Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see that any of our immediate list needs are especially dire going into the draft period. Well positioned to just pick up the best available player. Would love for a Worpel or Parker type slider to get out to our #34 but I've generally been pleased with the drafting we've done in recent years and I'm sure our team will get us a good player.

Even though there aren't any urgent needs we do still have some areas that lack a bit of quality/depth. I've separated into whether I think we need someone ready to go or just someone to develop for a few years time. I'd like to see us at least address the lockdown small defender role with someone if nothing else as that's something I think we really need in 2019.

Ready to go

Lockdown small defender with pace
Dangerous small forward

To develop
Key forward (to develop)
Ruckman to develop
Big bodied inside midfielder to develop
Running machine outside midfielder to develop

I don't see that any of our immediate list needs are especially dire going into the draft period. Well positioned to just pick up the best available player. Would love for a Worpel or Parker type slider to get out to our #34 but I've generally been pleased with the drafting we've done in recent years and I'm sure our team will get us a good player.

Even though there aren't any urgent needs we do still have some areas that lack a bit of quality/depth. I've separated into whether I think we need someone ready to go or just someone to develop for a few years time. I'd like to see us at least address the lockdown small defender role with someone if nothing else as that's something I think we really need in 2019.

Ready to go

Lockdown small defender with pace
Dangerous small forward

To develop
Key forward (to develop)
Ruckman to develop
Big bodied inside midfielder to develop
Running machine outside midfielder to develop

Don’t see a small lock down defender as a priority. Small forwards that kicked more than two goals on us this year. Bruest, Walters and Hannan, Sidebottom (3). That’s all.

We struggle mostly with powerful mediums who play tall, Caddy, Martin, De Goey types, even the crap versions of those types get us as well, the likes of Holman, Tabener, Watts, Fristch, Wood, who all kicked 3 or more on us.

Don’t see a small lock down defender as a priority. Small forwards that kicked more than two goals on us this year. Bruest, Walters and Hannan, Sidebottom (3). That’s all.

We struggle mostly with powerful mediums who play tall, Caddy, Martin, De Goey types, even the crap versions of those types get us as well, the likes of Holman, Tabener, Watts, Fristch, Wood, who all kicked 3 or more on us.

we'd be hoping Francis or Redman can take care of this issue in future plus the addition of Shiel with hopefully the trucks influence to shape our transition to defence.

Well a big part of my reasoning is that Baguley is no longer up to it and McNiece hasn't worked out. If we don't get someone then McGrath will regularly get shifted back as soon as we get an injury or against certain teams that are playing small forward lines. We also had a good injury run from Saad, McKenna and McGrath but you can't always rely on that.

I reckon we have some good medium sized types but they were all struck down by injury/developing: Gleeson, Ridley and Redman. Even Francis is an option for some of those guys.

Whether we really struggle on the mediums or it's a matter of some excellent players having kicked goals aside, Ridley, Redman, Francis and Zerk-Thatcher have hardly played a game between them at AFL level.

Edit: blitzer already said it.

So focused on trade week I momentarily forgot about the improvement we can expect from the likes of McGrath, Laverde, Begley, Francis. Competition for spots will be intense. Top four is my expectation.

I think this is the best list we've had since the early 2000s. What do others think? Arguably, the only thing we lack is a very good second key forward, but Richmond seemed to do fine with just Riewoldt, and Collingwood made the GF with just Cox and Mihocek, so it's probably unnecessary.

If Worsfold can't get this list to finals next year it will be a bit of an indictment.
I think if this list doesn't go deep into September next year it's going to be root and branch review time and a bunch of assistant coaches in the firing line, if not the senior coach. I think we have reason to be fairly optimistic though given when finished 2018 as the form team and out list has only improved since the last round.

I think if this list doesn't go deep into September next year it's going to be root and branch review time and a bunch of assistant coaches in the firing line, if not the senior coach. I think we have reason to be fairly optimistic though given when finished 2018 as the form team and out list has only improved since the last round.

Something lingy said stuck with me too about how you can tell when a team is on the cusp of something great when they pick up plenty of interstate wins. Towards the end of the season we had wins over the eagles, lions, port, giants all away games. That's something I take away.

And I agree.. we simply can't afford to not win a final next year without heads being called for. Who knows who. We cannot afford to have a start like we did last year too. Need to be on from round 1.

Such a balanced list.

Something lingy said stuck with me too about how you can tell when a team is on the cusp of something great when they pick up plenty of interstate wins. Towards the end of the season we had wins over the eagles, lions, port, giants all away games. That's something I take away.

And I agree.. we simply can't afford to not win a final next year without heads being called for. Who knows who. We cannot afford to have a start like we did last year too. Need to be on from round 1.

Such a balanced list.
Probably the only correct thing Ling said all year tbh. The same thing occurred to me too, it's a sign of a maturing side that prepares thoroughly regardless of the venue and hostility of the crowd.

The rules have actually changed re: having to use a draft pick to upgrade a rookie. So McKernan will cost a spot on the senior list but not pick 84. With Colyer, Goddard, Jerrett and Green going out; bringing in Shiel, upgrading McKernan leaves us with 2 senior lists spots currently.

Baguley and Luenberger will be retained on a 1 year deal (hopefully Hartley too - Dogs may have interest). Futures of Dea and Long up in the air, I think they will both be delisted and we will take picks 34, 66 and 84 to the draft. Would also consider throwing a 1-2 year deal at an out of contract forward such as Lachie Tiziani from GWS and get him as a DFA.
It still essentially costs whatever the pick is, we simply wouldn't use it.

Overall I think it'll be a case of:

Cut/retire: Long, Leuenberger, Dea? (speculation he may go into the police force or something?)
Keep: Baguley, Hartley
DFA: Decent reserve ruck that can play forward.
ND: Bytel, Hugo Munn, Hind
RD: Fletcher, outside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe people want to cut Leuenberger. He’s an absolutely ideal reserve ruckman. We’re just going to have to find another one if we do.

Yep, he can come in and hold his own. He is reliable. Without him we are effectively relying on Draper (who probably isn't up to rucking 90% of a game at AFL level) or McKernan (who is useful around the ground but a horrible tap ruckman). Cutting him is just an unnecessary risk, particularly given Bellchambers history of injury.

Yep, he can come in and hold his own. He is reliable. Without him we are effectively relying on Draper (who probably isn't up to rucking 90% of a game at AFL level) or McKernan (who is useful around the ground but a horrible tap ruckman). Cutting him is just an unnecessary risk, particularly given Bellchambers history of injury.

Would be craziness. I guarantee another club would pick him up in a heartbeat.

What are peoples thoughts on playing Daniher as the main KPF with Stringer as the second KPF and then surrounding them with mediums and smalls. I like Daniher getting some ruck time, it clearly brings him into the game so I don't see the need for McKernan. I also think Stringer one out in the goal square is so stressful for opposition defenders that we need to utilise it. I would happily go with the below forward line and if Brown, Stewart or McKernan show amazing form in the VFL then they come in or if we get an injury they come in.

HF - Fantasia - Daniher - Laverde
FF - Tipungwuti - Stringer - Rotating mid (Smith, Shiel, Merrett, Langford) or Begley

What are peoples thoughts on playing Daniher as the main KPF with Stringer as the second KPF and then surrounding them with mediums and smalls. I like Daniher getting some ruck time, it clearly brings him into the game so I don't see the need for McKernan. I also think Stringer one out in the goal square is so stressful for opposition defenders that we need to utilise it. I would happily go with the below forward line and if Brown, Stewart or McKernan show amazing form in the VFL then they come in or if we get an injury they come in.

FF - Tipungwuti - Stringer - Rotating mid (Smith, Shiel, Merrett, Langford) or Begley

It possibly works but Laverde has to be a lot better than he was this past season. If he isn't a marking target or cannot cause damage off the deck then it allows defenders to peel off and put more pressure on Daniher / Stringer.

Depends on form. If McKernan performs like he did this year, he’ll be playing seniors.

Can’t believe people want to cut Leuenberger. He’s an absolutely ideal reserve ruckman. We’re just going to have to find another one if we do.
More of a case that he might retire.

Overall I think it'll be a case of:

Cut/retire: Long, Leuenberger, Dea? (speculation he may go into the police force or something?)
Keep: Baguley, Hartley
DFA: Decent reserve ruck that can play forward.
ND: Bytel, Hugo Munn, Hind
RD: Fletcher, outside mid.

Pretty spot on, but I am guessing Long is staying since he is still listed and Colyer is out.

Ok so with hartley re signing and Bags to be rookied, we have 34 on the senior list including Shiel signed up for next year.
Long, Dea, are yet to be re signed

Seeing that we need a minimum of 38 senior listed players next year, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Baguley is apparently to be re-rookied and even though Smack signed a 2yr deal there was no mention of promotion (you can be a rookie for 3 years) and Draper + Mynott (surely) being given another year after solid showings, that is 4 rookies and 38 overall. McNeice remains unsigned.

We have to take 3 picks to the draft, even if one or two are rookie upgrades.
To get to the minimum of 38 senior listed players we need 4 more senior listed players - so lets play a game! How do we reckon it shakes out.

For me:
McNeice: 1 year rookie contract
Long: Delisted
Dea: 1 year deal.

No promotions.

Take 3 live picks to the national draft (32, 66 and 84)
1 live pick to the Rookie draft (Plus Baguley being rookied).

That makes 38 senior and 6 rookie players (plus Lavender as cat B) who doesnt take a list spot. Optimal seeing that Shiel has come on reasonable coin and the players last year as well. Keeps salary down but gives flexibility as rookies can play without someone being on the LTI list.

EDIT: I counted Leuey as signed as he is apparently close to doing so though not officially as yet.

Last edited:
Ok so with hartley re signing and Bags to be rookied, we have 34 on the senior list including Shiel signed up for next year.
Long, Dea, are yet to be re signed

Seeing that we need a minimum of 38 senior listed players next year, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Baguley is apparently to be re-rookied and even though Smack signed a 2yr deal there was no mention of promotion (you can be a rookie for 3 years) and Draper + Mynott (surely) being given another year after solid showings, that is 4 rookies and 38 overall. McNeice remains unsigned.

We have to take 3 picks to the draft, even if one or two are rookie upgrades.
To get to the minimum of 38 senior listed players we need 4 more senior listed players - so lets play a game! How do we reckon it shakes out.

For me:
McNeice: 1 year rookie contract
Long: Delisted
Dea: 1 year deal.

No promotions.

Take 3 live picks to the national draft (32, 66 and 84)
1 live pick to the Rookie draft (Plus Baguley being rookied).

That makes 38 senior and 6 rookie players (plus Lavender as cat B) who doesnt take a list spot. Optimal seeing that Shiel has come on reasonable coin and the players last year as well. Keeps salary down but gives flexibility as rookies can play without someone being on the LTI list.

EDIT: I counted Leuey as signed as he is apparently close to doing so though not officially as yet.

I find it hard to believe McNiece has earned another year. Thought he really struggled this year and as a mature ager in his second year the club, don't think he will keep his spot.

I hope Dea gets a 1 year deal. Played his role more often than not this year. Did struggle against genuine quality at times but worthwhile depth.

Long probably gets delisted but if it came down to him or McNiece I'd favour Long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back