FTA-TV Talking Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 have announced that their Monday Night footy show “Talking Footy” will not be returning in 2021.

The show was one of many sacrifices in 2020 as the global pandemic took over and the AFL headed into hubs for the season.

Channel 7 opted to remove both Talking Footy and Sunday morning program “Game Day” from its scheduling in 2020, with the former now ruled out of a return for this year.

Managing Director Lewis Martin confirmed the decision on SEN Breakfast this morning, but hinted the network had further plans in store for viewers.

“No (it won’t be back this year), but stand by for a couple of announcements because we’re certainly building into a pretty substantial footy magazine offering across the coverage, but not Talking Footy coming back, no,” Martin said.

Jeez they axed Gameday too? Crazy

That was no big loss, they spent more time on there talking about player's private lives than the football and Hame was insufferable as the host.

I do miss Talking Footy though, it was a good wrap up of the footy on a Monday night.

That was no big loss, they spent more time on there talking about player's private lives than the football and Hame was insufferable as the host.

I do miss Talking Footy though, it was a good wrap up of the footy on a Monday night.

I guess, just growing up it felt like that was the main footy show on Sundays, was always there. Shithouse show compared to the SFS though.

If Channel 7 had a Sunday Doubleheader like they used to back in the day, then a 60 minute/90 minute pre-game type show like Gameday would have worked well.
7 never had a Sunday double header since 2007 unless you count the AFLW. Ch9 used to do the Sunday double header 2002-2006.

It's nuts that the Front Bar is only footy related show on the FTA network that actually broadcasts the game.
And they don't even do the Footy Marathon pre-GF as well. Just reflects change in mindset of the network from the pre-2002 era.

Back in the 1990s, it was clear the network would take great pride in being the footy network and would fill their schedule with footy-based shows, season retrospectives and even an occasional doco.

Since 2007, thats all clearly gone. It's just another product the equivalent of whatever reality show that is dominating their schedule.

Not all of the 90s stuff was great, but it's a shame it no longer exists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 never had a Sunday double header since 2007 unless you count the AFLW. Ch9 used to do the Sunday double header 2002-2006.

C10’s Saturday coverage was similar. Delayed arvo game, news, Before The Game, live night game followed by wrap up with Blight and Christian. Was really well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And they don't even do the Footy Marathon pre-GF as well. Just reflects change in mindset of the network from the pre-2002 era.

Back in the 1990s, it was clear the network would take great pride in being the footy network and would fill their schedule with footy-based shows, season retrospectives and even an occasional doco.

Since 2007, thats all clearly gone. It's just another product the equivalent of whatever reality show that is dominating their schedule.

Not all of the 90s stuff was great, but it's a shame it no longer exists.

So true, the marathons and That Was The Season That Was retrospectives were great to watch growing up.

C10’s Saturday coverage was similar. Delayed arvo game, news, Before The Game, live night game followed by wrap up with Blight and Christian. Was really well done.

From a coverage POV, that 2002-2006 period with 9/10 was purely the best the game has ever had. The fox coverage is great don't get me wrong, but in terms of FTA exposure it's obviously no match.

I'm pretty sure the Ch10 Saturday 2pm game was live because it led into the news at 5pm, could be wrong though, don't have any old tv guides on me.

Yep. We get full live games now I guess, but 7's coverage (moreso the peripheral stuff and packaging) by far the worst when you think about it.

From a coverage POV, that 2002-2006 period with 9/10 was purely the best the game has ever had. The fox coverage is great don't get me wrong, but in terms of FTA exposure it's obviously no match.

I'm pretty sure the Ch10 Saturday 2pm game was live because it led into the news at 5pm, could be wrong though, don't have any old tv guides on me.

It could well have been live, at any rate I totally agree the coverage was at its peak on those days. The 9/10 joint venture was ace.

The article states that the show became a ’victim of the pandemic.’ The pandemic did not stop Channel 9 showing Footy Classified twice a week and The Sunday Footy Show once a week even when there was no footy on. Talking Footy in its last incarnation was simply not very good and some changes will be needed for the new version to last.

Yeah the well received comment I thought was funny. You'd hope Trent and Joel can have an actual opinion. Ch7 had lingy for a decade sitting on the fence don't need more.
Ch7 were just taken the p 1 55 by blaming the pandemic. They were just trying to save money on investment (AFL rights) the got complacent. Im pretty sure the AFL said you won't be getting the rights if you don't pull you're finger out.

Yeah the well received comment I thought was funny. You'd hope Trent and Joel can have an actual opinion. Ch7 had lingy for a decade sitting on the fence don't need more.
I was gunna say, I reckon Cotchin and Selwood should quickly find some personalities and opinions if they want substantial, lengthy media careers; then again, lacking those things might help them fit right in on Ch 7 :grinv1:

I was gunna say, I reckon Cotchin and Selwood should quickly find some personalities and opinions if they want substantial, lengthy media careers; then again, lacking those things might help them fit right in on Ch 7 :grinv1:
For sure. I'm not optimistic. Both are going to come across very boring. Even with their knowledge. I'd prefer Mitch Cleary for the whole show over both of them.

For sure. I'm not optimistic. Both are going to come across very boring. Even with their knowledge. I'd prefer Mitch Cleary for the whole show over both of them.
Talking Finals was the most boring footy chat show ever. It was much better when Mick Warner was on it, but I gather they were ordered to get rid of him when he was writing his book that bags the League. Even Carey made it better than the latest versions

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back