Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a 185cm mark and kick flanker that barely averaged 10 possessions a game. I like what he could become but the growth just is not there. Likely to be delisted
Hmm true I’d like him on the rookie list though

A couple of rising Gaelic stars are among those on their way to Australia to try their luck http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-18...ue-with-more-hopefuls-set-for-afl-aflw-trials

Meanwhile, McQuillan has since committed to Essendon and will be a Bomber in 2020,

Welcome to EFC! thanks Connor.

McQuillan, who stands 186cm, ran the fastest 20m time at the combine (2.77sec), plays in an aggressive manner and is already a good kick on both feet.

Time for his own thread, or did I miss it? I don’t recall it being announced until now?

A couple of rising Gaelic stars are among those on their way to Australia to try their luck http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-18...ue-with-more-hopefuls-set-for-afl-aflw-trials

Meanwhile, McQuillan has since committed to Essendon and will be a Bomber in 2020,

Welcome to EFC! thanks Connor.

McQuillan, who stands 186cm, ran the fastest 20m time at the combine (2.77sec), plays in an aggressive manner and is already a good kick on both feet.

Time for his own thread, or did I miss it? I don’t recall it being announced until now?
That article says it's confirmed but the source they link to is another article that says we're "in the box seat" that "Richmond and Essendon were both keen to recruit him" but "it is believed" Essendon will get him?

And we apparently told the other Irish kid we won't pursue him.

Doesn't seem all that confirmed, though it might be the best we get until things are formalised at list lodgement...

The way I see it the main options for trade now are: Daniher, Zakka, Laverde, Fantasia (unlikely)

Francis another possible but I really want to keep him. At this stage I'd offer;-

Aaron Francis- 3 years
Will Snelling- 1 Year
Tom Jok- 1 Year
Mitch Brown- 1 Year
Michael Hartley- 1 Year
Trent Mynott- 1 Year

Jake Long-Delist
Jordan Houlahan - Delist
Zac Clarke-Delist

Mark Baguley- Retired
Matt Dea-Retired
David Myers-Retired
Ben McNeice-Retired

Impressed with Zok or Wok whatever his name is and Bowman today, throw Ryder with those two, we will be well served.
Box Heppell Bellchambers and [you pick] for trade , keep Begley and Francis it's thanks for coming.
I’m curious as to why or how Heppell works himself into the scenario here. Is he too floppy haired perhaps?

His AFL performances haven't exactly screamed "pick me".
3 games with our key defensive group and the fact he's basically been the best key defender not getting a game does. Someone will take him.

3 games with our key defensive group and the fact he's basically been the best key defender not getting a game does. Someone will take him.

No one came last year and I dont think he has done what he needed to do.

Still dropping too many marks and pulling too many jumpers in the big leagues.

Surprised no one came for Hartley last year, I'll be surprised again this year. He's a solid stopper at AFL level for a team desperate for a tall. If we didn't have Hooker / Hurley / Ambrose / Francis all at 190+ then likely he'd have seen some game-time.

I also think he'd get more comfortable at AFL level with continuity instead of playing haphazard games all over the place.

If no one wants to offer him a couple of years I hope we keep him around for at least one more, Hooker is near the end and BZT isn't yet proven to be able to handle the physicality at AFL level. Just look at Hartley standing Meece in the ruck shows how much stronger he is physically than BZT still.

Also his kicking is criminally under-utilised at VFL and AFL level, not sure if that's a coaching decision or a Hartley decision.

Surprised no one came for Hartley last year, I'll be surprised again this year. He's a solid stopper at AFL level for a team desperate for a tall. If we didn't have Hooker / Hurley / Ambrose / Francis all at 190+ then likely he'd have seen some game-time.

I also think he'd get more comfortable at AFL level with continuity instead of playing haphazard games all over the place.

If no one wants to offer him a couple of years I hope we keep him around for at least one more, Hooker is near the end and BZT isn't yet proven to be able to handle the physicality at AFL level. Just look at Hartley standing Meece in the ruck shows how much stronger he is physically than BZT still.

Also his kicking is criminally under-utilised at VFL and AFL level, not sure if that's a coaching decision or a Hartley decision.

Hartley would probably get a regular game at 12 to 14 clubs. It amazes me that he hasn't asked for a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far
David Myers-Retired
Mark Baguley-Retired
Luke Lavender-Retired (Rookie)
Matt Dea-Retired (Rookie)
Jordan Houlahan-Delisted
Ben McNeice-Delisted (Rookie)

Out of contract
Aaron Francis
Jake Long
Michael Hartley
Mitch Brown
Tom Jok
Trent Mynott
Will Snelling
Zac Clarke

No one came last year and I dont think he has done what he needed to do.

Still dropping too many marks and pulling too many jumpers in the big leagues.

This + he just looks physically weak in the contest. If you're getting out bodied by players much smaller then you are, chances are you won't have a long AFL career. Another thing is, he's never had a great attitude, he was quite poor at Collingwood during short time there, and it's been less then ideal at times at Essendon. Could go several ways for him.

Hartley would probably get a regular game at 12 to 14 clubs. It amazes me that he hasn't asked for a trade.
He hasnt had to ask for a trade, all he has needed is any other club to offer him a contract. It does surprise me that no one is interested. Good depth that i hope we keep for 1 more year on minimum chips. Same as Brown.

We're lacking in a lot of other areas too.
Yes, but ideally when rebuilding you'd grab the KPPs first because they take longer to develop, and then focus on the midfield and smaller players in subsequent years. We're in a situation where the exact opposite has happened effectively (in the forwardline at least).

It forces us to try and trade in the best KPF we can lay hands on because if we hit the draft for an 18yo it might be 4 years before they're at an AFL standard, in which time Shiel and Heppell will all be over 30 and Merrett will likely be past his best.

I guess the other course of action (probably not mutually exclusive) is to use the later picks on mature age players like this Riccardi guy or Bowman who might be ready for senior football a lot sooner than an 18yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back