Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
What's our KPF depth like at the moment?

Daniher - perma injured, potentially gone at the end of next year
McKernan - injury prone, probably only got a couple more years of AFL standard footy left in him, inconsistent
Stewart - perma injured, possibly died and is stuffed in a barrel in Justin Crow's basement, wasn't that good before he got injured
Gown - might be good in a few years time, basketball background (people keep bringing this up so I assume it's important)
Brown - not even a true KPF depending on who you ask, probably only got a couple more years of AFL standard footy left
Hooker - kicked a bunch of goals a few years ago when he wasn't on the wrong side of 30 and slower than a wet week, probably wasted up forward
Davey - undersized, delisted several years ago

As it is there's some pretty massive questionmarks going into 2020.
Can Daniher and Stewart even get on the park, let alone play at their pre-injury levels?
Can McKernan and Brown maintain their current output? Both are 29 and it is probably reasonable to assume their output will decline from here
Gown has some promising attributes but can he continue to improve? He's unlikely to be capable of holding his own for a couple of years yet.

The downside risks to that are pretty significant and have the potential to leave us horribly exposed going into 2021.

Daniher asking for a trade at the end of 2020, Stewart unable to recover from his injuries, Gown being still to raw to play senior football are all quite likely scenarios that pretty much slam shut any premiership window the club imagines we might be entering in the next few years unless we address the situation, ideally starting in the upcoming draft.

That's how it looks from the cheap seats anyway.
You forgot Jenkins.

So right now off the senior/cat a list of last year (39/5) we have:

Out: Mark Baguley, David Myers, Jordan Houlahan, Matthew Dea
In: Andrew Phillips, Tom Cutler, Ross McQuillan (assuming he'll be the Cat A of the two)

Which leaves us at 38/6 (not including the Draper promotion). We need to cut 2 more players. Logically it's Clarke and Long, as well as a Draper promotion. That leaves 3 spots on the senior list. Most seasons I'd honestly want a 38/6 split (easier to promote Cat B rookies) but realistically we're looking at a 39/5 or 40/4 split. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hartley, Brown or even Mynott get delisted as well.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
So right now off the senior/cat a list of last year (39/5) we have:

Out: Mark Baguley, David Myers, Jordan Houlahan, Matthew Dea
In: Andrew Phillips, Tom Cutler, Ross McQuillan (assuming he'll be the Cat A of the two)

Which leaves us at 38/6 (not including the Draper promotion). We need to cut 2 more players. Logically it's Clarke and Long, as well as a Draper promotion. That leaves 3 spots on the senior list. Most seasons I'd honestly want a 38/6 split (easier to promote Cat B rookies) but realistically we're looking at a 39/5 or 40/4 split. I wouldn't be shocked to see Hartley, Brown or even Mynott get delisted as well.
I'm shocked that you see Brown as a possible delisting. Flummoxed actually. You've fallen out of love so suddenly.

I'm shocked that you see Brown as a possible delisting. Flummoxed actually. You've fallen out of love so suddenly.
It's not that I don't like him, but what's his role heading into 2019? When you look at those still OOC, you have:

Clarke (29)
Brown (29)
Long (23)
Hartley (25)
Mynott (20)
Snelling (22)
Jok (22)

He and Clarke are the oldest players in that group by a fair margin.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
It's not that I don't like him, but what's his role heading into 2019? When you look at those still OOC, you have:

Clarke (29)
Brown (29)
Long (23)
Hartley (25)
Mynott (20)
Snelling (22)
Jok (22)

I'm stirring. I'd keep him until we're more confident in Joe. He still gets on his bike which is helpful for Jake and Walla at the very least. Clarke, Long and maybe Hartley I think.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich

Clarke (29)
Brown (29)
Long (23)
Hartley (25)
Mynott (20)
Snelling (22)
Jok (22)

Yeah, with question marks still surrounding Daniher (and let's not forget Stewart as well), Brown becomes handy depth.

Hartley may be an unlucky casualty unfortunately. Maybe we re-rookie him? Alternatively if he has other offers for a senior spot at say Hawthorn or Norf then I would let him go with our blessing. The guy deserves a fair crack at senior footy.

Clarke (29)
Brown (29)
Long (23)
Hartley (25)
Mynott (20)
Snelling (22)
Jok (22)

I'd be surprised if we delist anyone over 195cm tall (Clarke excepted) until we know for sure if Daniher can make it onto the park in 2020.

vass44

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Brown has been one of our more reliable tall forwards over the last couple of years - only Stringer has had better output than him and he has Smack covered for disposals and goals averages so no way would I be cutting him from the list. He has earnt his stripes and deserves a 1 year deal in my opinion- particularly with big question marks over the fitness/durability of Stewart/Daniher/Laverde etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a late pick and gets minimal coin. His role is utility i guess, when he gets the call up. All im saying is he has a crack and is not soft.

and when the rest of the team is as soft as they are that’s a genuine playing role

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Brown has been one of our more reliable tall forwards over the last couple of years - only Stringer has had better output than him and he has Smack covered for disposals and goals averages so no way would I be cutting him from the list. He has earnt his stripes and deserves a 1 year deal in my opinion- particularly with big question marks over the fitness/durability of Stewart/Daniher/Laverde etc

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reliable as long as we're not playing in a big game.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

Clarke (29)
Brown (29)
Long (23)
Hartley (25)
Mynott (20)
Snelling (22)
Jok (22)

What bothers me is that we are trying to (essentially) carry the same type of player in 3 different guys (possibly 4). A middle aged KPF who plays well sporadically.

Brown (29)
McKernan (29)
Stewart (26)
Daniher (26)

IMHO, we should only be carrying two of these guys on the list and replace one with a young developing KPF (alongside Gown) and replace the other with an inside midfielder.

We are far to top heavy with very little output from this group when looking at it in isolation

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
What bothers me is that we are trying to (essentially) carry the same type of player in 3 different guys (possibly 4). A middle aged KPF who plays well sporadically.

Brown (29)
McKernan (29)
Stewart (26)
Daniher (26)

IMHO, we should only be carrying two of these guys on the list and replace one with a young developing KPF (alongside Gown) and replace the other with an inside midfielder.

We are far to top heavy with very little output from this group when looking at it in isolation

I'd daresay if Stewart and Daniher had both been fit and in form the last two seasons Brown & McKernan wouldn't be on the list. McKernan might have kept a rookie spot as Ruck depth.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I'd daresay if Stewart and Daniher had both been fit and in form the last two seasons Brown & McKernan wouldn't be on the list. McKernan might have kept a rookie spot as Ruck depth.

And as a result we have an over balance of players in one position not performing. IMHO, we cut our losses with Stewart and go in with Brown as our depth KPF.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
And as a result we have an over balance of players in one position not performing. IMHO, we cut our losses with Stewart and go in with Brown as our depth KPF.

Stewart is a funny one, if he can get injury free he's young enough to offer a good 5 years of service, but I doubt he'll be on the list for 2021 if he can't get on the park.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Stewart is a funny one, if he can get injury free he's young enough to offer a good 5 years of service, but I doubt he'll be on the list for 2021 if he can't get on the park.

With the club mismanaging him, they should consider putting him on the rookie list for 2020 and using that senior list spot on a kid.

Cut our losses, with the equal youngest, who's had 1 injury in his AFL career, and statistically outperforms both Smack and Brown?

Long, Clarke, Jok and Mynott delisted

Thought Mynott was worth 1 more year, rest I understand.
I thought Jok was going to be retained honestly.

Yeah he had a claim for sure. 2 Irish kids Cutler and Phillips forced a squeeze I guess.
Most likely. Cutler was probably the one that forced him out.

With the Draper promotion, we're at 37/2 senior/Cat A. Makes me wonder if we're targeting someone in the SSP. Take 2 players at 31 and 33, DFA or SSP someone, 2 players in the rookie draft.

One of the Irish kids go on the cat b list. Surprised with Jok, thought he was worth another year. Whole new rookie list next year with the expected promotion of Draper.
I think the fact we got 2 and one had to be on the Cat A list is what he was referring to. And Draper must be promoted, you can only spend 3 years on the rookie list.

Okay, doing the thing again (I'm guessing Hartley/Brown/Snelling are all retained):

Defence:

Key defenders: Michael Hurley, Cale Hooker (fwd), Patrick Ambrose, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Michael Hartley (ruc); Rookie: Cian McBride
Medium defenders: Martin Gleeson, Aaron Francis, Jordan Ridley (mid)
Small defenders: Mason Redman, Adam Saad, Conor McKenna; Rookie: Ross McQuillan

Midfield:

Inside midfielders: Darcy Parish, Devon Smith (fwd), Zach Merrett, Dylan Shiel, Kobe Mutch (def), Dyson Heppell (def), Dylan Clarke; Rookie: Will Snelling (fwd)
Outside midfielders: Andrew McGrath (def), Kyle Langford (fwd), David Zaharakis (fwd), Brayden Ham (fwd), Matthew Guelfi (def), Tom Cutler (def)
Rucks: Tom Bellchambers (fwd), Andrew Phillips, Sam Draper

Forward:

Key forwards: Joe Daniher, James Stewart, Mitchell Brown (def), Noah Gown, Shaun McKernan (ruc)
Medium forwards: Jayden Laverde, Josh Begley (mid), Jake Stringer (mid)
Small forwards: Orazio Fantasia, Irving Mosquito, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti

For me we need another young key forward (Riccardi), a developing ruck/forward (Bowman), 2x inside mids (Stephens, ???) and maybe a small defender.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back