Opinion Talk the talk, but prepared to make an extra effort?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rear Admiral

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lots of forum members submit some really fantastic posts, well and truly. Many of them have been thoughts/opinions I've held, but I couldn't quite word them....only to find some members have found the words to explain it, where I take my hat off. But if people are really keen on making a difference, what they need to do is put pen to paper (or keyboard) and start contacting the club. Their contact details are here:

https://www.19thman.com.au/contact-details

There are a whole lot of different issues (particularly List Management and Team Selection), but taking a step back....there are bigger issues that members/supporters need to put to the club (and in big numbers) and that's the club's stock-standard response to almost every question or query put to them:

"We don't discuss those sort of things publicly."

If someone is stupid enough to question the club about something like a specific player's contract details (what they get paid, etc.), then they need to go and chase some brick walls, ideally at a full sprint....with their head bent over forwards. But it's perfectly reasonable to question the club about various decisions such as specific List Management/Team Selection issues, and when they reply with the typical:

Then they need to have their feet held to the fire, again and again and again. Back when Brad Scott delisted Boomer Harvey, people can argue forever and a day whether it was the right decision, but Scott went ahead with that decision, but more the point - he openly explained why he made that decision. This is something the Crows Hierarchy are genetically incapable of doing, and this nonsene needs to change. Not simply delisting/retaining any one player or another, but being willing to justify the decisions they make, whatever they might be. If some supporters say:

"Oh, contacting the club won't make any difference."

I'm calling bullsh*t on that right now; it's simply an excuse for their laziness/apathy. If you seriously give a sh*t about a particular issue at the club, then contact them....in writing. Aside from the club's lack of willingness to justify their decisions publicly - if there's one thing that members/supporters need to message the club over it's to get them to pay this person (as in my e-Signature) to visit the club as a motivational speaker. Fages would have to drop some serious coin to get this bloke to attend, but it would worth every cent, many times over.

If you read what this bloke has done, you'll be damn hard pressed to justify uttering the word "can't" ever again....and the extends to contacting the club. You think I'm talking rubbish? Go look at what this bloke has done....all the clips....start to finish.

I email the club, they just give standard bs responses with sprinkling of smugness, though I am sure if enough people emailed them they would start to take notice.

It really is our only avenue to question them. If you question too much on the facebook page they just ban you.

The win/loss record against top 8 teams and finals is a good measure of letting the club know where they really stand. The fact they dont listen to these losses and implement changes through selection is worrying. We are not proactive but reactionary in our decision making. That must change!

we're not members so much as subscribers.

Could not agree more. But what has happened in recent seasons is the club has changed it's structure to include (I think) at least one member-elected Board Member. Is this is enough? Not at all, but it's a start. The problem is, most of us Aussies chuck in the towel far, far too easily, and clubs/departments/organisations know this - that's why they get away with so much sh*t.

Dealing with the club is unfortunately similar to engaging with Government, you din't go in alone. Advocacy, rather than lobbyists can be very effective with Government, this is what we need with the club. Not the supporters group but a well structured advocacy body.

I used to email Harper, Trigg and Chapman back in the day and they always replied.

I'm taking credit for Neil Craig's sacking, but if Trigg listened to me one week earlier we wouldn't have lost by 100 points to St Kilda.

The win/loss record against top 8 teams and finals is a good measure of letting the club know where they really stand. The fact they dont listen to these losses and implement changes through selection is worrying. We are not proactive but reactionary in our decision making. That must change!

How do we sit this year on our win loss ratio against top 8 teams do far

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I used to email Harper, Trigg and Chapman back in the day and they always replied.

I'm taking credit for Neil Craig's sacking, but if Trigg listened to me one week earlier we wouldn't have lost by 100 points to St Kilda.

I've had phone calls after I've amused myself with emails and I love it, I think they believe i will turn into a shrinking violet if I am called and questioned by both the AFC and the SANFL. I'm never rude but then again I will never ever back down I'm not the sort to

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dealing with the club is unfortunately similar to engaging with Government, you din't go in alone. Advocacy, rather than lobbyists can be very effective with Government, this is what we need with the club. Not the supporters group but a well structured advocacy body.
its a good thought, but personally I'd find it too embarrassing to go to that sort of effort for footy when there are plenty of more important issues out there you could be spending your free time on.

its a good thought, but personally I'd find it too embarrassing to go to that sort of effort for footy when there are plenty of more important issues out there you could be spending your free time on.
Too much time on ones hands but you are exactly right.

Lots of forum members submit some really fantastic posts, well and truly. Many of them have been thoughts/opinions I've held, but I couldn't quite word them....only to find some members have found the words to explain it, where I take my hat off. But if people are really keen on making a difference, what they need to do is put pen to paper (or keyboard) and start contacting the club. Their contact details are here:

https://www.19thman.com.au/contact-details

There are a whole lot of different issues (particularly List Management and Team Selection), but taking a step back....there are bigger issues that members/supporters need to put to the club (and in big numbers) and that's the club's stock-standard response to almost every question or query put to them:

If someone is stupid enough to question the club about something like a specific player's contract details (what they get paid, etc.), then they need to go and chase some brick walls, ideally at a full sprint....with their head bent over forwards. But it's perfectly reasonable to question the club about various decisions such as specific List Management/Team Selection issues, and when they reply with the typical:

Then they need to have their feet held to the fire, again and again and again. Back when Brad Scott delisted Boomer Harvey, people can argue forever and a day whether it was the right decision, but Scott went ahead with that decision, but more the point - he openly explained why he made that decision. This is something the Crows Hierarchy are genetically incapable of doing, and this nonsene needs to change. Not simply delisting/retaining any one player or another, but being willing to justify the decisions they make, whatever they might be. If some supporters say:

"Oh, contacting the club won't make any difference."

I'm calling bullsh*t on that right now; it's simply an excuse for their laziness/apathy. If you seriously give a sh*t about a particular issue at the club, then contact them....in writing. Aside from the club's lack of willingness to justify their decisions publicly - if there's one thing that members/supporters need to message the club over it's to get them to pay this person (as in my e-Signature) to visit the club as a motivational speaker. Fages would have to drop some serious coin to get this bloke to attend, but it would worth every cent, many times over.

If you read what this bloke has done, you'll be damn hard pressed to justify uttering the word "can't" ever again....and the extends to contacting the club. You think I'm talking rubbish? Go look at what this bloke has done....all the clips....start to finish.

I contacted the club with some clever marketing ideas on a few occasions over the years. All of them were ignored.

If we hadn't lost to St Kilda by 100 points, Trigg probably wouldn't have listened at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back