Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

The only problem with this theory is explaining the American connections.
Still looking through 1946 at Sydney though. Nothing yet

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

This might pique your interest. Look who's the Australian distributor, Mr B Harkness, of Harkness shoes.
28 Oct 1951 - ROYAL COBBLER SEEKS IDEAS - The Daily Telegraph (Sydney, NSW.) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article248990139

And yes, Harkness made Brogues, Riding boots, dancing shoes. And they were sold in shoe stores, from Perth to Brisbane and every shop in between.
06 Jun 1940 - Advertising - The Herald (Melbourne, Vic.) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article243225729

With the Harkness shoe company, is there any way we can get at records about shoe lasts and numbering systems used? Each manufacturer had its own numbering method and sometimes borrowed others. Also of interest is the Repatriation shoe factories that existed in each major city in and after WW2 I think they closed down in 47 but not certain.

The only problem with this theory is explaining the American connections.
Still looking through 1946 at Sydney though. Nothing yet

Strong German American relationships before and after WW2.

With the Harkness shoe company, is there any way we can get at records about shoe lasts and numbering systems used? Each manufacturer had its own numbering method and sometimes borrowed others. Also of interest is the Repatriation shoe factories that existed in each major city in and after WW2 I think they closed down in 47 but not certain.
They were still going into the 50's.
I'm guessing that they made Brogues from returned boots and shoes. Being that they were also a distributor of English brands, it could very well explain the number in Somerton Man's Brogues which matched a pair of English riding boots. Being that Harkness sold their shoes through retailers and didn't have their own outlets, like RMW does, IMO it'd probably be impossible to match a buyer to a serial number.

Strong German American relationships before and after WW2.
I note that there were quite a few evacuees in Australia during WW2 from Dutch East Indies, and some are listed as German Jews and Americans in NAA, (let alone other countries that had ample time to evacuate European civilians, e.g. Pacific islands, Macau etc). However, I have no idea if there is any evidence of Somerton Man arriving in Australia prior to 1946, (the presumed year that he fathered Jessica's child), if he did at all.

Last edited:
The documentary reveals hitherto unknown information about the nurse and her “relationship” with Somerton Man, startling eyewitness accounts of the discovery of the body and new facts regarding Somerton Man’s possible connection with the South Australian racing industry.

Dr Milo Sprod who died in 1934 at his residence at Moseley St (on the corner of Pier St) Glenelg, was a well known racing identity.
BTW his medical practice was once at 25 Jetty Road, Glenelg (where the the book was found a car)

His widow, Dr Lica Sprod was the Aunty in law of MI5's Australian Station Chief, Robert Victor Hemblys Scales
I should clarify. This IMO proves that the Somerton mystery is not likely to be spy related, because it's way to close in proximity to Robert Victor Hemblys Scales visit to Unley Park with his fianance, and the proximate localities of his Aunt in law's prior businesses and domiciles. I don't think that MI5 would take kindly to their own station chief shitting in his own nest, so to speak. It would raise too many questions and risk doxxing the whole shebang.

They were still going into the 50's.
I'm guessing that they made Brogues from returned boots and shoes. Being that they were also a distributor of English brands, it could very well explain the number in Somerton Man's Brogues which matched a pair of English riding boots. Being that Harkness sold their shoes through retailers and didn't have their own outlets, like RMW does, IMO it'd probably be impossible to match a buyer to a serial number.

Yes, I would be almost certain that any records that were kept are long since gone. The top-end companies may have them as Lobb and Co did but I wouldn't bet on it. There is a slim possibility that the riding boots were SMs and that he used those numbers inside his shoes for whatever reason. But now we are in to privacy issues of course. Might give Mr.Lobb another email on the off chance he could furnish a little more information. If for example they were size 8 that would be intereting.

Yes, I would be almost certain that any records that were kept are long since gone. The top-end companies may have them as Lobb and Co did but I wouldn't bet on it. There is a slim possibility that the riding boots were SMs and that he used those numbers inside his shoes for whatever reason. But now we are in to privacy issues of course. Might give Mr.Lobb another email on the off chance he could furnish a little more information. If for example they were size 8 that would be intereting.
Id be asking if there's any record of them being sent to an distributor (one that might've salvaged the leather to remanufacture them into Brogues if they were damaged in shipping).
At least that way, we'd have some idea of where he purchased them.

Was is Cleland, or was it Prosper? Was there 2 persons carrying SM to his final destination?
It's easy enough to say that Prosper had means, opportunity and motive, but anyone else, well that's where it gets into the realm of needing to know who SM was before motive can be elicited.
Or if the Communists were involved, is Elliott Johnston card carrying communist, meeting speaker and organiser implicated? His service records have 330 pages out of 400 permanently suppressed by ASIO. Nothing after the November 1948 Communist Party meeting until around 1951.

Was strangely discharged precipitously from services in Papua New Guinea on Jan 3rd 1945 with explanation suppressed.

How did a committed and open communist survive and thrive in his Law practice in the late 1940's and 50's in an environment where communists were being deported and shot and the cold war against them, was in full force.

Then he becomes a QC and eventually Supreme Court judge. He was refused Supreme Court Judge by the Premier of the day who may have had access to the ASIO records. Was elevated by Don Dunston with a change of Government. That's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or if the Communists were involved, is Elliott Johnston card carrying communist, meeting speaker and organiser implicated? His service records have 330 pages out of 400 permanently suppressed by ASIO. Nothing after the November 1948 Communist Party meeting until around 1951.

Was strangely discharged precipitously from services in Papua New Guinea on Jan 3rd 1945 with explanation suppressed.

How did a committed and open communist survive and thrive in his Law practice in the late 1940's and 50's in an environment where communists were being deported and shot and the cold war against them, was in full force.

Then he becomes a QC and eventually Supreme Court judge. He was refused Supreme Court Judge by the Premier of the day who may have had access to the ASIO records. Was elevated by Don Dunston with a change of Government. That's hardly a ringing endorsement is it?
If SM was a Soviet Agent there should be some mention of his disappearance... but there's not.
I note though a lot of chatter about ROK's wife being in Hospital in 1946. Royal north shore hospital? This is in the timeframe that JK might've conceived with SM. https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/declassified-documents/venona/dated/1946/mar/

Last edited:
Wasn't worth watching IMO.

Kind of agree with you... I'm also not comfortable about who's interests this documentary was meant to served. I guess for those new to SM case, Australia Story brought the old investigation footage and 'what's new' together, however a glimpse of the Abbotts building their family ballet empire would have been sufficient, and against a background of murder, and accusations surrounding 'who did it', made seeing the children being raised under the gaze of those 2 portraits, uncomfortable to watch (for me anyway). I also think indoctrinating such young children with a story not yet proven, is unwise. Prof. Abbott kept his marriage to the 'presumed' SM grand-daughter plus 3 children a secret for years, hence creates a conflict of interest while examining SM case. This can make a somewhat biased investigation, but for Rachel Egan and their new family's sake, I hope Prof. Abbott's paternity theory proves true. I prefer the podcast.

I checked in for it quite late so missed most of it.

They might start a GoFundme page to raise the money for the exhumation and then that line of inquiry can be settled?
It was disappointing and a bit cringe considering the podcast also done by the ABC, Radio National had far more information and research.

One of the interesting pieces of information the podcast brought up was the Stuart Littlemore audio saying that Det Sgt Leane went to work for ASIO not long after the Inquest. This seemed to be an outake from the 1978 ABC documentary he presented on the SM as I don't think it appeared on the docu.

Littlemore in his interview with Alf Boxall asked if Jo knew he was with Intelligence and I assume saying Leane went to ASIO was considered a secret that didn't need to be aired in 1978.

This is episode 1 https://radio.abc.net.au/programitem/pe4DqqGgrD

Coincide of importance 2.
Semen Ivanovich Makarov's wife in Hospital 1946... same time that Jessica Harkness is trainee nurse meets SM and develops a relationship?
1948 Semen Ivanovich Makarov' wife is evacuated to Moscow. He follows a year later... after the body of a deceased male is found upon Somerton Beach, South Australia.
69943bd55bb6e9893a286997092ef37d.jpg
8e7b09bdbb3cfcd3bcb674e7998dcc2b.jpg

Coincide of importance 2.
Semen Ivanovich Makarov's wife in Hospital 1946... same time that Jessica Harkness is trainee nurse meets SM and develops a relationship?
1948 Semen Ivanovich Makarov' wife is evacuated to Moscow. He follows a year later... after the body of a deceased male is found upon Somerton Beach, South Australia.
69943bd55bb6e9893a286997092ef37d.jpg
8e7b09bdbb3cfcd3bcb674e7998dcc2b.jpg

I've found some interesting material in the venona documents code named KLOD and Walter Clayton in regards to someone else's wife also being hospitalized during1946 at the time that Jessica Harkness was working in a hospital . I'll collate them on the weekend and post the results.

Last edited:
I've found some interesting material in the venona documents code named KLOD and Walter Clayton in regards to someone else's wife also being hospitalized during1946 at the time that Jessica Harkness was working in a hospital . I'll collate them on the weekend and post the results.

Let me know if someone else has already been down this burrow. ROK wife's name was, Anna Vasil'evna.
The Americans didn't seem to figure out who ROK was, even with this staring at them in the face that ROK was Aleksandra Vasilevna? Maybe they thought that using the name of the famous "Anna of Moscow" was probably a nom de plume and wasn't real?
9309fe7b4307e061ab57d2b3298bdf76.jpg
76e6921c92b5d43fd59b385c683c08b4.jpg
View attachment Vassiliev-Notebooks-and-Venona-Index-Concordance_update-2014-11-01.pdf

Last edited:

Apparently, ASIO is accused of keeping mum about the extent of being penetrated, even to this day.
7a8f5f283865db34ceef55a9a5b38cf1.jpg

Let me know if someone else has already been down this burrow. ROK wife's name was, Anna Vasil'evna.
The Americans didn't seem to figure out who ROK was, even with this staring at them in the face that ROK was Aleksandra Vasilevna? Maybe they thought that using the name of the famous "Anna of Moscow" was probably a nom de plume and wasn't real?
9309fe7b4307e061ab57d2b3298bdf76.jpg
76e6921c92b5d43fd59b385c683c08b4.jpg
View attachment 766848

I can't follow how you have brought in the initials ROK as relating to the Somerton man?

Are you saying a spy called Aleksandra Vasilevna is ROK? How does ROK even come up in the SM case?

Also are you saying that this man's wife Anna, was in the Royal North Shore Hospital in 1946 when Jo Harkness was there? Then Anna got sent to Russia in 1948?

Her husband Aleksandra might have been the SM and had an affair with Jo Harkness? Did he go back to Russia or is there a record of him dying and what did he look like?

It was very unusual in the 1940, 50 or 60's for any unmarried woman to keep a baby. Adoption or Jo working as a nurse would have doctor contacts for D&C.

Even if a couple stayed together but weren't married when baby was born it's most likely the baby was adopted out. I know of two cases where this happened and the parents stayed together got married and had a family together after adopting their first baby out because they were not married.

In 1946 to have a baby as a single Mother would have been almost impossible. She left Sydney where she was working, didn't go to live with her parents or where they'd lived in Mentone but went to Adelaide. She had Prosper Thompson who also hadn't lived in Adelaide and was married to give her his name knowing the baby wasn't his.

Was she actually married to somebody else at this time - possibly the father? Or who or what was in Adelaide taking responsibility financial responsibility for her and Prosper having to start a business up from scratch?

I note that Prosper put an add in the paper offering 1,500 pounds cash to buy a house only a few days (apparently) before SM was discovered. It's possible the money came from SM who Ina Harvey said had booked a room at the Hotel she was working at during that time/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back