Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know, if they found any injection marks of some kind from a needle?

In my head, I always thought he was stabbed with a needle or drank/ate something given to him, his cigarettes was switched, or he administered the poison himself.

When it comes to cigarettes, my grandfather and grandmother always "made" their own. They bought the filters (not cigarette papers, but normal cigarettes, empty without tobacco, bought the tobacco and made their cigarettes with some kind of machine, gonna find a picture. I'm sorry about my bad English :$

Regarding cigarettes, according to my mother, remembering her own parents/grandparents, it was quite normal (at least in Norway, possibly Europe?), to roll/make your own cigarettes bc it was cheaper. That means you CAN (have the chance to) put other stuff in the cigarettes together with the tobacco. In WWII, they also had a cigarette machine, but with rolling paper. You bought the tobacco and the papers each for themselves and made your own cigarettes. In Europe that was cheaper, from what I´m told. And quite normal.

27920_01.JPG
61IKrdJXlZL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding cigarettes, according to my mother, remembering her own parents/grandparents, it was quite normal (at least in Norway, possibly Europe?), to roll/make your own cigarettes bc it was cheaper. That means you CAN (have the chance to) put other stuff in the cigarettes together with the tobacco. In WWII, they also had a cigarette machine, but with rolling paper. You bought the tobacco and the papers each for themselves and made your own cigarettes. In Europe that was cheaper, from what I´m told. And quite normal.

27920_01.JPG
61IKrdJXlZL._SX425_.jpg

Was it the SM who switched the cigarettes himself because of some reason like "I'm a normal working guy, don't smoke expensive cigarettes" or some other reason. Because it was Army Club cigarettes with more expensive Kensitas cigarettes inside. OR was it someone else who switched his cigarettes? Did anyone (the police) check those cigarettes in the pack they found?

Just asking questions for myself loudly, and you guys.

I dig this forum and this thread.

Last edited:
Kinbru...I think your analysis really interesting and also appropriate for those times.
here's some of my backstory...In 1948 my father lived in Adelaide and was age 19. I wasn't born till 1955, however my memories are of my father constantly searching through a Dictionary and Encyclopedias, using their words and meanings to create his puzzles and stories by way those books. He'd often speak about his past relationship with 'a man'. They'd play board games...'the man' was his mentor / teacher and very skilled, and my father... his apprentice. He said the game was called Ego, because it was all about men's ego's. He'd always end by saying, 'that man's dead now'. Though I was a child and had no idea of what or who he was talking about, I was always told I had to remember what I'd been told, and how important it was. The stories were repetitive, and these grew longer and more complicated over time.
When my memory was later triggered as an adult, I began the process of slowly untangling what my father had told me, and this lead to the rediscovery of an I.D. card in the name of H.C. Reynolds. Thus in June 2010 I sent the I.D. to Prof. Maciej Henneberg Anatomical Science at Adelaide University. After he and his colleagues extensive comparative examination, I was informed that the I.D. photo was a match to the unidentified deceased man found on Somerton Beach in 1948.

Trying to understand what my father told me also lead to the game IGO (GO). My father said his 'mark' was MW representing both his parents names (McIntyre & Wright). I've no idea if what my father told me is true or nonsense though.
The first line of the Code if seen as an announcement of 2 players in a game of GO...does seem to fit his story though, and acts as a calculation of sorts (but done in a way to keep it secret). Thus for Mr. Reynolds (player 2) according to the I.D., born in 1900 and died in 1948 aged 48.
Using a dictionary for even 1978 shows abbreviation for Able Seamen as AB...also A for Age...B for Born...D for Died or Death. The I.D. is a US Dept. of Labour ...Seaman's Identification Card issue to H.C. Reynolds 28th. Feb. 1918...Nationality stated as British. Though we can't be certain the name is correct, the photo at age 18, does match SM. The Code could be similarly made from some of the examples you've demonstrated, and such abbreviations might help explain it. Some things are best kept simple and who knows..you may be on the right track.
The game of GO
And how it's played》

Or look up www dot britgo dot org

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The game of GO
And how it's played》

There's a Japanese version I've seen where they announce historical games and kept records going back centuries. It's possible GO was brought back to Australia by our returned WW2 soldiers. At one time during the 60's, my father was obsessed with historical war battles and tactical manoeuvres and I'd have to listen (very boring. Battle of Hastings was the one he liked best). I've read since that the game can be made about anything you want. In the late 50's I'd see my father playing this game with his friends in our back room. Years later it changed and he'd call the game 'Toy Soldiers', and he'd refer to his friends and associates as 'his pawns or his guards'. It's complicated, but I think he took what he learnt from playing GO, into real life situations and his 'groups'.
I don't know if what he told me re-this man (assuming SM) being his mentor and my father being his apprentice was true, or he's taken it from Freemason mythology. Though I don't believe he was a Freemason's member, his grandfather was at one time head of the Freeman's branch in Adelaide. I've never payed GO, but it seems similar to Chess. Thanks for finding some info. on GO (Redacted). My father also spoke about playing 'Battleships' with this man.
I think you could say I was somewhat brainwashed with my father's stuff as a child, whether his fantasy or otherwise. He did handle cadavers from late 50's on though, and these are matters I did witnessed, but I won't be going into that here (& already reported to police).

There's a Japanese version I've seen where they announce historical games and kept records going back centuries. It's possible GO was brought back to Australia by our returned WW2 soldiers. At one time during the 60's, my father was obsessed with historical war battles and tactical manoeuvres and I'd have to listen (very boring. Battle of Hastings was the one he liked best). I've read since that the game can be made about anything you want. In the late 50's I'd see my father playing this game with his friends in our back room. Years later it changed and he'd call the game 'Toy Soldiers', and he'd refer to his friends and associates as 'his pawns or his guards'. It's complicated, but I think he took what he learnt from playing GO, into real life situations and his 'groups'.
I don't know if what he told me re-this man (assuming SM) being his mentor and my father being his apprentice was true, or he's taken it from Freemason mythology. Though I don't believe he was a Freemason's member, his grandfather was at one time head of the Freeman's branch in Adelaide. I've never payed GO, but it seems similar to Chess. Thanks for finding some info. on GO (Redacted). My father also spoke about playing 'Battleships' with this man.
I think you could say I was somewhat brainwashed with my father's stuff as a child, whether his fantasy or otherwise. He did handle cadavers from late 50's on though, and these are matters I did witnessed, but I won't be going into that here (& already reported to police).
Thanks.
Actually the game of GO is an ancient Chinese board game. It's probably the oldest board game played continuously to the present day. It's interesting that is has a dedicated following in the UK. That's probably introduced to the western world via merchant seaman and British colonies that were in China until ww2 such as Shanghai.
This mysterious gentleman that you think is the Somerton Man had a Mercant Seaman's ID, issued in the USA. Others have postulated that some objects found in the suitcase in the locker at Adelaide train station were items used in marking shipping freight.
It's probably highly likely that this bloke had visited Chinese ports to pick up knowledge of the game of GO.
This leads me to wonder about two crates that had gone missing in China around the time of the Japanese invasion of Peking.

There have been some that postulated that Prosper Thompson might of been a fence for stolen freight from ships.

Did your father ever talk about fossils, or how valuable they could be?
Did he ever mention hominid early ancestors, or have any interest in paleontology or mention this man in relation to saying anything about the missing Davidson Black collection of Peking Man fossils from Dragon Bone Hill in China?

Last edited:
My grandmother lost her teeth. She ate everything still, vegetables, potatoes, meat.... BUT when it came to meat and it was chewy, she had to spit it out after trying to chew for a while. Small pieces of meat though, she "chewed" without teeth and swallowed.

Maybe the SM chewed and spit?

When it comes to potatoes, you can ingest them mashed, in dices, mashed with a fork so on. You can do that with almost all food really, with no teeth or with teeth.

Agree though, with the fact that with more missing teeth, the more difficulty. It's not impossible though, as with my grandmother to learn to eat "normal" without teeth.
With a pasty containing ground meat, it would have been somewhat easier I guess, But meat takes longer to digest and as far as I have read, there is no mention of meat in the stomach contents.

Was it the SM who switched the cigarettes himself because of some reason like "I'm a normal working guy, don't smoke expensive cigarettes" or some other reason. Because it was Army Club cigarettes with more expensive Kensitas cigarettes inside. OR was it someone else who switched his cigarettes? Did anyone (the police) check those cigarettes in the pack they found?

Just asking questions for myself loudly, and you guys.

I dig this forum and this thread.
My understanding of the expensive cigarettes in a cheaper packet is that it was fairly common practice, especially in the services. The idea is that people were more likely to 'bum' a cigarette from you if it was an expensive brand. It's always possible that someone gave the Kensitas to the man and he put them in his existing packet. The police did check the cigarettes in the packet but to my knowledge, they weren't tested for any additional substances. The part smoked cigarette found on the man's collar wasn't compared to the cigarettes in the packet and no documents exist that show whether that one was tested.

Cigarettes.

Can someone humour me, because I'm a nosey parker and want to know whether the deceased was left or right hand dominate.

Which hand had tobacco tar staining to the pointer and middle fingers?

Did he favour smoking cigarettes from a particular side of the mouth? Which teeth were more tobacco stained? Vis a vis Which side of the lips had the most tobacco staining?

Not sure about the nicotine stains but if you look closely at the fingerprints, you'll see that the right thumb, index finger and middle finger show signs of wear as opposed to the left thumb index and middle fingers showing no real signs of wear. One of the problems with the fingerprints is that, although Jimmy Durham stated he took the fingerprints, the actual fingerprint form has not been certificated nor signed by anyone.

The wear on the right fingers suggests that he would have possibly used some kind of metal tool in his occupation. Engraving or watchmaking comes to mind.

Going off-topic here but on a related point, there was some thought given to the man perhaps being involved in the forged petrol coupon business which would sort of back up the engraver theory and tie in with Prospers auto business.

I'll try to keep to the steps to make this easy for you.

1. Yes you have repeatedly questioned the standard of police investigation, from PC Moss not happening to notice a box of matches to him or others not looking in the mouth which was false. Also you questions the very integrity of the police investigation (listed twice in reports which I've given dates for and both are in your cashe of documents so I assume you've read them) and Inquest which clearly describes the hair, height, build, teeth, and ears of the SM which matches the bust of the man Mr Paul Lawson made, because somehow it doesn't match the person you think is the SM.

I think you should consider that the original body Mr Lawson made inquires about disposing of may have been the body that was already in the morgue when SM was brought in. The one that Mrs Elizabeth Thompson burst into tears when identifying and had a picture of them both for evidence. Also Stanley Salotti identified him as did James Mack.

2. Wrong. They clearly looked in the mouth and checked the back of mouth for signs of a plate. However fixating on scraps of potato that were never found in the stomach and have no relation to when the food may have been eaten, which the Inquest concentrates on is going to get you going around in circles for 10 years and missing important lead that could identify the unknown man.

3 and 4. Dr John Cleland "...we did not find any evidence of potato, although he had been eating potato". If you are saying when you eat something it is still going to be in your mouth 4 or more hours later then you prove it See comments above for an unsubstantiated comment that he had been eating potato and irrelevant detail that will not identify the unknown man.

5. Robin's teeth are exactly as described in the dental map that was made by investigating police. Both have number 2 upper incisors missing. In both it is not noticeable when talking. It's possible in the photo of Robin has more back teeth missing that matches the SM dental map made by initial investigating police. Just because the dental map show a gap for the missing teeth, for recording, in real life the person looks like Robin.

His exact missing teeth and ear similarity are both discussed by Professor of Professor of Anthropological and Comparative Anatomy at the University of Adelaide, Australia. He was recently interviewed in the Radio National podcasts which have been linked on here and with both the unusual features or the teeth and ear occurring together in Professor Henneberg's opinion Robin is the son of the Somerton man.

6. Professor Hanneberg has seen the ear from the bust and in his opinion it is the same or very similar to Robin's I am aware Mr Lawson had difficulties in getting the mould of the ear and perhaps you should have used Robin's actual ear when comparing.

7. There was no problem with the embalming of the SM. Doesn't matter if there were any or many power outages. No problems with making the bust other than with excess water from defrosting that occurred unless Mr Lawson was lying under oath. The bust was made of the man found on Somerton beach matching the descriptions in the police reports, Mr Lawson's affidavit and in particular the hair samples found still in the plaster matched all police and Inquest descriptions of his hair.

If the second photo was SM in a supposed decomposed state, why wasn't this attached in Inquest evidence? Maybe it was and returned to the photographer, as per police photographer Mr Dunham's affidavit, as it was obviously a fake or disinformation?

So you have the teeth chart made by initial police investigations matching exactly to Robin's missing upper teeth. You have Robin's ears also said to be unusual matching the ears on the bust of SM. The hair colour of the hair still in the plaster from making the bust matches the descriptions given in two police reports and all descriptions in the Inquest.

You have already disregarded police statements and the expert physiological and pharmacological report of Prof Hicks when saying barbiturates were the cause of death when they weren't and I guess now you want to disregard the expert Anthropological and Comparative Anatomy opinion of Prof Henneberg with his opinion of the teeth, ears and facial features.

If you have a picture of a person you think to be SM he should only have three teeth on the bottom right lower jaw and 4 on the upper right. If he doesn't then you should not be considering this person as a possibility for SM. His teeth missing the upper number 2 incisors will look very much like Robin's. If he you are unable to accept these basic facts and want to go around in circles please do not involve me!

View attachment 771846
View attachment 771847
How sad.
So, moving right along, whilst we have a copy of the inquest documentation, we don't have a copy of the proceedings as in what questions the Coroner asked of which witnesses and what were their answers. It was that questioning that led the coroner to his findings. I don't have a copy of those proceedings and if anyone does then perhaps they could share them.

Thanks.
Actually the game of GO is an ancient Chinese board game. It's probably the oldest board game played continuously to the present day. It's interesting that is has a dedicated following in the UK. That's probably introduced to the western world via merchant seaman and British colonies that were in China until ww2 such as Shanghai.
This mysterious gentleman that you think is the Somerton Man had a Mercant Seaman's ID, issued in the USA. Others have postulated that some objects found in the suitcase in the locker at Adelaide train station were items used in marking shipping freight.
It's probably highly likely that this bloke had visited Chinese ports to pick up knowledge of the game of GO.
This leads me to wonder about two crates that had gone missing in China around the time of the Japanese invasion of Peking.

There have been some that postulated that Prosper Thompson might of been a fence for stolen freight from ships.

Did he ever mention hominid early ancestors, or have any interest in paleontology or mention this man in relation to saying anything about the missing Davidson Black collection of Peking Man fossils from Dragon Bone Hill in China?

This story of a meeting at the top of the Empire state building in 1972 with a mysterious woman claiming to have the missing Peking Man fossils for sale is intriguing.

One would expect an amount of obfuscation if someone had indeed, had illegally in their possession the most sought after artifacts in the world. I would expect that they wouldve spun a story about they had came into their possession, and why they were selling them. I'd even expect that they'd send a proxy in case the FBI showed up.
Interesting that she claimed that two men had died over this business.

The only plausible link to Australia, and maybe the deceased found on Somerton Beach....

Remember The Mi5 bloke, Robert Victor Hemblys Scales? married Tania Teppema in 1949?

They had lived in Argentina since Robert retired from the diplomatic corps, and then Robert's business in Argentina went bust.
So she divorced him (1972)
Tania then retired to a very expensive enclave in Chile.
(Where did she get the money?)
Robert moved to Brazil. (Did a Ronnie Biggs?)

Last edited:
The food was consumed between 8pm and 11 pm according to the timelines, not sure how that puts him on the beach, I would have thought it suggested he had his food elsewhere unless he happened to have potatoes with him.
Doesn't put him on the beach if this is accurate and it was said he could have had a meal many hours before it was thought.

Sir Stanton Hicks said it fitted the evidence of the poison on the organs and viscera if he wasn't at the beach when it was ingested in the excerpt I've previously posted. Evidence of the blood in the stomach indicated severe convulsion and there was no disturbance of the sand around the man. He was somewhere else when he was dying.

Also, Coroner Cleland could not determine where the SM died.

He possible had different trousers brown striped, on from the ones seen on the man at 7.00 pm to the ones found on him the next morning, brown (unless of course there were two men!),

With a pasty containing ground meat, it would have been somewhat easier I guess, But meat takes longer to digest and as far as I have read, there is no mention of meat in the stomach contents.
The only mention of what was in the man's stomach was blood and Dr John Cleland said there were no potatoes in his stomach. May have been meat if Coroner Cleland made remarks about his last meal being a pie or pastie. However you're missing the point that the Dr's and Sir Stanton Hicks were making.

Not sure about the nicotine stains but if you look closely at the fingerprints, you'll see that the right thumb, index finger and middle finger show signs of wear as opposed to the left thumb index and middle fingers showing no real signs of wear. One of the problems with the fingerprints is that, although Jimmy Durham stated he took the fingerprints, the actual fingerprint form has not been certificated nor signed by anyone.

The wear on the right fingers suggests that he would have possibly used some kind of metal tool in his occupation. Engraving or watchmaking comes to mind.

Going off-topic here but on a related point, there was some thought given to the man perhaps being involved in the forged petrol coupon business which would sort of back up the engraver theory and tie in with Prospers auto business.
On the issue of fingerprints, the man was said to have hands were not used to manual labour so that also fits. Hardly the hands of a woodcutter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The teeth, Robin had no 'missing' teeth, they were there but in a different position, in other words there were no gaps. The Somerton Man's teeth are as per the attached image. Missing teeth means no teeth. In the inquest documents you will read a comment that you would notice the missing teeth if he smiled but not if he spoke.
This is one of the more ignorant statement I've seen that directly contradicts the evidence and Prof Henneberg's recent analysis in the podcast of Robin's teeth.

Robin clearly has his number 2 or upper incisors missing. They were not in a different position. They are missing but that doesn't mean there is a huge gap. Robin's teeth are an excellent example of someone that has upper incisors missing and his upper canine teeth are next to his two front teeth. The teeth appear bigger and slightly more spaced so talking to him or to SM you wouldn't normally notice teeth were missing.

The dental map is a map for the purpose of identifying which teeth were missing and doesn't give an indication of what the teeth in the mouth look like.

Robin has his canine teeth next to his two front teeth, exactly like the Somerton man had. This is unusual and is hereditary. Although Professor Henneberg doesn't go into whether Robin also had many of his back teeth missing, the picture show he possibly has when he is smiling.

This exact teeth formation as SM combined with the unusual Robin had ears that match the SM's ears led Prof Henneberg indicating Robin was the son of SM.

1572486435419.png 1572486550575.png
Numbered teeth are the missing teeth in the dental map.
Robin has upper incisors (number 2's ) missing and possible only 4 teeth on one side of his upper jaw. This is known to be a hereditary condition and could be a very close match to the SM teeth.

No crumbs upon his clothes,
No food particles stuck between the teeth.
No napkin and no toothbrush found upon him nor nearby.
Evidence of a meal though.
Inference by the Coroner that a meal, being a pie or pastie, had been eaten a few hours before time of death.

Time of death around midnight or later therefore becomes probelmatic if it's implied that the deceased was on Somerton Beach for the entire time from 7:30 pm, and in the same clothes all day until he was discovered deceased the next morning.

And what of the scratches on the back of the hands?
No evidence from witnesses of the deceased having these injuries by the bus conductor nor ticket seller prior to his arrival at Glenelg.

Going through the timeline again. AT 9.40 am, life was pronounced extinct. The Doctor stated that he had been dead for 8 hours and then no more than 8 hours. That makes it 1.40 am. In other evidence, we read that the food was consumed 3 to 4 hours before death. That then makes the time of eating between 10 pm and 11 pm. It all depends how accurate that it but on the face of things, our man was alive until 1.40 am and possibly after that and he had eaten late at night. A question to ask is if a man had taken the poison deliberately prior to that time, would he really have had a meal knowing he was about to die?

Robin Thomson's images, teeth and ear comparisons clarified.

1. From the image of the Ballet poster, you will see that there are no gaps in Robin's teeth, also a reasonable image of Robin's right ear.

RobinSmile_poster.jpg RobinSmile_poster.jpg

2. In the ear comparison chart, you will see Robin's (Jestyn's son) ear is similar to other members of Jo's family even Jo's grandson who was after SMs time. The ear is not identical to that of the Somerton Man.

Ears_comp.png Ears_comp.png

Attachments

• RoinSmile.jpg
    RoinSmile.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Ears_comp.png
    Ears_comp.png
    121.9 KB · Views: 213
The case of Keith Mangnoson is tragic and worth considering because it could be closely related to the SM case.
1572487887683.png
Keith Waldemar Mangnoson b 1914. He came forward and gave a statement to police officers in early January 1949 saying he knew the identity of the SM. However because of the tragic death of his son who was almost 2 we don't know what his statement actually says, because he never gave evidence and was held in a hospital and then a mental institution when the inquest was occurring. He was said to have met the man in country SA near Renmark in 1939 and said to have named him as Carl Thomson.

There was an Inquest into the death of his some Clive Mangnoson on 10th June 1949 after Clive was found dead and Keith dazed with hypothermia on 6th June 1949. Mr McRae found Keith and Clive after having a dream.

1572489190027.png
Interestingly, as seen in the following report he had the dream while at work at the power house where he was employed earlier on Sunday evening of 5th June 1949.
1572489393660.png
1572489585070.png
Amazing that only 4 days after they were found a report was made by Coroner Cleland that you don't need to wade through because he came to the conclusion how and when the father Keith murdered his son Clive.

More on the report later but it's strange that witnesses only spoke abut the stong bond between father and son and Coroner Cleland makes a determination that hypothermia was the cause of death even though Dr Dwyer (yes the same as in SM Inquest) in analysing the stomach though barbiturates were the case of death. There was possible trail to Keith having a bottle of barbiturates his mother in law had and an empty bottle was found near where Clive and Keith were discovered.

However even though this was the only tenuous link to Keith this was not found to be cause of death.

Clive was found to have his testicles inguinal.
1572490244784.png

Roma Mangnoson, Keith's wife gives an account of Keith after going to the Morgue to identify SM's body. She was terrified the threats that were made against her were because of Keith identifying the body.

"My husband thought he had worked with the man at Renmark. When he came back after seeing the body at the morgue he was so upset that he could hardly eat his tea."

A man had shouted in her doorway on Thursday night (16th June), had a khaki handkerchief over his face and told her "keep away from the police - or else" she said. A car stoped and a man was twice seen lucking around her house in recent days.

The acting mayor of Port Adelaide was also threatened with "an accident" if he "stuck his nose" in the Mangnoson affair as well in three phone calls as well.

At teh time the SM Inquest was happening. It opened on 17th June 1949 and Keith did not give evience becaseu he was in hspital but was adjourned to 21st June 1949 presumable to hear more evidnece. However there was no more evidnece and after opening on 21st June without hearing any more the Inquest was closed
1572490366490.png 1572490655766.png

There was a strange sequel to Mrs Roma Mangnoson being terrorised by the masked man, that she was interviewed by Detective L Bond, after which she collapsed and needed medical attention.

Was she further terrorised by police? She was described by a doctor as having been "in an extremely overwrought condition". Police thought this was because of the recent tragedy of her son.

To add insult to injury a fund that hundreds of people touched by the circumstances of her son's death gave money to will probably be suspect to an official enquiry by the Chief Secretary.
1572491152841.png

This might be a real rabbit warren, and quite likely totally coincidental, and it will question who exactly is related to whom based upon apparent genetic defects

But

Look at the ears of Dr Franz Weidenreich.
(He died in New York during July 1948 BTW, so no, he ain't the bloke who allegedly died on Somerton Beach)

0ab9c9b682c4ab60fc6e528e9453fd7a.jpg

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Thanks.

I was referencing IGO (GO) in relation to the game my father played with this chap... the "Japanese version". While the game may have originated in China, that's Weigi...same game perhaps, but an entirely different name. My father went through phases of intense interest in particular subjects, particularly medical / anatomy based. Neanderthal Man and his comparing racial attributes, IQ's etc., was an obsession for a time. In hindsight I think his interest was more a self evaluation of his own importance / intelligence and superiority perhaps. This was from late 50's & into the 60's. He wanted to be a famous surgeon, however he lacked the money and schooling to qualify. Instead he had an arrangement whereby he was mentored by the teaching surgeon (whom he named) in exchange for helping supply medical cadavers for dissection / teaching purposes for students (body parts), thus he associated with a variety of younger University medical students. All done under 'the blind of police' it seemed. These things evolved over time / decades, so it's complicated and too lengthy to go in to. I'd rather forget it all, and hope to do just that once this SM identification business is finished.

The clip about Peking Man fossils is very interesting and of course anything's possible, but it's a very long bow to draw, and any such theory could only be proven true, by locating those lost fossils. I stay within the boundaries of the things I can have some certainty of truth in. I'm a witness to my fathers activities, so I try not to speculate beyond that.

Cigarettes.

Can someone humour me, because I'm a nosey parker and want to know whether the deceased was left or right hand dominate.

Which hand had tobacco tar staining to the pointer and middle fingers?

Did he favour smoking cigarettes from a particular side of the mouth? Which teeth were more tobacco stained? Vis a vis Which side of the lips had the most tobacco staining?

Whoever filled in this card was left handed.
5ba6269327553e4f6ceab0403ae04046.jpg

Whoever filled in this card was left handed.
5ba6269327553e4f6ceab0403ae04046.jpg

The signature on the back of the photo looks to be the same as the I.D., minus the backwards slant. My father wasn't born till 1929, however as I was asked for samples of his writing, I guess these will be analysed. It should be the writing of the card owner (H.C. Reynolds) and maybe he was left handed. It's the photo that matches in any case. There was no 'Port of Entry' nominated on the back of the card either. Nothing handwritten on the back, no validation for Division 1,2, or 3 Seaman Status, and not signed by 'immigrant Inspector'. Where-ever he travelled to, it would seem as if he never got off the ship. The stamp date doesn't seem the American style either, so perhaps he was just passing through. I'd have though Christian names, rather than initials would be necessary as well. Even one Christian name would have helped narrow down the search also.

I assume you've chosen to mention the finger print inspection and the conclusion SM's 'right handed', then making comparisons to dismiss Reynolds as possibly SM, owing to what you see as a 'left handed' signature. You can spend your time analysing SM and Googling whatever you like. I'm not here to defend the I.D. card photo. The card was kept under cellophane for 43 years, and remains as I found it. Prior to 1967 it was kept under floorboards (that's when I first saw it). If you've issue with the comparative findings, or you think you've evidence that can further SM investigations, you should take it to Maciej Henneberg and SAPOL.

The signature on the back of the photo looks to be the same as the I.D., minus the backwards slant. My father wasn't born till 1929, however as I was asked for samples of his writing, I guess these will be analysed. It should be the writing of the card owner (H.C. Reynolds) and maybe he was left handed. It's the photo that matches in any case. There was no 'Port of Entry' nominated on the back of the card either. Nothing handwritten on the back, no validation for Division 1,2, or 3 Seaman Status, and not signed by 'immigrant Inspector'. Where-ever he travelled to, it would seem as if he never got off the ship. The stamp date doesn't seem the American style either, so perhaps he was just passing through. I'd have though Christian names, rather than initials would be necessary as well. Even one Christian name would have helped narrow down the search also.

I assume you've chosen to mention the finger print inspection and the conclusion SM's 'right handed', then making comparisons to dismiss Reynolds as possibly SM, owing to what you see as a 'left handed' signature. You can spend your time analysing SM and Googling whatever you like. I'm not here to defend the I.D. card photo. The card was kept under cellophane for 43 years, and remains as I found it. Prior to 1967 it was kept under floorboards (that's when I first saw it). If you've issue with the comparative findings, or you think you've evidence that can further SM investigations, you should take it to Maciej Henneberg and SAPOL.
There's many possibilities if other writing from this man slants differently to the backwards slanting upon this card.

For instance
The ID might've been a forgery, as in whoever had it may swapped the original owners photo with his own.
He could've been injured and had to write with his left hand.
He might've wrote with the pen pointing towards him instead of outwards.
He may of deliberately wrote backhanded.
Someone else might be filled it in.
HE might've wrote it upon a clipboard that was facing a peculiar angle.
Etc.

What name did this man that your dad mention go under according to what you've been told? Was it different to what's on the ID?

There's many possibilities if other writing from this man slants differently to the backwards slanting upon this card.

For instance
The ID might've been a forgery, as in whoever had it may swapped the original owners photo with his own.
He could've been injured and had to write with his left hand.
He might've wrote with the pen pointing towards him instead of outwards.
He may of deliberately wrote backhanded.
Someone else might be filled it in.
HE might've wrote it upon a clipboard that was facing a peculiar angle.
Etc.

What name did this man that your dad mention go under according to what you've been told? Was it different to what's on the ID?

Yes it could be any of the above, I really don't know. Maybe the ship was tilting ha! Even for the signature on the back of the photo, he could have angled the photo a certain way, thus appears straight / a different slant. The immigration card might have been filled out in preparation, but he never got off the ship and then discarded it and could have picked up by someone else. It's so well preserved for 100 year old item, that it didn't seem used at all. Not dog eared as if carried around in a pocket or wallet etc.. If it's SM's, it's possible it came from his unlocked suitcase or his dwellings may have ransacked afterwards.

My father created puzzles and as I've mentioned before, he'd use a dictionary and encyclopedia. He'd proudly tell others he was 'self taught'. As an example of one puzzle I had to remember...He told me he was 'special friend to police' and that he was known to police and Govt. as 'the whistling butcher-bird'. He likened this to the South Australian Piping Shrike Emblem = 'piping' is to whistle and a 'shrike' is a butcher-bird. He also explained to me how badly maligned the butcher-bird was by its naming, and that in order to survive, the bird would thrust its prey against sharp objects, but it wasn't really the bird that did the killing...it was the sharp object...and he compared this to the use of knives. He had lots of puzzles and he'd string them together as the years passed. It was following his trail of puzzles, going backwards, that helped lead me to the I.D..
My father never became a qualified surgeon or doctor, but he would use his skills often and he mentored others. I personally think these academics never intended to help my father get any valid qualifications. I recall him going through a very sad period where spoke of betrayal and being used by them and all their empty promise. In the end I think he wanted to show he'd outsmarted all of them, despite their advantages, money and education.

Witness accounts are long and tedious and I never know if what my father's told me is true and when names tend to be wrapped within puzzles, it's hard to trust. I trust what I observed, and up until 1977 he'd handled dozens of cadavers, and not all were connected to helping medical students (done in earlier years). As I'd seen him handle so many bodies, I naturally thought the card would belonged to one of them.
My father believed it to belong to this chap. I'd rather hand this final puzzle to others and the exhumation, and rely on DNA results for SM's identity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back