Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't seem to be a thread dedicated to actually discussing the state of our list, so here it is.

So whilst we still have a couple of small changes to make (delistings/draftees), generally speaking I thought now would be a good time to actually start having a look at the make up of our list, age profile, where we have strengths/deficiencies etc etc.

So I came up with the following list of our players:

Name Games Age DOB Height Position Status List Rank
Heppell, Dyson 84 22 14/05/1992 189 Midfielder 1-Lock 1
Watson, Jobe 188 30 8/02/1985 191 Midfielder 1-Lock 2
Hooker, Cale 111 26 13/10/1988 197 Key Defender 1-Lock 3
Goddard, Brendon 247 29 20/05/1985 189 Midfielder 1-Lock 4
Hibberd, Michael 63 25 3/01/1990 187 Half-Back 1-Lock 5
Hurley, Michael 100 24 1/06/1990 195 Key Defender 1-Lock 6
Carlisle, Jake 68 23 1/10/1991 200 Key Forward 1-Lock 7
Bellchambers, Tom 69 25 9/07/1989 202 Ruck 1-Lock 8
Zaharakis, David 110 25 21/02/1990 185 Midfielder 1-Lock 9
Winderlich, Jason 128 30 10/10/1984 188 Small Forward 1-Lock 10
Fletcher, Dustin 393 39 7/05/1975 198 Key Defender 1-Lock 11
Chapman, Paul 271 33 5/11/1981 179 Small Forward 1-Lock 12
Daniher, Joe 26 21 4/03/1994 201 Key Forward 1-Lock 13
Cooney, Adam 219 29 30/09/1985 185 Midfielder 1-Lock 14
Merrett, Zachary 20 19 3/10/1995 180 Small Forward 1-Lock 15
Myers, David 83 25 30/06/1989 191 Midfielder 2-Senior 16
Baguley, Mark 50 27 21/05/1987 181 Half-Back 2-Senior 17
Dempsey, Courtenay 106 27 28/08/1987 187 Half-Back 2-Senior 18
Hocking, Heath 119 27 27/12/1987 186 Midfielder 2-Senior 19
Colyer, Travis 46 23 24/08/1991 175 Midfielder 2-Senior 20
Giles, Jonathan 51 27 8/01/1988 200 Ruck 2-Senior 21
Howlett, Ben 97 26 21/10/1988 180 Midfielder 2-Senior 22
Stanton, Brent 226 28 1/05/1986 185 Midfielder 2-Senior 23
Ambrose, Patrick (R) 16 23 1/09/1991 191 Key Forward 2-Senior 24
Gleeson, Martin 9 20 25/08/1994 186 Midfielder 2-Senior 25
Merrett, Jackson 28 22 27/02/1993 187 Small Forward 2-Senior 26
Melksham, Jake 96 23 29/08/1991 186 Midfielder 3-Fringe 27
Dalgleish, Lauchlan 3 21 22/06/1993 185 Midfielder 3-Fringe 28
Gwilt, James 126 28 11/08/1986 188 Key Defender 3-Fringe 29
Browne, Alex 8 22 9/08/1992 188 Midfielder 3-Fringe 30
Ashby, Jason 5 20 16/05/1994 187 Half-Back 3-Fringe 31
Fantasia, Orazio 3 19 14/09/1995 178 Small Forward 3-Fringe 32
Pears, Tayte 68 25 24/03/1990 192 Key Defender 3-Fringe 33
Aylett, Kurt 3 23 2/04/1992 188 Midfielder 3-Fringe 34
Steinberg, Ariel (R) 3 22 26/08/1992 191 Key Defender 3-Fringe 35
Kommer, Nicholas 19 24 28/09/1990 184 Small Forward 3-Fringe 36
Kavanagh, Elliott 7 21 19/05/1993 187 Midfielder 3-Fringe 37
Edwards, Shaun 12 21 13/12/1993 189 Midfielder 3-Fringe 38
Hams, Will 2 20 14/07/1994 180 Half-Back 3-Fringe 39
Dell'Olio, Corey (R) 16 25 8/12/1989 177 Small Forward 4-Outer 40
O'Brien, Nicholas 5 21 26/06/1993 188 Midfielder 4-Outer 41
Hardingham, Kyle 65 26 1/09/1988 186 Half-Back 4-Outer 42
Van Unen, Dylan 1 24 22/06/1990 189 Midfielder 4-Outer 43
Rayner, Johnny (R) 0 24 25/03/1991 184 Midfielder 4-Outer 44
Thurlow, Fraser (R) 0 22 6/01/1993 200 Ruck 4-Outer 45
Gregory, Sean 0 21 20/01/1994 196 Key Defender 4-Outer 46
Now before anyone goes and loses their s**t, remember this is HIGHLY subjective, and really only my opinion. More than happy for you to disagree with me (thats why we're here) but no need to go full * - you never go full *.

So some explanation;

Position - I kept it very simple and allocated a position in one of six areas; Key forward, key defender, midfielder, small forward, half-back and ruck. Also, when I had a choice as to where to put them, I ultimately decided to list them where I thought they would likely spend the bulk of their career (were they to have a long and fruitful one).

Status - This is me trying to describe how I feel about a player in the side. A 'lock' is exactly that. If they are fit and not being rested or anything else, they play seniors. A 'senior' player is someone that I feel is not quite a lock in the side, but in reality is very likely to play seniors. Fringe players are those players where through injury or hole in the list, if they are playing seniors we have a weakness. Outer players are those I really don't think should be on the list.

List Rank - This was just me quickly trying to rank our players from top to bottom, it doesn't really mean much.

So how do we look?

Well the first very pleasing thing is that we have 25 players that I would comfortably have running out on the field for us each week - meaning assuming a completely injury free list (a pipedream I know), players are very unlucky to miss a game. Moreover, those 25 players are made up of no fewer than 3 for each position; that is we have very good players all over the ground.

Our midfield bats very deep. This might surprise some that aren't paying attention, but if you haven't noticed the Bombers midfield has become one of the stronger in the league (not the strongest mind you). Considering that clubs want 8-10 players running through there during a game, the fact that we have a dozen players that are comfortably good players gives us a nice depth.

Believe it or not, what was considered a strength a couple years ago is now a possible weakness. We only have the six key position players that are of quality, and generally you'd want all six on the park. We lose one to injury or suspension and all of a sudden we are having to rejig the side (see Hurley/Carlisle switching, Goddard out of FF etc etc). We've all noticed this. The loss of Ryder hurts our ability to cover this shortfall. The recruitment of Gwilt helps give us some depth, but in reality we need to find another one or two KPPs either through recruitment of a established players or through the draft that can play at a high level here.

Age wise, I know there isn't a hard and fast rule but I'm of the belief that the following two guidelines should be worked towards:

1) No more than 4-6 30+ players on the list
2) Try and aim for anout half of your list at 23 and under.

We've done alright here, we have a nice long list of young players (a good lot of which look like they'll be quality players), and our lack of older players allowed us to comfortably hold a Chapman without compromising our list profile. You can question the quality of players, but in terms of a pure numbers game we have a nice spread of junior to senior players.

So pick 17 + 20?

Personally whilst I'm a believer in taking the best player available, if they difference in quality isn't significant I'd be looking to target a key forward with our first pick. If Tom Lamb is available we have to take him, but barring that I'd be looking Goddard or Marchbank. Hell, both with 17 and 20 if we can manage it. Barring that, I know it would be pulling the trigger slightly early, but Nakia Cockatoo at 20 would suit us perfectly.

We come out with Goddard and Cockatoo - I'll be freakin stoked.

But if players come in......

Yup, some have got to go.

Ryder and Jetta are the only confirmed senior departures, and we've brought in Cooney, Gwilt and Giles - already one too many. We need to make three picks at the draft, one will be Ambrose will be one, meaning we have FOUR senior delistings to make (not including Ryder and Jetta). So who goes?

Hardingham is clearly gone. And I think Van Unen is likely toast as well. Gregory you would think would struggle to hold a senior spot. All three are uncontracted. Which means (assuming Winders re-signs) we have to delist a contracted player. We bat deepest in the middle - I reckon O'Brien may face the chop and be re-rookied.

Del and Thurlow are gone you would think from the rookie list. Steinberg I'd be inclined to keep. Re-draft O'Brien, bring in Long - and we're done....

So what do you think of our list?

I'll break it down differently (I'm going with Gregory*, van Unen, Hardingham, Jetta, Ryder and Hams* off the senior list, Thurlow, Steinberg and Dell'Olio off the rookie list. *Going onto the rookie list, and Jake Long/Conor McKenna going onto the rookie list)

Defence

Tall/Medium defenders:

Cale Hooker, Michael Hurley, Dustin Fletcher, Tayte Pears, James Gwilt. Rookie: Sean Gregory

Good depth and starting group, biggest strength on our list IMO.

Small defenders:

Mark Baguley, Courtenay Dempsey, Michael Hibberd, Jason Ashby, Shaun Edwards. Rookies: Jake Long, Conor McKenna

Another strength, good top end talent and young depth who can play

Biggest strength, a young key defender with good mobility would help but otherwise I like it.

Midfield

Inside midfielders:

Jobe Watson, Nick O'Brien, Jake Melksham, Dyson Heppell, David Myers, Elliott Kavanagh, Heath Hocking, Ben Howlett, Kurt Aylett. Rookie: Will Hams

The problem with this group is that other than Aylett and sort of Melksham and Kavanagh, is that it's slow. Watson, Heppell, Myers and to an extent Hocking can get away with it. Personally as much as I love Benny and Buddha, this should be their last contract at the EFC.

Outside midfielders:

Brent Stanton, Brendan Goddard, David Zaharakis, Jackson Merrett, Alex Browne, Travis Colyer, Martin Gleeson, Lauchlan Dalgleish. Rookie: Johnny Rayner

The good thing is that the only 2 players who are "slow" are Stanton, who's endurance is excellent, and Goddard, who's got great skills. This group has a lot of talent and if they fill that talent our outside core will be the envy of the league.

Overall, about half of them are too slow, but the ball winning ability is there and the skills can be developed in most of the ones that have it as a weakness.

Forwards

Half Forwards:

Paul Chapman, Adam Cooney, Zach Merrett, Nick Kommer

They all bring something different to the table, which is what you need from this sort of group.

Key Forwards:

Jake Carlisle, Patrick Ambrose

Obviously you can include Joe Daniher here but it's definitely a weakness in depth, we need another one, maybe 2.

Small/Medium Forwards:

Jason Winderlich

I think with 4 Half Forwards it's not panic stations, so I'm not too worried about that aspect of our forward line

Overall a big weakness, will be the biggest struggle next season again. Definitely need a key forward with flexibility.

Rucks

Ruck/forwards

Tom Bellchambers, Jonathon Giles

Two good ruckmen both of whom can play forward, but we need at least one more ruck, probably 2.

Forward/rucks

Joe Daniher

Could be listed under the key forward component but should be listed here. Struggles in the ruck, needs to work on it.

Overall, players are good, but we have no depth here. Needs addressing.

Overall I think we're short 1 or 2 depth ruckmen, 1 or 2 flexible key forwards and a quick inside midfielder over the next couple of drafts. I think Browne could be developed into an inside mid with pace that could ease the pain. So for me:

Pick 17: De Goey/Cockatoo
Pick 20: Lamb/Keitel/Hammelman

Rookie pick 1: Kovacevic/Tagliabue

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid read Eth, my only disagreement is the small forward comment - not many clubs operate with what used to be the traditional small forward anymore, which is why I lumped all non KPF into one group.

I'd love to pick up Cockatoo though, really fills a need for us and could probably play AFL next year.

So we've taken aim at our under sieged, under performing forward line who we seem to acknowledge isn't the only source of our problems. Lets take aim at the midfielders who are running one way. the guys not blocking for team mates allowing them to run into space. the main players who were apart of our fanatical 'forward press' last year.

Discuss?

Its all part of the rich tapestry of problems at EFC. There's no doubt that our midfield gets off lightly. The main problem our midfield has is most of them are once paced and not particularly good at delivering into the forward 50 - Jobe/Goddard excluded (for the delivery part). This is further compounded by a lack of hard leading from our forwards.

The amount of times I see our forward line completely static is crazy they definitely are part of the problem. Defensively our midfield sometimes gets absolutely cut up and get found out for being second to the ball. Also in recent weeks our midfield could teach classes in how to fumble on the inside.

If you separate our side into 4 sections - ruck, fwd, mid, back. I'd say only ruck/back are performing at a level of a top 8 or better side. We have some talent in the midfield but they just aren't performing. Our forward line - everyone is either too young, too old, too injury prone, too inconsistent or some combination thereof.

I can't think of a single mid who's playing better than last year.

Heppell and Melk possible breaking even.

i'd say Goddard's been better. Heppell too, but in a different role to last year.

The problem is that they look up, nobody is presenting, taking up the space ahead, or creating space behind them. What Bomber wants them to do in this situation is obviously to maintain possession, and they kick backwards, before getting frustrated and kicking to a contest where there's either a stoppage or turnover most of the time.

The problem is that they look up, nobody is presenting, taking up the space ahead, or creating space behind them. What Bomber wants them to do in this situation is obviously to maintain possession, and they kick backwards, before getting frustrated and kicking to a contest where there's either a stoppage or turnover most of the time.

This. We have the laziest forwards in the league.

Heppell is the only midfielder who has been playing better then last year IMO.

Zaharakis has been the most noticeable mid having a down year for me but hes finally had a game worthy of praise last week.

This. We have the laziest forwards in the league.
I would set up a training drill for both the midfielders and the forwards, where we have the ball at HB, forcing our HF's to lead into the space and our extra mids to drop in the space behind. If the HF's don't work up enough, ake them do 100 push ups and sit ups. Or something to that effect, force them to lead and push up the ground or punish them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not really that simple. Our players are pressed to far foward and then we have this stupid idea of holding the ball up so the opposition just flood back slowly but surely putting more pressure on our players further back in the field. Imo the players can't be blamed for this it is a product of the coach and his game plan has been worked out and smashed to pieces. If a team like the saints bulldogs and lions and push us or beats us then clearly its just not working.

I would set up a training drill for both the midfielders and the forwards, where we have the ball at HB, forcing our HF's to lead into the space and our extra mids to drop in the space behind. If the HF's don't work up enough, ake them do 100 push ups and sit ups. Or something to that effect, force them to lead and push up the ground or punish them

The space? The midfielders would have to be moving to create space instead of just treading water in 1 third of the ground.

Its not really that simple. Our players are pressed to far foward and then we have this stupid idea of holding the ball up so the opposition just flood back slowly but surely putting more pressure on our players further back in the field. Imo the players can't be blamed for this it is a product of the coach and his game plan has been worked out and smashed to pieces. If a team like the saints bulldogs and lions and push us or beats us then clearly its just not working.
It really is. Whenever I see us taking a mark on or around defensive 50, we have the then deep forwards around the centre line just jogging back into the forward line. Our forwards are simply not working hard enough up the ground.
The space? The midfielders would have to be moving to create space instead of just treading water in 1 third of the ground.
I agree, but that's as much the forward line's fault as the midfield's.

Watching a team like Adelaide harass the s**t out of Collingwood last week makes us look second-rate. That was what won the game for them and it broke the Pies' composure.

As stated, we have plenty of issues, but not pressuring the ball carrier is a big one. And when do, we have three blokes in the immediate vicinity who don't even bloody neutralise the man or the ball, leaving us exposed via quick handballs to the outside runners.

This aspect was improved against the Swans from previous weeks, but not good enough. It really should be a non-negotiable.

What we also lack is the outside run straight of a scrimmage to quickly break the throng and get it into an even-numbers contest in the forward half (if not hit a target). I don't understand why we wouldn't always be able to generate this after a contested ball win via two handballs from the contest out, and to the runner. It seems like most teams can do this against us pretty frequently.

One thing we can change overnight is making it a focus on getting the ball into the hands of Myers, Goddard, Chapman and Melksham and giving them primary responsibility for delivery into the forward line.

Zaharakis has lost his quality disposal status but can regain following completion of current probationary period.

Every other midfielder ranges between poor and average (and yes Watson is only an average kick of the footy) until further notice (Jackson Merrett being arguably the primary butcher of that final kick in the side).

Just think that we need to be more realistic about our limitations. Too often Myers and Goddard, in particular, are sharing the ball with vastly inferior kicks when in range (which is relative to their respective cannons) even though they are the guys who should be making that final pass. If any of these previously mentioned four have or are about to receive the ball the message to the forwards should be clear...find some bloody space and do it quickly.

It might actually help to create some predictability of ball movement to help our forward time leads and get more out of Myers and Melksham whose skills we largely waste.

Last edited:
As stated, we have plenty of issues, but not pressuring the ball carrier is a big one. And when do, we have three blokes in the immediate vicinity who don't even bloody neutralise the man or the ball, leaving us exposed via quick handballs to the outside runners.

This a very valid point. It falls down to lack pace on multiple fronts, not quick enough to outnumber at a contest, and slow defensive decision making. On heaps of occasions last week I saw two players go to the ball carrier and leave an exit man free. Some of the great defensive players fake pressure on the ball carrier and target that release handball because they can read where it's going, we don't seem to have many who can do that, probably only Watson. We need to start backing in the closest man to lay the tackle.

This a very valid point. It falls down to lack pace on multiple fronts, not quick enough to outnumber at a contest, and slow defensive decision making. On heaps of occasions last week I saw two players go to the ball carrier and leave an exit man free. Some of the great defensive players fake pressure on the ball carrier and target that release handball because they can read where it's going, we don't seem to have many who can do that, probably only Watson. We need to start backing in the closest man to lay the tackle.
This and many other peoples points are a result of our form and energy not being 100%. We are sluggish (for whatever reason), we are frustrated (for obvious reasons), we lack belief and confidence as a result. Moments of doubt are always creeping in on the ball carrier and there is a lot of second guessing going on.
I swear it is all as a result of Bombers attempts to get us to play different styles and pace of footy. We have been a one gear team for the past 3 years. Flat out or not showing up at all. The only area on the field that is immune to the issue is defence where the we have not tried to change anything because we already had it right. The boys are really struggling to pick up each others tempo and everything looks disjointed as a result.
The good news is that we don't actually have to succeed in learning this gear change. So long as we win enough games before we start ramping up the intensity, then we can revert to the method of previous years and play the last third of this season as if it is the first third. It's like Bomber is just holding the lid on the pressure cooker as long as he can so we don't burn out before the finals. Just sit back and imagine what it will be like for the players when they are cleared by ASADA, Hird comes back and it is time to play finals and wreak revenge! You watch Carlisle in the forward line at the point in time! Pity the fool minding space in front of the big man then!

Spot on. But some of it is pretty obvious, you would think. If you see a guy with the ball, and your teammate next to him, and another opponent in the vicinity, you'd go to him, wouldn't you?! Maybe we are backing the man under the back too much every time to win the hard ball (ie, Watson) and just waiting for the receive. If it spills out to the next guy, sure we go for it, but if it's clean out the other way in the first instance, they get a clean break.

Watching a team like Adelaide harass the s**t out of Collingwood last week makes us look second-rate. That was what won the game for them and it broke the Pies' composure.

What the crows do have is a number of 70-80 metre players with pace, which we absolutely don't and we absolutely need. That's the dimension that we lack, the rest is fine, despite being a bit out of form.

We've got one midfielder that you'd say was physically 'explosive', it's something we really need to address, on the inside and the outside

What the crows do have is a number of 70-80 metre players with pace, which we absolutely don't and we absolutely need. That's the dimension that we lack, the rest is fine, despite being a bit out of form.

We've got one midfielder that you'd say was physically 'explosive', it's something we really need to address, on the inside and the outside

I agree with you. But these are two issues that 'make up the rich tapestry of problems'.

One's about being able to explode in attack when in possession, the other is about limiting, stopping and turning over opposition possession.

I have just learned that we average the second-lowest tackles in the league. Whilst this obviously correlates to an extent to us playing keepings-off footy, it is an area that could be improved. I say that noting that (1) Hawks are lowest tackling team for obvious reasons and (2) there is not much differential between tackling averages - the top tackling team (Geelong) averages 75.1 tackles, we average 63.2.

We've been more often letting opponents get free in space and getting it to our blokes free in space - and this is partially due to our blokes not running to free space when they need to and us getting clogged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back