Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Arthur Newland allegedly jumped off a ferry, with rocks and pieces of lead in his pockets leaving behind some strange letters and a book. Yeah, that book.
08 Oct 1910 - THE HARBOR SUICIDE. - Evening News (Sydney, NSW) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article117959919

Then it gets decisively weird. Someone using the name Josephine Wilson is found dead in a Melbourne boarding house. Newspaper cutting citing a court case, a man's prescription in the name of Mr Chester, letters from someone named Arthur, and you guessed it, that book again.
04 Oct 1921 - MYSTERIOUS DEATH - The Daily News (Perth, WA) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article81805446
25 Oct 1921 - DEATH OF “JOSEPHINE WILSON.” - The Journal (Adelaide, SA) Her real name is Eva Coster http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208673876
26 Oct 1921 - CASUALTIES. - The Register (Adelaide, SA) name of theatrical company "The Tan and go Tea" mentioned in article http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article63422375
Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So it is a game to you, where winning by keeping score of so called results or maybe financial is the reward? Dude ask the mods if you're not sure if you should copy and paste posts from here onto other blogs somewhere?

I have always linked any other research that I've quoted on here and think some excellent research has been done by many others I particularly liked the Danceline notes and research with the many news paper articles they found with Otis mentioned. You did that?

I haven't heard of many of the details yo're mentioning and as I said with your cryptic comments on matches required me to try to read your mind as it makes no sense without the context of the cigarette and looking at the Inquest affidavits. As you haven't replied to my post on it Did you read them or just rely on a hint by Feltus?

Never heard that the wedge shaped toes where the big toe and little toes meet in the middle could have been caused by "Dystonia of the feet" as that is a totally different result from how the SM's feet were described in the Inquest.
Here's some examples of foot dystonia View attachment 760274View attachment 760275View attachment 760277

The striped duds that Sprapps described may have had such a minor strip in that isn't noticeable to the naked eye? Did they match the double breasted coat jacket that was on display? Was he taken away, cleaned up and returned with new brown trousers. Would explain being posoned by digitalis which is the most likely except there was no vomiting. Well done.

The Tamam Shud paper that was found and photographed on the day after he was found? Same day as the writings found on the deceased?

I'm curious why you haven't answered any of my more major problems I've asked you about that existed with the Coroners Inquest?
There is quite some difference between a Professor of Neurology's opinion on what was an accurate description of the Somerton Man's feet and yours. BlueE, unless of course you hold some degree qualifications in neurology yourself, other the Google, which I doubt. Nevertheless you are entitled to your opinion. I've known the Professor for 25 years and he treats a member of my family for a dystonia related condition.
Now, what was that scenario of yours again, the one where the man in striped trousers gets up, walks away, throws up all over himself, finds a place to get cleaned up and change his clothes then comes back to the same spot lies down and dies.
Seriously?

Gordon, do you still hold with the theory that the Somerton Man was Pavel Fedosimov (pictured)
1570492252903.png
1570492252903.png

There is quite some difference between a Professor of Neurology's opinion on what was an accurate description of the Somerton Man's feet and yours. BlueE, unless of course you hold some degree qualifications in neurology yourself, other the Google, which I doubt. Nevertheless you are entitled to your opinion. I've known the Professor for 25 years and he treats a member of my family for a dystonia related condition.
Now, what was that scenario of yours again, the one where the man in striped trousers gets up, walks away, throws up all over himself, finds a place to get cleaned up and change his clothes then comes back to the same spot lies down and dies.
Seriously?
Not making any aspersions on the Professors opinion if he was shown a picture of SM's feet or given the written description of the feet from the Coroners report. Was he?

I do find it interesting that the captain of "loose lips sink ships" Mr Lawson changed his mind to fit in with Professor Abbot's idea of what the feet looked like, completely contradicting his sworn statement to the Inquest in 1949.

According to South Australian Police, The book by Omar Khayyam has become known to police as "the suicide's handbook."
Which probably explains their cognitive bias.

26 Feb 1951 - Clue to identity sought in hotel - News (Adelaide, SA) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article130362134
Or looking at Gordon's interesting comments that it actually was connected with unusual deaths connected to spying and codes that were better off called suicides at the time.

This one is a stretch, but it happened in early September 1948...

44 Persons Missing in Circus Ship Sunk in Caribbean With Animals; CIRCUS LOST AT SEA; 44 PERSONS MISSING https://nyti.ms/1GZSVmd

Like the "Life of Pi" movie?

Can't read it, do you have a copy of the article?

Couple of things that might be of interest, Jestyn's grandson whose Mother was born after SM's time, has the same ear type as SM so it would appear that it is a family thing. When Clive Turner conducted an interview with Paul Lawson he specifically mentioned that Jestyn had taken Robyn to the UK for expensive and extensive dental treatment, that would influence any thinking regarding the missing teeth issue. I have pics of the grandson's profile if there of any interest.

that's an interesting thought re Arthur, not heard of him before.
Very interesting that Jessica Harkness had gone to England for the dental treatment. Makes me wonder if she had family there or spent time there in her early 20's, otherwise going there seems strange.

The photo Prof Abbott has of Robyn's teeth clearly show the canines next to the two front teeth with the number 2's incisors missing, the same as SM.

My thought when looking at that photo was that he may have had other teeth missing similar to the SM. Not noticeable when smiling.

That's an interesting find. The shoes that SM was wearing were quite new according to Det Sgt Leane, 'Oxford Brogue' was the style. Some years back I traced the number found in the shoe to John Lobb and Co in the UK, an upmarket bespoke shoemaker. Mr. Lobb told me that yes, it was one of their numbers but it belonged to a pair of riding boots and he dismissed the photograph I had forwarded to him of SMs shoes as not being from them. The brogue pattern apparently came about as a means to get rid of bits and scraps of leftover leather, smart thinking. Similar shoes were sold by Foys, the manufacturer was J McKeown. It may be that Harkness shoes were also sold via the major retailers or perhaps by one of many catalogue companies that existed in those times?
This might pique your interest. Look who's the Australian distributor, Mr B Harkness, of Harkness shoes.
28 Oct 1951 - ROYAL COBBLER SEEKS IDEAS - The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW.) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article248990139

And yes, Harkness made Brogues, Riding boots, dancing shoes. And they were sold in shoe stores, from Perth to Brisbane and every shop in between.
06 Jun 1940 - Advertising - The Herald (Melbourne, Vic.) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article243225729

Gordon, do you still hold with the theory that the Somerton Man was Pavel Fedosimov (pictured)
View attachment 760511
View attachment 760511
A fair question, if anything my view has been reinforced somewhat given Vassiliev's notes where specifically named Fedosimov as being suspected by the Russians of being about to betray the Mother country. His name appears on the Pobeda passenger list on 31st July 1948 but that list as opposed to others at the time, was not signed off or certificated by US customs officials. Fedosimov's wife Vera was not listed amongst the passengers which seems a little odd. Fast forward to the 1st September 1948 and the Pobeda is nearing the end of its long journey to Odesa on the Black sea when just a few hours out from their destination there was an explosion on board, 40 passengers and 2 crew were killed. Amongst the dead passengers was a high profile one time deputy to Chiang Kai Shek and his family. Stalin was furious and blamed American spies for the explosion. To date, I have not been able to track down a list of victims or survivors from that fatal trip of the Pobeda.

For those interested, the image above is from the original photograph which I was able to obtain from a Photo site a few years ago. The markings you see on the pic are in fact shiny varnish that used to be applied to preserve photographs. Fedosimov was first thought to be SM by John Ruffels when he read a book called the Atom Spies. In it a meeting was described between Harry Gold, Russian atom Spy and handler for Klaus Fuchs, and a big man with large hands who walked on his toes. Interestingly the book The Atom SPies was specifically mentioned by Senator Cavanaugh in his speech to the senate complaining about Australia being used as a dumping ground for dead spies.After the book was published, Harry Gold in an interview was shown a photograph of Fedosimov and identified him as the man he met at the Earl Theater in the Bronx some years before. Harry thought that the man was over 6 feet tall possibly 6'4" which would make him taller than SM. However, (SM was measured on the slab sometime after death as being 5' 11" tall), during such a period, the skin shrinks and it is likely that SM on the slab was more like 6' tall. Now you need to consider how tall would he have been standing up, if you stand up straight and stretch to your full height, you can add as much as 1.5 " to your height but let's say 1", now we have SM at 6' 1" tall. Now put a decent pair of shoes on him and add another 1". He now stands at around 6'2" tall. For this next step you need to put yourself in Harry Golds shoes, Harry was not a tall man, around 5'3", he is standing in a dimly lit upstairs foyer of a probably smoky cinema and striding towards him, walking on his toes is a big man possibly wearing a hat. How tall is he now? So, it's a matter of putting yourself in that place and time to gain an understanding of how people remember 'short' meetings with others.

You can find all of Vassiliev's Notebooks here, a free download: https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/collection/86/vassiliev-notebooks. Read the concordance first and work through them would be my advice.

This might pique your interest. Look who's the Australian distributor, Mr B Harkness, of Harkness shoes.
28 Oct 1951 - ROYAL COBBLER SEEKS IDEAS - The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW.) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article248990139

And yes, Harkness made Brogues, Riding boots, dancing shoes. And they were sold in shoe stores, from Perth to Brisbane and every shop in between.
06 Jun 1940 - Advertising - The Herald (Melbourne, Vic.) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article243225729

What a great find!

Early clients included Ballet Russes and famous dancers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayne_(shoe_company)

That's a good summation of the Marshall case. When I first looked at the case some years back, like you, I was struck by the book being found open on his chest. A little background, I learned to sail on Sydney Harbour years ago and Taylor's Bay was well known for sudden 'knocks' that could put you on your side in seconds. So it was with some surprise that I read about this Rubaiyat being found open and showing a particular page with the verse you mention being marked with a pencil. I at one time had a copy of the image of that page and hearing of the fabled Methuen 7th edition being a false imprint, I followed it up and found a download of the inquest and the various statements. Some things I think you will find interesting:

1. The Rubaiyat was opened but face down on the man's chest and the page numbers were 52 and 53
2. The pages were described by Detective Sergeant Hargrave as being 'weather-beaten'
3. On the open pages, Verse 23 had been marked with pencil
4. A newspaper dated 20th May 1945 was found spread out beneath him
5. Amongst other things, there was a peculiarly shaped drinking glass found with the body (This later proved to be pivotal in identifying the body)

Here's a couple of links to my Drive to 2 PDFs One is for the inquest document and the other is a Missing person notification in the NSW Police Gazette which mentions an 'Andrew Blair of 22 Wilde Street Potts Point' as the person reporting George as missing, he was George's landlord who also made a statement in the inquest document.

One last point, amongst the Somerton Man and related documents, was found an acrostic code name 'DANETTA'. A letter was found with the body of a Tibor Kaldor who himself was found dead in a Hindley Street Hotel 2 weeks to the day after the discovery of SM's body. Working with Clive Turner, I decided to put the contents of the letter through an acrostic decoder and that name along with another interesting phrase popped out. The same name was found hidden acrostically in Alf Boxalls Verse 70, on the SM Code page, in the Tudor Gold Watch advert placed we think by Prosper and now, thanks to your post here, it is also found in acrostic code within Verse 23 of the Rubaiyat associated with George Marshall. You can see the decode method here: https://tamamshud.blogspot.com/2019/10/somerton-man-danetta-code-george.html

I meant to upload this earlier, it's a partial copy of Methuen's 7th Edition of the Rubaiyat. Note that Verse 23 does appear on page 52 as per the inquest documents.

Attachments

• Methuen7th_fin.pdf
    417.6 KB · Views: 29

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a good summation of the Marshall case. When I first looked at the case some years back, like you, I was struck by the book being found open on his chest. A little background, I learned to sail on Sydney Harbour years ago and Taylor's Bay was well known for sudden 'knocks' that could put you on your side in seconds. So it was with some surprise that I read about this Rubaiyat being found open and showing a particular page with the verse you mention being marked with a pencil. I at one time had a copy of the image of that page and hearing of the fabled Methuen 7th edition being a false imprint, I followed it up and found a download of the inquest and the various statements. Some things I think you will find interesting:

1. The Rubaiyat was opened but face down on the man's chest and the page numbers were 52 and 53
2. The pages were described by Detective Sergeant Hargrave as being 'weather-beaten'
3. On the open pages, Verse 23 had been marked with pencil
4. A newspaper dated 20th May 1945 was found spread out beneath him
5. Amongst other things, there was a peculiarly shaped drinking glass found with the body (This later proved to be pivotal in identifying the body)

Here's a couple of links to my Drive to 2 PDFs One is for the inquest document and the other is a Missing person notification in the NSW Police Gazette which mentions an 'Andrew Blair of 22 Wilde Street Potts Point' as the person reporting George as missing, he was George's landlord who also made a statement in the inquest document.

One last point, amongst the Somerton Man and related documents, was found an acrostic code name 'DANETTA'. A letter was found with the body of a Tibor Kaldor who himself was found dead in a Hindley Street Hotel 2 weeks to the day after the discovery of SM's body. Working with Clive Turner, I decided to put the contents of the letter through an acrostic decoder and that name along with another interesting phrase popped out. The same name was found hidden acrostically in Alf Boxalls Verse 70, on the SM Code page, in the Tudor Gold Watch advert placed we think by Prosper and now, thanks to your post here, it is also found in acrostic code within Verse 23 of the Rubaiyat associated with George Marshall. You can see the decode method here: https://tamamshud.blogspot.com/2019/10/somerton-man-danetta-code-george.html

Thanks it would be interesting to hear more about your acrostic code name DANETTA and perhaps shellyg would be possible to open a new thread for "Rubyiats, Codes and Spies"? or similar to transfer the research investigating spies on here and other Rubaiyat's connected to different deaths?

I didn't realise the Rubaiyat was found weather beaten but would have been almost impossible to still be on the body following weeks of strong winds and rain. A thought occurred that it may have been in the tobacco tin they said had a piece of paper in it, and it looks to be about the same size as the photocopies of the Rubaiyat.

However another similarity to the SM case struck me in the Inquest notes was that he had his head and shoulders propped up on a rock, looking out over the water overlooking Taylor's Bay Sydney. His feet facing due East and SM in exactly the same position overlooking the ocean at Glenelg Beach, but his feet facing due West.

You might find it interesting Redacted the blog talks about your Jewish terrorist Manacham Began. Also Cyprus born Manahem Mirmovitch who went missing, believed KIA with 2/11 AIF on May 12th 1945, just days before his business partner Joseph Saul Haim Marshall, disappeared from his lodgings at Potts Point, Sydney.

Not so much a suicide but perhaps? It meant their valuable co-owned properties in Singapore were applied in repatriation from the Japanese to the Marshall family, but there's more to that story than what was reported!

Same with the appearance of matches, Feltus only hinted, I brought it to the fore.

And I do like to keep score.
So after reading the Inquest statements mentioning the matches what was your conclusion?

Why do you think Feltus was pointing this out?

Records of teeth and teeth placement would have been very important identifying features in 1948, along with fingerprints. The point was also made at the Inquest statements that even though SM had a large number of teeth missing, this was natural for him and there were no noticeable gaps in his teeth when he smiled. It was specifically mentioned that he didn't wear a plate.

I'm curious then why you would ignore or misrepresent these sworn facts and say he did? Isn't this making fiction?

No. He found he couldn't say where the man died and I don't think that would have changed. That takes different scenarios into account.

All it says to me is that he's possibly had his trousers changed or what Strapps described (brown with a stripe) wasn't that different to the plain brown (could have had a light stripe). If he had his trousers changed what Strapps described could have been the same fabric and his double breasted jacket. Still just says to me someone has taken him away and returned him cleaned up in similar but different strides.

Wouldn't have changed what the coroner said though.

"Same with the appearance of matches, Feltus only hinted, I brought it to the fore."

Now I understand what you were trying to get at with the matches. Feltus is hinting who's lying and who's telling the truth in the sworn statements and why?

What conclusion did you come to?
Bluey, I've had my stuff pulled apart by experts for years, and for better or worse, but I did learn one lesson about building a hypotheses - count the IFs;

This is how I read your response :

IF he's possibly had his trousers changed or IF what Strapps described (brown with a stripe) wasn't that different to the plain brown (IF it was a light stripe). IF he had his trousers changed, what Strapps described could have been the same fabric and his double breasted jacket.

Four IFs is out old mate, sorry.

This is how Feltus worded it:

‘It was later established that the following items were found with the stranger: a handkerchief*, a pair of underpants (jockey type)**, a singlet**, train ticket, a bus ticket, a part packet of chewing gum (Juicy Fruit), two* combs, a box of Bryant and May matches (quarter full)* and an Army Club Cigarette Packet, containing seven cigarettes of another brand (
* was not on Moss’ list of items found on the body
** possibly refers to what the body was wearing, but why no cardigan, tie, shoes or socks ?

I might be wrong, but I get the notion you have not been able to get your hands on a copy of Feltus' The Unknown Man.

Last edited:
So after reading the Inquest statements mentioning the matches what was your conclusion?

Why do you think Feltus was pointing this out?

Records of teeth and teeth placement would have been very important identifying features in 1948, along with fingerprints. The point was also made at the Inquest statements that even though SM had a large number of teeth missing, this was natural for him and there were no noticeable gaps in his teeth when he smiled. It was specifically mentioned that he didn't wear a plate.

I'm curious then why you would ignore or misrepresent these sworn facts and say he did? Isn't this making fiction?
Outstanding questions, thanks.

Matches.
Moss didn't list them as being found on the body.(Deposition)
Leane didn't list them when he itemised the contents of the suitcase. (Feltus)
Feltus was very circumspect about the additional items that were found with the body, his hint is the phrase 'it was later established.' That, to me, indicates Feltus wasn't the one who established it.

Conclusions are (1) the matches were planted (2) the evidence was otherwise contaminated, police evidence lockups being as they were.

Teeth. Cleland found no sign of grooves in his teeth, false choppers in those days were braced with metal and left marks.

Last edited:
A fair question, if anything my view has been reinforced somewhat given Vassiliev's notes where specifically named Fedosimov as being suspected by the Russians of being about to betray the Mother country. His name appears on the Pobeda passenger list on 31st July 1948 but that list as opposed to others at the time, was not signed off or certificated by US customs officials. Fedosimov's wife Vera was not listed amongst the passengers which seems a little odd. Fast forward to the 1st September 1948 and the Pobeda is nearing the end of its long journey to Odesa on the Black sea when just a few hours out from their destination there was an explosion on board, 40 passengers and 2 crew were killed. Amongst the dead passengers was a high profile one time deputy to Chiang Kai Shek and his family. Stalin was furious and blamed American spies for the explosion. To date, I have not been able to track down a list of victims or survivors from that fatal trip of the Pobeda.

For those interested, the image above is from the original photograph which I was able to obtain from a Photo site a few years ago. The markings you see on the pic are in fact shiny varnish that used to be applied to preserve photographs. Fedosimov was first thought to be SM by John Ruffels when he read a book called the Atom Spies. In it a meeting was described between Harry Gold, Russian atom Spy and handler for Klaus Fuchs, and a big man with large hands who walked on his toes. Interestingly the book The Atom SPies was specifically mentioned by Senator Cavanaugh in his speech to the senate complaining about Australia being used as a dumping ground for dead spies.After the book was published, Harry Gold in an interview was shown a photograph of Fedosimov and identified him as the man he met at the Earl Theater in the Bronx some years before. Harry thought that the man was over 6 feet tall possibly 6'4" which would make him taller than SM. However, (SM was measured on the slab sometime after death as being 5' 11" tall), during such a period, the skin shrinks and it is likely that SM on the slab was more like 6' tall. Now you need to consider how tall would he have been standing up, if you stand up straight and stretch to your full height, you can add as much as 1.5 " to your height but let's say 1", now we have SM at 6' 1" tall. Now put a decent pair of shoes on him and add another 1". He now stands at around 6'2" tall. For this next step you need to put yourself in Harry Golds shoes, Harry was not a tall man, around 5'3", he is standing in a dimly lit upstairs foyer of a probably smoky cinema and striding towards him, walking on his toes is a big man possibly wearing a hat. How tall is he now? So, it's a matter of putting yourself in that place and time to gain an understanding of how people remember 'short' meetings with others.

You can find all of Vassiliev's Notebooks here, a free download: https://digitalarchive.wilsoncenter.org/collection/86/vassiliev-notebooks. Read the concordance first and work through them would be my advice.
Here's the file on Emil Julius Klaus FUCHS. It's too big for me to upload here.

How do reconcile Fedosimov's saddle nose with SM's Roman?

Last edited:
How

How do reconcile Fedosimov's saddle nose with SM's Roman?
Well Pete, as you have seen before, what you see across Fedosimov's nose is a shadow. And quite frankly I am not going to get dragged into one of your 'checkmate' situations. You're on your own Pete, just maybe you'll be getting one of those 'well-deserved smackdowns' as I think you once described it.

Hi, this is the file I referred to here:

Well Pete, as you have seen before, what you see across Fedosimov's nose is a shadow. And quite frankly I am not going to get dragged into one of your 'checkmate' situations. You're on your own Pete, just maybe you'll be getting one of those 'well-deserved smackdowns' as I think you once described it.
That’s hardly an answer, old friend.

Hi, this is the file I referred to here:
First one is the British File on Fuchs.
Later one is the American File on Fuchs handler. They'll overlap somewhat. And it's a big rabbit hole.

That’s hardly an answer, old friend.
Well, it's the answer you are getting Pete and you've had it before. I am not going to waste any more time on baiting and phishing comments. If you have a sensible well thought out question then go ahead and ask it. If not, then I respectfully suggest you look elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back