Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it says a lot about our list when Saad, Smith and Shiel (Stringer on the comeback trail an exception) seem to have more run, fitness, skill and intent in the contest than most of the list in their first year here.

One of the most demoralizing aspects of last year was that no long term player of ours seemed to take their game to the next level. (aside from maybe McKenna and Tippa)

Zaka has 2 more years on his contract. unless he wants out he is going nowhere.

Myers on the other hand I would happily let go along with Bags, Ambrose, Brown, Hartley and D. Clarke from the main list.

Long, Mcneice and Dea can go from the rookie list too.

That two years might see Zaka out, I can't see him playing elsewhere and as I understand it Bags was 50:50 this year but they decided to give him another year.

Myers is frustrating, he had a chance from 55 out virtually dead in front but his kick never looked like going close. I would have thought his long raking kick would suit the new 6-6-6 rule yet he didn't seem to use it at all.

How this myth persists has me stumped....

Every word out of the playing group, coaching group and club suggests BJ was highly respected. The club bestowed life membership upon him despite not meeting any of the criteria re games payed etc....think they would do this if he was the twat he is often made out to be?

You maybe right about all of that...but the thing is, i just don’t like him and think he’s a bit of a knob.
Wonderful long career and elite in his prime etc etc.

Would’ve been just complete madness to play him this year. We have too many U25s that have to be developed to waste a slot on a half paced veteran.

He’s gone. Retired. No use pondering now.

Our top 10 players must lift to that level required to match and lead the way for the group.

That’s what good teams do.

You maybe right about all of that...but the thing is, i just don’t like him and think he’s a bit of a knob.
Wonderful long career and elite in his prime etc etc.

Would’ve been just complete madness to play him this year. We have too many U25s that have to be developed to waste a slot on a half paced veteran.

He’s gone. Retired. No use pondering now.

Our top 10 players must lift to that level required to match and lead the way for the group.

That’s what good teams do.
Mate - I advocated that he should retire 12 months before he did. But that wasn’t the point of your post.

It was specifically directed at his leadership, or lack of, and I think the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming at this point.

the interviews ive seen of Jobe over the years gave insight into his presence.
there was a driven intensity about him that was overwhelming, but it looked like it would inspire those to follow him.

Lets not forget he didnt begin as the most talented footballer, and built himself through self improvement and challenging himself.

I dont get that vibe from Heppell.
One wonders if the playing group pick up on the same vibe.

This is where a Hooker or Merrett make more sense. guys who improved themselves beyond their draft pick
or a Shiel/Smith, who came up in a GWS getting smashed but stood up for themselves early days.

Hooker, Dev & Merrett would make for a LG that i could see guiding us out of this rut
Hooker maybe.

Personally don’t see Merrett, Shiel or Smith as captain material. They’re all great players.

If I’m honest, we don’t really have a Cripps/Cotchin/Selwood/Watson type to drag us over the line if we’re not playing well as a team.

Hooker maybe.

Personally don’t see Merrett, Shiel or Smith as captain material. They’re all great players.

If I’m honest, we don’t really have a Cripps/Cotchin/Selwood/Watson type to drag us over the line if we’re not playing well as a team.

He had a bad game last Sunday but I think McGrath has this attitude.

It doesn't help that Heps is supported by Zach Merrett (hardly fired a shot on the weekend), David Myers (hardly fired a shot all career), Joe Daniher (out injured) and Orazio Fantasia (a forward not known for his team defence). We don't have any senior players who really lead by example in this regard

I dont know what the fuss is about Heppell is fine as captain.

The biggest problem I can see is the example of his defensive game but it's never been a problem for any elite mid who becomes captain, and Callan Ward aside, none of whom are good defensively.

I dont think Heppell is elite or A grade or however you want to think about it but I doubt the players and club think that way. I am also confident that he's respected.

I dont know what the fuss is about Heppell is fine as captain.

The biggest problem I can see is the example of his defensive game but it's never been a problem for any elite mid who becomes captain, and Callan Ward aside, none of whom are good defensively.

I dont think Heppell is elite or A grade or however you want to think about it but I doubt the players and club think that way. I am also confident that he's respected.

I think for a lot of people it would be about his relaxed public demeanor and his hair-cut. Which are both very important of course.

I think for a lot of people it would be about his relaxed public demeanor and his hair-cut. Which are both very important of course.

Just to carry on, the leadership by example thing is basically an excuse for poor leadership in a football context.

Players need support/encouragement, a firm hand and instruction none of which is meaningfully provided by the silent gun.

It's a fallacy.

I think his unflappable demeanor is a wonderful attribute as captain.
Imagine the leader of your club being on an emotional pendulum whenever something bad happens or you put in a crap performance. In a crisis you need calm guys at the front as that will seep down the rest of the club.

That is different from having a leader that doesnt care - which is a massive issue. But you cant tell me Hepp doesnt care. You can criticize Hepp all you want for different reasons but i cant remember a gane where he didnt have a fair crack at it (including last weekend where he was one of the few that did).

As an outsider I think he was an excellent leader. From all reports a real professional with how he went about training and preparation, and you can't say the guy didn't bust his balls to win every game he played. Better leader than your current captain IMO.

Heppell is BJs equal in terms of training and preparation. So I guess it comes down more to which leadership style you prefer. Overly relaxed demeanour or over the top white line fever both have their positives and negatives.

Last edited:
I think the problem with Hepp is he just doesn't come across as the type to walks up to the group and tells it how many of us would like it said, the other problem is we don't have someone who we know will run through a pack or take the game on, in many cases that player isn't the captain but is someone considered an on field leader so who the heck is Essendon's on field leader and that is flowing back onto Hepp whether that is fair or not of his off field work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion the one player that is a massive let down is zakka the year we had all the boys out on suspension he led really well but since then has been really ordinary.

something I posted in review thread:

Here is the side I would like to see by the end of the year:

B: Francis - Hooker - Gleeson
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Saad
C: McGrath - Parish - Merrett
HF: Langford - Daniher - Stringer
F: Fantasia - Stewart - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Draper - Shiel - Heppell
I/C: Begley - Ridley - Redman - Laverde

I like it. The only thing I'd change is swapping Stringer and Stewart. I want Stringer to be the goal square man with fewer kms while up forward so he has plenty in reserve for runs on the ball. I also think if we have Langford, Daniher and Stewart running lots of kms as marking targets we move the ball quicker and Fantasia is the guy who leads at the ball from deep, then Stringer and Tippa are the best to take advantage of the mayhem that fast ball-movement causes opposition zones. I also believe that Daniher and Stewart draw the tall intercepting defenders out of the 50.

I would like Langford, Laverde, Begley, Stringer and Tippa to be part of the forward-midfield rotation, taking 6-10 centre bounces between them per quarter. Fantasia to spend some time on the wing. Laverde and Langford to include a few minutes on the wing as part of their midfield rotation.

McGrath to remain part of the backline, but part of the midfield rotation. McGrath's midfield minutes to be on ball, not a wing. Heppell, Gleeson, Ridley, Redman and McKenna to rotate through halfback and the wing.

I'll back Bellchambers to recapture his form by the end of the season, but dropping him for Draper once or twice in the meantime might get the message across, as well as get some games into Draper. I think our long term plan with Draper is that he's a back up that gets the occasional game this year, almost neck and neck with Bellchambers next year and in 2021 Draper is the man and Bellchambers is the experienced depth on the list while we start developing the kid to follow on from Draper. I would choose Stewart as the backup ruck normally, but if he's feeling strong it would be good to have Hooker running through the ground taking contested marks for small bursts as well, especially if we don't have too many talls to cover down back.

I'd also give Francis a few minutes up forward each half of the game. There is no reason why we couldn't set up with Hooker and Hurley, two of Ridley, Redman and Gleeson and two of Saad, McKenna and McGrath down back. If Stringer is having a run on the ball it would be good for Francis to start in the goal square and have a licence to fly for marks. While he will primarily be a backman it will be great for his development to spend time up forward and continue to have him as that saviour type that he was at VFL level. It is also another thing the opposition has to plan for.

There is one change I'd make to your side. Smith in for Parish. I am sure it was just a mistake to not put Smith in there though. Of the mids in that side, the only ones I have had as part of forward or backline rotation are Smith Shiel and Merrett. I'd play all of them as pure mids. Smith to be our player who spends the most time on the bench to manage his knees. Merrett should be on a wing, like you have, because he's just too small to have as a key ball winner. We need to try to get him on the outside to devastate with his disposal as well.

B: Francis - Hurley - Saad
HB: McKenna - Hooker - Gleeson
C: McGrath - Smith - Merrett
HF: Langford - Daniher - Stewart
F: Fantasia - Stringer - McDonald-Tipungwuti
R: Bellchambers - Shiel - Heppell
I/C: Begley - Ridley - Redman - Laverde

This team has a huge midfield rotation of Shiel, Smith, McGrath, Begley, Laverde, Heppell, Tippa, Stringer, Langford.
Wings rotation of Merret, Heppell, Gleeson, Redman, Ridley, Fantasia, Langford and McKenna.
Ruck rotations of Bellchambers, Stewart and Hooker.

The only 100% stay at home defenders are Hurley and Saad. The only 100% stay at home forward is Daniher.

This not only means we have heaps of depth moving through the midfield. If, for example, Langford has three roles he can fill each game so if he's off in one it will take the pressure off because he has other ways to contribute.

We have marking, run and aggression on the wings. We have three very good intercepting marks in the backline. If we want we could have McGrath, Saad and McKenna all down back, which would create so much speed it would be impossible to stop.

Our midfield can set up with the size of one of Laverde, Stringer or Langford and have the breakaway speed of Shiel, Smith or McGrath.

We have a half-forward line that can run hard and mark. We have a small forward who can lead hard at the ball. We have two forwards who can feast on chaos.

Despite how bad we have started this year, that is a team I would expect to win at least one final. If it had a good run with injuries and built up confidence perhaps more than one final.

Some of the players who are frustratingly spudish or soft would still make decent depth.

Draper, Z. Clarke, Ambrose, Hartley, Myers, Zaka, Parish, Baguely, Brown, McKernan, Guelfi, Jok, D. Clarke, McNiece, Dea and Zerk-Thatcher can all play a role in a team that is flying.

I also think that with an extended run in the 2s might see Myers, Zaka, Parish and McKernan find the form to bang the door down for reselection. I also see Parish playing most weeks because he'd be my next in line for the midfield and it is doubtful that you'd have everyone available on a given week. If he gets going then Zaka is definitely best 22, but he should not be playing in current form. Myers has lots of tools, like body size and kicking. For mine, McKernan plays while Daniher is out and one of Brown, Ambrose or Hartley play while Hooker is out.

And how's keeping Stanton on the list 1 year too long working out for us?

James Kelly? What was the point of another year.

Brendon Goddard, same deal.

Paul Chapman another 1 year too long.

Hawks and Geelong have all moved on their superstars yet we struggle to make one tough decision. Luke Hodge is one of their best captains of all time and best players yet is in his second year at Brisbane.
Meanwhile at Essendon, Bellchambers, Langford, Laverde (lol) are all contracted until the end of 2020. And of course Zaharakis is contracted until the end 2021. At least Myers contracted until end of this season...

Says the tweet is unavailable?
Probably been deleted, but something about Dan Richardson calling a meeting and the football department and the board(?) agreeing that the list is capable of finishing top 4. I remember it was a blue tick account but not sure which one, Daniel Cherny or Mitch Cleary or someone like that perhaps?

Recent meeting or preseason?

Recent meeting. It was last Thursday.

Essendon footy department and board share the view they have a list capable of contending for top 4. That was the view of footy manager Dan Richardson when he presented to a scheduled board meeting last Thursday @7NewsMelbourne @talkingfooty

Recent meeting. It was last Thursday.

Well that’s concerning. Delusion from the top down it seems. I wonder what the metrics they base it on are, probably age and experience is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back