- Mar 21, 2016
- AFL Club
- Other Teams
- Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Thomas Ambrose Keane 1911-1970I think that we should revisit Thomas Ambrose Keane.
We've all assumed that he's alive and well, after 1/12/1948, but that seems to be due to a couple of things that don't seem to stack up to scrutiny. I think we need to examine him again.
1. He s mentioned in the 1954 Royal Commission about being thrown out of the ALP, but his expulsion occurred in 1945. He didn't appear at the Royal Commission, nor was summoned to appear.
2. Newspapers articles mention a Thomas Keane in Cricket and Tennis club results from Williamstown / Newport, but there's more than one Thomas Keane living in that area. A different Thomas Keane once owned the Pub at Newport and I suspect that's the one being mentioned.
3. His death certificate issued in 1970. Although a death is listed for a Thomas Ambrose Keane in Victoria BDM website, we haven't actually stumped up the fee to see it. Death certificates can be issued for people that have been missing for many years, once they're deemed in all probability to be deceased. There is an advertisement in the Sydney newspapers from a Melbourne solicitor enquiring of the whereabouts of a Thomas Keane.
4. ASIO file on Thomas Ambrose Keane of South Brisbane was opened in 1945. No one else by that name has been found other than the one from Williamstown. Could it be that after Thomas Ambrose Keane's expulsion from the ALP for being a Communist that he threw it all in, job, marriage and simply buggered off to lead another life?
5. He was a member of the CPA. Same branch as Pile, Hill and others that came to prominence and had members of the Painters and Dockers Union involved. He was heavily involved in some notorious union campaigns at Newport Workshops all of which appeared to of ended by 1945.
6. The age of Somerton Man. The photo of the corpse appears to me to be about 10 years younger that the estimated age that the coroner gives him. Might be worth another look at the autopsy report to see how much accuracy can be attributed to the estimated age of the corpse.
7. He's not burried at Williamstown cemetery. Yet his wife is, and almost every other member of his family and his wife's family that lived in the area is.
8. He was an upholsterer at Newport Workshops. He would sewed and used stencils in his trade. This would fit with some of the items in the suitcase and the repairs to the clothing in the Somerton Man case
Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
KEANE Thomas Ambrose <Unknown Family Name>, Bridget NOLAN <Unknown Family Name>, John TALLAROOK
KEANE Thomas Ambrose
<Unknown Family Name>, Bridget NOLAN <Unknown Family Name>, KEANE John Tallarook Williamstown
<Unknown Family Name>
KEANE Thos Ambrose MCDONALD, Lily Maud
MCDONALD Lily Maud KEANE, Thos Ambrose
Thomas Ambrose Keane
Date of birth
Altona Memorial Park
View interactive map
Date of death
30 March 1970
Robinson Lawn (A), Row 8, Grave 17
01 April 1970
3 people buried at Altona
Lily Maud Keane aged 86 - 1998
Thelma Haining buried 1999 aged 79
(Thelma McDonald married Trevor Haining 1940 - presumed sister of Lily)
HAINING Trevor Tom MCDONALD, Thelma May Peace