Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Tried to do a best 22 for the AFL & VFL sides and I've mentioned this before but doubt we can carry all of Stewart, McKernan, Brown, Jenkins/Bowman, Gown as Key forwards. Particularly if we do what I recommend and that is draft another young key forward (Riccardi is who I want).

That is 6 into 4 slots (2 AFL level, 2 VFL level) so perhaps we need to shift the pieces slightly and that means someone fills the void in defence. The most able? Mitch Brown is the one who looks set to shift into defence and that means playing VFL as well.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Tried to do a best 22 for the AFL & VFL sides and I've mentioned this before but doubt we can carry all of Stewart, McKernan, Brown, Jenkins/Bowman, Gown as Key forwards. Particularly if we do what I recommend and that is draft another young key forward (Riccardi is who I want).

That is 6 into 4 slots (2 AFL level, 2 VFL level) so perhaps we need to shift the pieces slightly and that means someone fills the void in defence. The most able? Mitch Brown is the one who looks set to shift into defence and that means playing VFL as well.

Have you allowed for the injury rate of our KPF’s in that?

Think Brown can work alongside a Jenkins & McKernan pairing if we wanted to go tall, given he’s best working up and down a wing as a half forward anyway.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If we get Jenkins I expect Brown to not get a game.

How can we carry two big forwards who can't halve a contest?

Both are quite mobile; think they'd play together OK

Hooker is really the only dinosaur KPP we have. Brown does his best work up the ground or leading wide, Jenkins & McKernan are your more straight line players. McKernan runs in a straight line at opposition players, Jenkins away from them.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Adam Saad a B? B+ at least.

List is all over the shop. Walla is better than Fantasia.
Agree on Saad, he was B+ or an A this year. Should be AA next year.

"Walla is better than Fanta"... depends which way you look at it. Fanta when fit has has been consistently better than Walla (definite potential for Walla to go past Fanta going forward though). Though given his injury troubles the last 2 years he's been a mile behind Walla. Given he gave him a B+, seems he's judging when fit.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Agree on Saad, he was B+ or an A this year. Should be AA next year.

"Walla is better than Fanta"... depends which way you look at it. Fanta when fit has has been consistently better than Walla (definite potential for Walla to go past Fanta going forward though). Though given his injury troubles the last 2 years he's been a mile behind Walla. Given he gave him a B+, seems he's judging when fit.
Walla at his best is better than Fantasia, although Fantasia is elite at his peak. I'm looking at a range of things, not just goals. Forward pressure, tacking intent, strength around the contest, ability to rotate in the middle, field kicking as well accuracy in front of goal, decision making, kicking inside 50 etc. Certainly moved past him.

Both are match winners, but Walla's overall game is better than Fantasia.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Walla at his best is better than Fantasia, although Fantasia is elite at his peak. I'm looking at a range of things, not just goals. Forward pressure, tacking intent, strength around the contest, ability to rotate in the middle, field kicking as well accuracy in front of goal, decision making, kicking inside 50 etc. Certainly moved past him.

Both are match winners, but Walla's overall game is better than Fantasia.
Yes he's moved him, as Fanta has been injured, which is my point.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes he's moved him, as Fanta has been injured, which is my point.
What I mean is Walla this year was better than Fantasia at his peak in 2017. Fantasia averaged more goals, but that can probably be attributed with having a better forward structure with Hooker, Daniher and Stewart.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
What I mean is Walla this year was better than Fantasia at his peak in 2017. Fantasia averaged more goals, but that can probably be attributed with having a better forward structure with Hooker, Daniher and Stewart.
Recency effect

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Walla is only better than Fantasia if you incorporate durability into your rankings. And if you do, that's fine, it is clearly important. But when fit, Fantasia has been the better and more damaging player.

One of the reasons I am not particularly concerned about losing Fantasia is concerns over his durability. He is an incredibly tiny footballer, slight of frame, and I have doubts over whether he will ever be able to stand up to the rigors of a 22-game, or dare I say it 25-game, season.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
C.Lyons + Cutler from Lions (stealing this one from eDPS - great idea)
Raz and Daniher stays

We see the fwd line of;
Snelling Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Stringer Langford

Saad Hooker^ Francis
Redman Hurley Heppell
Merrett Lyons McKenna
Tippa McKernan Stringer
TBC* Parish Shiel
Smith McGrath Cutler Langford

Future planning
*Draper replaces TBC
^BZT replace Hooker

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Raz and Daniher stays

We see the fwd line of;
Tippa Stringer Langford

Saad Hooker^ Francis
Redman Hurley Heppell
Merrett Lyons McKenna
Tippa McKernan Stringer
TBC* Parish Shiel

Future planning
*Draper replaces TBC
^BZT replace Hooker
No Gleèson, Ridley or Ambrose?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Raz and Daniher stays

We see the fwd line of;
Tippa Stringer Langford

Saad Hooker^ Francis
Redman Hurley Heppell
Merrett Lyons McKenna
Tippa McKernan Stringer
TBC* Parish Shiel

Future planning
*Draper replaces TBC
^BZT replace Hooker

Heppell would be a terrible full-time defender; rather see Gleeson back there, he's defensively sound and very underrated as an offensive conduit.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Another Irish bloke on the list! 3 would have to be the record at one time correct? Time for another blockbuster game, the annual Saint Paddy’s game.

What I like most is that he is to be groomed as a key defender. Getting a free hit at a key defender is great for list balance but would still like a young key forward through the draft.

Another Irish bloke on the list! 3 would have to be the record at one time correct? Time for another blockbuster game, the annual Saint Paddy’s game.
That'd have to be round one haha, maybe better if it's an AFLW thing :eyes:

"The budding defender is 197cm and 90kg, a strong mark, ran sub-three seconds for the 20m sprint and placed in the top five in the running vertical jump (87cm)."

Not to put the weight of the world on his shoulders or anything, but I feel like he might fill a need.

I mean not as a defender but in the tradition of Essendon swingmen lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back