FTA-TV Talking Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking Finals was the most boring footy chat show ever. It was much better when Mick Warner was on it, but I gather they were ordered to get rid of him when he was writing his book that bags the League. Even Carey made it better than the latest versions
hasn't been good in over 20 years

The article states that the show became a ’victim of the pandemic.’ The pandemic did not stop Channel 9 showing Footy Classified twice a week and The Sunday Footy Show once a week even when there was no footy on. Talking Footy in its last incarnation was simply not very good and some changes will be needed for the new version to last.
As much as I love the show in its own right, I'll always have an extra-special affinity for the SFS because they kept going in the very darkest of times with no sport and it helped keep me, and I'm sure many others, going.
Yeah the well received comment I thought was funny. You'd hope Trent and Joel can have an actual opinion. Ch7 had lingy for a decade sitting on the fence don't need more.
Ch7 were just taken the p 1 55 by blaming the pandemic. They were just trying to save money on investment (AFL rights) the got complacent. Im pretty sure the AFL said you won't be getting the rights if you don't pull you're finger out.
Kane Cornes will reprise his Lingy opinion graph with everything at zero :D

I actually didn't mind Talking Footy before it got axed. Usually not a big fan of BT but I enjoyed him on the show. Also found it funny how members of the panel seemed to have a great deal of contempt for that flog McClure.

Not sure about Cotchin and Selwood as panellists. Talking Finals wasn't the worst footy show I've ever seen, but parts of it were quite boring and awkward. I think it's due to the fact that neither of them have a great deal of charisma.

Why do the so called star players once retired automatically become footy show panelists regardless of how dull they are?

Maybe retirees from 2023 like Lachie Plowman & Andrew Phillips (2 names off the top of my head) are great analysts of the game and present well on the tele but because they are not perceived big names or former captains they will never get a look in.

I actually didn't mind Talking Footy before it got axed. Usually not a big fan of BT but I enjoyed him on the show. Also found it funny how members of the panel seemed to have a great deal of contempt for that flog McClure.

Not sure about Cotchin and Selwood as panellists. Talking Finals wasn't the worst footy show I've ever seen, but parts of it were quite boring and awkward. I think it's due to the fact that neither of them have a great deal of charisma.

Yeah that version of the show was pretty good. I remember it being on 7mate at a reasonable time on a Monday night

Not a great start lol. JB asks who worries you. Joel says Collingwood! Trent says Carlton, but not the way they play. All just making statements and saying words for the sake of it to fill space. No substance. It's only 3 mins in! Also they're all standing up. Sit down!!

Not a great start lol. JB asks who worries you. Joel says Collingwood! Trent says Carlton, but not the way they play. All just making statements and saying words for the sake of it to fill space. No substance. It's only 3 mins in! Also they're all standing up. Sit down!!
Spot on with the standing thing. It looks so awkward, no one seems relaxed at all.

Didn't watch all of it. They did get into the groove after awhile. Playing older clips and old promos was good. Crossing to Mitch Cleary is a good segment. But yeah just sit down and relax abit. Tim was practically breathing into Trent's mouth they were standing so close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All up, seemed like a show that was done with minimal preparation.
Disjointed, awkward...like nobody knew what was coming up next or what questions they were about to be asked.
Couldn't agree more re sitting down. My god they looked uncomfortable standing for the whole show.
Hopefully that's the first and last we see of Tim Watson's 'Say That Again' segment. Embarrassing fail from the start, with JB failing to introduce it properly.
Can only get better 🙏

Last edited:
Didn't watch all of it. They did get into the groove after awhile. Playing older clips and old promos was good. Crossing to Mitch Cleary is a good segment. But yeah just sit down and relax abit. Tim was practically breathing into Trent's mouth they were standing so close.
Cold and without warmth and humor. Stiff like cardboard.

get rid of the cold blue colours for starters... then work on some humor mixed into footy talk. yesteryear and todays footy with footy greats as guests. inc umps.

Boring. Selwood and Cotchin have the personality of two stale pieces of bread. Dull.

Watson looks like he's confused and ready for his pyjamas and hot Milo and Brayshaw just looks like he doesn't want to be there.

Agreed, I suspect Brayshaw had little choice from a network perspective and was told he had to do it.

Watson just doesn't watch enough football now a days. The other two are dull, I don't think they will last long in the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back