Toast Talia named in AA squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie destroyed Jenkins so badly that your moron coach immediately dropped him and cost you finals.

Enjoy no finals and no Jenkins.

Good luck at your new club Josh. Thanks for the memories.

Talia is a gun - massively under rated. Our midfield has been massacred all year; Talia has held up extremely well.

Robbie destroyed Jenkins so badly that your moron coach immediately dropped him and cost you finals.

Enjoy no finals and no Jenkins.

No need for that mate.

The last two years have given us some insight as to what it’s like to support a s**t football Club - so we can empathize with you guys now.

This seems quite definitive;

No one defended more one-on-one contests than Talia, whose 103 dwarfed Tarrant's 63. Tarrant narrowly won more of them than Talia (36.5 per cent to 34), but the Crow lost only 22.3 per cent of his compared to the Kangaroo's 30.2. Talia also had more spoils (154-139) and tackles (48-37) and had fewer goals kicked on him, but took fewer intercept marks (40-47). His defensive prowess must have won the selectors over, because Tarrant was clearly the more offensive player of the two. Tarrant comfortably had more disposals, metres gained, rebound 50s, inside 50s and score involvements

widely known within afc that talia is the best leader for a few years now but unfortunately isn't top of the pack for popularity.

Yeah, I've always had the impression he's the kind of guy who lets other players know when they're not meeting his expectations, in quite pointed terms. Fair enough, though. If you're going to be that kind of person, you've got to be above reproach yourself in terms of professionalism and there's nobody at the Crows that embodies that more than Talia.

I was surprised to see him named in the squad too, but it makes up for all those years he was overlooked despite being clearly the best defender in the AFL.

Could he be an option for captain?

He comes across as a strong leader type, well spoken, playing record speaks for itself (2xAA, B&F winner), respected across the border.

Only concern would be his body and the amount of training he misses. I don't remember the last full PS he did.

I think people overstate Talia's disposal issues. The bigger issue is what's happening ahead of him, with players leading into the wrong spots, or more often just not leading at all.

If the only option he is given is to hit a player between two opposition players where the ball needs to land in exactly the right spot at the right time, then of course he's going to mess some of those up. We shouldn't expect our KPD to be able to pinpoint kicks with precise accuracy. If we're asking him to do so, then something has gone wrong upfield.

Yes, he has the occasional shank. So does every player. His just look worse because they generally happen close to the opposition goals.

As for Talia being slow, it's just not true. His pace is perfectly fine for a KPD. He plays on a forward that gets to choose when he leads and what direction he leads in, and Talia has to react. Of course he's going to look slow by comparison. Despite this, he still nullifies huge numbers of contests and wins his fair share as well. His pace is fine for the role he plays.

Could he be an option for captain?

He comes across as a strong leader type, well spoken, playing record speaks for itself (2xAA, B&F winner), respected across the border.

Only concern would be his body and the amount of training he misses. I don't remember the last full PS he did.

I think it's too late now, some within the club wanted him captain a few years back but Walsh wanted walker and after the tragedy there was no way they were taking it off him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck to D.Talia

Lucky Rance got injured before Rd6 otherwise he would have had no chance of selection.

I saw another Nth member mention Jenkins in an earlier post & l remembered back to l think it was first Rd2 last year Jenkins took Rance apart he kicked 4 goals on him then he went to Eddie & Eddie kicked a goal on him so 5 in Rd2 his confidence was shot.
In Rd1 last year Charlie Curnow kicked 5 on him then Roughy in Rd3 got 5 or so on him. So 15 in 3 weeks all forgotten about later in the year & he is again named AA full back. The best full backs are at less than 20 goals against for the year he had 15 in the first 3 weeks why is that not the strongest criteria for a full back. I dont care if he goes across and helps out others your primary job is to stop your man something D.Talia does very well as does Tarrant so l dont begrudge Daniel & l look forward to Rance being selected again next year by media proxy

PS: Thanks for kicking those late goals & jumping above North last week....:cool:

I think people overstate Talia's disposal issues. The bigger issue is what's happening ahead of him, with players leading into the wrong spots, or more often just not leading at all.

If the only option he is given is to hit a player between two opposition players where the ball needs to land in exactly the right spot at the right time, then of course he's going to mess some of those up. We shouldn't expect our KPD to be able to pinpoint kicks with precise accuracy. If we're asking him to do so, then something has gone wrong upfield.

Yes, he has the occasional shank. So does every player. His just look worse because they generally happen close to the opposition goals.

As for Talia being slow, it's just not true. His pace is perfectly fine for a KPD. He plays on a forward that gets to choose when he leads and what direction he leads in, and Talia has to react. Of course he's going to look slow by comparison. Despite this, he still nullifies huge numbers of contests and wins his fair share as well. His pace is fine for the role he plays.
Imo his disposal is no better or worse Hartigan who gets absolutely slammed for his disposal.
As a defender there is no contest between the two though.

My issue this season was the "willingness" of our defensive players to put the ball in the hands of Talia & Hartigan, not with massive disposal issues ....but gee don't you want the ball in the hands of the elite ball users ??

We also had no issues puuting the ball in ROB's hands ......:think: ......opposition clubs love it

Imo his disposal is no better or worse Hartigan who gets absolutely slammed for his disposal.
As a defender there is no contest between the two though.
Firstly I don't agree with that, neither are particularly good kicks but if my life hung on the balance of one of Kyle or Daniel's kicks I'm going with Daniel without even a shadow of doubt......decision making and the ability to handle pressure puts Daniel is in another League altogether to Kyle....

Firstly I don't agree with that, neither are particularly good kicks but if my life hung on the balance of one of Kyle or Daniel's kicks I'm going with Daniel without even a shadow of doubt......decision making and the ability to handle pressure puts Daniel is in another League altogether to Kyle....
Still not sure about that, Talia completely turned the west coast game at AO with his decision making and execution. Not for the first time either.
Just because he’s a better defender people forget the other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back