Unsolved Taman Shud Case - The Somerton Man

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 832468

You can just see it there

Its more the lower lobe. On Mikkelsen its more rounded than on SM - all ears have similar lobe and cartilage shape. There may be slight differences but the overall structure is there

On SM the cartilage ( right ear) stops where Mikkelsen continues .
There is a profile photo taken from the right side of the face. Interestingly, that ear shows that it is not 'attached' as has been widely perceived. I have put a cropped comparison together as you can see, the ears are totally different in shape and construction. I think the image is quite definitive. The aspect ratios were a little off-beam but the detail of the shape and construction is plain to see. SMs ear 'stands off', Mikkelsen's doesn't. the intertragic incisure is completely different in shape and location. The anterior notch is almost invisible in Mikkelsen's ear and quite pronounced in SMs ear. The lobes are different shapes. I think I have the terminology correct!

Comp_SM_Mikkelsen.jpg

Ear_diagramatic.jpg

Attachments

• the-somerton-man-dead-featured.jpg
    the-somerton-man-dead-featured.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
There is a profile photo taken from the right side of the face. Interestingly, that ear shows that it is not 'attached' as has been widely perceived. I have put a cropped comparison together as you can see, the ears are totally different in shape and construction. I think the image is quite definitive. The aspect ratios were a little off-beam but the detail of the shape and construction is plain to see. SMs ear 'stands off', Mikkelsen's doesn't. the intertragic incisure is completely different in shape and location. The anterior notch is almost invisible in Mikkelsen's ear and quite pronounced in SMs ear. The lobes are different shapes. I think I have the terminology correct!

View attachment 832677

View attachment 832682
Given that the passport photo was taken before he was twenty, there is some room for injuries and age to change certain aspects. The SM's ears look a bit like a boxer's, but that aside, the lobes usually grow longer with age, not shorter.. Given those differences though, it would be usefull to have a profile view of Mikkelsen to compare forehead slopes, in the off chance that the differences in ears can actually be possible due to something I'm not aware of. Unfortunately I've had no luck obtaining further photos of Mikkelsen as yet. So far he's an outside chance, amongst the many. One of the few that we have a name and photo for, and maternal DNA from the bust hair could match with.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Given that the passport photo was taken before he was twenty, there is some room for injuries and age to change certain aspects. The SM's ears look a bit like a boxer's, but that aside, the lobes usually grow longer with age, not shorter.. Given those differences though, it would be usefull to have a profile view of Mikkelsen to compare forehead slopes, in the off chance that the differences in ears can actually be possible due to something I'm not aware of. Unfortunately I've had no luck obtaining further photos of Mikkelsen as yet. So far he's an outside chance, amongst the many. One of the few that we have a name and photo for, and maternal DNA from the bust hair could match with.

So a busted myth I had followed https://udel.edu/~mcdonald/mythearlobe.html

ie that attached and non-attached are inherited.

But I make the claim that Mikkelsen is NOT SM based on attachment v non-attachment. I am aware of changes over time but not to the extent that ears become attached from non-attachment. Maybe surgical enhancement might explain it - but not in 1940-48

1583321508592.png

I classify SM as having attached and Mikkelsen having non-attached

But, maybe the SM is the Danish Mikkelsen Doppelganger. The Danish Census seemed to show that another person had claimed the Norwegian Charles Lund Mikkelsen's identity. Same birth date. Same name. And the Norwegian Mikkelsen's father was a Lund.

But, maybe the SM is the Danish Mikkelsen Doppelganger. The Danish Census seemed to show that another person had claimed the Norwegian Charles Lund Mikkelsen's identity. Same birth date. Same name. And the Norwegian Mikkelsen's father was a Lund.
Identies at the time were fairly easy to chop and change if you needed to. With all the information you have on this man how tall was he?

The pardox is SA Police took over the DNA analysis and results of Dr Renee Blackie from June 2018 saying it was an open case and they needed the DNA to ensure chain of evidence could be confirmed. However no one has heard anything since.

Suspects that researchers have identified over the years could then be compared with the results. Pressure should be put on the SA Cops or government to release this DNA analysis.

If Mikkelsen did die in 1940 during the attack by the German Raider Atlantis. Then the name appearing in the Danish Census afterwards, might indicate that the identity was rebirthed.
Maybe by a intelligence agency, SIS, NKVD or even the German FHO itself, but they'd need to use someone with a strong resemblance to get past the Germans or Allies looking up his records at the time, depending on who he was working for.
A look alike.
And if this "look alike", is SM, it should certainly be possible that people who once knew the real Mikkelsen would be fooled into identifying SM as the original Mikkelsen years later.

Last edited:
Identies at the time were fairly easy to chop and change if you needed to. With all the information you have on this man how tall was he?

The pardox is SA Police took over the DNA analysis and results of Dr Renee Blackie from June 2018 saying it was an open case and they needed the DNA to ensure chain of evidence could be confirmed. However no one has heard anything since.

Suspects that researchers have identified over the years could then be compared with the results. Pressure should be put on the SA Cops or government to release this DNA analysis.

Five feet ten and a half inches. Recoded at Port Adelaide when he returned in 1930. Fair hair. Blue eyes. No scars.

Five feet ten and a half inches. Recoded at Port Adelaide when he returned in 1930. Fair hair. Blue eyes. No scars.
It's time SAPOL came clean with the DNA extracted from the hair inside the cast by Dr Renee Blackie. Then suspects for SM could be tested then eliminated or supported.

I also think the Mangnoson sighting in the outback around Renmark was significant, but I'm not sure if he was a woodcutter. We only have a secondhand report this was what Keith was going to say at the Inquest. I suspect he saw something involving the unknown Somerton Man, and this was shocking enough for someone to ensure he became "lost"for 3 days and nearly lost his life then.

Strange goings on and don't think it was related to being a woodcutter.

It's time SAPOL came clean with the DNA extracted from the hair inside the cast by Dr Renee Blackie. Then suspects for SM could be tested then eliminated or supported.

I also think the Mangnoson sighting in the outback around Renmark was significant, but I'm not sure if he was a woodcutter. We only have a secondhand report this was what Keith was going to say at the Inquest. I suspect he saw something involving the unknown Somerton Man, and this was shocking enough for someone to ensure he became "lost"for 3 days and nearly lost his life then.

Strange goings on and don't think it was related to being a woodcutter.

Keith had a number of Siblings. One of them is quoted in Hemblys Scales report on the ECAFE conference of 1948 as being a Commonwealth Investigations Bureau agent.

If Mikkelsen did die in 1940 during the attack by the German Raider Atlantis. Then the name appearing in the Danish Census afterwards, might indicate that the identity was rebirthed.
Maybe by a intelligence agency, SIS, NKVD or even the German FHO itself, but they'd need to use someone with a strong resemblance to get past the Germans or Allies looking up his records at the time, depending on who he was working for.
A look alike.
And if this "look alike", is SM, it should certainly be possible that people who once knew the real Mikkelsen would be fooled into identifying SM as the original Mikkelsen years later.

Photographs are only of so much use, names are similar. It doesn't do to just calmly accept that a photograph with a name attached to it is in fact that person or that the finding of a name refers to an earlier photograph. Nothing in the murky world of post-war politics and espionage is as it seems, deception was the rule and not the exception. As Redacted has said, documents, passports and other ID papers were easily modified and reused/rebirthed.

For the shake of pure conjecture, let's say that Charles Mikkelsen did survive the attack by the German Raider Atlantis by assuming another's identity, and then in a desire to support the Norwegian Resistance was recruited by an Allied Intelligence Agency.
Now we know that Robert Victor Hemblys Scales worked in counter espionage by war's end and was an MI5 interrogator. For the shake of this exercise, we'll assume that Mikkelsen was well known to Hemblys Scales, maybe even working for him. Could Hemblys Scales as his friend, then set him up to return to Australia under his new name, giving him a reference to join CIS?
Fast forward to late 40's and Mikkelsen calls on his old friend disclosing that the Dr's given him a death sentence, not long to live, wants a couple of favours. The address of an old flame to see his child, a poison that won't cause a nasty death.
Hemblys Scales quickly finds the old flame, she taken up with a guy and tracks him down to Genelg. This is handy, because his fiancee s Aunt is a doctor living nearby. Goes to her to explain the situation and she's ameniable to setting it up. She visits the chemist who still has a pharmacy in the building on Jetty Rd that her husband and herself had a surgery practice in before the Surgery was moved to Moseley St, Somerton Park, a fww doors up from where Mikkelsen's old flame is now residing.
So Mikkelsen makes his way to Adelaide, trying to locate and see his child. Missed the first opportunity, possibly missing the final opportunity because Jessica's working a shift.
The stomach pain is really killing him now, so rings the number that Hemblys Scales gave him. Dr Sprod answers, is given the confirmation code, and sets the train in motion. Calls the chemist to pick Mikkelsen up and take him back to his shop whilst she makes her way there from Unley Park. Mikkelsen tears a scrap of paper from his book and leaves the book on the seat.
They all get to Jetty Rd, where Dr Sprod meets them and administers the drugs intravenously. They are designed to let him pass away painlessly after a period of time. Mikkelsen has two last requests. Dying on the beach (he found a good spot earlier where he practised to make sure no one would disturb him) and a smoke.
He's taken to the spot, and is given a cigarette, but it's too late. The chemist smokes part of it and then puts it on the corpse. The chemist doesn't want to get into trouble with the Dr or her Spy man nephew, by not complying with Mikkelsen's last wishes. Forgets to put Mikkelsen's matches back into his pocket. Dr Sprod has already been given the luggage check ticket by Mikkelsen with instructions about certain items an money to give to his child's mother. Hemblys Scales gives further instruction over the phone about removing identifying particulars, and assures Dr Sprod, that her and the chemists involvement will be covered up.
Chemists brother finds the book and without knowing what his brother's involvement was goes and tells the press later on after the story of the Taman Shud.
Hemblys Scales ties up loose ends. Has a packet of matches "found" in the clothing etc.
Then things go sour. And Keith dies.

Better start writing the film script.:cool:

Photographs are only of so much use, names are similar. It doesn't do to just calmly accept that a photograph with a name attached to it is in fact that person or that the finding of a name refers to an earlier photograph. Nothing in the murky world of post-war politics and espionage is as it seems, deception was the rule and not the exception. As Redacted has said, documents, passports and other ID papers were easily modified and reused/rebirthed.
Agree with everything you say. However in 1948 they weren't familiar with DNA.

So comparing likely suspects researchers have postulated could by the unknown man with actual DNA from his hair (or any other DNA) will be the only way to solve this.

SAPOL can release or trace the DNA results from Dr Renee Blackie (or exhume) and solve this now if they want to.

Yes, we have discussed them before, but seeing as how you have now changed the playing field I’ll call your self- justification what it is. ... bullshit.
It's obviously faked. It looks like they are both shot in a studio but the lighting is incorrect between them and coming from different directions. That doesn't happen outdoors. The background image is shot outdoors, it's has lower sharpness and range of contrasts. It's good work, but it's been composited.

fake067.jpg
There may even be a very, unnaturally straight cut that doesn't quite look proper when it hits his cuff - see big arrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6dde7c3a786f4896a75b13c3d36f66ae.jpg
3d097cb1376d04d51fca1fa506d52d1d.jpg
7c96bd03544cedf4a9d4db6cd49db388.jpg
b27641494e47062aaa6c8bb624dc6414.jpg

After going down a genealogical search for the Somerton Man via anybody in proximity to the case, I've come to view the involvement of Keith Waldemar Mangnoson as extremely problematic.
The CIS agent named in Hemblys Scales ECAFE Russian delegation surveillance report, as being "Magnussen" I thought must be Keith's brother, Cyril as there's no other Mangnoson family existing in Australia, however this now appears unlikely given that Cyril's criminal record would preclude him from being able to join the Commonwealth Investigations Bureau. Likewise, Keith's father's criminal record and imprisonment would preclude him too. So unless one of his sisters was police woman, it only leaves Keith himself as being Hemblys Scales, CIS officer "Mangnoson".
To make this certain, I searched for the surname everywhere, including overseas. It does not exist prior the Keith's father John's use of the surname. The correct spelling of the name is Magnussen in Sweden and either John simply couldn't spell his own name or he made it up. I suspect the later. In fact I suspect that he wasn't Swedish at all, but it's not really relevant that Keith's family at the time where petty thieves, bullshit artists, or where on the lam from their past. However Keith's mental state and personal environment is relevant. I won't detail everything here, but I'll point out that there are a couple of important issues. Keith's motivation for reporting the identification, the alleged resulting harassment, and his ensuring behaviour, including some quite elaborately staged actions.
I suspect that Keith was working for the Commonwealth Investigation Service in 1948. That due to personal issues he thought that identifying the person of Somerton Man and staging the harassment would fix his personal issues. This might be to get his job at CIS back and fix problems with his relationship. Being that he was delusional, I won't try to offer a rational thought process to how he would've thought that these things could fix his problems. It is quite obvious from the neglect and subsequent death of his infant child that there was a delusion thought process going on, even though his actions in staging events must of been quite involved. He was staging himself as a rational actor but took irrational actions.
Keith Waldemar Mangnoson knew about poisons and the dose required to stage his own "close shave". If I didn't know any better, I would be wondering if Keith killed the Somerton Man, and proceeded to obfuscate his real identity by nominating someone else, and reinforce that with the alleged harassment.

Last edited:
After going down a genealogical search for the Somerton Man via anybody in proximity to the case, I've come to view the involvement of Keith Waldemar Mangnoson as extremely problematic.
The CIS agent named in Hemblys Scales ECAFE Russian delegation surveillance report, as being "Mangnoson" I thought must be Keith's brother, Cyril as there's no other Mangnoson family existing in Australia, however this now appears unlikely given that Cyril's criminal record would preclude him from being able to join the Commonwealth Investigations Bureau. Likewise, Keith's father's criminal record and imprisonment would preclude him too. So unless one of his sisters was police woman, it only leaves Keith himself as being Hemblys Scales, CIS officer "Mangnoson".
To make this certain, I searched for the surname everywhere, including overseas. It does not exist prior the Keith's father John's use of the surname. There is a similar name Magnussen in Sweden and either John simply couldn't spell his own name or he made it up. I suspect the later. In fact I suspect that he wasn't Swedish at all, but it's not really relevant that Keith's family at the time where petty thieves, bullshit artists, or where on the lam from their past. However Keith's mental state and personal environment is relevant. I won't detail everything here, but I'll point out that there are a couple of important issues. Keith's motivation for reporting the identification, the alleged resulting harassment, and his ensuring behaviour, including some quite elaborately staged actions.
I suspect that Keith was working for the Commonwealth Investigation Service in 1948. That due to personal issues he thought that identifying the person of Somerton Man and staging the harassment would fix his personal issues. This might be to get his job at CIS back and fix problems with his relationship. Being that he was delusional, I won't try to offer a rational thought process to how he would've thought that these things could fix his problems. It is quite obvious from the neglect and subsequent death of his infant child that there was a delusion thought process going on, even though his actions in staging events must of been quite involved. He was staging himself as a rational actor but took irrational actions.
Keith Waldemar Mangnoson knew about poisons and the dose required to stage his own "close shave". If I didn't know any better, I would be wondering if Keith killed the Somerton Man, and proceeded to obfuscate his real identity by nominating someone else, and reinforce that with the alleged harassment.

So, what does this mean for the Somerton Case, if Keith Waldemar Mangnoson is the Magnussen referred to in Hemblys Scales report?

Is it to do with Espionage?
Yes

Was Somerton Man being tailed?
Yes

Did CIS Mi5 know him?
Yes

Was Somerton Man expected in Adelaide?
Yes

Was he intercepted and picked up for interrogation by CIS or Mi5?
Yes

Did he die from the interrogation?
Yes

Did CIS or Mi5 try to cover up their blunder?
Yes

Did CIS let South Australian Police in upon what happened?
No

Had Mangnoson gone rogue?

Last edited:
This sometimes happens when a personnel file is transferred from one agency to another, because the person has transferred employment from one agency to another
3ab5dc6044b960f92af6c3c9ebbe3d33.jpg

I think that we should revisit Thomas Ambrose Keane.
We've all assumed that he's alive and well, after 1/12/1948, but that seems to be due to a couple of things that don't seem to stack up to scrutiny. I think we need to examine him again.
1. He s mentioned in the 1954 Royal Commission about being thrown out of the ALP, but his expulsion occurred in 1945. He didn't appear at the Royal Commission, nor was summoned to appear.
2. Newspapers articles mention a Thomas Keane in Cricket and Tennis club results from Williamstown / Newport, but there's more than one Thomas Keane living in that area. A different Thomas Keane once owned the Pub at Newport and I suspect that's the one being mentioned.
3. His death certificate issued in 1970. Although a death is listed for a Thomas Ambrose Keane in Victoria BDM website, we haven't actually stumped up the fee to see it. Death certificates can be issued for people that have been missing for many years, once they're deemed in all probability to be deceased. There is an advertisement in the Sydney newspapers from a Melbourne solicitor enquiring of the whereabouts of a Thomas Keane.
4. ASIO file on Thomas Ambrose Keane of South Brisbane was opened in 1945. No one else by that name has been found other than the one from Williamstown. Could it be that after Thomas Ambrose Keane's expulsion from the ALP for being a Communist that he threw it all in, job, marriage and simply buggered off to lead another life?
5. He was a member of the CPA. Same branch as Pile, Hill and others that came to prominence and had members of the Painters and Dockers Union involved. He was heavily involved in some notorious union campaigns at Newport Workshops all of which appeared to of ended by 1945.
6. The age of Somerton Man. The photo of the corpse appears to me to be about 10 years younger that the estimated age that the coroner gives him. Might be worth another look at the autopsy report to see how much accuracy can be attributed to the estimated age of the corpse.
7. He's not burried at Williamstown cemetery. Yet his wife is, and almost every other member of his family and his wife's family that lived in the area is.
8. He was an upholsterer at Newport Workshops. He would sewed and used stencils in his trade. This would fit with some of the items in the suitcase and the repairs to the clothing in the Somerton Man case

Last edited:
LOCATION Call No. Status

use-Audio Visual SRG 862/F-16 Movie Clip (.mpg) Digital use copy. Access only by special arrangement WITHDRAWN

e-Audio Visual SRG 862/F-16 Motion JPEG 2000 (mj2) Digital preservation master file WITHDRAWN

Society Record Group SRG 862/F-16 Original videorecording NOT FOR USE

Deposited by South Australian Police Historical Society Inc.

Withdrawn?

I think that we should revisit Thomas Ambrose Keane.
We've all assumed that he's alive and well, after 1/12/1948, but that seems to be due to a couple of things that don't seem to stack up to scrutiny. I think we need to examine him again.
1. He s mentioned in the 1954 Royal Commission about being thrown out of the ALP, but his expulsion occurred in 1945. He didn't appear at the Royal Commission, nor was summoned to appear.
2. Newspapers articles mention a Thomas Keane in Cricket and Tennis club results from Williamstown / Newport, but there's more than one Thomas Keane living in that area. A different Thomas Keane once owned the Pub at Newport and I suspect that's the one being mentioned.
3. His death certificate issued in 1970. Although a death is listed for a Thomas Ambrose Keane in Victoria BDM website, we haven't actually stumped up the fee to see it. Death certificates can be issued for people that have been missing for many years, once they're deemed in all probability to be deceased. There is an advertisement in the Sydney newspapers from a Melbourne solicitor enquiring of the whereabouts of a Thomas Keane.
4. ASIO file on Thomas Ambrose Keane of South Brisbane was opened in 1945. No one else by that name has been found other than the one from Williamstown. Could it be that after Thomas Ambrose Keane's expulsion from the ALP for being a Communist that he threw it all in, job, marriage and simply buggered off to lead another life?
5. He was a member of the CPA. Same branch as Pile, Hill and others that came to prominence and had members of the Painters and Dockers Union involved. He was heavily involved in some notorious union campaigns at Newport Workshops all of which appeared to of ended by 1945.
6. The age of Somerton Man. The photo of the corpse appears to me to be about 10 years younger that the estimated age that the coroner gives him. Might be worth another look at the autopsy report to see how much accuracy can be attributed to the estimated age of the corpse.
7. He's not burried at Williamstown cemetery. Yet his wife is, and almost every other member of his family and his wife's family that lived in the area is.
8. He was an upholsterer at Newport Workshops. He would sewed and used stencils in his trade. This would fit with some of the items in the suitcase and the repairs to the clothing in the Somerton Man case
Thomas Ambrose Keane 1911-1970

KEANE Thomas Ambrose <Unknown Family Name>, Bridget NOLAN <Unknown Family Name>, John TALLAROOK

7289/1911

KEANE Thomas Ambrose

<Unknown Family Name>, Bridget NOLAN <Unknown Family Name>, KEANE John Tallarook Williamstown
<Unknown Family Name>
59 1970
6647/1970

Marriage

KEANE Thos Ambrose MCDONALD, Lily Maud
16374/1937

MCDONALD Lily Maud KEANE, Thos Ambrose
16374/1937

Buried Altona

Thomas Ambrose Keane
Date of birth

Cemetery

Altona Memorial Park
Service type
Interment
View details
View interactive map
Date of death
30 March 1970
Section
Robinson Lawn (A), Row 8, Grave 17
Service date
01 April 1970

3 people buried at Altona

Lily Maud Keane aged 86 - 1998
Thomas Ambrose
Thelma Haining buried 1999 aged 79

(Thelma McDonald married Trevor Haining 1940 - presumed sister of Lily)

HAINING Trevor Tom MCDONALD, Thelma May Peace
13992/1940

Thomas Ambrose Keane 1911-1970

KEANE Thomas Ambrose , Bridget NOLAN , John TALLAROOK

7289/1911

KEANE Thomas Ambrose

, Bridget NOLAN , KEANE John Tallarook Williamstown

59 1970
6647/1970

Marriage

KEANE Thos Ambrose MCDONALD, Lily Maud
16374/1937

MCDONALD Lily Maud KEANE, Thos Ambrose
16374/1937

Buried Altona

Thomas Ambrose Keane
Date of birth

Cemetery

Altona Memorial Park
Service type
Interment
View details
View interactive map
Date of death
30 March 1970
Section
Robinson Lawn (A), Row 8, Grave 17
Service date
01 April 1970

3 people buried at Altona

Lily Maud Keane aged 86 - 1998
Thomas Ambrose
Thelma Haining buried 1999 aged 79

(Thelma McDonald married Trevor Haining 1940 - presumed sister of Lily)

HAINING Trevor Tom MCDONALD, Thelma May Peace
13992/1940
Thanks. Altona. Just what I needed. Didn't think to go north.

Missing person - Presumed dead.
Never found. Last see by family early 1930's.

Thomas Frank Arkinstall, born Inverall NSW 18/7/1887

This would make Somerton Man 61 years old (if he's Arkinstall).

Should I mention that his ex wife and all his descendants have ASIO files? Every one of them.

I did post a photo, but I found out that it was someone else. Have yet to find a photo.

Here is Lt Thomas Frank Arkinstall's WW1 service record. There is a misfiled medical report in it that belongs to another Thomas Frank Arkinstall from Castlemaine Victoria.

The other one from Castlemaine was ten years younger and was getting married to someone named Doris, at the same time as Lt Thomas Frank Arkinstall from Inverall married to Gwendoline Ivy Thomas.

Maybe NSW police got them confused too, and mistakenly wrote off the missing persons case as bigamy?

Last edited:
Missing person - Presumed dead.
Never found. Last see by family early 1930's.

Thomas Frank Arkinstall, born Inverall NSW 18/7/1887

This would make Somerton Man 61 years old (if he's Arkinstall).

Should I mention that his ex wife and all his descendants have ASIO files? Every one of them.

I did post a photo, but I found out that it was someone else. Have yet to find a photo.

Here is Lt Thomas Frank Arkinstall's WW1 service record. There is a misfiled medical report in it that belongs to another Thomas Frank Arkinstall from Castlemaine Victoria.

The other one from Castlemaine was ten years younger and was getting married to someone named Doris, at the same time as Lt Thomas Frank Arkinstall from Inverall married to Gwendoline Ivy Thomas.

Maybe NSW police got them confused too, and mistakenly wrote off the missing persons case as bigamy?

What stood out for me with Lt Thomas Frank Arkinstall from Inverall is his description in his enlistment paperwork.

Ginger hair
5ft8
Blue eyes.

I really want to see a photo.

Too bad, Mark Aarons didn't put one in his book "Family File"

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back