Teams Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Pewter Pirates

Remove this Banner Ad

Rob Gronkowski said he would consider returning to the Bucs in 2022 if Tom Brady retires.​

"I'll never throw anything off the board," Gronkowski said Monday, a day after Tampa's wrenching Divisional Round loss to the Rams. Gronkowski, who has said he would never play with a quarterback besides Brady, is signed through the 2025 season, and will be a $5 million cap hit in 2022. Gronk's fantasy appeal would wane next year if he continues with Tampa without the Gronk soothsayer Brady. There's also a matter of age: Gronkowski will be 33 in May.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter
Jan 24, 2022, 11:38 AM ET

If Byron Leftwich leaves, Bruce Arians may take over playcalling in Tampa

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2022, 12:16 PM EST

It’s unclear whether Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady will be back in 2022. It’s also unclear whether Buccaneers offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich will return next season.

If Leftwich gets a head-coaching job, who will call the plays in Tampa Bay? Coach Bruce Arians hinted that it may be him.

“There would be a really good chance [of me calling plays], yes,” Arians said Monday, via JoeBucsFan.com.

Arians has delegated plenty of work to Leftwich and defensive coordinator Todd Bowles since emerging from his second retirement in 2019. If Brady stays, calling plays becomes easier.

If Brady goes, well, that changes everything.

They'll blow the roster up, top players will trade out or the free agents sign elsewhere, maybe even Arians gone, a rebuild of sorts.....if Brady leaves.

Just seems like there is a bit of discontent behind the scenes and has been for a few weeks. A few incidents seem to be pointing that way. Bit of a power play between Brady and Arians maybe? Now Arians saying he may be calling the plays himself. Brady’s language seems to leaning toward retirement

Just seems like there is a bit of discontent behind the scenes and has been for a few weeks. A few incidents seem to be pointing that way. Bit of a power play between Brady and Arians maybe? Now Arians saying he may be calling the plays himself. Brady’s language seems to leaning toward retirement
Agree. There was a rumor i posted about weeks ago, a boston source in the Brady outer circle who said there is a power play going on.

Plus, arians lost his authority when brady got his way with AB originally signed, and then still kept on roster after the vax card incident. Both times Arians stamped his foot, both times he was overruled

Agree. There was a rumor i posted about weeks ago, a boston source in the Brady outer circle who said there is a power play going on.

Plus, arians lost his authority when brady got his way with AB originally signed, and then still kept on roster after the vax card incident. Both times Arians stamped his foot, both times he was overruled

Yeah that’s the impression I got as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pro Football Network sources report that there is a "major exodus expected" from Tampa Bay following Tom Brady's retirement.​

Looking slightly beyond the surface, this shouldn't be too surprising. It seems probable that Rob Gronkowski follows Brady into retirement. Gronkowski, WR Chris Godwin, C Ryan Jensen, and CB Carlton Davis are all unrestricted free agents. Head coach Bruce Arians has reportedly told his staff that they are free to look for other jobs around the league regardless of whether it's a promotion or not. The Bucs got a Super Bowl ring, but the future looks incredibly grim without Brady. This team could look completely different next season.
SOURCE: Pro Football Network
Jan 29, 2022, 3:40 PM ET

I still think id rather us be a disgrace and win less games than the Texans than be Jonestown 2.0, just saying, thats as positive as it gets being a Panthers fan heading into 2022. Rhue will be fired eventually, Easterby will be around for the foreseeable future.

Jason Licht: We’re not crowning Kyle Trask, but we feel fortunate to have him

Posted by Myles Simmons on February 2, 2022, 9:36 AM EST

The Buccaneers no longer have Tom Brady, with the quarterback officially announcing his retirement on Tuesday.

But the club did draft a potential successor last year in second-round pick Kyle Trask. He was on clipboard duty throughout the 2021 season as the club’s third quarterback behind Blaine Gabbert. But General Manager Jason Licht said on Tuesday that the club was very excited about Trask’s development in his first season.

“No one wants to be in a position where they don’t have a quarterback and we feel very fortunate,” Licht said on a conference call. “We’re not crowning Kyle as the heir apparent yet, but we feel very fortunate that we got him when we did last year because where he stacks up with quarterbacks in this year’s draft, [and] everybody’s going to have their own opinion, but I feel pretty good about where he stacks up with these quarterbacks. So, I feel like we made a good decision last year.”

Trask threw for 7,386 yards and 69 touchdowns in three seasons at Florida with 15 interceptions. He then completed 53 percent of his passes in the 2021 preseason for 312 yards with one touchdown and two picks.

Given Trask’s year of experience in the offense, Licht said he doesn’t think the Bucs have to speed up Trask’s development.

“I think we have him on a good track right now,” Licht said. “He’s been well coached and he’s had unbelievable resources to lean on to get to where he is right now. We’ll see where that goes. We don’t want to rush anybody, but I couldn’t think of a better experience for a young quarterback to spend his rookie year than with the greatest player of all time.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back