Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He's a FA, same with Crouch clubs know the way to get a FA out of a club is to give them a long deal. We won't get Laird on a 3 year deal, just have to hope he does us a favour and goes for a 4 year deal if he does stay.
I don't think the Crows are going to give 5 years to Rory as a 28 year old TBH. If another club offers that then lets just hope he plays so well this year that its for $750K+/year

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think the Crows are going to give 5 years to Rory as a 28 year old TBH. If another club offers that then lets just hope he plays so well this year that its for $750K+/year
ha..you watch the other clubs use the B Crouch model where they know we are not going to offer overs and will structure a deal that sits below band 1 so we don't benefit and they get the player they want without massively overpaying

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
ha..you watch the other clubs use the B Crouch model where they know we are not going to offer overs and will structure a deal that sits below band 1 so we don't benefit and they get the player they want without massively overpaying
Matt and Laird are slightly different cases to Brad.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
no, individual compo picks for individual players. Think only last year - we lost B Crouch AND Hartigan as free agents and got separate compo picks for each player

Atkins as well

and we got three shitty picks...although maybe the AFL thinks "Haggis does better with later picks, he'll waste early ones"

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Sloane 5 year deal is not as bad as everyone makes out. He re-signed with us when the media/camp pile on was in full effect. He'll be around until 2023 to work with the squad and bring the young ones through, and then either retire, go elsewhere, or play year-by-year.

He is a heart and soul player, the sort you build a culture around (along with Tex, Talia, Smith, etc). Guys like Sholl, Pedlar would work harder at training, walk taller, and feel prouder at a club like ours knowing Sloane had their backs, rather than him chasing an extra year in Melbourne.

Even if his on-field output falls below expectations, his off-field contribution should not be under-stated.

I don't understand this, we want to build a culture around a captain that went missing for most of the year and we ended up with the wooden spoon.
I don't like relying on non performing senior players off field traits, instead of their more important on field capabilities to justify their bloated contracts.
How about we deal out contracts for players on field contributions first and let the coaches and management drive the culture of the club.
Because where our club has been for the last three years, no senior player deserves that role.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't understand this, we want to build a culture around a captain that went missing for most of the year and we ended up with the wooden spoon.
I don't like relying on non performing senior players off field traits, instead of their more important on field capabilities to justify their bloated contracts.
How about we deal out contracts for players on field contributions first and let the coaches and management drive the culture of the club.
Because where our club has been for the last three years, no senior player deserves that role.
How are you going to develop the young guys without senior players around. Sloane has runs on the board and will finish one of the better midfielders we’ve had. He could have made more money in Vic, given his wife more media opportunities, had his kids closer to their grandparents, and left a club without much to look forward to over the next 5 years. But he signed on.

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Wow that sounds a bit like Football First. I hope Im wrong but I cant see the crows actually following through on that vision though. Replacing like for like in the administration doesnt count in my book, and leaving such poor achievers on the board and in the administration will not give Nicks much of a chance. Again, I hope im wrong,

The time is ripe for Nicks to stand up and dominate the club at all levels, just like Clarkson did when the hawks were a basket case. i hope he has it in him, as if he cant as coach then I cant see much of our existing administration contributing to a positive change in culture.

they are all money chasers. It’s a job
I agree.

Any player that stays at a Club and is being paid well unders, when he can make much much more is a moron for staying, especially in the current economic climate.

The best thing that Lever, CC and Gov did for their respective families was leaving the Crows for a huge payday at another Club.

They wouldnt have won a flag if they stayed at the Crows and I dont think also these players will win a flag at their new Clubs. Mind you CC is a chance with the Lions, but they would want to do something within the next 2-3 years IMO.

bootrossbootross

minor rules infractor
Jan 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be fair, though - we sling a ludicrous amount of sh*t on Reid here. I think he's mostly done a good job in rebuilding our list post 2017, with some difficult decisions.
That is the brightest, shiniest, glass half fullest appraisal of crows recruitment I have yet seen, i admire the positivity.

Now write one for him but write it as though he wasnt a key leader in the recruitment team that assembled the worst AFL list in recent memory :)

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
How are you going to develop the young guys without senior players around. Sloane has runs on the board and will finish one of the better midfielders we’ve had. He could have made more money in Vic, given his wife more media opportunities, had his kids closer to their grandparents, and left a club without much to look forward to over the next 5 years. But he signed on.

We have a heap of coaches on board, lots of newly appointed coaches from other clubs which appear to have good credentials, maybe we give those guys a go at developing the young guys and see how we go. That's what their job is.
None of what you mentioned above talks about Sloane's performance for the last two years

CrowBox89

Debutant
Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
We have a heap of coaches on board, lots of newly appointed coaches from other clubs which appear to have good credentials, maybe we give those guys a go at developing the young guys and see how we go. That's what their job is.
None of what you mentioned above talks about Sloane's performance for the last two years
Sloane’s output has been well down overall since other teams worked him out in 2017 and put a bigger bodied player/tagger on him, he was great while danger and thommo were taking the oppositions number 1 man week in and week out, when thommo retired and danger left it was quite clear Sloane wasn’t the number one mid that could take a battering week after week, yet the club signed him for a good news story mid way through 2018 instead of making a tough call and cashing in for the SA super draft. this has Tex 2.0 all over it, if Sloane is just getting a game because he is the captain on big $$$ and his performance is below par and keeping a pedlar or berry out of midfield rotation it’s not good and we’ll end up with the fog/tex dilemma all over again. we have this problem until end of 2023...

Sloane’s output has been well down overall since other teams worked him out in 2017 and put a bigger bodied player/tagger on him, he was great while danger and thommo were taking the oppositions number 1 man week in and week out, when thommo retired and danger left it was quite clear Sloane wasn’t the number one mid that could take a battering week after week, yet the club signed him for a good news story mid way through 2018 instead of making a tough call and cashing in for the SA super draft. this has Tex 2.0 all over it, if Sloane is just getting a game because he is the captain on big $$$ and his performance is below par and keeping a pedlar or berry out of midfield rotation it’s not good and we’ll end up with the fog/tex dilemma all over again. we have this problem until end of 2023...

We had other, easier, options available to solve the Fog dilemma then moving Tex on (and that's before factoring in we signed Tex before we knew Fogarty would be on our list)...

Look, I get keeping Sloane. You do it if you think you're in a window, as we had evidently committed too with how we structured everything (where initially the plan seemed to be to blow it all up in 2022). Rory also quietly had a good 2019 (where his output was pretty close to 2017 Rory) before a down 2020, so it's not that unfeasible we see a bounce back year this year. The only genuinely terrible part of this contract is the rebuild was forced on us two years too early, but at least keeping Sloane is preventing us from spreading the cap around to our mediocre players.

Last edited:

weneverland

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Conspiracy theory? St Kilda offered the minimum that was enough to get Brad to commit. That this was low enough to not trigger a band 1 compo was just a bonus. I don't think deliberately screwing us would be on any clubs agenda.

Conspiracy theory? St Kilda offered the minimum that was enough to get Brad to commit. That this was low enough to not trigger a band 1 compo was just a bonus. I don't think deliberately screwing us would be on any clubs agenda.

Pretty much, Saints were only out to look after themselves in that deal, and profited off us both misreading the market for Brad Crouch, and wanting him genuinely gone.

Fair play to them, really, as much as it stings. Whilst different circumstances, it's a similar end result of us screwing GWS out of Hately.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Happy with Binuk’s work.

He’s quoted as saying that JR isn’t interested in his input on contract negotiations so I am not inclined to blame Binuk for any of the dumb contracts.

By putting some calculations around pick values and likely positions he probably influenced us to do more pick swaps vs if we felt more “in the dark”. And I think we’ve done okay with them. Good.

However dunking on a journalist is childish. Felt good in the moment but probably not the wisest. I’m sure the industry won’t hesitate to return the favour.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Happy with Binuk’s work.

He’s quoted as saying that JR isn’t interested in his input on contract negotiations so I am not inclined to blame Binuk for any of the dumb contracts.

By putting some calculations around pick values and likely positions he probably influenced us to do more pick swaps vs if we felt more “in the dark”. And I think we’ve done okay with them. Good.

However dunking on a journalist is childish. Felt good in the moment but probably not the wisest. I’m sure the industry won’t hesitate to return the favour.

absolutely no one has any idea what Binuk does, or if he’s any good at it

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
absolutely no one has any idea what Binuk does, or if he’s any good at it
I listened to an interview he gave some time ago

He described his main work is
- model for valuing picks for pick swaps
- model for rating draftees from their stats

He also watches some games to chime in on recruiting

He doesn’t have any input to contracts because JR said he didn’t need any input

According to Binuk. If I recall correctly.

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Brad was a bit of a unique case as his #1 priority was a 5 year deal because one more big injury and his potential for a long term deal is done for, so he was willing to take less to get it.

Laird won't have that worry and he'll be looking to cash in.

Stepover

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brad was a bit of a unique case as his #1 priority was a 5 year deal because one more big injury and his potential for a long term deal is done for, so he was willing to take less to get it.

Laird won't have that worry and he'll be looking to cash in.

He also ruined his chances of a fatter payday through his late night indiscretion, which ultimately cost us a higher pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back