Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps there was a different sentiment in the late 40s ..
Thomas Abraham Keane’s NAA file was written up in its completeness to begin with, otherwise how could someone come to the decision to restrict the information it contained?
Why not eliminate the file completely?
The restriction decision letter is dated 1996!

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Some interesting snippets about post war Dutch intelligence work in Australia.View attachment 741336
85aabedb61891ab704dcaa29ab029ff5.jpg
bd6076839fdd6ecf079c9c12f0a71b95.jpg

Some further reading on Dutch NEFIS espionage in Australia http://www.naa.gov.au/Images/Brawley%20Oct%202007%20edit_tcm16-35888.pdfView attachment Brawley Oct 2007 edit_tcm16-35888.pdf

Some further reading on Dutch NEFIS espionage in Australia http://www.naa.gov.au/Images/Brawley%20Oct%202007%20edit_tcm16-35888.pdfView attachment 742557

Apparently the NEFIS was also involved in the recovery of Gold and Diamonds looted by the Japanese from the Dutch East Indies during WW2 some of which were on Japanese ships sunk by Australian British Dutch and US submarines operated from Fremantle during the war.

and the recovery of Gold and Diamonds loaded onto evacuation ships sunk by the Japanese at the beginning of the war

Let's look at anyone else from Abingdon St Wooloongabba who might be a more likely candidate for Somerton Man. Maybe Someone who purchased clothing and stuff for the Thomas Ambrose Keane who supposedly lived at 19 Abingdon St Wooloongabba.

1st persons of interest
Alexis and Victor Suvoroff at 58 Abingdon St Wooloongabba

Alexis (still alive in 1955)
Victor (records not yet digitised)
45c7eb0db076ddb929c4a0b50d819132.jpg

Any resemblance?

Pavel Fedosimov.

Some intersting reading in this blog:

Any resemblance?
View attachment 743667

View attachment 743664
Pavel Fedosimov.

Some intersting reading in this blog:

I don't think so.

Firstly SM had hypodontia with this chart showing his missing teeth (8's being wisdom teeth), but if he was speaking the missing teeth weren't noticeable.

His canines were beside his two front teeth. Sounds like they were spread out in his jaw with no noticeable gaps. Likely this was genetic with Robyn, his probable son, having canines beside his two front teeth also and would expect his teeth to look more like Robyn's

Pavel has a jaw full of teeth including at least 9 on the bottom jaw, where SM only had 7.

Ears don't look like the SM who has an attached lobe and Pavel's nose is very different.

743796 743802 743799

I wonder if Harkness was Jessica's mum's maiden name? Can happen, if she no longer wanted to have her dad's surname. Could happen due to an abusive father or incest rape. Especially if she didn't want the resultant baby to have her father's surname.

I wonder if Harkness was Jessica's mum's maiden name? Can happen, if she no longer wanted to have her dad's surname. Could happen due to an abusive father or incest rape. Especially if she didn't want the resultant baby to have her father's surname.

I cannot remember ever seeing any official record of Harkness’ existence prior to her interview with Detective Canney in 1949

I cannot remember ever seeing any official record of Harkness’ existence prior to her interview with Detective Canney in 1949
Was there not a record of Robyn's birth in July 1949 with her as the mother?

I also thought there was a record of her not or a Jessica Harkness not finishing her last nursing exam in 1945 because she was ill, in the first stages of pregnancy?

Also Alf Boxall in his interview with Stuart Littlemore talks about meting her twice. Once in the company of another serviceman and his girlfriend and another at the same hotel just the two of them when she gave him the Rubaiyat just before she deployed in 1944?

I'm not sure if we can believe what Alf was saying though.

It's always thought it strange that a single woman having a baby without any family, financial or social support would go to Adelaide to have her baby and live.

Prosper Thompson and his wife had been living in Mentone for at least 10 years, as had her parents apparently, so it wasn't his home town either.

Was it because Adelaide was a hub for Communists being able to live and thrive and Jo Harkness was being looked after by them?

No double she had plenty of secrets but she was a mature adult woman around 28 years old when she became pregnant.

Kate Thomson in the 60 minutes interview suggested Robyn's father was SM. The congenital hypodontia with missing upper and lower incisors (number 2's) of Robyn Thomson's being the same as SM is not a co-incidence I believe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Police report 22nd December 1948 with record of natural teeth, grey eyes and fair hair going grey at temples.

Police CIB division report 27/11/59 to New Zealand. Fairly coarse gingery coloured hair turning grey at sides.

Det Leane. As an aside, is his signature similar to T. Keane?

He described SM's hair as being gingery but mousy coloured, coarse, turning grey behind ears, slightly wavy, no distinct part and slightly receding infront.

Dental records used to be the DNA of identifying unknown or unrecognisable victims. I've seen a blog stating the records were checked in Australia (can't confirm if true), but it's likely this man was from a country that didn't have English as it's dominant language.

SM has severe hypodontia, not noticeable when smiling, had natural teeth and didn't wear a plate. Teeth spread out in the mouth. Hypodontia almost certainly congenital and should be an important identifying factor.

"Lt. Thomas Keane C. Coy 2nd Batt Limerick IRA was executed for levying war & possession of arms. Shots were fired at police but no witnesses confirmed Keane to be the shooter. He was 34, married with two kids & a third on the way."

File embargoed until 2048》
LT Thomas Keane EXECUTED 4/6/1921

Witness statement to the incident in which Thomas Keane was executed for attached.

PS: I can't find any independent witness attesting to the execution actually being carried out.
ce71088467cb182a84709245b8f3b1d3.jpg
View attachment BMH.WS1559.pdf

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

"On Saturday the 4th of June 1921 at 8am Thomas Keane was executed in Limerick Detention Barracks by firing squad, he was convicted of levying war and possession of arms. It was reported that after hearing Mass and receiving Holy Communion he walked to his death with fortitude and calmness. Outside large crowds including the deceased’s wife and mother assembled to pray for the repose of his soul. Hymns were sung and after the official word that the execution had taken place the crowd dispersed quietly. Keane was a railway worker and was married with two young children, they lived at 1 Moore Lane, Limerick."

All civilians were outside the barracks and didn't physically witness the alleged execution of Keane.

Extract》
"The likelihood is that the British forces managed to recruit quite a few republicans for intelligence work who never suffered the threat of execution unlike their civilian counterparts. For example Paddy Egan, the Brigade Intelligence Officer of the IRA’s South Roscommon Brigade was a ‘double agent’ working for the British forces and other IRA Volunteers “turned” by the British in captivity worked as “stool pidgeons”gathering vital intelligence information from other IRA prisoners.
The British intelligence agent who probably inflicted the most devastating blows to the republican war effort was William ‘Bill’ Shiels an ex-British soldier who had infiltrated the IRA in north Cork and was responsible for the deaths of nine IRA Volunteers at Nadd and Mourne Abbey. Shiels managed to disappear just before the Truce of July 1921 and was later reported to have started a new life in Asia with the aid of British Intelligence / MI5"

What would MI5 do with an Irishman recruited into it's ranks after 1921?
What would he be best at being Repurposed for? Infiltrating other anti British terrorist organisations? Especially ones who wouldn't suspect an Irishman being a plant. An MI5 agent under deep cover.
I think I know exactly where MI5 would send an Irishman posing as an IRA veteran. Palestine.
And these were the terrorists that MI5 were actively infiltrating 》
01f75cd98661e48de444028d6eb0a20a.jpg
1c27cb8719d6083a0320693e04a8322e.jpg
7123d25cab021d1af6b58cc1cbd002b8.jpg

Could there be any clues in the Body found at Somerton Beach, Adelaide in 1948 case to link him being an MI5 infiltration operative into Anti British Terrorists: Zionist paramilitary organizations Haganah, Irgun and Lehi in the British Mandate of Palestine.
Or even a triple agent into communist influence into the very same? What clues do we have. A lot, I think.

One of the interesting things on this thread are the research posters have done into parts of the case that have been made available all while looking at the political and social circumstances of Adelaide and Australia at the time.

Lables were removed on most items of clothing. The T Keane name was found on one tie, a laundry bag and a singlet had the name Kean. The writing in capitals on the tie is shown below. Both the capital T and the capital K look strange. The K could have been a L with a straight line added.

Looking at the Detective - Sgt Lionel Leane (full name Raymond Lionel Leane) signature at the bottom of one page of the Inquest statement I'm not convinced that the T Keane name is genuine. Did he have a brother T Leane?

Last edited:
Calder Walton

Empire of Secrets: British Intelligence, the Cold War and the Twilight of Empire

Details direct involvement by the IRA of recruitment into the formation and training of anti British Jewish Terrorist Groups.

One of the interesting things on this thread are the research posters have done into parts of the case that have been made available all while looking at the political and social circumstances of Adelaide and Australia at the time.

Lables were removed on most items of clothing. The T Keane name was found on one tie, a laundry bag and a singlet had the name Kean. The writing in capitals on the tie is shown below. Both the capital T and the capital K look strange. The K could have been a L with a straight line added.

Looking at the Detective - Sgt Lionel Leane (full name Raymond Lionel Leane) signature at the bottom of one page of the Inquest statement I'm not convinced that the T Keane name is genuine. Did he have a brother T Leane?

View attachment 750124

View attachment 750122
View attachment 750123
Is is a capital T or a Hasidic ך "ende khuf."?

One of the many Commonwealth Investigations Branch (Predecessor of ASIO) files on NAA of surveillance of Zionist organizations in Australia. This one contains details of Communist Party links, and reports from Agents sent to infiltrate meetings and report transcripts of meetings and membership lists.
45419548dcc7c929cfb36b62f0ecd961.jpg

03165bd8472a262dbf37d2718a65d682.jpg

3c7f14b9215c3ebde5943883cee4333a.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back