Team Mgmt. Talk about the makeup of our list - midfield balance, height profile, endurance runners

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you can really ask for is a set of players who fill the needs on the list and who have the attributes that we can develop into the sorts of players that really make a difference in an AFL match.

With that in mind you can't really fault the picks that were taken.

Hobbs is the style of mid we don't pick, that no frills inside work horse with the engine to go all day. Not every player of the future midfield needs to be able to do it all. What we should have learned by now is that having the pieces to fit together is more important than the ability of the individuals. He's also an extremely highly regarded player who is credited with the sort of intangibles that are a key ingredient in good teams. I wouldn't get caught up in arguing with the caricature of Dodoro when it comes to Hobbs 'being rated in the top 7'. Plenty of draft watchers had Hobbs in this range. It's not a big claim that needs to be rationalised.

Lord is another that fills a clear area of need. We lost Saad and McKenna and only replaced one of them. Admittedly, there has been a reshuffle which has addressed this loss in the best 22 but there is no depth of running defenders. Lord has all of the raw attributes to be the player we need.

I had an initial scepticism when it came to McDonagh because my fingers were crossed that Long would fall to us (Long clearly being another style of player who was a clear need). Physical, big engine, big kick and someone who can provide us with the depth the list doesn't have, particularly in terms of physicality around the ball. That all works.

Voss is the one who ties it all together. A big, aggressive brute of a kid who seems to have too many tricks for a player who wasn't looked at as more than a rookie. I don't think we should be fooled into thinking he can do it in 2022 or even 2023 but as a project he's essentially everything we would ask for when it comes to adding that big body and physical presence around the ball.

If you look at the next generation of midfielders, which would start with Caldwell it's shaping up quite nicely with a much better balance of options than we've had. You're looking at:

1. Caldwell, 183cm & 82kgs is a dynamic inside/out clearance player;
2. Perkins, 188cm & 87kgs, is another potentially dynamic inside/out clearance player with top level endurance;
3. Hobbs, 183cm & 79kgs, is the inside workhorse who seems to work hard both ways;
4. Voss, 194cm & 88kgs (I've rounded this number because there are conflicting reports), is a guy who it looks to me we will develop inside and I'd suggest that should be as more of a defensive player - at least initially - something like Yeo because before he became a complete star.

I would really like to add Rantall as an SSP because you can't overestimate the benefit of that running power between the arcs.

Thrown in Durham and Cox on the wings and there is a really nice blend of midfield and wing options for the future. When the balance works by default it becomes very easy to manage from that point.

Last edited:
Looks an incredibly well balanced list now

Basically ticked the 3 boxes we were after
Inside mid
Half back
Small Forward

Then Voss a utility who could end up anywhere

Small forward the priority, could allow Lord to have greater flexibility to his half back role

Still plenty that didnt get taken (Stretch Williamson, Preston). I suspect we look at the last 2 victorians quite a bit, both a bit older from memory or just Williamson?

The list is looking good but I think we have two needs going forward and neither are that easy to find.

1. High impact midfielder. I really like the depth of our midfield but the thing we lack is top end star power. Not many teams have won flags without a few top 10 midfielders. Parish and Merrett are elite players but there is a gap between what they can do and the likes of Petracca, Bontempelli, Oliver, Prime Martin/Fyfe/Dangerfield could do and that was overwhelm opposition with high impact play. Our boys are death by a thousand cuts types.
We potentially have this man in Stringer, but while he has moments of brilliance there is the lack of consistent production in his game. Best season last year and averaged 16.4 disposals, need this around 25 to match the production of the top 5 players in the competition. Potentially Perkins but also the question of having never played big midfield minutes or had high level production. The tough part is they are rarely found outside of the top few in drafts. With the looming father/sons potential to exploit the point system and trade up in the coming draft to access one if avaliable.

2. Dynamic small forward with aerial ability. Think Cyril, Picken, Bolton, Ryan, Elliott, Pickett, Weightman even Puopolo. These guys that can play pseudo key position roles based on their attributes and are nightmare match ups. We've seen this type consistently in grand final teams over the last decade.
We currently don't have any of these types on our list, but Tex Wanganeen has shown a certain penchant for elevation in the preseason. Potential to develop. We have the Davey's coming but not sure either have demonstrated that aerial ability, though if they are anything like their father we will kick the ball to them they can jump ten feet off the ground.

I do have a caveat to this: I think we have done very well drafting point of difference players in recent years. Cox, Perkins, Jones, Durham, Draper, Baldwin. You look out across the competition and you don't see many like them. They might be able to provide superstar elements in non traditional/dynamic ways that compliment the more work man like midfield enough to see success.

Need to keep things a bit simpler.

I can understand the need for Stewart to hold position if the opponent has a few really tall forwards.

Against the Saints, though, he goes to King and doesn't leave him when there is nothing Ridley and Laverde can't handle. You're just asking King to take a game away from you having guys giving 5 inches playing on him. That was the point of Stewart as a defender.

Need to keep things a bit simpler.

I can understand the need for Stewart to hold position if the opponent has a few really tall forwards.

Against the Saints, though, he goes to King and doesn't leave him when there is nothing Ridley and Laverde can't handle. You're just asking King to take a game away from you having guys giving 5 inches playing on him. That was the point of Stewart as a defender.

Have to agree - its pretty weird that wasn't the go to matchup for the entire game when you consider their KP's and our KP's.

We're short a tall defender, pardon the pun. We've gone in thinking that Stewart and a bunch of mediums will work but when you come up against two gun key forwards it won't.

It's sink or swim time for Zerk-Thatcher. Give him the next 5 games and just stick with him. Give him the jobs against McStay, McDonald, Himmelberg, Treacy and Cox/Cameron and just let him play that second key defender role. If he fails then we know once and for all that he'll be nothing more than depth. If he goes well, then great.

Got to be a bit more calculating with selections, especially when we're chosing between kids who are not ready.

Let Baldwin prove he has the mobility to be an AFL standard player. There is serious doubt there. It's a wasted selection until we know he can be a player.

Bryan should play. His future role is as a key forward and second ruck. We're biding time while he develops physically, etc. Now is the time to get him a few games.

Whether Wright is a number 1, or is supposed to be the number 1, is irrelevant. We don't have a marking target when he is rucking.

He's still good enough to cause enough problems for an opponent. Bryan at least allows him to play forward full time.

Medium/half forwards are fine.

As for the smalls, I suppose its a matter of how long it takes Tex to get fit enough and for Tippa to return. Lord migh also get a look as there is no bite at ground level.

I'd strongly consider playing Hobbs to increase the time forward for Shiel and Caldwell. That helps to add more speed at ground level. Smith is shite as is Guelfi.

Last edited:
Got to be a bit more calculating with selections, especially when we're chosing between kids who are not ready.

Let Baldwin prove he has the mobility to be an AFL standard player. There is serious doubt there. It's a wasted selection until we know he can be a player.

Bryan should play. His future role is as a key forward and second ruck. We're biding time while he develops physically, etc. Now is the time to get him a few games.

Whether Wright is a number 1, or is supposed to be the number 1, is irrelevant. We don't have a marking target when he is rucking.

He's still good enough to cause enough problems for an opponent. Bryan at least allow him to play forward full time.

Medium/half forwards are fine.

As for the smalls, I suppose its a matter of how long it takes Tex to get fit enough and for Tippa to return. Lord migh also get a look as there is no bite at ground level.

I'd strongly consider playing Hobbs to increase the time forward for Shiel and Caldwell. That helps to add more speed at ground level. Smith is shite as is Guelfi.
Agree with this post.

Baldwin was a strange selection. Mobility is a huge question mark but he also doesn’t look to have the spring or reach to really impact in the air. It was a huge call to play him ahead of both Bryant and Francis. Feels like we gifted him a game tbh. Obviously, it’s a small sample size…I’d love to be proven wrong.

I’m happy to play Baldwin in the Hooker role. Let him develop.

Jones as a leadup. Wright plays best as an extra tall.
Baldwin has always been a lead up kick the footy in front of him forward in a similar mold to Tex Walker from what I have seen in vision of him. He has not been a stand and mark forward. I have doubts he can play that Hooker type role of being the big strong forward. Has never been that guy from what I know.
What is evident is he is willing to try an advance his game and try to work in some subtle blocking for his team mates so a future leadup combo with Jones and him working in tandem may work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with this post.

Baldwin was a strange selection. Mobility is a huge question mark but he also doesn’t look to have the spring or reach to really impact in the air. It was a huge call to play him ahead of both Bryant and Francis. Feels like we gifted him a game tbh. Obviously, it’s a small sample size…I’d love to be proven wrong.
Francis was considered just short of being ready which is why they did not play him.
Baldwin had played all the practice stuff forward where as Bryan has not. He was shown up and it was sort of a gift game but I think it was more due to the Jones injury and them being conservative with Francis.
To me Baldwin needs some time in the VFL getting his craft sorted. He looked like someone who has missed two years.

Francis was considered just short of being ready which is why they did not play him.
Baldwin had played all the practice stuff forward where as Bryan has not. He was shown up and it was sort of a gift game but I think it was more due to the Jones injury and them being conservative with Francis.
To me Baldwin needs some time in the VFL getting his craft sorted. He looked like someone who has missed two years.

The error was in not playing Bryan when the forward were underdone anyway.

Im hoping by years end our small forwards will be Snelling, Tippa, Tex and Martin. Talls Wright, Jones and whoever can demand a spot out of Francis/Baldwin. Happy to get some games into Bryan too to see what he can do.

I actually thought Baldwin was pretty competitive when it was in his area, about as much as could feasibly be expected. Laid a massive tackle and took a bloody good mark out in front on the dive illustrating those great dukes. Doesn’t mean he wouldn’t benefit from development in the VFL but we made it exceptionally difficult for him yesterday.

On a broader level the front 6 has basically been built backwards so it should come as no surprise to see it being a little bit of a house of cards.

Fair enough re Frang.

Reckon I would have taken the punt on Bryan who has very clear AFL level attributes. But take your point.

The error was in not playing Bryan when the forward were underdone anyway.
Maybe but Bryan has not really done any forward work of any quality so far and has pretty much only played some second string footy.

We're short a tall defender, pardon the pun. We've gone in thinking that Stewart and a bunch of mediums will work but when you come up against two gun key forwards it won't.

It's sink or swim time for Zerk-Thatcher. Give him the next 5 games and just stick with him. Give him the jobs against McStay, McDonald, Himmelberg, Treacy and Cox/Cameron and just let him play that second key defender role. If he fails then we know once and for all that he'll be nothing more than depth. If he goes well, then great.
Who out of our current defensive set up makes way for Zerk?

i keep forgetting about Zerk.
Absolutely right. Give him the spot

My preferred setup;
Ridley BZT Kelly
Hind Francis Laverde
+Cutler

Run with this for the year.
Not sure if the ship has sailed on Stewart playing forward. But he could go up & let Baldwin develop and get ready for an AFL stint.

Who out of our current defensive set up makes way for Zerk?

Forget BZT, just wait till Reid is fit.

As for who makes way, I'm thinking 2 birds with 1 stone.

I'd be adding Laverde to the midfield rotation purely as a defensive player. I'd probably do it as an out number player from half forward. He'd definitely go in when Danger is running riot. It is embarrassing watching our AAs get steamrolled.

I'm open to suggestions as for who else could even do it.

Last edited:

I'd be adding Laverde to the midfield rotation purely as a defensive player. I'd probably do it as an out number player from half forward. He'd definitely go in when Danger is running riot. It is embarrassing watching our AAs get steamrolled.

I'm open to suggestions as for who could even do it.
i think you need to give BZT more than cameos. Stewart has had a bit. Admittedly its a little harsh to judge him on ydays game, but i'd rather swing him back forward so we aren't throwing Baldwin to the wolves.

I'm open to suggestions as for who could even do it.
Id play Reid as soon as he's strung some games and form together in the VFL. But probably put him in as 3rd tall so we dont break him too early, at least til he's filled out a bit more. As for Laverde does he have the tank to play midfield? I think there'd also be question marks on whether his body will hold up playing that role. We do need someone in there with some size though with a defensive mindset.

Id play Reid as soon as he's strung some games and form together in the VFL. But probably put him in as 3rd tall so we dont break him too early, at least til he's filled out a bit more. As for Laverde does he have the tank to play midfield? I think there'd also be question marks on whether his body will hold up playing that role. We do need someone in there with some size though with a defensive mindset.
Pretty sure they will play Reid as soon as they can. They did last year. Will need a few games as you say.

No to Laverde in the midfield. He is a flanker. We have just managed to get a midfield full of midfielders , although yesterday it did not show . No more converted flankers masquerading as midfielders. Keep Laverde in defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back