Tame Impala - Currents (2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is really, reallly good! Only started listening today, still too early to form a proper opinion, but I can see this being an album I can play repeatedly without getting tried of it. Yes I'm changing and eventually are classics so far.

Good album. It feels like a grower too, as do their older ones. Lonerism still gets better for me every time I listen to it

One criticism I have of it is that there are too many little interlude half song sort of things. Disciples in particular feels like it could be building into a great song, then it just sort of stops

It labours a little around then. Past Life is probably the weakest song in my opinion, and to follow it with Disciples just doesn't quite do it for me.

Other than that though it's pretty terrific. Let It Happen and Eventually are two of their best songs, and the last three songs are brilliant, especially after the three that precede them.

Let It Happen and Eventually are by far the best songs on the album for me. Reality In Motion is pretty good and as others have said Disciples could have so much better if it was longer

I'd say

Inner 6/10-1 highlight track
Loner 7/10-2 highlight tracks
Current 7/10-3 highlight tracks

That's pretty good for modern music but I wouldn't buy the albums. I only pay for old stuff

Last edited:
I finally listened to the album in full last night for the first time and I was really underwhelmed, especially after how excited I was hearing Let It Happen and Eventually (which are great tracks). But I wanted to give it another chance in a different setting, so I tried it on headphones when I was at work this morning and it seemed much, much, MUCH better!

There is certainly some filler and I'm not sure I like it as much as Lonerism after the first couple of spins, but it could be a grower.

Either way, I respect that he is going off in his own direction and not caring about the inevitable backlash of it not being guitar-y enough. He is obviously a very talented dude and I think 3 really high-quality albums indicates that he'll be a legend of Australian music when he finishes up. I just kinda have this feeling that he hasn't done his masterpiece yet.

First two are classics? I think you mean the first two rip off classics. There's not an ounce of individuality or uniqueness to their sound. They sound like every big psych rock band your dad liked. They're also massive twats.

s**t band.

ahahaha /mu/ lurker per chance? only other place ive seen edgy hate for tame impala

ur wrong too tame impala is rad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy likes it.

http://www.thirtysummers.com/tame-impala-currents-album-review/
Australia’s own Tame Impala have over the last few years been lauded worldwide as masters and saviours of psychedelic rock and pop. The first two albums are acid tinged journeys into aural wonderlands powered chiefly by the incredible song writing and production of main man, Kevin Parker.

Who cares if it's original? We should be applauding artists making a living these days doing what they love to do.

You're always taking a risk at hitting the right mark at the right time.
I don't think Oasis, cared too much for all the comparisons they were hit with. :)

It's not exactly as though Tame Impala are plagiarizing either and to say that they haven't any solid tunes is.........silly and blatantly untrue. Good album.

It's not bad. At least Kev's trying to evolve rather than peddle out the same psych retro crap. Some great lyrics on this album too about breaking up, moving on, growing up etc. 7/10 but not a patch on the debut.

First two are classics? I think you mean the first two rip off classics. There's not an ounce of individuality or uniqueness to their sound. They sound like every big psych rock band your dad liked. They're also massive twats.

s**t band.
Name one Beatles song they have ripped off?

Or does the fact they play psych rock mean they rip off every band that came before them in that genre?

You need to learn the difference between ripping someone off and being inspired by someone

Remove this Banner Ad

Back