Teams Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Pewter Pirates

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Brady should take a page from the Aaron Rodgers playbook and speak his mind

Posted by Mike Florio on September 24, 2021, 12:09 PM EDT

Aaron Rodgers has had plenty to say in recent weeks. Although we reserve the right to disagree with the things he says, it’s great that Rodgers will say things directly. Clearly. With no one close to him speaking on his behalf.

Yes, Rodgers used a few surrogates during the offseason (James Jones, John Kuhn, e.g.). Ever since Rodgers showed up for training camp, he’s talking a blue streak now, Jack.

In contrast (and I have to give Chris Simms credit for raising this with me), Tom Brady has been sending messages through his father and, most recently, his trainer.

Consider Alex Guerrero’s eyebrow-raising quote to the Boston Herald. “The interesting thing I think there — and this is just me, an outsider looking in — it was like Bill [Belichick] never really . . . I think his emotions or feelings never evolved with age. I think in time, with Tom, as Tom got into his late 30s or early 40s, I think Bill was still trying to treat him like that 20-year-old kid that he drafted. And all the players, I think, realized Tom was different. He’s older, so he should be treated differently. And all the players, none of them would have cared that he was treated differently. I think that was such a Bill thing. He never evolved. So you can’t treat someone who’s in his 40s like they’re 20. It doesn’t work.”

The preface by Guerrero — that he’s an “outsider looking in” — is laughable. As far as Brady is concerned, he’s as inside as it gets. Guerrero is Brady’s long-time trainer. Guerrero is Brady’s TB12 business partner. Guerrero is the godfather of Brady’s son.

Guerrero’s words surely match Brady’s thoughts. But there’s no way, in the days preceding Brady’s Week Four return to New England, that Brady will say what Guerrero said. Asked about Guerrero’s comments on Thursday, Brady said positive things about playing in New England and adroitly attributed Guerrero’s remarks to him being “protective” of Brady.

So is Guerrero being “protective” by embellishing or fabricating, or is he saying exactly what Brady believes? I’d bet on the latter.

Indeed, Brady has said he rarely speaks his mind. And that’s fine. But if he has something to say about Belichick (and clearly he does), Brady should do what Rodgers is doing: say it directly, and not through a family member or a close friend.

Brady won’t do it. And he doesn’t need to, not with Guerrero ready, willing, and able to say the things Brady won’t say.

Florio loves Rodgers?

Buccaneers remove Jon Gruden from Ring of Honor
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 12, 2021, 5:55 PM EDT

Jon Gruden was the first head coach ever to win a Super Bowl with the Buccaneers, but the franchise no longer views him worthy of a place in its Ring of Honor.

Less than 24 hours after Gruden resigned as head coach of the Raiders over years-old offensive emails, the Buccaneers announced that Gruden will no longer be in their Ring of Honor.

“The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have advocated for purposeful change in the areas of race relations, gender equality, diversity and inclusion for many years. While we acknowledge Jon Gruden’s contributions on the field, his actions go against our core values as an organization. Therefore, he will no longer continue to be a member of the Buccaneers Ring of Honor,” the team said in a statement.

With a career record of 57-55, Gruden won more games than any other head coach in Buccaneers franchise history.

Bucs negotiate return of Tom Brady’s 600th TD ball that Mike Evans gave away

Posted by Charean Williams on October 24, 2021, 6:56 PM EDT

Mike Evans caught Tom Brady‘s 600th, 601st and 602nd career touchdown passes. The Buccaneers receiver gave the footballs to fans in the stands as he routinely does.

Evans, though, didn’t realize his 9-yard touchdown catch from Brady was a milestone touchdown pass for Brady, who holds the NFL record.

Byron Kennedy, 29, was the fan who received the handoff from Evans on Brady’s 600th touchdown football, per Joey Knight of The Tampa Bay Times. Kennedy, a resident of internal medicine at Largo Medical Center, was wearing an Evans jersey on the front row of the end zone.

After scoring the touchdown, Evans initially dropped it in the end zone. Kennedy yelled, “Big Mike,” and Evans picked up the ball and handed it to Kennedy.

Evans appeared incredulous when a Bucs staffer told the receiver what he had done, and the Bucs quickly approached Kennedy about getting back the football.
I was hesitant to give it back,” Kennedy told Knight.

Ken Goldin, founder of Goldin Auctions, indicated on Twitter the football might go for $500,000. The ball from Brady’s first touchdown pass, to Terry Glenn in an October 2001 game against the Chargers, went for $428,842 at a Lelands auction this summer.

Kennedy, though, traded Brady’s 600th touchdown ball for a different ball and more promised goodies from the Bucs.
“I knew how much it meant to Tom,” Kennedy said, “and I was willing to trade.”

Brady does like to keep some memorabilia ...

Tom Brady happy to have back the football from his 600th career touchdown

Posted by Charean Williams on October 24, 2021, 8:57 PM EDT

The football that Tom Brady threw for his 600th career touchdown likely is worth $500,000. His first touchdown pass, to Terry Glenn in an October 2001 game against the Chargers, sold for $428,842 at auction this summer.

To the Buccaneers quarterback, it’s priceless.

The Bucs had to negotiate the return of the milestone ball after receiver Mike Evans unknowingly gave it away to a fan.
“That was really cool. I’ve got it in the bag over there,” Brady said postgame. “Mike gave it away. He goes, ‘I’m sorry, man. I’m sorry.’ I said, ‘I’m sure they’ll find a way to get it back.’ I don’t actually keep too many things. In that circumstance, I felt like that might be a good one to keep.”

Byron Kennedy, 29, was the fan who received the handoff from Evans. Kennedy told Joey Knight of The Tampa Bay Times he couldn’t say no to Brady.
Kennedy received a different game ball and will receive other compensation from the Bucs and Brady.

“That’s pretty cool. That’s pretty cool,” Brady said. “He’s going to get something nice in return. We’ll get him a helmet or a couple of jerseys or some other stuff. It was really cool for him to do that.”

Brady threw four touchdown passes Sunday, the final three to Evans, increasing his NFL record to 602 career touchdown passes.

Evans apologized on Twitter, writing, “Sorry big bro glad that priceless legendary item was retrieved.”

Vale CoachEmUpChucky who suddenly passed yesterday

Ben is an avid Bucs fan, an integral part of why the Australia/NZ Tampa Bay Buccaneers Fan Page has grown so much the last 4 years and most heartbreakingly a good friend.

Although not extraordinarily active on here, this is where I met Ben, I will always be grateful for this group for connecting the two of us.

Mike Evans gave away the football to a fan earlier this season after catching Tom Brady‘s 600th career touchdown pass. The Bucs receiver knew to keep the ball from his own record-setting score.

Evans caught a 5-yard touchdown pass from Brady with 7:31 remaining in the third quarter. It completed a 10-play, 74-yard drive.

It was the 72nd career touchdown for Evans, breaking the all-time team record for touchdowns. Mike Alstott had 71 in his career.

Evans is one of only two active players in the league who owns a team’s career touchdowns mark. His current teammate, Rob Gronkowski, scored a franchise-record 80 touchdowns for the Patriots from 2010-18.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Antonio Brown is one of three players to be disciplined for misrepresenting their Covid-19 vaccination status.

The 33-year-old, who helped the Bucs win Super Bowl 55 in February, has been suspended for three games.

Tampa Bay safety Mike Edwards and free agent John Franklin III, who was waived by the Bucs in August, have been handed the same sanction.

All three players have waived their right of appeal, the NFL said.

Lol
1aa26c320cefc8f15452f09ea4abda66.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bucs signed DT Vita Vea to a four-year, $73 million extension through 2026.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the deal includes $42 million guaranteed. Vea had been heading into his $7.638 team option year with no agreement beyond 2022. Vea was old for a first-round pick when the Bucs made him the No. 12 overall selection in 2018, but he immediately lived up to his pre-draft billing as a pro-ready prospect. He has been one of the league's best interior linemen each of the past four seasons. His absence was felt when he missed much of 2020 with a broken leg. He's dealt with other minor injury issues, but 2020 was the only time he missed more than three contests. This is a no-brainer extension for the Bucs.

Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady added another one to his large collection of NFL records today.

Brady completed 29 passes in today’s win over the Panthers, bringing him to a season total of 485 completions. That’s a new NFL record. The previous record was 471 completions in a season, set by Drew Brees in 2016.

Brees, of course, set his record in a 16-game season, and Brady broke it in the 17th game of this season, so Brees’ record is arguably more impressive. Brady’s per-game average of 28.5 completions a game this season is not as good as Brees’ mark of 29.5 completions a game in 2016.

Although Brady has led the NFL in many statistical categories through the years, the 2021 season was the first time in Brady’s career that he has led the NFL in completions

From a podcast ...

Maybe wants Leftwich as HC?

Reddit comments......

------

Starts at the 31:52 mark.

Jimmy Stewart has been right on a ton of Brady and Celtics stuff, he very clearly has a family friend who is insanely tied into both circles. Had Brady to the Bucs first, Kyrie to the Celtics, had the Brady/Bill fight after the Eagles Super Bowl right, etc.

The guy simply doesn't miss and it's always on huge news.

P.S. Don't shoot the messenger!

----

This is total bullshit he misses and often. He has been on the Myles turner to Celtics train for years, and he kept saying Westbrook and griffin were coming to the celts. He’s been wrong in my experience more than he’s right

----

Stewart thinks Brady is frustrated by having to run the offense himself and Bruce not really pulling his wait game plan wise.

Wants someone on his mental level to help out.

----

It’s odd he’d be frustrated with Arians because Arians doesn’t gameplan, Leftwich does. Leftwich is the one who has always ran the offence, BA just reviews a game plan afterwards and might make some suggestions, and everyone’s known about this for a while. Like it was never BAs role to gameplan for the bucs, so I’m just kinda confused why Brady is just now getting frustrated by this.

Rob Gronkowski moving up the all-time playoff receiving record lists

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 20, 2022, 11:55 AM EST

Buccaneers tight end Rob Gronkowski is already one of the most productive receivers in NFL postseason history, and he’s not done yet.

In the Bucs’ wild-card round win over the Eagles, Gronkowski moved ahead of Reggie Wayne into No. 3 in NFL history with 94 receptions in the postseason. Only Jerry Rice (151 career postseason catches) and Julian Edelman (118) have more.

And in Sunday’s game against the Rams, Gronkowski is almost certain to move into third place all-time for postseason receiving yards.

Gronkowski currently has 1,304 receiving yards in his postseason career. Michael Irvin is currently third with 1,315 career postseason receiving yards, so Gronk needs just 12 yards on Sunday to surpass Irvin. With a very big game, Gronk could also surpass Edelman, who’s No. 2 all-time with 1,442 postseason receiving yards.

Jerry Rice has the all-time record with 2,245 postseason receiving yards. Rice’s record is out of reach.

Gronkowski is No. 2 in NFL history with 15 postseason touchdown passes. Only Rice, with 22, has more.

Gronk has had one of the best playoff careers in NFL history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back