Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd say it's not a good bet.

Sometimes these sort of picks just don't work out.

They don't work out because the decision is made for the wrong reasons.

Two of the most consistently effective ruckmen of the last 10 years, Mumford and Nic Nat, have "s**t" numbers.

The most important factors is physical application around the ball. Brad Ottens, Darren Jolly, Clarke Keating are more examples of low possession high impact players (particularly at the right time of year).

What are the odds that Clarke, who never displayed the physicality in the 100 games he did play, was playing dream football in the WAFL that would convert (given history, etc)? They are very low.

I doubt anyone we pay money to watched him play more than once.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Hartley not getting any better hurts us for talls. If he could come in an do a good job we could confidently send Hooker.

Clarke is so bad, I'd rather play Tippa in the ruck.

I also agree with km running forward. I think we already have the solutions on our list. Hams is elite runner. Langford should play on half forward line as poor man's Gunston. Stewart needs to stay out of the gym and just run over summer. I'd also have Daniher getting on his bike a lot, but still forward of the ball.

Last edited:
Hartley not getting any better hurts us for talls.
He has, it's just that Ambrose and Francis are better. When he was drafted he was struggling to get involved offensively at VFL level, no such problems anymore.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
He has, it's just that Ambrose and Francis are better. When he was drafted he was struggling to get involved offensively at VFL level, no such problems anymore.
Why can't he cover Hooker so he can play forward?

Surely McKernan in the ruck and Hooker forward is better than having a complete and utter spud like Clarke in the side.

Seb78

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I've said this a fews time but I would try Stewart as a defender I mean look at Jones and Casboult at Carlton.

Is tall,athletic,strong and can take a grab reckon it's worth a shot.
giphy-8.gif

Surely McKernan in the ruck and Hooker forward is better than having a complete and utter spud like Clarke in the side.
Because rightly or wrongly that's the way the selection committee have elected to go.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I've said this a fews time but I would try Stewart as a defender I mean look at Jones and Casboult at Carlton.

Is tall,athletic,strong and can take a grab reckon it's worth a shot.

Not a bad suggestion at all.

Not sure it ends up being necessary but there is a lot about his game that lends itself to defence.

Probably needed forward more at the stage but I wouldn't be against it.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Not a bad suggestion at all.

Not sure it ends up being necessary but there is a lot about his game that lends itself to defence.

Probably needed forward more at the stage but I wouldn't be against it.
Is definitely needed forward more. We have an abundance of backline talent. Wouldn't be against developing the ability to play back though, for the sake of versatility.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Is definitely needed forward more. We have an abundance of backline talent. Wouldn't be against developing the ability to play back though, for the sake of versatility.

We do but we dont have a big guy that can run or even a Hooker replacement.

Hartley has neither the run nor the marking ability even if he has improved.

No doubt the priority ought to be forward st this stage.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Stewart is a strange scenario.

He was on a decent roll with his footy and doing everything pretty well, even improving his marking which was a knock early....next thing the stutter run and all of a sudden he's spiralling like a clipped fighter plane in an old world war 2 movie.

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

What about Brown in the ruck. He may get beaten physically but man he’ll run opposition rucks off their feet. Plus he has a good leap.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Stewart is a strange scenario.

He was on a decent roll with his footy and doing everything pretty well, even improving his marking which was a knock early....next thing the stutter run and all of a sudden he's spiralling like a clipped fighter plane in an old world war 2 movie.
The stutter run did it. I cringed every time.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
What about Brown in the ruck. He may get beaten physically but man he’ll run opposition rucks off their feet. Plus he has a good leap.

He'd get manhandled by a Gawn, I've never seen him have any kind of ruck technique, and he's not explosive enough to break away from congestion. He's also no stronger a runner than Grundy or Goldstein imo, Blicavs is the only one that is really on another level and even he's not really a viable first ruck option because he'd get cleaned up by a first string ruckman.

Clarke is the best of a bad set of options, McKernan is a very good second ruck and did OK against Aliir because Aliir isn't a first ruck either, but we've seen him struggle against your traditional ruckmen, whereas Clarke should be better against Goldstein than an Aliir type.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon

Bob81

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Essendon

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
An Essendon mate of mine mentioned he'd look to trade Tippa because of the inconsistency or lack of performance when we are poor.

I hadn't really considered the opinion but my thoughts at the time was that I'd be very surprised if he or the club wanted to part ways (because of all the connection and his story especially).

But if he wants to go then we trade hard and move on.

carloss

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2007
around
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Thought Essendon was a bit soft in the past. But watching Dylan Clarke & Ambrose, I think they add a bit of toughness to the side.

Oct 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics
An Essendon mate of mine mentioned he'd look to trade Tippa because of the inconsistency or lack of performance when we are poor.

I hadn't really considered the opinion but my thoughts at the time was that I'd be very surprised if he or the club wanted to part ways (because of all the connection and his story especially).

But if he wants to go then we trade hard and move on.
Interesting post, as this occurred before the Saturday night game.

Curious to gague your thoughts on this now after he had a ripping game against Norf.

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Interesting post, as this occurred before the Saturday night game.

Curious to gague your thoughts on this now after he had a ripping game against Norf.
Id say the same thing now. As much as I love Tippa, if he wants to go and we could find another piece of the puzzle then so be it.

I'd also repeat that given where he's come from to build his career and also in terms of background id never want the club to be pushing him anywhere..

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
You need to work out who was critically evaluating his performances and sack that person or maybe just not listen again.

What's the bet no one was actually watching him play and they went on the back of recommendations?

I'd say it's a good bet.
Does your tin-foil hat come in an XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back