Tall Forwards and the 6-6-6 rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've been thinking about the drafting strategy and how having a bunch of tall forwards required to be parked down there at centre stoppages might have influenced who was selected. Leaving aside that I think King will be a gun and was the best available at #4

Having a 7th defender sitting in front of the key forwards won't be possible under the 6-6-6 rule and I can imagine the sweats defenders may get with the ball in the centre, no additional help and (eventually) King, McCartin/Bruce/RoMo with Membrey, Long and Gresham lurking.

The lineup may change (bit slow maybe) but you may start to see defensive and attacking wings as roles to help out with one designated to run defensive. This is why speed was prioritised with Kent, and the mature ages picked along with an extractor in Bytel/Hanners who may be required to feed it out to get quick entries.

They may be more valuable under the new rules than they normally would be.

I think that the new 6 6 6 rule will dramatically change the value of certain players but like any decision the AFL makes, there will be ill-considered and unintended consequences.

My 2c

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm still not really sold on how much of an impact it will have for tall forwards.
You say it won't be possible to have a 7th defender but all they need to do is have him standing on the opposite side of the 50m line and then walk in when the ball is bounced.

To me it kind of depends on how much the coaches buy into it, if they want more defenders or forwards they will find a way to exploit the rule as they always do

I've been thinking about the drafting strategy and how having a bunch of tall forwards required to be parked down there at centre stoppages might have influenced who was selected. Leaving aside that I think King will be a gun and was the best available at #4

Having a 7th defender sitting in front of the key forwards won't be possible under the 6-6-6 rule and I can imagine the sweats defenders may get with the ball in the centre, no additional help and (eventually) King, McCartin/Bruce/RoMo with Membrey, Long and Gresham lurking.

The lineup may change (bit slow maybe) but you may start to see defensive and attacking wings as roles to help out with one designated to run defensive. This is why speed was prioritised with Kent, and the mature ages picked along with an extractor in Bytel/Hanners who may be required to feed it out to get quick entries.

I think that the new 6 6 6 rule will dramatically change the value of certain players but like any decision the AFL makes, there will be ill-considered and unintended consequences.

My 2c

Good post - curious to find out if it will be enforced. The speed we have added along with Membrey, McCartin, King, Bruce etc makes for lots of opitions

another bit of intrigue for me is what happens if Longer goes down, do we have faith in Pierce and Marshall? Or do we not rate the importance of rucks? (Yep probably belongs in its own thread)

My 2c

If anything at all the rule hurts talls. Currently the forwards can start anywhere which usually means about 3 groups or 6 players are in the 50. Maybe a 7 th player if they have a spare so there is a little bit of room after each centre bounce. Now there will be 12 players in the 50 after each centre bounce. That leaves little room. And if a side want a spare it will take them about 3 seconds to have one so unless it’s a bloody quick clearance which means kicking to 12 players anyway there will be a spare if the club chooses to have one. The rule will have zero impact in a positive way on forwards. Happy for others to tell me I’m reading it wrong but can’t see it

Good post - curious to find out if it will be enforced. The speed we have added along with Membrey, McCartin, King, Bruce etc makes for lots of opitions

another bit of intrigue for me is what happens if Longer goes down, do we have faith in Pierce and Marshall? Or do we not rate the importance of rucks? (Yep probably belongs in its own thread)
I know it was kinda forced to play Lewis this year but he was serviceable and should only improve as should Roma

Sadly if longer gets injured we improve

If anything at all the rule hurts talls. Currently the forwards can start anywhere which usually means about 3 groups or 6 players are in the 50. Maybe a 7 th player if they have a spare so there is a little bit of room after each centre bounce. Now there will be 12 players in the 50 after each centre bounce. That leaves little room. And if a side want a spare it will take them about 3 seconds to have one so unless it’s a bloody quick clearance which means kicking to 12 players anyway there will be a spare if the club chooses to have one. The rule will have zero impact in a positive way on forwards. Happy for others to tell me I’m reading it wrong but can’t see it

I tend to agree when you think that all half forwards started on the centre square at centre bounces. Sometimes the half forwards pushed around to the wing to start and a forward pocket move up.

So that puts at least another 6 x players inside the forward 50 arc when the ball enters. It will no doubt allow the dominant midfields room to move the ball more quickly. It may also help us against the quicker rebounding teams.

I think it may also create more stoppages in the forward lines than before, which could also benefit us. One thing for sure is that strong marking forwards and good crumbing small forwards will still be important.

I'm still not really sold on how much of an impact it will have for tall forwards.
You say it won't be possible to have a 7th defender but all they need to do is have him standing on the opposite side of the 50m line and then walk in when the ball is bounced.

To me it kind of depends on how much the coaches buy into it, if they want more defenders or forwards they will find a way to exploit the rule as they always do

Good post .The AFL expect the game to open up and increase scoring . so Carlton will be beaten by 200 points . In comparison the poor teams will not get any better against the opposition. lets say Carlton play Richmond , this season 100 next ,season 200 points , see were i going with this. Its all about 80 % of the population who cannot afford Foxtel . This will see an increase in those pesky ads in free to air , after goals are scored so a high scoring game could take 10 hrs to complete
be warned , be very warned .

Good post .The AFL expect the game to open up and increase scoring . so Carlton will be beaten by 200 points . In comparison the poor teams will not get any better against the opposition. lets say Carlton play Richmond , this season 100 next ,season 200 points , see were i going with this. Its all about 80 % of the population who cannot afford Foxtel . This will see an increase in those pesky ads in free to air , after goals are scored so a high scoring game could take 10 hrs to complete
be warned , be very warned .

It effects about 5 seconds after a bounce then it’s back to normal. No effect

It effects about 5 seconds after a bounce then it’s back to normal. No effect
I reckon how they use the wings will tell you.
They’re likely to be the quickest #7 in the D50.
Undoubtedly we will see some new placement strategies, like a defensive wing starting at the defensive end of the square, or even between the square and the D50 arc.
I’ve got a feeling that dominance in the midfield will become more important.

But you’re right: after the bounce it’ll revert to normal.

I reckon how they use the wings will tell you.
They’re likely to be the quickest #7 in the D50.
Undoubtedly we will see some new placement strategies, like a defensive wing starting at the defensive end of the square, or even between the square and the D50 arc.
I’ve got a feeling that dominance in the midfield will become more important.

But you’re right: after the bounce it’ll revert to normal.
I totally agree. The biggest effect will be from the midfield as hff and chf won’t be running straight into the square. A good clearance midfield could be vital.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly if longer gets injured we improve
Come on plugger give it a rest - I’m pretty sure you’ve banged on at other posters for hating on players or richo but you’re nailing billy every chance you get.

Practice what you preach eh...billy is a saint and I’d wager he’ll be at the first bounce of the season...

Come on plugger give it a rest - I’m pretty sure you’ve banged on at other posters for hating on players or richo but you’re nailing billy every chance you get.

Practice what you preach eh...billy is a saint and I’d wager he’ll be at the first bounce of the season...
All true but I haven’t called him a hack or a loser. I’ve commented on his lack of ability which is there for all to see. As for him being there well that just shows the lack of depth in the ruck and nothing else. I’m hoping he improves but unfortunately he hasn’t as yet and has been in the system a long time. Also the new rule means mids become even more important so we need to get the rucks right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back