell have a lot higher ceilings than Hately. Of course they may not realize that, but at least it’s a possibility.
i know you were bullish about him in 18, but you were about the only one, and in every game he’s played since he got to the Giants he’s played like he did for Centrals, solid but vanilla, which sums up our midfield already.
put it this way, not many opposition coaches are staying up late worrying about how to deal with Jackson Hately.

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Look, if we get him for a pick in the 30’s then i suppose it’s not the end of the world, but “he’s done OK” is hardly a ringing endorsement. Ironically he and Chase Jones were the only 2 I really didn’t want in the 18 draft, and we might end up with both of them. To me he just has no weapons, gets a bit of it and disposal is OK, but slow by foot and mind is what I see and we are clearing players like that out so don’t see the value of stockpiling mids that are there for depth. That’s exactly why GWS can’t keep him.
We can get him for literally nothing except cap space if he goes to the PSD

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
just out of interest why didnt you want jones back then (rather than now?)

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
just out of interest why didnt you want jones back then (rather than now?)
I certainly don’t want him now. Maybe there is different views here than I have but I see Chase as an absolute bust. I’d do a straight swap for Hately in a heartbeat. Hell, he’d only have to get 4 possessions to be an upgrade.
i was looking at some notes I had made for the 18 draft the other day and I had Chase as being a David Mackay clone. Probably interviews well and a “cracking bloke” as Hamish keeps saying, but just too small to break tackles in the AFL so will end up a 15 possession half back that turns the ball over when there is pressure in big games and finals.

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Hately had done well ;) This is all about a low risk way to increase our midfield strength and with someone who offers a point of difference.

I disagree, he has some weapons. Size is an obvious one seeing we're not in the age where the average midfielder is 185 cm let alone 190 cm +. By that alone contested ball winning will end up being another major weapon and his game seems advanced enough to offer something more than Greenwood/CEY out of the contest.

We're really not clearing out that type of player at the moment. We've just been getting rid of anything that isn't nailed down.

If Hately can rotate forward, be a reliable ball winner, works hard and tackles hard there is definitely a spot for him in our next premiership side. You don't exactly need a star in this role. Just someone who can punch their card in week in week out and facilitate more talented players.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I’m not worried about round 1 next year, I’m worried about our next flag side, and Macrae, Poulter and Powell have a lot higher ceilings than Hately. Of course they may not realize that, but at least it’s a possibility.
i know you were bullish about him in 18, but you were about the only one, and in every game he’s played since he got to the Giants he’s played like he did for Centrals, solid but vanilla, which sums up our midfield already.
put it this way, not many opposition coaches are staying up late worrying about how to deal with Jackson Hately.
That's your opinion only.
I can't see how you can judge Hately when he's never played the role he was drafted on at AFL level....Coniglio, Taranto, Kelly, Ward, Hopper, Perryman all older and have far more experience, then there's the veteran Matt De Boer who takes up the defined midfield tagger role every week and their young GWS Academy product Tom Green...all bar perhaps veterans Ward, tagger De Boer and Perryman would be our No.1 mid if they were on our list. And where did Jackson play for Centrals as an 17 year old (October birthday)?

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I certainly don’t want him now. Maybe there is different views here than I have but I see Chase as an absolute bust. I’d do a straight swap for Hately in a heartbeat. Hell, he’d only have to get 4 possessions to be an upgrade.
i was looking at some notes I had made for the 18 draft the other day and I had Chase as being a David Mackay clone. Probably interviews well and a “cracking bloke” as Hamish keeps saying, but just too small to break tackles in the AFL so will end up a 15 possession half back that turns the ball over when there is pressure in big games and finals.
i think youre being tough but yes we deserve to expect a lot from pick 9. what he does he does well but he doesnt do much. there's something holding him back dont know what. we will know by end 2021 if hes going to make it. dont give up

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
That's your opinion only.
I can't see how you can judge Hately when he's never played the role he was drafted on at AFL level....Coniglio, Taranto, Kelly, Ward, Hopper, Perryman all older and have far more experience, then there's the veteran Matt De Boer who takes up the defined midfield tagger role every week and their young GWS Academy product Tom Green...all bar perhaps veterans Ward, tagger De Boer and Perryman would be our No.1 mid if they were on our list. And where did Jackson play for Centrals as an 17 year old (October birthday)?
Well if your right and they have 6 players that would be our number 1 mid, and they didn’t make the finals, then we are in for a pretty rough decade.🤣
look, agree to differ on Jackson, we seem pretty keen so I guess we will get to see next year. I just hope we approach this draft with the goal to get at least 3 midfielders that can become A graders. That’s how we willbecome a power in a few years, not by trading in players that haven’t made it at a side that didn’t make the finals.

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
i think youre being tough but yes we deserve to expect a lot from pick 9. what he does he does well but he doesnt do much. there's something holding him back dont know what. we will know by end 2021 if hes going to make it. dont give up
I sure hope your right as top 10 picks haven’t exactly been plentiful for us. I just think like Ned and David Mackey, he is an example of the modern player that list managers love who have absolutely amazing attitudes, but just don’t find the football.

Hodgy

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
Adelaide Hills
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Red Bull F1
We wouldn't be having this conversation if Hately had done well ;) This is all about a low risk way to increase our midfield strength and with someone who offers a point of difference.

I disagree, he has some weapons. Size is an obvious one seeing we're not in the age where the average midfielder is 185 cm let alone 190 cm +. By that alone contested ball winning will end up being another major weapon and his game seems advanced enough to offer something more than Greenwood/CEY out of the contest.

We're really not clearing out that type of player at the moment. We've just been getting rid of anything that isn't nailed down.

If Hately can rotate forward, be a reliable ball winner, works hard and tackles hard there is definitely a spot for him in our next premiership side. You don't exactly need a star in this role. Just someone who can punch their card in week in week out and facilitate more talented players.
Fair enough, it certainly is low risk. Maybe I just don’t like low risk options, Its not something I’ve ever really gone for.
assuming we end up with him I hope you are right and he improves rapidly, and also that we don’t give up anything much to get him.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
How much is “very much”?.. that needs to be defined..

Because in this absolute shitshow of a draft year.. if the suns were asking for our pick 20 for him I’d be very happy to see the club hand it over..

After compo/nga bids that pick 20 will be closer to pick 30.. and we’ve seen nothing of the Vic kids this year.. a pick nearing pick 30 could be a very speculative pick in this years draft.

Id rather spend it on a known entity.

The other thing to consider.. Midfielders tend to peak at 25-30..

Look at our midfield.. brad might be gone.

Sloane is well past it

Laird is 26

Smith is 28

Mcrouch is coming into his prime.

Keays looks alright i suppose at 23 years old but im not sure he the answer.

Then we have a big gap all the way back to the likes of shoenburg and Jones.. not a lot in that 20-25 year age group as far as Mids.. would feel more comfortable with the next few years if we filled it.

Bring in hately as a 20 year old and
Will Brodie as a 22 year old.. and we start filling that hole. Both lads have a shitload of potential IMO..

If we can do it using some shitty picks between 20-40 in this years horror show of a draft then I’m all for it...
I don't hate the idea of getting him.

But the going rate for midfielders who aren't getting a game and are paid $400k isn't a top 20 pick. I'd think somewhere late in the 2nd round.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
This sounds like shiny-toyitis.

At the same age, none of Macrae, Powell or Poulter had done what Hately had, and if they were in the 2018 draft they would have been selected 10 to 15 picks after him.

Hately is two years into the system and had continued his development, absolutely smashing it in the NEAFL. He is an absolute no brainer for us.

Mego Red

10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
It’s not the pick, it’s the fact that he will be taking up a list spot. Obviously people here rate him so I will bow out and hope you are all right and he proves me wrong. Cheers
No worries. Your opinion is absolutely as valid as any of the others.

crow2crow

Trapped in Victoria
Sep 13, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I sure hope your right as top 10 picks haven’t exactly been plentiful for us. I just think like Ned and David Mackey, he is an example of the modern player that list managers love who have absolutely amazing attitudes, but just don’t find the football.
im more worried about mchenry. duursma was clearly the better choice at that pick. why we picked another small forward is beyond me.

jones, I know you can argue butters but i dont think even port throught butters would pull this year out like he has

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back