Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Actually the Inside Story documents on NAA were brought to my attention via a 7 year old post by BDeveson on the Smithsonian site. I've been wading through both volumes. I note that police thought that he was Eastern European, long before Ira Harvey came forward, but the ticket seller didn't say anything about an accent. Also interesting is that he was seen to wait for the train, watch people board it, watch it leave, and then left the station to board the bus. Police opinioned that this action demonstrated classic spy craft behaviour. Today we call it OPSEC.

However, any former boy scout who read Baden Powell's book on spying which was fairly popular would also know about this little trick anyhow. And if so the connection to T A Keane, the former boy scout, former Army cadet, possible EYL member, and definitely a communist ARU member at Newport Workshops can't be ruled out as yet.

One thing I did note from my couple of years working at the Newport work shops in the early 80's was the multicultural workforce. There were many Greeks, Russians, Maltese etc. So SM could've been both Eastern European and Australian. As noted earlier, white Russians had migrated to Australia long before the war. How he became acquainted with T A Keane has a myriad of possibilities.

However, there's another possibility, that I need time to explore, that's related to a multinational organisation that moved people around the world, and they weren't soldiers. Time might tell.
Still looking through but the Lionel Leane interview in the second volume sticks out for me with the mention of finding a hypodermic syringe nearby.

Leane was only attached to the case on 14th January 1949, so he couldn't have found this at the time. Possible the initial investigating cops found it, but there has been no mention of it, although Leane repeated three times that it was being held by police in evidence.

I think the poison that caused his death has been established and this was confirmed for me with the Philips review where the medical evidence was looked at again by professors in forensic science.

So was there something in the syringe that could have been connected to what he was there for or nuclear facilities at the time?

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Still looking through but the Lionel Leane interview in the second volume sticks out for me with the mention of finding a hypodermic syringe nearby.

Leane was only attached to the case on 14th January 1949, so he couldn't have found this at the time. Possible the initial investigating cops found it, but there has been no mention of it, although Leane repeated three times that it was being held by police in evidence.

I think the poison that caused his death has been established and this was confirmed for me with the Philips review where the medical evidence was looked at again by professors in forensic science.

So was there something in the syringe that could have been connected to what he was there for or nuclear facilities at the time?
Nothing is confirmed for me about his death. There's a lot of conjecture and opinion within the volumes of the interviews and letters. I think tunnel vision had derailed much of the investigation, more so than any possible conspiracy. Someone died. We don't really know why or who he is. An imputation is made that he was known to Jessica Harkness and is the father of her child. Whether they met that fateful day has been taken to her grave. Her surprise at seeing the bust would suggest not to me, but the possibility should not be discounted. I have taken a view that the only way to identify him now is simply to follow every lead and every association, search every record, find names, search them. When I first came across this mystery a few years ago, I had thought that the evidence would give us clues. But the brand of matches, cigarettes, clothes or shoes hasn't given us anything solid. There's no magic list of people who bought these items, no list of train passengers on the interstate trains, no passenger arrival lists, nada. The post mortem has many details. One thing I can deduce is that he's probably right handed as the nicotine stains are on the fingers of his right hand. This would suggest that he is unlikely to be whoever wrote the HC Reynolds ID card, however the prospect of him being a merchant seaman lead me to discover other mysteries such as the woman allegedly trying to fence one of the lost crates of Peking Man fossils at the top of the empire state building in the 70's who alleges that 2 people had been murdered in relationship to the smuggling of these artifacts. Keeping an open mind is probably the hardest thing to do in any process of investigation as impatience encourages our minds to want to cut to the quickest path of resolution, and thus we will discount the improbable and categorize the too hard as far fetched or deluded, until we're forced back to those paths once the easy path hits the dead end. Just as I originally discounted Thomas Ambrose Keane of Williamstown, because he was still alive well after 1948. But something kept nagging me about that old army cadet record. It was the handwriting of whoever filled out his details. The T Keane written upon that form is nearly the same as the T Keane written upon that tie in the suitcase found at Adelaide railway station! So an intriguing possibility is that SM had items gifted or bought from this T Keane. Will searching T Keane's associates yield results? Too early to tell, and hampered by the lack of digitised records and photographs, it will be laborious but is probably the easiest lead, considering that if this mystery does have something to do with espionage then T Keane of Williamstown Victoria also was involved in the same communist party apparatuses as Horace Pile who was sent to Adelaide 2 years after SM's death to spy at Woomera. Why might Pile be Important to this story? He is related via marriage to Harkness.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nothing is confirmed for me about his death. There's a lot of conjecture and opinion within the volumes of the interviews and letters. I think tunnel vision had derailed much of the investigation, more so than any possible conspiracy. Someone died. We don't really know why or who he is. An imputation is made that he was known to Jessica Harkness and is the father of her child. Whether they met that fateful day has been taken to her grave. Her surprise at seeing the bust would suggest not to me, but the possibility should not be discounted. I have taken a view that the only way to identify him now is simply to follow every lead and every association, search every record, find names, search them. When I first came across this mystery a few years ago, I had thought that the evidence would give us clues. But the brand of matches, cigarettes, clothes or shoes hasn't given us anything solid. There's no magic list of people who bought these items, no list of train passengers on the interstate trains, no passenger arrival lists, nada. The post mortem has many details. One thing I can deduce is that he's probably right handed as the nicotine stains are on the fingers of his right hand. This would suggest that he is unlikely to be whoever wrote the HC Reynolds ID card, however the prospect of him being a merchant seaman lead me to discover other mysteries such as the woman allegedly trying to fence one of the lost crates of Peking Man fossils at the top of the empire state building in the 70's who alleges that 2 people had been murdered in relationship to the smuggling of these artifacts. Keeping an open mind is probably the hardest thing to do in any process of investigation as impatience encourages our minds to want to cut to the quickest path of resolution, and thus we will discount the improbable and categorize the too hard as far fetched or deluded, until we're forced back to those paths once the easy path hits the dead end. Just as I originally discounted Thomas Ambrose Keane of Williamstown, because he was still alive well after 1948. But something kept nagging me about that old army cadet record. It was the handwriting of whoever filled out his details. The T Keane written upon that form is nearly the same as the T Keane written upon that tie in the suitcase found at Adelaide railway station! So an intriguing possibility is that SM had items gifted or bought from this T Keane. Will searching T Keane's associates yield results? Too early to tell, and hampered by the lack of digitised records and photographs, it will be laborious but is probably the easiest lead, considering that if this mystery does have something to do with espionage then T Keane of Williamstown Victoria also was involved in the same communist party apparatuses as Horace Pile who was sent to Adelaide 2 years after SM's death to spy at Woomera. Why might Pile be Important to this story? He is related via marriage to Harkness.

What's confirmed for me is what he died of because of the detailed post mortem evidence which was further analysed by Professor Stanton Hicks and further investigated and analysed in the Phillips review in 2004.

The 2004 Phillips review, written by a Professor of Law had the co-operation of the SA Coroner at the time and two Professors of forensic medicine from Victoria (I gave more details in the post where Gordon attached the report back in the thread).

They came to the conclusion backing Professor Stanton Hicks that the cause of death was plant glycosides and probably digitalis. It was interesting that in the original Inquest Professor Hicks did not mention the names in his evidence for fear of public using the poisons as they were easily accessible. Hicks said in evidence he wrote the name of the poison on a piece of paper and it was put into evidence as Exhibit 18. However in the Phillips review they found that this piece of paper was lost.

It explains that Exhibit 18 which was attached to the Inquest in 1955 (not in 1949) says glucosides which is something entirely different and wouldn't affect the heart causing death. Then two unintelligible words which were supposed to represent the two classes of glycosides, plant and animal were misrepresented. The handwriting of Exhibit 18 did not match Prof Hicks and it seems if the original piece of paper was lost someone without medical training has written what they thought Hicks said at the Inquest (glucosides instead of glycosides) and included this to replace the lost note.

Anyhow for me because of the medical evidence, the cause of death is confirmed.

Other than that there is disinformation whether on purpose or not which I think only DNA will solve.

I did find the former Det Sgt Leane's interview notes for Stuart Littlemore very interesting. Leane was putting forward random theories and seemingly disjointed ideas but his repeated claims that SA police had a hypodermic syringe found close to the body of SM something you don't make up.

It's quite an outstanding claim if true and could be related to how SM died or could confirm what Ira Harvey said SM had in his room in a black medical type case in the days before he died? If so what did it the hypodermic syringe contain?

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Posted 4 examples of an Acrostic code found in the SM docs including the one for Tibor Kaldor, the Code page, Verse 70 and the Gold Watch ad.:
/forum/threads/rubaiyat-suspicious-deaths-codes-spies.1231844/page-3

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Somewhere in the NAA folder you'll find some notes from John Ruffles, he describes the meeting between Harry Gold and an unlnown Russian man at the Earle Theatre in the Bronx. JR immediately thought that the man matched SMs description and said so. The man later turned out to be Pavel Fedosimov. Funny old world :)

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
The American DNA had me perplexed for awhile. How could this piece of evidence involve communists, Russians, espionage or hiding his identity?

Unless, an identity swap.
It's one way to hide a high value defector, going him a new life with an existing identity.

Find a volunteer who has very few people outside of the know, who could identify him. and he's dying, so he volunteers to commit suicide so that the defector can assume his identity and life. So for all intents and purposes we'd have a hard time to identify the deceased, because to all the world, he was still alive, albeit it was someone else now living as him. Stage it in a foreign country where he's been stationed with a decent paying job where he's not too well known. Maybe he's 2nd in charge. Maybe an equilivant rank and existing job to the defector.if the object is to hide the defector rather than pretend he's dead, then the only identity they'd have to hide is the corpse's.

I have a suspect as the volunteer, James Montgomery-Gilchrist Jnr. We need before and after photographs to prove an identity swap occurred in 1948 of course, but circumstances surrounding James Montgomery Gilchrist Jnr and his connections to people that were likely involved in the SM case might strongly suggest that he is a good contender for having died and been rebirthed.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
You have a very good understanding of the cold war situation against the Communists that existed in Australia and many Western countries post WW2. So if you want to expand your thinking, I'm posing serious questions about Elliot Frank Johnston.

How did this man who was a card carrying communist party organisor in Adelaide, someone who was under ASIO (or it's predecessor) surveillance and even now has only 70 documents out of 300 available to view, thrive in his business and become a QC and SA Supreme Court judge?

An acquaintance of his who knew him in 1948 has written a letter suggesting he was involved in the death of SM (among other accusations) using plant poison. This person also allege Elliot was given 50,000 pounds in 1949 which he bought a flash car and big house. In an oral interview Johnston talks abut being a Communist organisor for much of the 50's and not working again as a lawyer until 1957. He also travelled to different countries around the world, including Russia, China, India and Korea during this time.

Was Elliot Johnston driving a flash car, and what was it?
Was this money he was alleged to be given connected to the SM case? Hush money for keeping a secret about SM identity or his purpose in Adelaide?
Did EJ have information only known to the top at ASIO that could compromise Australia or Allies in USA (CIA) or MI5 that gave him a free ride even though he was a card carrying communist?
Johnston resigned from the CPA before taking up the role of sitting on the bench.
You'll find the reference in this attachment.View attachment 1.pdf

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
The American DNA had me perplexed for awhile. How could this piece of evidence involve communists, Russians, espionage or hiding his identity?

Unless, an identity swap.
It's one way to hide a high value defector, going him a new life with an existing identity.

Find a volunteer who has very few people outside of the know, who could identify him. and he's dying, so he volunteers to commit suicide so that the defector can assume his identity and life. So for all intents and purposes we'd have a hard time to identify the deceased, because to all the world, he was still alive, albeit it was someone else now living as him. Stage it in a foreign country where he's been stationed with a decent paying job where he's not too well known. Maybe he's 2nd in charge. Maybe an equilivant rank and existing job to the defector.if the object is to hide the defector rather than pretend he's dead, then the only identity they'd have to hide is the corpse's.

I have a suspect as the volunteer, James Montgomery-Gilchrist Jnr. We need before and after photographs to prove an identity swap occurred in 1948 of course, but circumstances surrounding James Montgomery Gilchrist Jnr and his connections to people that were likely involved in the SM case might strongly suggest that he is a good contender for having died and been rebirthed.

Apparently, I am related to the Gilchrists through my wife's lineage so I was able to do some genealogy research and it looks unlikely that James Montgomery Gilchrist jnr could be a swapped identity as he had live relatives who would've recognized an imposter.

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Johnston resigned from the CPA before taking up the role of sitting on the bench.
You'll find the reference in this attachment.View attachment 807420

Can't open your attachment but I'm aware that Elliot Johnston didn't resign from the Communist Party (CP) until 1983, when 65 years old, because he had to resign to accept the role of Judge in SA Supreme Court.

He was an open, active member of the CP officially since 1941 and CPA organisor exclusively being paid for this within Australia and overseas after the war, and didn't go back to his law practice until 1957 (from his oral interview at State Lib). This was at the height of the cold war against Communists in Australia, and he did all of these activities and then became a prominent lawyer and Queens Counsel all while being a card carrying Communist leader.

He left the army suddenly at the start of Jan 1945, was under ASIO surveillance until around 1960, (most of the 300 pages they have on him and his activities are permanently closed) and if there were any suspicions that the Communists might have been involved somehow in the death of the SM, then EJ must come under consideration for his role.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Can't open your attachment but I'm aware that Elliot Johnston didn't resign from the Communist Party (CP) until 1983, when 65 years old, because he had to resign to accept the role of Judge in SA Supreme Court.

He was an open, active member of the CP officially since 1941 and CPA organisor exclusively being paid for this within Australia and overseas after the war, and didn't go back to his law practice until 1957 (from his oral interview at State Lib). This was at the height of the cold war against Communists in Australia, and he did all of these activities and then became a prominent lawyer and Queens Counsel all while being a card carrying Communist leader.

He left the army suddenly at the start of Jan 1945, was under ASIO surveillance until around 1960, (most of the 300 pages they have on him and his activities are permanently closed) and if there were any suspicions that the Communists might have been involved somehow in the death of the SM, then EJ must come under consideration for his role.
1983 is the year quoted in the attachment also.

PS. One minute the files you mentioned are closed. Next minute via another search route 1st of 3 digitised volumes are there

3 of 20 volumes. Volume 20 is 1973.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
1983 is the year quoted in the attachment also.

PS. One minute the files you mentioned are closed. Next minute via another search route 1st of 3 digitised volumes are there

3 of 20 volumes. Volume 20 is 1973.

I've read all of the 66 available from 300 pages and noted before he was under surveillance and almost prosecuted for avoiding war service, but there are two years of notes from just before SM death that are permanently closed that could be very important in this case.

His abrupt exit from Papua New Guinea and completely from service a short time later on 03/01/1945 is not commented on.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I've read all of the 66 available from 300 pages and noted before he was under surveillance and almost prosecuted for avoiding war service, but there are two years of notes from just before SM death that are permanently closed that could be very important in this case.

His abrupt exit from Papua New Guinea and completely from service a short time later on 03/01/1945 is not commented on.
My Grandfather's cousin was in New Guineas at that time as a war correspondent . He covered some court marshalls for the Argus and such. Google up Cyril Burley in NAA and see if Johnston gets a mention. Anything that was newsworthy may be in Cryril's record. I haven't found anything yet about Johnston's repatriation specifically, other than there were a lot of diggers impatient about returning home.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Genealogical entry of Prosper McTaggard Thomson started by a Grand Nephew
He needs to pad it out and add birth date, death date, partners and children etc. So it added sources for him, but as I'm not connected to the tree, i can't do any more than that.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I think this is the cousin of Thomas Ambrose Keane (Thomas Ambrose Keane > http://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scripts/AutoSearch.asp?O=I&Number=30986094 ), who was once listed as staying at his Aunty Annie's place at 2 Speight St Williamstown / Newport in the 1920's.
(Thomas Leonard Keane> ).
If this his cousin, then this picture might give some semblance to what Thomas Ambrose Keane might've looked like.
c8cf55baa8e5687e73cf5f16498d398c.jpg
I will note that TL Keane's wife's name is listed as Marie. Doesn't give his mother's name, but he was born in Newport.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Passport photo of Charles Mikkelsen

Charles genealogy
2f16430381501cc56033174d4058424e.jpg
source https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=31709342
b1a1979a238ba3b9ced5de0d719abcb0.jpg
source https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scr...=31817302&Module=SearchNRetrieve&Location=SNR

First mention of the name Charles Mikkelsen being nominated as Somerton Man.

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Passport photo of Charles Mikkelsen

Charles genealogy
2f16430381501cc56033174d4058424e.jpg
source https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=31709342
b1a1979a238ba3b9ced5de0d719abcb0.jpg
source https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/scr...=31817302&Module=SearchNRetrieve&Location=SNR

First mention of the name Charles Mikkelsen being nominated as Somerton Man.

Riddle me this.
If he died on the way back to Norway in 1940, then how does he show up in the Denmark Census, later that same year?
a4aecfdbb1508d1265fa783de9c13013.jpg

Mycroft

Debutant
Apr 5, 2016
Panama
Genealogical entry of Prosper McTaggard Thomson started by a Grand Nephew
He needs to pad it out and add birth date, death date, partners and children etc. So it added sources for him, but as I'm not connected to the tree, i can't do any more than that.
I don't know when this 'tree' was created, however I believe the 'great nephew' could be the same chap who came to me in around 2012 claiming to be my 1/2 brother. Initially he introduced himself as Carl Thomson, later stating his full name as James Carl Thomson. He was wanting to re-establish his relationship with our father Max McIntyre. He claimed his Mother's name was Caroline and she was the daughter of Quentin Thomson. Caroline died when he was a child (about age 6), thus raised by his Grandfather Quentin Thomson. James inserted himself into my family and my brother's life, and also into our extended family (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc.) and he was accepted. He even spend some weeks living with Max at Stansbury (York Peninsula) as well. Wanting to establish his paternity claims re- Max, James and Max were DNA tested and the results were positive. I was given a copy as proof. But there were some other things that didn't add up. This concerned James search for his own birth certificate, and also Caroline's. Due to the Reynolds I.D. card and SM investigation, I asked police for some confirmation re-Caroline Thomson, however they could find no record of her existence at that time. There seemed to be no death certificate either, and nothing shown in obituary notices. Caroline was a mystery. Certainly James drivers licence etc. appeared genuine. When James had a short stay in hospital, I visited him. Prior to the nurse administering his medication, she stated his full name and date of birth before giving him tablets. This supported the identity and DOB he'd previously given me. Over a 6 month period, James helped us gather information as well. Then suddenly he demanded copy of his DNA results to be placed in an envelope and returned to him, followed by an email instructing me to cease all contact. And then James vanish from our lives. In the lead up, I'd queried a few things 'that didn't add up', but otherwise, I thought all was well. When our father Max McIntyre died 13/6/17, we thought we'd hear from James (Max's death received media cover), but there's been no word from James Thomson since. To backtrack....James also took my brothers DNA and stated it was a match (brothers sharing same father), but I don't believe my brother ever saw the paperwork. We've since been left wondering whether James substituted my brothers DNA for his own, in order to obtain a positive result for Max's paternity. We can only speculate that he may have created fraudulent documents, and was 'found out'... and took off. We still don't know who James really is. There's little point in my filling the gaps in a family tree where James...aka Carl Thomson is concerned, as I still don't know if he's genuinely related to either the McIntyre's or the Thomsons.

Gordon1552

Senior List
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Riddle me this.
If he died on the way back to Norway in 1940, then how does he show up in the Denmark Census, later that same year?

Possibly, that was his place of residence and they, the parents, had not heard of his death?

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't know when this 'tree' was created, however I believe the 'great nephew' could be the same chap who came to me in around 2012 claiming to be my 1/2 brother. Initially he introduced himself as Carl Thomson, later stating his full name as James Carl Thomson. He was wanting to re-establish his relationship with our father Max McIntyre. He claimed his Mother's name was Caroline and she was the daughter of Quentin Thomson. Caroline died when he was a child (about age 6), thus raised by his Grandfather Quentin Thomson. James inserted himself into my family and my brother's life, and also into our extended family (Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc.) and he was accepted. He even spend some weeks living with Max at Stansbury (York Peninsula) as well. Wanting to establish his paternity claims re- Max, James and Max were DNA tested and the results were positive. I was given a copy as proof. But there were some other things that didn't add up. This concerned James search for his own birth certificate, and also Caroline's. Due to the Reynolds I.D. card and SM investigation, I asked police for some confirmation re-Caroline Thomson, however they could find no record of her existence at that time. There seemed to be no death certificate either, and nothing shown in obituary notices. Caroline was a mystery. Certainly James drivers licence etc. appeared genuine. When James had a short stay in hospital, I visited him. Prior to the nurse administering his medication, she stated his full name and date of birth before giving him tablets. This supported the identity and DOB he'd previously given me. Over a 6 month period, James helped us gather information as well. Then suddenly he demanded copy of his DNA results to be placed in an envelope and returned to him, followed by an email instructing me to cease all contact. And then James vanish from our lives. In the lead up, I'd queried a few things 'that didn't add up', but otherwise, I thought all was well. When our father Max McIntyre died 13/6/17, we thought we'd hear from James (Max's death received media cover), but there's been no word from James Thomson since. To backtrack....James also took my brothers DNA and stated it was a match (brothers sharing same father), but I don't believe my brother ever saw the paperwork. We've since been left wondering whether James substituted my brothers DNA for his own, in order to obtain a positive result for Max's paternity. We can only speculate that he may have created fraudulent documents, and was 'found out'... and took off. We still don't know who James really is. There's little point in my filling the gaps in a family tree where James...aka Carl Thomson is concerned, as I still don't know if he's genuinely related to either the McIntyre's or the Thomsons.
In the end, I've had to create one, as he seems to of abandoned his genealogy efforts.

I haven't bothered with his claimed line beyond his GGF. There were other siblings of Prosper that were missing from his tree anyhow, but he was operating in a vacuum of knowledge I suspect. I haven't added everyone at this point, as my focus is upon establishing any likely candidates for Somerton Man, in the off chance that he's a relative, or finding areas in which i can research acquaintances in space and time of relatives which may of been in contact with Jessica when she conceived Robin. Having said that, there's no definitive proof as yet that Robin is SM's child or that SM is related to the father.

Last edited:

Mycroft

Debutant
Apr 5, 2016
Panama
In the end, I've had to create one, as he seems to of abanded his genealogy efforts.

I haven't bothered with his claimedline beyond his GGF. There were other siblings of Prosper that were missing from his tree anyhow, but he was operating in a vacuum of knowledge I suspect. I haven't added everyone at this point, as my focus is upon establishing any likely candidates for Somerton Man, in the off chance that he's a relative, or finding areas in which i can research acquaintances in space and time of relatives which may of been in contact with Jessica when she conceived Robin. Having said that, there's no definitive proof as yet that Robin is SM's child.

I took another look and the 'tree' states last update was 2016. That's after he shot through. James aka Carl knew the names and background info. for all Prospers siblings and their partners, so it surprises me he's been so scant on his family tree. James was always bursting with information, and keen to share it with me. I wrote some down at the time, however I didn't feel the Thomson family's personal lives were my business. Mind you, at the same time he was sharing, he was also collecting up the McIntyre family history, because of course, he's wanting to know all about his relatives past and present. During that time, James was also in constant contact with Joel Leahy, and I saw proof of this via texts and conversations. Joel is Kate's son (Robin's sister). James / Carl said they were cousins. Neither were happy with Prof. Abbott digging into their lives, and I understood their resentment, as this had been done to me and my family as well (due to the Reynolds I.D.). As there was the possibility that my father may have acquired the I.D. via his relationship with Caroline Thomson (who had no records) I had to keep an open mind, even though I sometimes sensed, I was being 'played'. Carl also took some family memorabilia that he had no right to. He had quite a collection of ROK books too. I followed up your post as I thought you should know some background to Carl Thomson. I question what motivated this 'family tree' considering it's so wanting, when he knew so much. This is from the same Thomson family that had Kate on '60 Minutes' voicing that her mother was secretive, spoke Russian, and a suspected spy etc...and that her mother knew SM. While in the next breathe, she objects to SM's exhumation as being disrespectful to her brother Robin. On that program, the Thomson family had Rachel and her mother Roma appear in separate clips to Derek Abbott, pretending not to know Rachel and Abbott had been married since 2010 and had children together. So can you blame me for questioning the Thomson's agenda. Are they deceitful opportunists? Is SM mystery fame being exploited. You can understand it annoys me greatly if this family set out to deceive me via introducing a fake 1/2 brother as well. You're correct ...we don't know if Robin's SM's son.

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Riddle me this.

Possibly, that was his place of residence and they, the parents, had not heard of his death?
No, because his mother was a Norwegian living in Norway (died there 1950). Information from a family member. His biological father was living in the USA and his step-father was living in Norway.
Genealogical entry for Charles Mikkelsen

203d7b44d0d84b873aea82c4bde19e03.jpg

Last edited:

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
OK, Clive is on to the land registry and he believes we can find some records, may take a day or so, in the meantime he has sent me the following to be shared with you:

Per TROVE, "Advertiser" 17 Jul 1946 Page 15, Elder's Trustees were
holding an auction on 30 Jul 1946, on behalf of the estate of the late
Mr R.E. Allen for the properties/land at 90, 90 a & b Moseley Street and
various other properties/land in Somerton Park.

Just been looking at Sands & McDougall registers. Apparently, this
section of Moseley Street was in the suburb of 'New Glenelg'.

In 1947 a H.A. Lyndan is noted at 90a Moseley Street. (We know that
Prosper was living at this address by October 1947). H.A. Lyndan could
have been the previous tenant?

In 1948, an A.Ross is noted at this address, since Thomson was still at
this address, it's possible that A. Ross was the owner/landlord?

Not so good on the car registration front. All records pre-1960 no longer exist at least not formally. You'd have to think that somewhere out there in researcher land even back then, someone would have found a way of getting a copy? Maybe a start would be through the numerous local historical associations? I know Glenelg has an active one but not sure about a broader South Australian society?
Did Clive have any further luck with finding out who this A Ross was that owned the house? Is it possible to try a historic property titles search for the name Alexander David Ross? This is a long shot, Professor Alexande David Ross was a Physicist working on Defence projects during the war, He may of had an interest in acquiring property in Adelaide if he expected to be working on British Atomic Weapons Research and Testing. It's maybe not outside the realm of possibility therefore to see if he turned the use of his property over to his contacts in the Security Services as a safe house or something.

Back