Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Additional year where you're unable to re-negotiate based on 2 years development unless the club is happy to talk a new deal a year earlier
plus you have to uproot your life to QLD for the sake of an additional year

And it's not like he's a fringe project player for us
2nd rd pick
>18 months into his career he's been called on to play an AFL game.

I'd back a 2 year offer with us vs. 3-4 elsewhere. Esp interstate.

I'd say there's no reason EFC can't retain him with a reasonable offer, just disagree with Ethan that we must only offer 2 based off what he's shown.

If the market says he's got 3 or 4 years on offer elsewhere, we'd be silly not to put an extra year on the table, especially if it's at a reasonable rate. Sometimes the market sets the rate, if it took $350k x 3 to retain him, for example, I wouldn't think that's too bad a deal.

I'd say there's no reason EFC can't retain him with a reasonable offer, just disagree with Ethan that we must only offer 2 based off what he's shown.

If the market says he's got 3 or 4 years on offer elsewhere, we'd be silly not to put an extra year on the table, especially if it's at a reasonable rate. Sometimes the market sets the rate, if it took $350k x 3 to retain him, for example, I wouldn't think that's too bad a deal.
Much of a muchness and if there is one thing our list mgmt team is good at, it's keeping players we want.

2 v 3-4 they'll work out.
Keeping Bryan would be high on their radar given age, pick investment & the fact he's played a decent 2/3 of an AFL game against mature ruck.

I was insinuating we upgrade our role players to guns (if/when we can).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Teams with too many guns tend not to function as a cohesive group. They're all used to being the best kid at their junior club and want to be paid a million bucks a year. See: GWS

I was insinuating we upgrade our role players to guns (if/when we can).

Would rather upgrade our role players to better role players.
GWS is a prime example of a side with too many guns / early draft picks that do not always play the team game week in and week out.
Would sooner use the Richmond model. Lots of good average role players with a few guns here and there.

Would rather upgrade our role players to better role players.
GWS is a prime example of a side with too many guns / early draft picks that do not always play the team game week in and week out.
Would sooner use the Richmond model. Lots of good average role players with a few guns here and there.

Cox to take us to the promised land with Cahill and Johnson doing their role? I like it.

Haven't done one of these in a few weeks so here goes:

3+ years: Darcy Parish, Jake Stringer, Mason Redman
2 years: Jayden Laverde, Harrison Jones, Nick Bryan, Ned Cahill, Will Snelling, Cian McBride
1 year: Martin Gleeson, Patrick Ambrose, Andrew Phillips, Kaine Baldwin, Alec Waterman, Tom Hird, Greg Clark (who I think we take in the MSD)

Delist/retire: David Zaharakis (ret), Tom Cutler, Irving Mosquito, Cale Hooker (ret), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Lachlan Johnson, Dylan Clarke

Trade/FA:

1. Zach Merrett (still think he goes) to whomever, get pick 5/6 back.

2. Matthew Guelfi to Freo/WC (rumours last year that he might go home) for a future 3rd or something, otherwise 2 years

3. George Hewett for a future second round pick (or sign as a FA if Merrett stays)

4. Lewis Young for a future 3rd round pick

Given after the MSD we'll be essentially +2 players for the year that means we have 5 places to fill, all of which can be ND picks I believe.

Pick 5: Josh Sinn (186/72 OM/Utility)
Pick 6: Matthew Johnson (191/80 IM)
Pick ~43: Inside Midfielder
Pick ~50: Small defender
RD 5: Small defender

I think we need to get the midfield and defence right this year. I think a couple of young small defenders will be important, even if Sinn can play as a sort of half back. Willing to wait on getting another small forward with the Davey twins (having no idea where they'll be next year) unless Tex is that sort of player as well.

Haven't done one of these in a few weeks so here goes:

3+ years: Darcy Parish, Jake Stringer, Mason Redman
2 years: Jayden Laverde, Harrison Jones, Nick Bryan, Ned Cahill, Will Snelling, Cian McBride
1 year: Martin Gleeson, Patrick Ambrose, Andrew Phillips, Kaine Baldwin, Alec Waterman, Tom Hird, Greg Clark (who I think we take in the MSD)

Delist/retire: David Zaharakis (ret), Tom Cutler, Irving Mosquito, Cale Hooker (ret), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Lachlan Johnson, Dylan Clarke

Trade/FA:

1. Zach Merrett (still think he goes) to whomever, get pick 5/6 back.

2. Matthew Guelfi to Freo/WC (rumours last year that he might go home) for a future 3rd or something, otherwise 2 years

3. George Hewett for a future second round pick (or sign as a FA if Merrett stays)

Given after the MSD we'll be essentially +2 players for the year that means we have 5 places to fill, all of which can be ND picks I believe.

Pick 5: Josh Sinn (186/72 OM/Utility)
Pick 6: Matthew Johnson (191/80 IM)
Pick ~43: Inside Midfielder
Pick ~50: Small defender
RD 5: Small defender

I think we need to get the midfield and defence right this year. I think a couple of young small defenders will be important, even if Sinn can play as a sort of half back. Willing to wait on getting another small forward with the Davey twins (having no idea where they'll be next year) unless Tex is that sort of player as well.
Merrett aside (think he'll stay tbh, but even if he goes, that pick won't get traded), trading our F1 into this years first round seems likely (Unless we have a crack at Cerra)
Mahoney did that a handful of times to great effect for the Dees and i can see him working with AD to do the same.

A lot of merit in the concept of bringing the new kids through together and getting the sharper ones in the same draft at the expense of another.
Johnson + Sinn would be a great result.

Merrett aside (think he'll stay tbh, but even if he goes, that pick won't get traded), trading our F1 into this years first round seems likely (Unless we have a crack at Cerra)
Mahoney did that a handful of times to great effect for the Dees and i can see him working with AD to do the same.

A lot of merit in the concept of bringing the new kids through together and getting the sharper ones in the same draft at the expense of another.
Johnson + Sinn would be a great result.
Absolutely not. If the Davey twins look like they'll be bid on before it next year, sure, but I'd rather multiple bites at the pie next year if we can get an early pick and the Davey twins. Future firsts are for established guns imo and we're not there yet

All over Lewis Young in general.

Not really sure what Bevo's problem is but it's pretty clear Young needs to move on.

Would be a significant upgrade to turn BZT's spot into Young.

All over Lewis Young in general.

Not really sure what Bevo's problem is but it's pretty clear Young needs to move on.

Would be a significant upgrade to turn BZT's spot into Young.
Agreed. Him or Jack Payne are the two blokes that I'm all in for. Will allow a more balanced defensive group with Laverde and Francis taking mediums rather than genuine KPP's most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely not. If the Davey twins look like they'll be bid on before it next year, sure, but I'd rather multiple bites at the pie next year if we can get an early pick and the Davey twins. Future firsts are for established guns imo and we're not there yet
im less enamoured on Cerra.
I like the idea of Merrett staying and your scenario of Sinn + Johnson though.

im less enamoured on Cerra.
I like the idea of Merrett staying and your scenario of Sinn + Johnson though.
The two don't mix. It's one or the other for me.

eth-dog or anyone else, for that matter, do you know anything about Alabakis at St Kilda?

He's probably not needed given the mix of Phillips, Draper and Bryan (Alabakis is the same age as Draper) but I can't help but notice he is still on the rookie list for his 3rd year.

Surely someone offers him a deal to try to take advantage of that rookie list loophole North used to sign Lachie Young from the Dogs last year.

Is Payne not best 22 at the Lions? That's surprising he was looking good last year.
Injured right now but Andrews, Adams and Gardiner are a strong trio of talls either way if Adams stays fit.
eth-dog or anyone else, for that matter, do you know anything about Alabakis at St Kilda?

He's probably not needed given the mix of Phillips, Draper and Bryan (Alabakis is the same age as Draper) but I can't help but notice he is still on the rookie list for his 3rd year.

Surely someone offers him a deal to try to take advantage of that rookie list loophole North used to sign Lachie Young from the Dogs last year.
He's still very raw and I'm not even sure if St. Kilda plan to keep him around. He was a basketball background IIRC (Cat B) and has decent craft and looks athletic enough though. But I do think we should have a look at someone in that mid 20's age bracket over the next couple of years.

Why the desperation to move Phillips on?

I mean, he’s ‘only’ 29, seems content with where his AFL journey is at and with such an exciting duo to teach (Draper + Bryan), I’d be stoked if he stayed another year. Seems a perfect #2 > #3 listed ruck.

Ideally adding an 18 year old long term option wouldn’t be a bad thing. Unless you want to push Bryan down to #4 on the list of our rucks?

Agreed. Him or Jack Payne are the two blokes that I'm all in for. Will allow a more balanced defensive group with Laverde and Francis taking mediums rather than genuine KPP's most weeks.

Oscar Clavarino is another one I’m watching intently on if/when he debuts.

I mean, he’s ‘only’ 29, seems content with where his AFL journey is at and with such an exciting duo to teach (Draper + Bryan), I’d be stoked if he stayed another year. Seems a perfect #2 > #3 listed ruck.

Ideally adding an 18 year old long term option wouldn’t be a bad thing. Unless you want to push Bryan down to #4 on the list of our rucks?

I'd be okay with giving Phillips one year deals from now until he retires tbh. He's good depth and I'd love it if he could teach Draper and Bryan how to do all the second and third effort stuff he does.

It's not really desperation, but he's fairly injury prone, which is one of the things that you can't really afford from a depth ruck.
Oscar Clavarino is another one I’m watching intently on if/when he debuts.

Not really a fan honestly from what I've seen.

It's not really desperation, but he's fairly injury prone, which is one of the things that you can't really afford from a depth ruck.

Not really a fan honestly from what I've seen.
Ruck depth is hard to build these days.
Draper + Bryan will be a blessing when you consider Wright is also on the list.

I'd give Flip another 1-2 if we can't find anyone to fill the void, but whoever we are looking at should probably have a second bow. Preferably as a capable defender.......can Stewart ruck? :p

Ruck depth is hard to build these days.
Draper + Bryan will be a blessing when you consider Wright is also on the list.

I'd give Flip another 1-2 if we can't find anyone to fill the void, but whoever we are looking at should probably have a second bow. Preferably as a capable defender.......can Stewart ruck? :p
Why would the second bow be as a defender? If anything we'd want them to be capable forward in case Wright gets injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back