Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/toms...ating-on-essendon-coach-john-worsfold-c-37128

Internally I think the board think they’ve got a list capable competing for the Top 8, possibly the top 4. That list was discussed at a scheduled board meeting last Thursday.

It’s a view I believe shared by Essendon management and recruiters. Externally, the talk all season is that the Bombers are top four material.

He's changed his tune now to he "thinks" and he "believes" that to be the case. Still, I think it's more believeable than not.

TheFrenchCut

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
At the fan forum* prior to the end of 2017, part of the club's list of goals - - in between promoting synergy and directing workflow efficiently, of course - - was to make/compete for the top four for the next few seasons.

The goalpost shifting since this has been fun.

*I hate that I know this

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/toms...ating-on-essendon-coach-john-worsfold-c-37128

He's changed his tune now to he "thinks" and he "believes" that to be the case. Still, I think it's more believeable than not.

Why is this being brought up at a board meeting at the start of the season?

It's like if we can group think ourselves into believing it, it must be true or at least true enough to pursue misguided marketing campaigns.

What does the board and all of its collective football wisdom know about whether the list is a top 4 or top 8 list anyway?

It seems to me that who ever is leaking to Brown had better work out what he or she is trying to say/achieve becaus these tweets dont really leave the football department or board anywhere to hide. They seem like a pack of clueless, deluded tossers.

The only logical approach I can see is that they're moving to sack Worsfold because he cant get the best out of the list. That's a futile exercise without a proper and objective assessment of the list and what it needs to compete with the best sides. Otherwise we'll be back here in 3 years time.

How does the new coach not get shoe horned into the same position?

Two or three of Roos, Terry Wallace, Malthouse, Keane and Mark Williams are where I'd start with instructions to be as brutal as they can about the playing list only. The names aren't that important, there will be others. What about that footy manager who used to be with North and Collingwood? There have to be some credible retired people out there.

This s**t from the board/footy department illustrates perfectly why we are where we are and almost makes me feel sorry for Worsfold. How does he do anything that looks like a concession to not playing the best side (i.e. punting senior players for team balance and selection integrity).

This is why you dont play the media game because you cant control it and you end up beholden to it.

Maybe the board should change the constitution again so that it can appoint even more directors to agree with it.

It seems to me that who ever is leaking to Brown had better work out what he or she is trying to say/achieve because these tweets dont really leave the football department or board anywhere to hide. They seem like a pack of clueless, deluded tossers.

The only logical approach I can see is that they're moving to sack Worsfold because he cant get the best out of the list. That's a futile exercise without a proper and objective assessment of the list and what it needs to compete with the best sides. Otherwise we'll be back here in 3 years time.
Yup, agree. I don't think whoever it was leaked it without understanding the ramifications of doing so (some things from the saga must have been learnt, surely?), so either the board have collectively agreed to leak this info, or an individual has done so off their own back, which means there's another agenda in there somewhere.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Saw it mentioned of Fox Sports that Gary and Tim had been discussing how Brayden Sier was a perfect fit for what we need. I assume that is their SEN show?

Have to say I agree with that one. Piss Myers off trade for Sier and slot him in and build around him, Smith, Parish, Merrett and Shiel as your midfield.

Saw it mentioned of Fox Sports that Gary and Tim had been discussing how Brayden Sier was a perfect fit for what we need. I assume that is their SEN show?

Have to say I agree with that one. Piss Myers off trade for Sier and slot him in and build around him, Smith, Parish, Merrett and Shiel as your midfield.
Was thinking this myself, Sier would be a huge upgrade on Myers. We'd actually have somebody to replace Watson's impact at the contests.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
After what Collingwood have done for Sier (persisting with him when he wasn't even VFL standard for 2 years) if he leaves now just as he's breaking out I'd rather not have him.
That just sounds stubborn. If he's an upgrade with upside and he's getable, you try and get him. I've seen the light with Myers I think. He's serviceable at best and the window is now (after we win in R3).

So he should risk having no career because a side developed him?
He'll get games at Collingwood.
That just sounds stubborn. If he's an upgrade with upside and he's getable, you try and get him. I've seen the light with Myers I think. He's serviceable at best and the window is now (after we win in R3).
I'd sooner chase nobody honestly. Cap space has to be getting tight and I can't see him leaving for anything but overs.

Get game or be established best 22?

Its madness for players who are looking at years on the fringe to not leave.

What happens if he starts pinging ankles at Sandi and a few guns get recruited in the meantime?
He was best 22 at the end of last year and was one of their best in the GF. I think he's returning from injury that's why he's playing VFL.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

As much as I agree with the notion (Sier in Myers out) the context I do not. The guy stuck with us when the club took away a year from his profession.

I hope if he is traded it's done with grace and that applies to any of the remaining banned players.

As much as I agree with the notion (Sier in Myers out) the context I do not. The guy stuck with us when the club took away a year from his profession.

I hope if he is traded it's done with grace and that applies to any of the remaining banned players.

Oh for sure, forgive my blunt posting. I don't literally mean turf him/delist him but I also don't want to hold onto senior players that have currency and aren't part of the next premiership.

If we can ship players off for parts to build a side around I strongly suggest this is explored. This goes for everyone.

I'm not at tear everything down and rebuild stage. I'd like to see how we go with John for a full season and make calls at the end of the season on whether he deserves to continue or if drastic shakeups are needed. For what it's worth I think John could be the coach to win us that flag.
The sad part is if drastic measures were needed they should have occurred this off season. If a gutting of the football department was needed, we have just wasted a season of the bulk of our list.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
That was pre Beams.
Just read an article on him from android feed. No injury issues, just can't get a game with Beams in the side.

Interesting stat. Kicking efficiency while being pressured.

His back-half of last year was outstanding, averaging 22 disposals, 12 contested possessions and four clearances from his final eight games. And according to Champion Data, his kicking efficiency while being pressured of 79.9 per cent was No. 1 at Collingwood.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...n/news-story/b691a5485b7d5f8f656cb53435cc3f6f

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
With Langford starting the year horribly and Clarke being seeming unplayable due to poor kicking do we have enough midfield prospects on the list?

Should a Ridley or Redman be given time to develop as midfielders?

Max Headroom

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2014
Off with the fairies
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting article in The Age today

Essendon is back on track after a cultural shift led to a recruiting splurge.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essend...ot-back-in-the-hunt-20190427-p51hsi.html?btis

Extract below:

Critics from rival clubs would say the Bombers had not traded picks because they were harder to deal with than the Senate crossbench. Alternatively, one could say they valued their picks too highly to part with them. Whatever the cause, they did not trade in seasoned quality (Brendon Goddard was a free agent).
But 2017 brought a sea change. By then, the Bombers – with clear air – had recognised that there was now a mixed economy, and that, in a liberalised player market, teams could not solely draft and, further, that the blockbuster clubs could sell the likes of the Anzac Day and Dreamtime games to homecoming Giants and Suns. Thompson's old club, the Cats, had shifted 180 degrees from drafting to trading, often targeting locals with a yearning for home such as Patrick Dangerfield.
So, in 2017, Essendon traded their first pick to Greater Western Sydney for Devon Smith (Geelong unable to afford him), rolled the dice on the talented, trouble-prone Jake Stringer and beat off Carlton to sign Adam Saad from the Suns.
Last year, they doubled down on needs-based trading, winning the frenzied scramble for GWS star Dylan Shiel, paying the un-Essendon-like premium of two first-round choices for the midfielder.
Of the storylines that were drowned out by the graceless post-game booing, the most consequential were these: that the Essendon Football Club, mired in mediocrity for a long time, appears back in the hunt, and that their conversion to Hawthorn-like trading has hastened their recovery from the debilitating impact of the saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back