Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same page

North Melbourne trades Pick 11 and 2019 fourth-round pick to Port Adelaide for Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard and Pick 48.
Hawthorn trades Ryan Burton, Pick 15, Pick 35 and its future fourth-round selection (on-traded from the Western Bulldogs) to Port Adelaide for Chad Wingard and its future third-round selection.
Fremantle trades Pick 6 and 2019 third-round pick to Port Adelaide for Pick 11, 23, 30 and 49.
Brisbane trades Sam Mayes and Pick 5 to Port Adelaide for Pick 6, Pick 35 and its future third-round selection (on-traded from Fremantle).

So I think I have this right (and I think I have missed something)
Port got
Ryan Burton, Sam Mayes and Pick 5, Pick 15, 2019 fourth-round

Port paid
Chad Wingard, Jared Polec, Jasper Pittard and picks 23, 30, 48 and 49 and 2x future third-round selection

So for a part time best 22, a spud, 2 first rounds picks and a future 4th they paid 3 regular best 22, 2 x 2nd round, 4 x 3rd round

I'm sure there is more because 23 is not theirs

End of the day they paid a very high price for Rozee

I disagree with this, because you’ve gone down the wrong path entirely.

How port got the picks to trade for 5 is irrelevant to the point about whether it was within our grasp to do a similar, if not better trade.

All that other noise is an unhelpful distraction

Port traded a bunch of stuff to get a draft hand.

We already had an equivalent or better draft hand

They turned their hand into a significant upgrade

I.e.

“ Fremantle trades Pick 6 and 2019 third-round pick to Port Adelaide for Pick 11, 23, 30 and 49.

Brisbane trades Sam Mayes and Pick 5 to Port Adelaide for Pick 6, Pick 35 and its future third-round selection (on-traded from Fremantle).”

We could easily have bettered that, we chose not. We should have

Last edited:

Crow till I die I highly doubt with any maneuvering, we were getting near Rankine, that draft. The Saints weren't giving up their pick, they knew they had a gun forward with that pick and had zeroed in on him early. The Suns were also locked in, they are planning on getting over the early move blues by drafting kids known to each other, they did it the year after.

If your argument is we should have traded up and got Rozee, then 100% agree with you, we should have and I don't understand why we didn't, except them thinking it's a crap shoot we can't miss ( they did though )so keep all first round picks

If your argument is we should have traded up and got Rozee, then 100% agree with you, we should have and I don't understand why we didn't, except them thinking it's a crap shoot we can't miss ( they did though )so keep all first round picks

We got Jones, McHenry & ultimately Hately from first round of that draft.

Magic 8 ball wouldn’t have done worse.

Are we sure we’re confident we’ve got the right people in the right seats?

Crow till I die I highly doubt with any maneuvering, we were getting near Rankine, that draft. The Saints weren't giving up their pick, they knew they had a gun forward with that pick and had zeroed in on him early. The Suns were also locked in, they are planning on getting over the early move blues by drafting kids known to each other, they did it the year after.

I think either way we had to trade up as high as we could go. Imagine the PR had we got pick 6 then 5 and it was shown we did everything to make that 5 into 3 say but in the end we had to go with 5 and get rozee or b king. We all would have been on board and it would have made the club look really proactive. Instead we are where we are and are hoping like mad that the 2 guts we took are going to end up ok AFL players.

Imagine b king in our forward line or at centre half back in our rebuild. Or rozee rotating through the centre and out of the forward line

I disagree with this, because you’ve gone down the wrong path entirely.

How port got the picks to trade for 5 is irrelevant to the point about whether it was within our grasp to do a similar, if not better trade.

All that other noise is an unhelpful distraction

Port traded a bunch of stuff to get a draft hand.

We already had an equivalent or better draft hand

They turned their hand into a significant upgrade

I.e.

“ Fremantle trades Pick 6 and 2019 third-round pick to Port Adelaide for Pick 11, 23, 30 and 49.

Brisbane trades Sam Mayes and Pick 5 to Port Adelaide for Pick 6, Pick 35 and its future third-round selection (on-traded from Fremantle).”

We could easily have bettered that, we chose not. We should have

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall reading some item at the time suggesting that we had tried to get Brisbane's pick 5, but failed? Maybe we didn't offer enough.

We got Jones, McHenry & ultimately Hately from first round of that draft.

Magic 8 ball wouldn’t have done worse.

Are we sure we’re confident we’ve got the right people in the right seats?

Well if we never sacked the guys the brought us TippetGate, you can see how we don't have the balls to hold any department to account, even the ones that blew a superdraft

I think either way we had to trade up as high as we could go. Imagine the PR had we got pick 6 then 5 and it was shown we did everything to make that 5 into 3 say but in the end we had to go with 5 and get rozee or b king. We all would have been on board and it would have made the club look really proactive. Instead we are where we are and are hoping like mad that the 2 guts we took are going to end up ok AFL players.

Imagine b king in our forward line or at centre half back in our rebuild. Or Rozee rotating through the centre and out of the forward line

Totally agree, it was like we thought we would be able to get one of Luko or Rankine by combining a couple of picks and when we were told blankly to * right off, we had no plan B. It is an indictment on Reid and management that we never thought "we have 3 South Aussie lads in the top 5, we need to get one of them" because we should have and Rozee would have been a great get, goal sense, very good disposal, can win his own ball and kick goals out of his arse.

I sometimes think this club believes that because we have gotten so many diamonds from the rough of late picks, we don't need to get picks in the top handful and it is a shame because as much as these guys are outstanding for their draft pick they are not elite. We should have Rozee running through our midfield delivering the ball into F50 but we have a centre square of helicopter kicks (I mean if O'Brien actually connects with his kicking attempt).

Totally agree, it was like we thought we would be able to get one of Luko or Rankine by combining a couple of picks and when we were told blankly to fu** right off, we had no plan B. It is an indictment on Reid and management that we never thought "we have 3 South Aussie lads in the top 5, we need to get one of them" because we should have and Rozee would have been a great get, goal sense, very good disposal, can win his own ball and kick goals out of his arse.

I sometimes think this club believes that because we have gotten so many diamonds from the rough of late picks, we don't need to get picks in the top handful and it is a shame because as much as these guys are outstanding for their draft pick they are not elite. We should have Rozee running through our midfield delivering the ball into F50 but we have a centre square of helicopter kicks (I mean if O'Brien actually connects with his kicking attempt).
Amen to that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just shows we're the walkover club again
Just needs to step up and say it's not happening.
Rubbish.

Being bitches about COVID changes would just make us look like complete soft utensils.

Man up. It's MUCH harder in a lot of other industries. Just play the games however is possible.

But we did sack the good recruiter for something he didn’t even say!
You mean the very same recruiter that AFL head Demetriou leant on our ceo to sack who then had no problem, no problem at all allowing to walk straight to Collingwood.

I can only imagine collingwood had coveted him and got demetriou to do the rest when opportunity presented

You mean the very same recruiter that AFL head Demetriou leant on our ceo to sack who then had no problem, no problem at all allowing to walk straight to Collingwood.

I can only imagine collingwood had coveted him and got demetriou to do the rest when opportunity presented
I wonder what Demetriou is doing these days...

IMO (and not in hindsight either), at the end of 2018 not only did our list management group fail to trade up into the top 6 as has already been discussed above but even moreso i maintained then that we should have traded both (or at least one) of Sloane and Lynch - from memory i think they were out of contract and would have got us the trade capital to use to get up the draft order to get one or even two of those top 6 players.
I believe that the club did not have the guts to make the hard decisions despite the longer term benefits because at the time we were being lambasted for continually losing players. Poort took the hard option and traded out Wingard and Polec ....... and here we are now.
ie we failed at the trade table.

The fact remains that we went into the 2018 superdraft (with a recognised top 6 draftees) with BOTH a better draft hand and also better valuable tradeable players and we used neither ....... complete and utter failure .... no long term vision.
We are where we are now because it's what we deserved.

(PS on another issue that top 6 aside, i would still have taken McHenry ahead of Duursma - hopefully Ned gets to use his natural skills more often and play his natural role (m/f) and get more midfield time next season rather than be wasted running around like a headless chook in our he forward line trying to make up for the lack of pressure by all our other forwards. I always thought Petrenko was sacrificed in the same way years ago.)

IMO (and not in hindsight either), at the end of 2018 not only did our list management group fail to trade up into the top 6 as has already been discussed above but even moreso i maintained then that we should have traded both (or at least one) of Sloane and Lynch - from memory i think they were out of contract and would have got us the trade capital to use to get up the draft order to get one or even two of those top 6 players.
I believe that the club did not have the guts to make the hard decisions despite the longer term benefits because at the time we were being lambasted for continually losing players. Poort took the hard option and traded out Wingard and Polec ....... and here we are now.
ie we failed at the trade table.

The fact remains that we went into the 2018 superdraft (with a recognised top 6 draftees) with BOTH a better draft hand and also better valuable tradeable players and we used neither ....... complete and utter failure .... no long term vision.
We are where we are now because it's what we deserved.

(PS on another issue that top 6 aside, i would still have taken McHenry ahead of Duursma - hopefully Ned gets to use his natural skills more often and play his natural role (m/f) and get more midfield time next season rather than be wasted running around like a headless chook in our he forward line trying to make up for the lack of pressure by all our other forwards. I always thought Petrenko was sacrificed in the same way years ago.)
Was nothing to do with guts and everything to do with the misbelief that the premiership window was still open.

I wonder what Demetriou is doing these days...
I think I saw that he was sacked (or resigned) from the board of Crown as part of their various corruption enquiries.
The guy has form of running from trouble. Bombers tip off? Left AFL mid crisis. What a hero?

Was nothing to do with guts and everything to do with the misbelief that the premiership window was still open.
From a playing list perspective, I still believe the talent and demographic of the list was there to push towards the flag in 2019. However, the fitness, club culture and coaching line up wasn't up to scratch (Pyke, Campo, Mattner, Godden, Hart, Clarke).

They thought they could turn that around, oblivious to the depths of the broken relationships in place. Knowing what we know now, they would have re-set after 2017...or not had the camp...even though there were no "lingering issues" apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back