News Talia Cleared - Case Closed

Remove this Banner Ad

Caro is well connected at AFL House, so if she says:

"The investigation into the alleged leaking of the Western Bulldogs' game plan is drawing to a close with no sanctions expected to be laid against the Talia brothers or the Adelaide Football Club.." ..

..you can pretty much mark it down.

It is also how these things go.

AFL House would have fed Caro and she floats it. Any outrage is used up by the time the decision is handed down and all is well.

Easy issue management 101

Cheney, you f'n moron.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/anger-as-talia-case-nears-close-20151120-gl4bb0.html

Adelaide's Kyle Cheney faces a warning from the AFL's integrity unit after the former Hawk admitted he was joking when he said the Crows had received inside information from former Bulldog Michael Talia before one of this year's elimination finals.

While the AFL investigation into the Talia brothers and the alleged leaking of match information has cleared all parties, there is widespread disenchantment over the league's handling of the findings and its heavy-handed treatment of the Talias.

I look forward to the lynch mob at the kennel making their apologies.

The whole thing just struck me as a farce from the start. I probably held back a touch in condemning the investigation "just in case" it was true. But I never thought it would be THAT ******* FARCICAL.

:eek:

Reckon he deserves more than a warning. He caused an AFL investigation and complete embarrassment for the Talia bothers which also ended with a falling out between Michael and the bulldogs all over a joke. The AFL should come down hard on him.

This is the most awesome outcome ever...cheapest and possibly best (sorry JPK) trade! I love trial by media!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets be real here another sweep under the rug by the AFL but hey cant complain we benefited.

Would have to agree. Weird this late in the piece though, Cheney throws himself under the bus.

"Beveridge quizzed Cheney over two conversations during which he remained reluctant to confess he had been largely exaggerating and joking"

Maybe by that point it was already escalated so he was too embarrassed to admit he was joking? Caro said he only cracked under intense scrutiny from AFL.

Who knows, a storm in a tea cup which ever way you look at it. Pretty embarrassing for everyone involved.

Hopefully a character building experience for Michael, and he can channel his disillusionment into solid lock down roles ;)

Should never have gotten this far. AFL could have dismissed the whole thing months ago. If they'd done that the expectation of a massive scandal would never have grown to the point where a young man ended up expelled from the club he supported as a kid and almost lost his career in footy.

I do find it silly that some apparently regard it a conspiracy if a player deletes messages, though.

Glad it's over. I think he's ended up at a much better club anyway.

The part that makes the whole story hard to believe is...

• One Talia loses his phone on end of season trip
  • Second Talia deleted the messages from his brother
Very convenient. Who deletes messages? The only time anyone ever deletes messages is if they have something in them that they don't want people to see.

We shouldn't be surprised that this is the outcome, the AFL are masters at this.

Should never have gotten this far. AFL could have dismissed the whole thing months ago. If they'd done that the expectation of a massive scandal would never have grown to the point where a young man ended up expelled from the club he supported as a kid and almost lost his career in footy.

I do find it silly that some apparently regard it a conspiracy if a player deletes messages, though.

Glad it's over. I think he's ended up at a much better club anyway.

Personally deleting messages and a lost phone stinks to me. If they were innocent, at least one phone would have had the history. To big a coincidence and really, who deletes messages? Only spam, menu log or something you don't want people to see.

To me, it is similar to the Essendon situation, all evidence deleted so there is not enough evidence to prove the burden of guilt.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here, but something is not quite right.

If the Cheney thing is actually true, the AFL should come down hard on him. Massive fines and suspension for bringing 2 players into these charges (investigation) in addition to Adelaide. This won't happen, which makes the stench worse.

Well only Police can get the Phone records, so who gives a s**t to be honest. I'm more interested in the fact the AFL found "The Crows, too, were found to have no case to answer, with the AFL satisfied that the Adelaide coach had not received any information regarding the Bulldogs' match-day plans."

Pretty hard to use inside information when it never made it to the coaches. Biggest non story I've ever seen

Personally deleting messages and a lost phone stinks to me. If they were innocent, at least one phone would have had the history. To big a coincidence and really, who deletes messages? Only spam, menu log or something you don't want people to see.

To me, it is similar to the Essendon situation, all evidence deleted so there is not enough evidence to prove the burden of guilt.

I know this will be an unpopular opinion here, but something is not quite right.

If the Cheney thing is actually true, the AFL should come down hard on him. Massive fines and suspension for bringing 2 players into these charges (investigation) in addition to Adelaide. This won't happen, which makes the stench worse.

Or...it's completely harmless. The interpretation is open to bias in either direction.

If the Dogs had come out day one and said it had definitively affected the final then fine. Bias must lean to the negative. But seeing they said it didn't I'm prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt.

The whole thing just struck me as a farce from the start. I probably held back a touch in condemning the investigation "just in case" it was true. But I never thought it would be THAT ******* FARCICAL.

:eek:

It should have been obvious that there was nothing to the story from the beginning, Talia had nothing to gain by leaking inside information, why would you shaft your own club in a final if there was no benefit to you from doing so? It doesn't look like there were sums of money involved and there was no suggestion of any match-fixing. The investigation has been nothing but a waste of everyone's time. If he did leak part of the game plan or whatever, then he's an idiot, but it could have been dealt with internally, similar to when Jack Riewoldt made comments about the Tigers' game plan last year. In my mind this was always a club matter and I imagine he would have been given a dressing down by the Dogs when they found out.

"Beveridge quizzed Cheney over two conversations during which he remained reluctant to confess he had been largely exaggerating and joking"

Maybe by that point it was already escalated so he was too embarrassed to admit he was joking? Caro said he only cracked under intense scrutiny from AFL.

Who knows, a storm in a tea cup which ever way you look at it. Pretty embarrassing for everyone involved.

Hopefully a character building experience for Michael, and he can channel his disillusionment into solid lock down roles ;)
If that's the case what does it say about the character of Cheney? What type of a person would refuse to come oput with the truth knowing that innocent people were being slandered?

Very convenient. Who deletes messages? The only time anyone ever deletes messages is if they have something in them that they don't want people to see.

We shouldn't be surprised that this is the outcome, the AFL are masters at this.

Yep, that's a huge coincidence.

I'm pretty sure that a history of message can be obtained from service providers. In this situation the AFL (not being a L.E.A.) wouldn't be able to get a warrant to do so like police, however, I would have suspected that they would ask the Talia's to obtain it from their service providers themselves.

Thanks for jumping to conclusions, oh, I almost forgot...thanks for Talia! Enjoy your 4th round pick next year!

I would have suspected that they would ask the Talia's to obtain it from their service providers themselves.

Exactly, I reckon that the Talia's, if they wanted, would have done this to proove their innocence (if they actually could prove that) . No person wants an investigation like this, or result hanging over you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back