Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as something different, let's look at where our players come from:

WA: 2
SA: 7
Vic C: 11*
Vic M: 19
Qld: 0
NSW: 2
Tas: 3
NT: 0
O/S: 3

*Technically speaking Aspendale (Shiel) would have been zoned to Dandenong, which although is part of metro Melbourne is classified as Vic C. So really it should be 9/21 (Cahill also Stingrays).

I'm assuming this is based on where the player is drafted from because Walla could be counted as being from the NT but I don't think he played much footy there.

I'm assuming this is based on where the player is drafted from because Walla could be counted as being from the NT but I don't think he played much footy there.
Actually you're right. Walla should be NT and Mozzie could be considered there too

Is Ridley actually anywhere near 195cm?
He was 193 on the previous set of measurements, but idk how old those were. Could conceivably have grown since we were last told how tall he is, if the old measurements were from his draft year (he's 21 now).

Could also be the difference between measuring in the afternoon and measuring in the morning, since you lose up to a couple of centimetres over the course of the day through spinal compression.

The other option is that the measuring tape is slightly different, which would then affect most players (and it does, but not uniformly).

He was 193 on the previous set of measurements, but idk how old those were. Could conceivably have grown since we were last told how tall he is, if the old measurements were from his draft year (he's 21 now).

Could also be the difference between measuring in the afternoon and measuring in the morning, since you lose up to a couple of centimetres over the course of the day through spinal compression.

The other option is that the measuring tape is slightly different, which would then affect most players (and it does, but not uniformly).
Hopefully its option 1. He has grown to 195

In a post Hurley/Hooker back line can all of Ridley, Gleeson, Francis and Zerk-Thatcher coexist in the backline?
Yep.

Francis, BZT, Saad
Gleeson, McBride, Ridley
Redman

Be interesting to see if BZT is capable of defending number 1 forwards
It depends what type of forward the #1 forward is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NBN is down so my internet capabilities are limited and there is only so much COVID-19 discussion I can handle.

I previously posted a version of the below before we finished our recruiting. I don't find numerical breakdowns of the list to be particularly helpful when it comes to understanding list balance. From what I can tell, a list should be able to produce two full teams at, least based on the desired style of play. It's seeing the visual of the AFL and VFL teams that gives me a more detailed feel for list balance.

I've also tried rank the players in at least 1 position. It doesn't really work for the utilities. Hird and Johnson are almost complete unknowns. I'm guessing with the new talls. With Smith and Redman, I've listed them in a way to reflect the likely desired starting 18. Redman/Gleeson would likely play as a 7th defender. Smith is likely to play a high role as a forward and is not really playing games as a small forward (which is why I didn't rank him .

Starting point is, obviously, the AFL team. I'm just going to stick with what I previously thought the coaches would think is our best 22, it's not the 22 I would pick. If we accept that McKernan is unwell, McKenna not fit and allowing for injuries it is really only Ridley in for Gleeson that seems to have changed.

I am not sure how Cutler fits into this team if everyone is fit, even though we should be tying to find a way. I've added emergencies because it is a reality during the season but also so that the VFL team can be displayed based on how we will be trying to develop the list (though I've taken some creative licence at least with Stewart).

AFL team:

[TD valign="top"] SD1: Saad
(178cm, 76kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KPD1: Ambrose
(192cm, 94kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KPD3: Hurley
(193cm, 92kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] SD2: McKenna
(184cm, 84kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KPD2: Hooker
(198cm, 103kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] 3TD1: Gleeson
(191cm, 86kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] R1: Bellchambers
(201cm, 110kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] M1: Shiel
(182cm, 84kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] M2: Merrett
(179cm, 83kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] M3/W: Heppell
(189cm, 84kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] W/M5: McGrath
(178cm, 82kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] W/SD3: Redman
(187cm, 87kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] SF/M4/W: Smith
(174cm, 77kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KF1: Daniher
(201cm, 100kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] SF1: Fantasia
(177cm, 77kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] 3TF1: Stringer
(192cm, 95kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KF2/2R1: McKernan
(196m, 100kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] SF2: McDonald-Tipungwuti
(171cm, 78kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] I-KPD4/3TD2: Francis
(192cm, 92kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] I-M6/SF: Parish
(180cm, 80kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] I-M8/MF2: Langford
(191cm, 90kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] I-M7/W: Zaharakis
(180cm, 80kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] E1-R3: Phillips
(201cm, 102kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] E2-W1/MD/3TD: Cutler
(192cm, 93 kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] E3- SF5/M12: Snelling
(175cm, 76kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] E4-3TF/M: Townsend
(187cm, 89kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

The other note about the emergencies is that they're a bit older and more suited to playing without much preparation/missing matches.

VFL team:

[TD valign="top"] SD/W: Guelfi
(183cm, 79kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KPD/KF3: Stewart
(199cm, 96kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KPD5: Zerk-Thatcher
(195cm, 89kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] SD4: McQuillan
(188cm, 75kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KPD6: McBride
(197cm, 90kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] 3TD3/MD/W: Ridley
(192cm, 91kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] R2: Draper
(205cm, 108kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] M9: Clarke
(187cm, 87kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] M10: Hibberd
(191cm, 92kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] M11/MF3: Begley
(188cm, 97kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] M12/W3: Mutch
(187cm, 86kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] W2: Ham
(181cm, 70kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] 3TF2/MF1: Laverde
(191cm, 91kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] R4/KF/KD: Bryan
(203cm, 92kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KF4/3TF3: Jones
(196cm, 78kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] SF6: Cahill
(178cm, 77kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] KF5/R5: Crawford
(204cm, 100kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] SF4: Mosquito
(176cm, 72kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

[TD valign="top"] I-Utility: Hird
(182cm, 70kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] I- KF4: Gown (inj)
(194cm, 91kg)[/TD][TD valign="top"] I-SD/SF: Johnson (inj)
(176cm, 75kg)[/TD]

[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]
[TD valign="top"][/TD]

Tried to be as true to positions in the VFL team as possible. There isn't another small defender who can play so, even though I think little of his play as a defender, Guelfi would be the next small defender. He'd also be in the running as an emergency.

As I said above, I've taken licence with Stewart because there isn't another key defender. I can't help but think with his size and athleticism that he could mirror what Jones and Casboult have done in defence. There is also a glut of talls to play forward.

My understanding is the Begley is playing inside mid. yaco55 will be having conniptions looking at that forward line but it is a reality of what will have to happen if we are to develop the ruckmen this year (assuming the VFL does start).

[analysis to come].

Last edited:
Starting point is, obviously, the AFL team. I'm just going to stick with what I previously thought the coaches would think is our best 22, it's not the 22 I would pick.
As much as the four tall defenders in your AFL side feel preferred-22, have they actually all played together as such?

Last edited:
Cody Brand and Josh Eyre will be decent key position prospects In21.
i wonder if the bombers will rue not trading Daniher.
they could have acquired papley and gained some salary cap room or possibly got pick 5 and 9 which could have been used for top shelf kids or got a good player and an established player like jack martin.
daniher’s restricted free agency at the end of the year will shape our list for years to come.

Cody Brand and Josh Eyre will be decent key position prospects In21.
i wonder if the bombers will rue not trading Daniher.
they could have acquired papley and gained some salary cap room or possibly got pick 5 and 9 which could have been used for top shelf kids or got a good player and an established player like jack martin.
daniher’s restricted free agency at the end of the year will shape our list for years to come.
There is potential to get a future pick this year for the 2021 draft which looks stronger than last and this years. The fact we could also wait out another year for Brand and Eyre we won’t have to go searching for talls and should be able to get more creative at the draft and trade table.

It is an interesting exercise to analyse what might happen with the list at the end of the year. Particularly if they cut list sizes as seems to be floated around.

I have long thought that the Cat A rookie list was useless at this point as they can play without a LTI on your list, so they really only exist for the sake of cheap, year to year contracts (initially).

I would abolish the Cat A rookie list and allow clubs to have a MAX 40 senior players listed (keep Cat B rookie lists though as they play a different and important role).

Assuming for the exercise the draft this year is two rounds only (as has been mooted) we currently have 45 listed senior/rookie players and would have to cull 7 this year to make the minimum 2 slots. Therefore it is possibly going to be brutal (ihavent factored in retirements but in Hooker's and Bellchambers' circumstances it may be prevalent

My thinking is
Begley
Mutch
Stewart
Phillips/Bellchambers (one of)
D.Clarke

Potentials
(not saying likely or not but a possibility due to contract status or surrounding circumstances/list spot squeeze)
Gown (like i said, brutal - but with Eyre coming in?)
Daniher (possible Trade and FA)
McKenna (homesick? - but please don't go, Conor)
Fantasia (trade/homesick)
Laverde (OOC - has he done enough?, Langford in a similar boat)
Hibberd/Townsend/Crauford - on one year SSP deals so in a dicey position, though you could make an argument for all three to stay
What do others think?

Last edited:
It is an interesting exercise to analyse what might happen with the list at the end of the year. Particularly if they cut list sizes as seems to be floated around.

I have long thought that the Cat A rookie list was useless at this point as they can play without a LTI on your list, so they really only exist for the sake of cheap, year to year contracts (initially).

I would abolish the Cat A rookie list and allow clubs to have a MAX 40 senior players listed (keep Cat B rookie lists though as they play a different and important role).

Assuming for the exercise the draft this year is two rounds only (as has been mooted) we currently have 45 listed senior/rookie players and would have to cull 7 this year to make the minimum 2 slots. Therefore it is possibly going to be brutal (ihavent factored in retirements but in Hooker's and Bellchambers' circumstances it may be prevalent

My thinking is
Begley
Mutch
Stewart
Phillips/Bellchambers (one of)
D.Clarke

Potentials
(not saying likely or not but a possibility due to contract status or surrounding circumstances/list spot squeeze)
Gown (like i said, brutal - but with Eyre coming in?)
Daniher (possible Trade and FA)
McKenna (homesick? - but please don't go, Conor)
Fantasia (trade/homesick)
Laverde (OOC - has he done enough?, Langford in a similar boat)
Hibberd/Townsend/Crauford - on one year SSP deals so in a dicey position, though you could make an argument for all three to stay
What do others think?
I doubt we cut Stewart, especially if Daniher goes. McKernan is 30 in December and has had quite a few injuries in the past 2 and a half years, whereas Stewart has really only had the one and their best years (2017 compared to 2019) have yielded similar results.

Dylan Clarke is contracted as well.

As for the potentials:

Gown I think they'll give another year
Daniher I think will go
McKenna, oddly enough, I think will take his time away and refocus back on football.
Fantasia I think will stay, neither SA sides look great and I think we can convince him to see out his contract
Laverde has it tough, I'd have him in the top group
Hibberd at the very least is a 23 year old state league gun so I think he gets another year. Plus he was drafted, not SSP
Crauford I think we were pulling a sneaky one on. I think everyone knows this is Bellchambers' last year and we're trying to fast track him into being a good enough 3rd in line ruck at the end of this year and possibly overtake Phillips next year.
Townsend is only 27 next year so maybe another year?

Cutting list spots strikes me as a pretty dangerous loss of momentum for the AFL.

I'd reduce the salary cap and revise player contacts accordingly.

Agree.Would also be a very poor look to start cutting the bottom end of the list so the top end can keep earning $600k plus. Talk around the NRL is that this will be the wage correction that is needed since the Super League war inflated the wage bill. In all honesty does anyone really need to be making over $600,000 to play footy ?

The other thing about reducing it to 35, if a team has 7 players on the injury list, which half the sides have right now, you have two players outside the emergencies left. Increase that to 10 which isn't uncommon come June, and that means you don't have 4 fit emergencies to list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back