Teams Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Pewter Pirates

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bucs waived 2016 second-round K Roberto Aguayo.

Aguayo will go down as one of the worst second-round picks in history, especially since Tampa traded up to get him. At least the Bucs didn't fall into a sunk-cost pit. Not ready for prime-time right from the start, Aguayo struggled last preseason before converting just 71 percent of his attempts and missing two extra points as a rookie. Aguayo's fate was sealed after he claimed to be "unlucky" to miss a PAT and a field goal in Friday's preseason opener. Clearly in need of time to clear his head, Aguayo will likely slip through waivers unclaimed.
Related: Buccaneers

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter
Aug 12 - 12:18 PM

Picked up by Chicago

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pewter Report’s Scott Reynolds believes there’s "interest on both sides" between the Bucs and Jon Gruden.

Gruden has been broadcasting with ESPN since getting fired from Tampa in 2008. He’s turned down multiple offers from teams, but hasn’t ruled out a return to coaching. With Dirk Koetter on the hot seat, it’s possible the Bucs reunite with Gruden after the season. Tampa has a franchise quarterback in Jameis Winston and a playoff-caliber roster. There are behind-the-scene rumors the Bucs are the job Gruden wants.

Source: Pewter Report

---------------------------------

Multiple league sources tell The Ringer’s Mike Lombardi that Bucs coach Dirk Koetter’s job is in jeopardy.

"I think we can officially put Dirk Koetter on the hot seat. Nobody outside the NFL is talking about it, but everybody I talk to in the NFL is and they think it’s going to end up being over for Koetter if he doesn’t get this turned around." The Bucs have lost 5-of-6 games and are averaging nine points over the last three weeks. It’s a huge disappointment given Tampa’s roster and expectations going into the season. Barring a strong finish, Koetter looks unlikely to be back in 2018.

Source: The Ringer NFL Show

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Jameis Winston's relationship with Buccaneers coach Dirk Koetter is "not in a good place."

Per Rapsheet, Winston didn't feel the organization fully supported him throughout his shoulder injury and has also grown frustrated with the team's play-calling, feeling the offense has become too predictable. Coming off a franchise record 28 touchdown passes in 2016, Winston has taken a noticeable step back this year, averaging a career-low 243.3 passing yards per game while watching Tampa Bay fall out of the NFC playoff hunt. Koetter could be out of a job soon if the Bucs' struggles continue over the final month.

Source: Ian Rapopport on Twitter

CoachEmUpChucky

Senior List
Apr 15, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Liverpool FC
Gruden's asking price is extraordinary.
Koetter staying in Tampa and will continue calling plays on offense.
Lots of deadwood to be cut loose in the offseason.
Sigh.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Happy with the Bucs opener.

The offense looks unstoppable.

The defense needs work, particularly on the defensive line!! They can't get off a block to save their lives. They aren't handfighting to keep their chests clean, so the Saints were controlling them all day, but we often had two or three rookies playing in the secondary at the same time. We clearly missed Grimes and the DL is still a work in progress.

Buckner has a stack of work to do though.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Bucs now 2-0 after beating two playoff teams from last season, including the defending Super Bowl champions :)

Offense is explosive (2 Weeks 800+ Yards 8 PASS TDs and 1 Rush TDs ... defence was playing very loose after leading by 20. We have two rookie corners who are shouldering a heavy load in pass defense, as well as a rookie safety that was playing alot after Conte went down.

It was reassuring that our pass rush finally got home today though!

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bucs now 2-0 after beating two playoff teams from last season, including the defending Super Bowl champions :)

Offense is explosive (2 Weeks 800+ Yards 8 PASS TDs and 1 Rush TDs ... defence was playing very loose after leading by 20. We have two rookie corners who are shouldering a heavy load in pass defense, as well as a rookie safety that was playing alot after Conte went down.

It was reassuring that our pass rush finally got home today though!
I was just checking the rest of the Division and saw your scoreline Mits... looks like another year where the NFC South is a pick 'em. Great to see and (except for last week *grumble grumble*) well done!!

Dont let Jameis ruin the momentum, keep him clipboard holder and say bye bye to him at the end of the season. :thumbsu:

Draft a QB next year.

I was just checking the rest of the Division and saw your scoreline Mits... looks like another year where the NFC South is a pick 'em. Great to see and (except for last week *grumble grumble*) well done!!
Gee, the people you bump into on other boards... ;)

As a new Buccs fan, I gotta say I wasn't expecting much. The first two games have been pleasantly surprising.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Dont let Jameis ruin the momentum, keep him clipboard holder and say bye bye to him at the end of the season. :thumbsu:

Draft a QB next year.

All jokes aside, while I didn't want us to draft a QB with that #1 overall pick in 2015 (I was in the trade back camp), we did. So I don't think I'd be ready to give up on a promising, and very talented, 24 year old QB with maturity issues that still has a year plus an option year left on his contract to boot.

In saying that though .. I'd be happy to take Justin Herbert (Oregon) , good size and what he apparently lacks in vision he makes up for in ball placement.

So, 3 questions.

1. Is this promising start just a fluke, or is it indicative of the Buccaneers having turned a corner. Does their strong start change expectations for how they'll go this year?

2. Is it simply too early to determine that? Or is there enough in the way they're playing to suggest they'll be much improved?

3. If this does represent a change, how do we explain a team going from 5 wins all last season, to now this?

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
So, 3 questions.

1. Is this promising start just a fluke, or is it indicative of the Buccaneers having turned a corner. Does their strong start change expectations for how they'll go this year?

2. Is it simply too early to determine that? Or is there enough in the way they're playing to suggest they'll be much improved?

3. If this does represent a change, how do we explain a team going from 5 wins all last season, to now this?

Probably too early to state definitely whether or not the start is a fluke or if the team has turned the corner ... but IMO the Bucs Offense is the best in the league and has more weapons than in previous seasons.

Defense needs a bit of work though!

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Nice to be back on Prime Time this week!

The Steelers may be 0-1-1, but they can absolutely light it up on offense. It will be a big test for our young secondary and we'll need to see a big game from the Defensive line if we hope to limit them.

We don't normally put a specific CB on a specific WR under Mike Smith, but I think MJ is well suited for JuJu. The Steelers play out of 11 (3WR) personnel more than most so MJ will see a ton of snaps at Nickeback.

I just think we'll have to outscore the Steelers in a shootout in this game if we hope to win, which I think is possible given how poor the Steelers are in the coverage. They don't have a CB that can match-up with Mike Evans and their ILBs and Safeties won't be able to cover Howard or Godwin. If our Offebsive line holds up like they have the first two game there will be plenty of options/match-ups to exploit against the Steelers.

I think we'll see 800 yds passing in this game and total points around 75-80.

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
What could have been.... We still could have won this game after all those turnovers. This gives me hope.

I think Fitz starts week 4. But on a short leash I would imagine after giving up a horrible pick 6 that no veteran should throw.... He still threw for 411 Yards .

Despite the loss, watching the comeback (down 30-10 at half time) this Bucs team is for real , bunch of players had a bad game and we still almost pulled it off!

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Awful game to watch this morning.

No effort, pathetic play calling. Not surprised that the Bears shredded our defensive set up.

It seems that the best remedy for a struggling NFL QB is to play the Bucs defense. Last week Tribusky was apparantly a hack and Chicago fans wanted to run him out of town. This morning he looked like Tom Brady.

Awful game to watch this morning.

No effort, pathetic play calling. Not surprised that the Bears shredded our defensive set up.

It seems that the best remedy for a struggling NFL QB is to play the Bucs defense. Last week Tribusky was apparantly a hack and Chicago fans wanted to run him out of town. This morning he looked like Tom Brady.
Winston in. Thoughts? Fitzpatrick had been impressive in the first few games.

Koetter's job is on the line, and he's coaching very reactionary because of it. Pulling Fitz for Jameis despite it being his D causing all the issues was fairly laughable.

Must be fun for a QB who has absolutely no run game to lean on along with a D getting shredded on a weekly basis, allowing the likes of the Bears pass rush to tee off at will knowing damn well the QB will be dropping back to pass on 95% of plays.

No balance = No future. Bucs will rack up some big scores and play in some fun games this year but they aren't a playoff team. The game style is not sustainable. New HC and DC incoming.

Back