Unsolved Taman Shud Case

(Log in to remove this ad.)

peteb

Debutant
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Queer message might be the key.
The masking book might be the Rubyiat itself.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk
This was the key Leo Marks used

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours.
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause.
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This was the key Leo Marks used

The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours.
The love that I have
Of the life that I have
Is yours and yours and yours.
A sleep I shall have
A rest I shall have
Yet death will be but a pause.
For the peace of my years
In the long green grass
Will be yours and yours and yours.
Just about everything that I could come up with has been done already I note

It could just as easily be a doodle.
First letters of each town his train stopped at or passed through, or acronyms eg: in my work ML = Military Leave
ABO could be Authorised by Office or O could be a name, or it could be an acronym for a place.
Goa intrigues me. Goa is a former Portuguese colony in India. Goa would've been a good spot to spy upon British interests during the war. A Portuguese speaker would go unnoticed. Brazil and Mozambique are also Portuguese speaking. Argentina is Spanish but Spanish and Portuguese is similar. It would be possible for an Argentinian to be fluent in Portuguese. There were a lot of Nazi sympathisers in Argentina. Hemblys-Scales and his wife had Argentinean and Brazilian connections. Indeed Hemblys-Scales retired to Brazil and then moved to Argentina. Maybe the code isn't in English?

Last edited:

Mycroft

Debutant
Apr 5, 2016
Panama
I just reviewed the official report. Apparently the clandestine harvesting of human tissue sampling didn't officially begin until 1957
It was officially wound up in 1973, presumably because new technologies for the detection of nuclear events, like the Vela satellite system, had become available and were much more effective and timely.

View attachment 733280

I read of the appalling treatment towards those affected by the fallout in author Frank Walker's book, "Maralinga"...Men used as guinea pigs and studied while they slowly died, and Doctors signed binding Govt. agreements to ensure they'd never tell. It seemed everyone was in on it. Our leaders knew and complicit. In one instance, a mother, grieving her child's death, was stopped from dressing the body for burial, then made to feel 'crazy' for asking. They didn't want the mother to see they'd harvested the child's legs to acquire the bones for testing (without consent). If nothing else SM's legacy might be, that it has people delving into records and examining past cover-ups.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I've had a go at the top half, but I don't think it's much good. I'm not sure if it's even in english, but I think that it's not a code, but a bunch of acronyms or short hand, and just went from there. Maybe it'll help someone else to discern what these doodles are about

Last edited:

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Last edited:

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The Strontium in the Somerton Man has me intrigued. Does anyone know more about this? Actual levels? Possible causes? Estimated date of exposure?
Go to 1940's» https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_nuclear_accidents
I found a document that could be useful, however the possible ID of Somerton Man appears to be probable amongst unnamed individuals who weren't followed up.View attachment 735491

Uranium prospector, miner or processor?

peteb

Debutant
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Uranium prospector, miner or processor?

Courtesy Byron Deveson
I have just seen updated mass spectroscopy (MS) data for Somerton Man’s hair. The results show many anomalies and throw up many more questions than they answer at present. There are many leads to follow and I am sure that SM’s occupation and/or hobbies, and the localities where he spent the last two weeks of his life, will become clear when the MS data are fully evaluated. At present there is just too much to check and digest but there are two matters that seem to be straightforward enough to warrant immediate comment.
First, SM’s hair contains what could be regarded as normal levels of the nuclear associated elements uranium 238, thorium 232 and lithium 7. I know that U238 isn’t the primary isotope used in fission weapons but it would generally serve as a marker for exposure to un-enriched uranium such as uranium mining and ore processing, transport and enrichment. The same applies for Thorium 232 and lithium 7. It does not preclude the possibility that SM was involved in other nuclear related matters because these do not involve ingestion/exposure to significant amounts of uranium etc. I will suggest to DA that uranium 235 MS data should be extracted and maybe the other lithium and thorium isotope data should be extracted as well.
Second, SM’s hair contains abnormally high concentrations of both silver and gold. In general SM’s hair contains elevated concentrations of many elements, particularly metals that are associated with ore deposits of base metals such as lead, zinc and copper, and this suggests that SM might have been an extractive metallurgist – a metallurgist involved in extracting metals from ores, or a chemist working at an ore processing facility.
Note:
Zinc is the third most used non-ferrous metal after aluminium and copper. About 50% of production is used for galvanising steel to protect it from rust. Zinc compounds and dusts are used in cosmetics, plastics, rubber, ointments, sun screen creams, soaps, paints, ink, fertilisers and batteries. Around 30% of zinc used in the western world comes from recycling.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Here's another list of names to check. There's about a dozen names missing though. I wonder whether any of these Australian servicemen were repatriated to Hospitals in Australia? The timeline might not fit for fathering a child though. But then again Somerton Man might not be the father of Jessica's baby, but an uncle or grandfather for all we know.

19 Sep 1945 - POW's REMARKABLE ESCAPES IN NAGASAKI - The Argus (Melbourne, Vic) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article972178 via @TroveAustralia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Courtesy Byron Deveson
I have just seen updated mass spectroscopy (MS) data for Somerton Man’s hair. The results show many anomalies and throw up many more questions than they answer at present. There are many leads to follow and I am sure that SM’s occupation and/or hobbies, and the localities where he spent the last two weeks of his life, will become clear when the MS data are fully evaluated. At present there is just too much to check and digest but there are two matters that seem to be straightforward enough to warrant immediate comment.
First, SM’s hair contains what could be regarded as normal levels of the nuclear associated elements uranium 238, thorium 232 and lithium 7. I know that U238 isn’t the primary isotope used in fission weapons but it would generally serve as a marker for exposure to un-enriched uranium such as uranium mining and ore processing, transport and enrichment. The same applies for Thorium 232 and lithium 7. It does not preclude the possibility that SM was involved in other nuclear related matters because these do not involve ingestion/exposure to significant amounts of uranium etc. I will suggest to DA that uranium 235 MS data should be extracted and maybe the other lithium and thorium isotope data should be extracted as well.
Second, SM’s hair contains abnormally high concentrations of both silver and gold. In general SM’s hair contains elevated concentrations of many elements, particularly metals that are associated with ore deposits of base metals such as lead, zinc and copper, and this suggests that SM might have been an extractive metallurgist – a metallurgist involved in extracting metals from ores, or a chemist working at an ore processing facility.
Note:
Zinc is the third most used non-ferrous metal after aluminium and copper. About 50% of production is used for galvanising steel to protect it from rust. Zinc compounds and dusts are used in cosmetics, plastics, rubber, ointments, sun screen creams, soaps, paints, ink, fertilisers and batteries. Around 30% of zinc used in the western world comes from recycling.
Do we have the exact percentages?
If so, I can narrow down the type of mineralisation likely to show where he's been.
I'm thinking of Gawler Ranges at present.
It would make sense of the "Mt Sam" part of the notation in the back of the Rubaiyat.
Although SM being from Broken Hill shouldn't be out of the question. A lot of people from Broken Hill were co-opted to work on Mt Painter in the Flinders Range.

There's plenty of geological data on the South Australian statedevelopment website. For instance: http://www.minerals.statedevelopment.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/271911/Uranium_Map_A0_size_204086-001.pdf
And geoscience Australia

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Does anyone know if the old Adits of the Mines at Glen Osmond were used by the Defence Dept during WW2 and after afterwards, before housing development in the area?

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Do we have the exact percentages?
If so, I can narrow down the type of mineralisation likely to show where he's been.
I'm thinking of Gawler Ranges at present.
It would make sense of the "Mt Sam" part of the notation in the back of the Rubaiyat.
Although SM being from Broken Hill shouldn't be out of the question. A lot of people from Broken Hill were co-opted to work on Mt Painter in the Flinders Range.

There's plenty of geological data on the South Australian statedevelopment website. For instance: http://www.minerals.statedevelopment.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/271911/Uranium_Map_A0_size_204086-001.pdf
And geoscience Australia

For library researchers here's some resources if SM's hair analysis points to him being anywhere near a minesite before he was found deceased

Reynolds, John., Men and Mines: A History of Australian Mining 1788-1971, Sun Books, Melbourne, 1974.

Ward, L. K., 'The mineral resources of South Australia and their utilization', in Handbook of South Australia. Adelaide, Government Printer, 1946, pp. 68–77.

Ward, L.K., 'Non-metallic minerals of South Australia: Part 2', in Chemical Engineering and Mining Review, Melbourne 10 May 1948, pp. 293–98.

Reynolds, Wayne, ‘Rethinking the Joint Project: Australia’s Bid for Nuclear Weapons, 1945-1960’, The Historical Journal, vol. 41, 1998, pp. 853-873.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Does anyone know if the old Adits of the Mines at Glen Osmond were used by the Defence Dept during WW2 and after afterwards, before housing development in the area?

There's some detail about the Woodley Winery who used one of the mines as a wine cellar here. Mentions names of some of the people living at the winery preceding the death of Somerton Man.

Could SM of visited that wine cellar before he travelled to Somerton?View attachment OH692_140.pdfView attachment The-Glen-Osmond-silver-lead-mines-South-Australia-by-Ross-A-Both-and-Greg-J-Drew.pdf

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Record at NAA of a Thomas Ambrose Keane of 19 Abington St, South Brisbane opened in 1945 is not available due to National Security concerns

A couple of pages were released of Thomas Keane's ASIO file. It shows that he was a member of the Eureka Youth League when the file was opened in 1945 by the Commonwealth Investigation Branch. It also shows that someone requested a report on his activities and whereabouts in 1950, however who and why are redacted out. It also shows that the file was closed in 1953, however it appears that the reason for the file being closed is redacted. There's only enough room in the blacked out area to write something like "Found Deceased" or such like.
What is available doesn't say how old he is, or what sort of position he held in the EYL.
The reasons that are stated for not releasing the rest of the file are much more interesting though.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
A couple of pages were released of Thomas Keane's ASIO file. It shows that he was a member of the Eureka Youth League when the file was opened in 1945 by the Commonwealth Investigation Branch. It also shows that someone requested a report on his activities and whereabouts in 1950, however who and why are redacted out. It also shows that the file was closed in 1953, however it appears that the reason for the file being closed is redacted. There's only enough room in the blacked out area to write something like "Found Deceased" or such like.
What is available doesn't say how old he is, or what sort of position he held in the EYL.
The reasons that are stated for not releasing the rest of the file are much more interesting though.

Eureka Youth League amongst it's activities performed ballet!
They would've needed a coach and someone to make their shoes, presumably.

View attachment eureka.pdf

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Eureka Youth League amongst it's activities performed ballet!
They would've needed a coach and someone to make their shoes, presumably.

View attachment 737326

Unfortunately all the Queensland files on the Eureka youth League from 1942 up-to 1949 have been restricted due to:
33(1)(a) - would damage Australia's security, defence or international relations;
33(1)(d) - would be a breach of confidence;
33(1)(g) - would unreasonably disclose information about the personal affairs of a person;

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Record at NAA of a Thomas Ambrose Keane of 19 Abington St, South Brisbane opened in 1945 is not available due to National Security concerns

I can't find a Abington St in South Brisbane.
There's a Abingdon St in Woolloongabba
There's one in Spring Mountain, but it wasn't there in 1945, and Spring Mountain isn't South Brisbane neither.

Fake address?

Is this a file of a UCO?

Last edited:

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I can't find a Abington St in South Brisbane.
There's a Abingdon St in Woolloongabba
There's one in Spring Mountain, but it wasn't there in 1945, and Spring Mountain isn't South Brisbane neither.

Fake address?

Is this a file of a UCO?

In 1944 someone was selling a complete set of high school commercial books from 19 Abington St, South Brisbane.
So it seems that South Brisbane / West Gabba / Wooloongabba is the same.
But no sign of Mr Keane.

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
In 1944 someone was selling a complete set of high school commercial books from 19 Abington St, South Brisbane.
So it seems that South Brisbane / West Gabba / Wooloongabba is the same.
But no sign of Mr Keane.

A search of Trove using "19 Abingdon st" limiting the search to Newspapers, and the state to Queensland produces interesting results.
There's a lot of stuff being sold off in the 40's (no names mentioned). Then an advert in 1950 which gives the name "Bryce" as the seller. Did the property change hands? Was it a rental? A new tenant in 1950, hence the difference in adverts? Where did Thomas Ambrose Keane go?

petedavo

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Another? Thomas Ambrose Keane, born 1910, residing with an Aunt at 2 Speight St Newport, and working at Newport Workshops Victoria joined the Army Cadets in 1923.
http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/AutoSearch.asp?O=I&Number=30986094
Check the handwriting at the top of the form against the clothing label to confirm any difference. However it might not be Thomas that filled in the form.

No 2 Speight St Newport, as it looks today. (Not much difference to the 1920's, except for the car port)

Last edited:

Mycroft

Debutant
Apr 5, 2016
Panama
I'm very interested in what he told you about the man?
I want to thank you for defending the witnesses BlueE. I haven't forgotten that you asked about what my father told me, however I've been checking other forums like Justice Tribunal and Beaumont meanwhile and it's done my head in a bit. It's hard to be succinct when it comes to 'what I was told' re-SM, but maybe I'll be able to break it down to something more simple later. I'll get back later...and once again...Thanks!.

Top Bottom