Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton can take the good with the bad because they're adding the cream to a list that looks particularly well balanced (bear in mind I have a very high opinion of Jack Silvagni as an inside mid).
Yes, we all have out flaws.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
Yeah I'd still be prioritising a key forward and ruckman. After that he'd be okay.
i think all 3 are equal needs

1) a ruck to get us service and compete around the ground
2) an extractor/accumulator to feed the likes of Shiel, Merrett, etc
3) a forward in the event Joey leaves

Goldstein/Ryder/Jacobs
SPP/Drew/Venables
Brander/Marshall/Fogarty

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
i think all 3 are equal needs

1) a ruck to get us service and compete around the ground
2) an extractor/accumulator to feed the likes of Shiel, Merrett, etc
3) a forward in the event Joey leaves

Goldstein/Ryder/Jacobs
SPP/Drew/Venables
Brander/Marshall/Fogarty
I'd be going after a young key forward who's showing something even if Joe stays. He can't be thought of as a sustainable long term option anymore. We have to be conservative.

I have liked what I've seen of Fogarty. Why weren't the Crows playing him?

I'd also go after a young ruck if we can, again so we're more sustainable. When Draper comes back we'd then be in a good position for the next ten years.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought he was cooked and his time was up. I wasn’t right, retrospectively, should’ve kept him for leadership alone. I hadn’t fully realised how little leadership we had.
Someone mentioned the possibility of bringing Josh Kennedy in as part of a trade deal. I like, although with the improvement of some young players I'm not sure it's necessary.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I'd be going after a young key forward who's showing something even if Joe stays. He can't be thought of as a sustainable long term option anymore. We have to be conservative.

I have liked what I've seen of Fogarty. Why weren't the Crows playing him?

I'd also go after a young ruck if we can, again so we're more sustainable. When Draper comes back we'd then be in a good position for the next ten years.
Tex and JJ kept Fog out. He'd be a hard one to snap up. Esp if the Crows are embracing a rebuild.

Fog
Brander
Miller
King
Marshall
I did see mention of Jez Cameron should Daniher leave. I could handle Joey in the Orange and Grey, esp if Jez was coming back the other way....

If we got 4 & 23 for Daniher and a future 2nd, i'd throw 4 @ the Crows for Fogarty & our 1st next year for Brander.
See if that shakes them loose. Plus some cash - both

A young ruck would be ideal.
Jones, Cameron, A.Smith.
-They'd all have a decent run at 2020 competing with TBC for #1 whilst Draper recovers. And would take some eggs out of a basket that is high risk.

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
That would be easier to swallow, but I can see Joe wanting the Newtown/Surrey Hills life, not the Bankstown life...

Matt De Boer lives in Bronte. I would dare say none of them live less than a walk from any of the beaches. But yes, Joe would fit right in in Newtown.

Atavistic

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Coco
Tex and JJ kept Fog out. He'd be a hard one to snap up. Esp if the Crows are embracing a rebuild.

Fog
Brander
Miller
King
Marshall
I did see mention of Jez Cameron should Daniher leave. I could handle Joey in the Orange and Grey, esp if Jez was coming back the other way....

If we got 4 & 23 for Daniher and a future 2nd, i'd throw 4 @ the Crows for Fogarty & our 1st next year for Brander.

Jones, Cameron, A.Smith.
-They'd all have a decent run at 2020 competing with TBC for #1 whilst Draper recovers. And would take some eggs out of a basket that is high risk.

Out of those, I think the one we need most is Ben King.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon

Fog
Brander
Miller
King
Marshall

Jones, Cameron, A.Smith.
I don't know anything about Miller or Brander. Marshall might be okay having trained with Dixon, and I'd have to say the same of Brander re: Kennedy. So I'd probably be happy with either of those two alongside King. Two young forwards to build around would be excellent.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I don't know anything about Miller or Brander. Marshall might be okay having trained with Dixon, and I'd have to say the same of Brander re: Kennedy. So I'd probably be happy with either of those two alongside King. Two young forwards to build around would be excellent.
Watched miller at the combine
His kicking and mobility is extraordinary

Im surprised he slipped as far as he did

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
What's Mr Miller's first name, so I can YouTube, coz there's nothing else on tv.
Ben

Been a couple of years now, but i think he posted a record for the kick test on both feet.
Reminded me a bit of Ottens in that he was a really good kick of the ball.

Taking Houlahan over this kid has the feel of Steinberg over Parker for me.
I was just getting over that too

What on earth makes people think Cameron would be leaving GWS, let alone coming here?
Dev Smith is his fishing buddy.

That’s all I’ve got...

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
This was the piece re Cameron.

It’s quite amazing that people actually get paid to write this. It’s just a BigFooty post. And not a good one.

Essendon best-and-fairest winner Devon Smith is one of Jeremy Cameron’s favourite fishing buddies.
And if Joe Daniher bails from the Bombers to head north to the Swans, expect Smith to try and hook the Giants’ Coleman Medallist to try and fill the Daniher void.

Even if it is a longshot, the pair’s friendship would surely help the Bombers’ bid. Geelong is keen on country boy Cameron, too, to take over from Tom Hawkins.

But there is a snag in Essendon’s dream scenario.

While Daniher contemplates a shock trade move to try and escape the Melbourne footy bubble, Cameron loves life in Sydney for exactly the same reason — the anonymity of his life off the field.

They’ve made up a steaming pile of s**t. And then dismissed it as being s**t.

The byline is Jon Ralph and Jay Clark.

The name of the “column”? It’s most certainly not a column by any stretch of the imagination, but anyway.

Moneyball.

Exactly how bringing in Jeremy Cameron - who we would have to make possibly the highest-paid player in a league with a strict salary cap - would be “Moneyball”?

That’s actually the least vexing question about the whole inexcusable s**t of an “article”... and that’s saying something.

Stop the *in world I want to get off.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Something else that has genuinely irked me for the past 3 - 5 seasons. We never reward the guys doing the right things at VFL level. We have had an abndance of guys I feel that have been helld back or not been given the opportunity to succeed at AFL level because of the poor development at EFC.

BrunoV's love child Jordan Ridley simply had to play games last year. He wasn't "banging the door down"but he was (is) talented enough and despite not dominating VFL games was doing all the right things at the level to want a step up imho.

This year we have hardly had a kid dominate for long stretches, perhaps Trent Mynott early in the season (bests in 7 weeks were, 5, 1, 0, 2, 0 , 6, 3) but instead of giving him an opportunity we go back to the well of Kyle Langford as an inside midfielder. IT baffles me. Not only do we have a natural midfielder (Mynott) but someone who was poor in the position (Langford) we had someone pushing to take the place.

In the case of Ridley, we need to understand that our back 6 is our strength. Arguarbly one of the better, well balanced groups in the comp. He was going to struggle to fit into it, but in the case of the better teams, when a player is demanding AFL selection, you fit him in and give him an opportunity. Feels like we continually go back to the square peg/round hole dilemma that has plagued our club for so long. Obviously structures don't always allow for this to happen but you need to make it work and often sacrifice a more senior player for the betterment of the team/club.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Something else that has genuinely irked me for the past 3 - 5 seasons. We never reward the guys doing the right things at VFL level. We have had an abndance of guys I feel that have been helld back or not been given the opportunity to succeed at AFL level because of the poor development at EFC.

BrunoV's love child Jordan Ridley simply had to play games last year. He wasn't "banging the door down"but he was (is) talented enough and despite not dominating VFL games was doing all the right things at the level to want a step up imho.

This year we have hardly had a kid dominate for long stretches, perhaps Trent Mynott early in the season (bests in 7 weeks were, 5, 1, 0, 2, 0 , 6, 3) but instead of giving him an opportunity we go back to the well of Kyle Langford as an inside midfielder. IT baffles me. Not only do we have a natural midfielder (Mynott) but someone who was poor in the position (Langford) we had someone pushing to take the place.

In the case of Ridley, we need to understand that our back 6 is our strength. Arguarbly one of the better, well balanced groups in the comp. He was going to struggle to fit into it, but in the case of the better teams, when a player is demanding AFL selection, you fit him in and give him an opportunity. Feels like we continually go back to the square peg/round hole dilemma that has plagued our club for so long. Obviously structures don't always allow for this to happen but you need to make it work and often sacrifice a more senior player for the betterment of the team/club.

Ridley is a type that will never bang the door down. Brad Shepherd in the same position wouldn't bang the door down either, but he'll be bloody good at AFL for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back