Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know why they wouldn't include Stringer in that stat. Chuck his 25 in and that puts 5th on the list.
But who really cares which type of player is kicking the goals, as long as the team is kicking them.

And if they want and actually damning stat, use the points for as a measuring tool

(Were something like 16th)

Fortunately our defence has been working well.

That said we aren't that bad now, we were 11th end of last round for points for.

That said if we add stringer, brown, Joe, smack and lav we have 60 from our key forwards. Which is decent enough.

Don't know why they wouldn't include Stringer in that stat. Chuck his 25 in and that puts 5th on the list.
But who really cares which type of player is kicking the goals, as long as the team is kicking them.

If you even assume below average production from a fit Joe we move into the top 6-7 on this list. A nothing stat without context

Giving the 2020 best 22 a think. Assuming full fitness and pre-seasons for all (lol)

Italics = bench players

Redman Hurley Gleeson/Francis
Saad Ambrose McKenna
-Settled backline. With the option of bringing Hooker back if necessary.

TBC* Clarke Parish/Smith
Merrett Heppell Shiel/McGrath
-This is our best midfield sans-Stringer busting it open with cameos
Should be first picked week in week out

Langford/Laverde Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Hooker Stringer

Laverde McGrath Smith Francis bench.
Emergency from Ridley Zaka McKernan Brown Guelfi and co

*Once Draper is good to go, it's probably time to give him the R'OB treatment and get him to dislodge TBC with some standout performances. Assuming he stays.

Getting the likes of Smith, Raz and Daniher back, plus more of the Hurley/Gleeson combo that works well should equate to a decent finish.
I feel we're turning the corner with the style and mentality at the club.
Not like last year where we had some glitzy wins amongst some poor losses.

Not a lot of pressure to bring in a superstar this year (though arguably upgrading on one or both of Langford and Laverde would put us in great stead).
Build depth.

If there's one area of our list that we need to fix right this bloody second its our ruck division. Bellchambers is an average ruck and getting up there in years too and yet without him we've been struggling so hard its not even funny.

Draper may yet be the great white hope but he's coming back from an ACL and getting big offers from other clubs without having even played a game.

I'd like to see us get another mature ruck (one that's not as bad at football as Zac Clarke) and a development prospect. If there was a genuine first ruck interested I would be happy to see us go after them too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we actually a slow side or do we just not run hard enough?

Seems like we are always second to the ball and watching other teams they just seem to be able to generate uncontested marks and cover defensive transition way more than us.

Leg speed wise we'd be among the fastest teams in the league. Don't think we utilise it particularly well.

My take on 2020

Forward

Brown
Daniher
Fantasia
Gown
Ham
Houlahan
Langford
McDonald-Tipungwuti
McKernan
Mosquito
Stewart
Stringer

Defence

Ambrose
Francis
Gleeson
Guelfi
Hartley
Hooker
Hurley
McKenna
Redman
Ridley
Saad
Zerk-Thatcher

Midfield

Begley
Clarke, D
Heppell
Jok
Laverde
McGrath
Merrett
Mutch
Mynott
Parish
Snelling
Shiel
Smith
Zaharakis

Ruck

Draper

Departures

Baguley - thanks for your service
Bellchambers - just too slow now imho. Effective in the ruck but once it hits the deck, it's like having 17 players on the ground. I wouldn't back him to get through a full season.
Dea - handy type but we are stocked for HBFers
Long - thanks for your service
McNiece (a little unsure where he's at in the Cat B scheme of things... if he can stay there in 2020 as a virtual list "free hit", then you'd keep him around).
Myers - thanks for your service
Clarke, Z - just not up to it

Priorities

- Two full-time ruckmen. One mature (there's quite a few available) who can perhaps give us two years... initially as #1 ruck then with a view to handing over to a recovered Draper. Port Adelaide could be the target here... they have multiple rucks on their list and somebody like Lycett isn't playing seniors. The other, perhaps somebody a little younger with long-term improvement.... whether that's a draftee or somebody already playing state league seniors. If Draper goes, we'll need three.

- Midfield - Laverde / McGrath / Begley / Snelling... as far as I'm concerned they should be in the midfield group from day 1 of pre-season.

Beyond that, midfielders should be our target draft-wise... in terms of list balance, I don't think we have any big holes in defence or attack.

IN: Lewis Taylor (Bris), Brayden Sier (Coll), Darcy Tucker (Freo), Cam Ellis-Yolmen (Adel) and a ruckman
Lewy's a former Rising Star who i think would relish a fresh start as a forward/mid - not injury prone like Raz and good around the packs
Sier big bodied mid who can find the footy but needs to polish his skills
Darcy Tucker to come home to VIC - the perfect option as a rebound defender or shutdown man marker
CEM i think would be a great addition. Ball winner. Good tackler and fierce at it.
Any half decent ruckman not getting a game at AFL or VFL level better than Z.Clarke

Tradables: Brown, Zaka, Raz, Langford, Hartley, Gleeson

Must sign: Franga, Tippa, Redman, D.Clarke, Jok, Draper, Mingma and the Guelf

Adios: Bags, Dea, Mcniece, Long, Myers, Houlahan, Lavender (already ret.)

IN: Lewis Taylor (Bris), Brayden Sier (Coll), Darcy Tucker (Freo), Cam Ellis-Yolmen (Adel) and a ruckman
Lewy's a former Rising Star who i think would relish a fresh start as a forward/mid - not injury prone like Raz and good around the packs
Sier big bodied mid who can find the footy but needs to polish his skills
Darcy Tucker to come home to VIC - the perfect option as a rebound defender or shutdown man marker
CEM i think would be a great addition. Ball winner. Good tackler and fierce at it.
Any half decent ruckman not getting a game at AFL or VFL level better than Z.Clarke

Tradables: Brown, Zaka, Raz, Langford, Hartley, Gleeson

Must sign: Franga, Tippa, Redman, D.Clarke, Jok, Draper, Mingma and the Guelf

Adios: Bags, Dea, Mcniece, Long, Myers, Houlahan, Lavender (already ret.)

hmmm can't see any of those ins happening

Biggest problem we have is too many players who have shortcomings in areas. We've built a list without the necessary height and strength required to consistently challenge.

Hurley and Ambrose are undersized for defenders. Hurley has bad wrists and is not a beast against the bigger forwards.
Hooker has the right size but injuries and father time are slowing him down.
Gleeson doesn't have an AFL level body in regards to strength.
Francis is undersized and not mobile enough to be the utility we need at this stage.
Our whole midfield is undersized.
Our rucks have no mobility.
We have too many plodders and tried to plug midfield holes with Myers and Langford and have failed.
We have journeymen forwards who are probably only playing AFL because we had a year where half our side was suspended.

Moving on from positions/list

Leadership rejig: Heppell v Merrett for capt. Hooker and Hurley should be in the LG ahead of Joey and Fanta.

On another note, I'd have a chat to Goddard as a personal mentor for training standards and prep. Maybe bring Roo as fwd coach.

Need better leadership around the club.

If there's one area of our list that we need to fix right this bloody second its our ruck division. Bellchambers is an average ruck and getting up there in years too and yet without him we've been struggling so hard its not even funny.

Draper may yet be the great white hope but he's coming back from an ACL and getting big offers from other clubs without having even played a game.

I'd like to see us get another mature ruck (one that's not as bad at football as Zac Clarke) and a development prospect. If there was a genuine first ruck interested I would be happy to see us go after them too.

Might be worth having a look at Preus and Lycett, who are both currently stuck in the 2s but are pretty good, physical no.1 rucks.

Saints apparently a chance to nab Goldstein...would be for money you'd think if he left. Bombers could offer him similar and gives Draper a few more years to develop before becoming the no.1 ruck.

Moving on from positions/list

Leadership rejig: Heppell v Merrett for capt. Hooker and Hurley should be in the LG ahead of Joey and Fanta.

On another note, I'd have a chat to Goddard as a personal mentor for training standards and prep. Maybe bring Roo as fwd coach.

Need better leadership around the club.
Roughead please.

In all honesty I want to hit the draft, other than trading for someone like Archie Smith or Scott Jones.

If adelaide grab Grundy then we need ROB, wouldnt cost the world money wise. Draft pick for him might be too much and id say pies would go hard for him if they lost Grundy.

Every club has a main 4 inside mids. Ours next year need to be Zerrett, Parish, Mcgrath, D.Shiel next year. The minor guys in there need to be the explosive forwards Stringer, Tippa, Devon Smith

If adelaide grab Grundy then we need ROB, wouldnt cost the world money wise. Draft pick for him might be too much and id say pies would go hard for him if they lost Grundy.

Every club has a main 4 inside mids. Ours next year need to be Zerrett, Parish, Mcgrath, D.Shiel next year. The minor guys in there need to be the explosive forwards Stringer, Tippa, Devon Smith

Isnt this our midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back