Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I rated the Carlton win but that's more to do with us outplaying a team on the road as a young group, with a then 7 gamer in Sholl getting the BOG (and Schoenberg/Himmelberg having a big impact). Those wins are worth their weight in gold, and really, it cemented Sholl as one who could have a very bright future in this league.

Hawks was just nice to see the team win, and get a bit of optimism in the group.

The Hawthorn win was great because we hadn't beat Hawks in Adelaide since round 1, 2011 - back in the Craig/Footy Park days. We couldn't even beat them here in Adelaide in our grand final year in 2017, they were s**t that year too. So out of all teams to finally beat to get a win, it was the team we've struggled against the most in the past ten years. Finally got to embarass Clarkson instead of him embrassing our coach for once.

Oh I still laugh at how Carlton managed to be down by over 7 goals at half time to us in our wooden spoon year, in a game they needed to win to keep their finals chances alive...

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Never, ever trust late-season form. Not until it's backed up. After all, it's always possible we jagged wins from teams that had mentally checked out of the season.

I'd have Hawthorn ahead of us at the moment, but they're in no-mans-land until Clarkson leaves. There is still an ok group there. It's definitely a team we should be able to get past in the next year or two, however I expect next year is a tad too soon.

Listwise, we're deservedly rated 18th coming into 2021. A couple of solid midfielders in a group that got weaker (seeing Brad Crouch was in our top 3 mids, if not the best midfielder we had at the end of the season), a very good ruckman in ROB, a key forward on the decline in Tex, a gun midfielder who needs a bounceback year in Sloane, and a dependable as ever Talia as our core players. Then it gets really young, and really inexperienced, really quickly. The best case for me is we're rated in the bottom 4 for list strength come 2022, not outright bottom.

I'm becoming more and more optimistic with where this club is going, however, if you get offered 4 wins and 17th place in 2021 now, take it and run.
I think North is easily the worst. Not even close. Yes they flogged us last year, but as others have mentioned, we really struggled with new players and a new coach during a pandemic when we couldn't train together to sort out our system. After playing together for a while that happened eventually. Still bottom 4, but with potential to be better now. Not sure that was the case this time last year

Hawthorn suck ass though so beating Clarko doesn't really do it for me.

The Carlton game was hilarious though given Sholl grew up a Blues supporter. He seemed to really like tearing them a new arsehole.
Beating Carlton was a lot of fun for the lols.

Their supporters were so salty. They had ambitions for the 8.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Never, ever trust late-season form. Not until it's backed up. After all, it's always possible we jagged wins from teams that had mentally checked out of the season.
This is absolutely spot on

Carlton have had how many false dawns based on end of season sympathy wins?

s**t teams have fake improvement first.

Competitive efforts and even wins come because the opposition don't try, rest players, try a few moves, give young players a chance in key roles, ease up for finals or simply aren't switched on when playing a dudlinger.

Or because the s**t team has an end of season burst themselves, playing with freedom with nothing on the line, all fresh as daisies due to months of effort-free performances while their banged up opposition grind it out weekly.

Gives the membership offices something to spruik for the next season.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is absolutely spot on

Carlton have had how many false dawns based on end of season sympathy wins?

sh*t teams have fake improvement first.

Competitive efforts and even wins come because the opposition don't try, rest players, try a few moves, give young players a chance in key roles, ease up for finals or simply aren't switched on when playing a dudlinger.

Or because the sh*t team has an end of season burst themselves, playing with freedom with nothing on the line, all fresh as daisies due to months of effort-free performances while their banged up opposition grind it out weekly.

Gives the membership offices something to spruik for the next season.
I'm not questioning this as I know there's plenty of truth too it. But in our scenario both GWS and Carlton were still finals chances when we played them.

I just checked and GWS were still in the 8 at the time, and Carlton were a game (and %) out of 7th. Both needed big wins when they played the team in 18th.

If you are in that position on the ladder as a club with 2 or 3 rounds to go you don't mess about. You pump the wooden spooner into oblivion and leapfrog 2-3 clubs on percentage!

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
You have to admit though, it was a pretty decent goal...he won't kick many better than that over his career...
It was a good goal but he shouldn't have had the ball in the first place. About a second before, he dropped the ball and should have had a free paid against him. I don't know why they even have that rule when they only pay it 1 out of every 20 times you see it happen.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I'm not questioning this as I know there's plenty of truth too it. But in our scenario both GWS and Carlton were still finals chances when we played them.

I just checked and GWS were still in the 8 at the time, and Carlton were a game (and %) out of 7th. Both needed big wins when they played the team in 18th.

If you are in that position on the ladder as a club with 2 or 3 rounds to go you don't mess about. You pump the wooden spooner into oblivion and leapfrog 2-3 clubs on percentage!
All the pressure on them, every game a must win so pedal to the metal every week which takes its toll, a free hit for us, no expectation

Plus no one does homework about a crap team. *If* we win a few people start saying hey who is this Sholl guy with the nice leg? Who's that Macsomething guy taking hangers up forward? Has anyone put a tag on Laird? Etc and start actually looking at how we play, who to stop

The bad teams always win a few late (Carlton) or a few early (Gold Coast) but it's fools gold.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I rated the Carlton win but that's more to do with us outplaying a team on the road as a young group, with a then 7 gamer in Sholl getting the BOG (and Schoenberg/Himmelberg having a big impact). Those wins are worth their weight in gold, and really, it cemented Sholl as one who could have a very bright future in this league.

Hawks was just nice to see the team win, and get a bit of optimism in the group.
Thought the Carlton win was good in that they've shown under Teague multiple times against better teams than us that they can go on a 6-7 goal run to get themselves back in the game. We managed to hold on enough that they never truly got the sense they were back in it that would give them the extra spark.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Like Dusty's high fend off's
McPherson last year finally did what I've been screaming at players to do for years with this, tackled him by grabbing his fend off arm and swung him round. Instant HTB.

Yeah, I changed from Kristof to Mego Red when Kosi Pickett got selected so early in the draft.

I could change it back, I guess ... It hadn't really occurred to me?
How good are my observation skills? I didn’t even know it was you! 🤣

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
It was a good goal but he shouldn't have had the ball in the first place. About a second before, he dropped the ball and should have had a free paid against him. I don't know why they even have that rule when they only pay it 1 out of every 20 times you see it happen.
Frustrates me so much how often you see a player gets tackled and just drops the ball with no free kick. If they don't kick or hand pass then it is illegal disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back