Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

This man's body was found in a cotton bag ten years ago on the banks of the Tweed river. His image was created with technology from Scotland which has a 50% success rate of identification, so far. There's no mention here of using his DNA. Maybe they will try this first as they did with Somerton Man.

I don't know what his name is but I saw someone very similar a few times up around Lismore/Nimbin about 11 or 12 years ago, he had a huge backpack with pots and pans, so a homeless lifer I thought at the time. He had a long grey ponytail.

The police have probably already received calls about it I'd think.

View attachment 1195690

".....Whether it was misfortune, whether it was suspicious, we don't know....."

Really? I'm no expert, but I would think a 'body found in a bag' on the banks of a river would be a pretty clear indication of some thing suspicious!
Unless they have omitted to say it was a sleeping bag.

".....Whether it was misfortune, whether it was suspicious, we don't know....."

Really? I'm no expert, but I would think a 'body found in a bag' on the banks of a river would be a pretty clear indication of some thing suspicious!
Unless they have omitted to say it was a sleeping bag.

His gear should have been with him if it was the man I saw and the police should have been able to identify him I think. Agree, it looks real suspicious.

I used to casually watch him trekking up the road, then I'd spot him again in the car 40kms away from the last spot I saw him in and I'd wonder what happened in his life, what he thought about all day. Just walking from one camp to the next with his house on his back.

Probably not him anyway but will keep an eye out for an outcome of this appeal.

This man's body was found in a cotton bag ten years ago on the banks of the Tweed river. His image was created with technology from Scotland which has a 50% success rate of identification, so far. There's no mention here of using his DNA. Maybe they will try this first as they did with Somerton Man.

I don't know what his name is but I saw someone very similar a few times up around Lismore/Nimbin about 11 or 12 years ago, he had a huge backpack with pots and pans, so a homeless lifer I thought at the time. He had a long grey ponytail.

The police have probably already received calls about it I'd think.

View attachment 1195690

Hmm. They made him look like my dad. It must be the Scottish technology that did that. My dad is alive in Tasmania BTW and has no brothers. His only living relatives are in Scotland.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Adelaide media was in touch with SAPOL, the AFP and Forensic Science SA last week to seek an update on where they are at post-exhumation. However, authorities are apparently being very tight lipped and not even disclosing the methodology of DNA testing being undertaken. The media is now settling in for a long wait to get any updates....

Adelaide media was in touch with SAPOL, the AFP and Forensic Science SA last week to seek an update on where they are at post-exhumation. However, authorities are apparently being very tight lipped and not even disclosing the methodology of DNA testing being undertaken. The media is now settling in for a long wait to get any updates....
There probably won't be any media release until they either notify living relatives or the Hunt for living relatives is exhausted, or worst case scenario the forensics testing fails to produce anything that they can use to find living relatives. It would probably be likely that the coroner inquest would be reoppened to close the case once they're at either of those junctures I'd imagine. At that point we will learn the methodologies employed, the results of the various tests, maybe more precise cause of death and possibly who he is, or at least where isotope tests say he grew up. I don't expect any revelations soon.

Was his name David Smith?

No - Roger Todd -
.....'A man has come forward for the first time, claiming to have seen the Somerton Man’s dead body on the beach more than 70 years ago when he was just a child.....Rural Victorian resident Rodger Todd has been sharing the incredible tale with family and close friends for decades, but has never gone public.
That was, until a friend of the 84-year-old dobbed him into the media.'....

I found this podcast and there's info in there I hadn't heard before, did anybody else know he had a packet of cigarettes in his pocket but that the cigarettes were mixed brand? And that there was a cigarette butt on his collar, as if he died or fell asleep before he finished smoking it?

There's more ..

I found this podcast and there's info in there I hadn't heard before, did anybody else know he had a packet of cigarettes in his pocket but that the cigarettes were mixed brand? And that there was a cigarette butt on his collar, as if he died or fell asleep before he finished smoking it?

There's more ..

Yes, I think the easiest explanation is that another passenger on the train that brought SM to Adelaide, ran out of smokes, and SM shared his, and then upon arrival in Adelaide, that person made good the number of smokes that he had bummed on the train, hence why there were a few cigarettes in SM's packet of a different brand.
No one came forward though, and given how long ago it was, it's not likely that any witnesses are alive to confirm

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABC is covering this tonight on Australian Story.
Yeah I just saw it, I hadn't realised where the nurses house was located.
On Mosely street Glenelg South, have driven past there a million times.

If the Beaumont Children were on foot going home, they may have passed this home!
Certainly its a busy road

did they really suggest the nurse may have done away with the somerton man?

Mr Gordon Cramer reports on his blog that PAUL FRANCIS LAWSON had passed away last Thursday.

He's the bloke who made the plaster cast of the Somerton Man corpse. Probably the last person alive who'd actually handled the actual cadaver, before he was buried, until now.

Last edited:
How/where did you get mitochondrial from?
Hairs embedded in the original plaster cast retrieved and kept by Paul Lawson
Only Mt DNA was able to be extracted

This was back in 2015-6

Last edited:
Besides Somerton Man, over 500 unidentified human remains are awaiting identification in Australia, and here's an article detailing how police will be trying to identify them.View attachment ACWAP Pages 24-25.pdf

fafa5de39732f0bdd1c2a4e33068f3aa.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back