Teams Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Pewter Pirates

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts and prayers for a safe surgery for the GOAT

Tom Brady will undergo minor knee surgery.
Bucs head coach Bruce Arians described the surgery as a "clean up." There's no indication Brady will miss parts of the team's offseason program, though knee surgery for a 43-year-old quarterback should raise an eyebrow or two. Brady has said he fully intends to defend the Bucs Super Bowl title in 2021.
SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter
Feb 11, 2021, 4:11 PM ET

Man, if he played like he played on Sunday needing surgery, look out NFL.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Buccaneers signed Tom Brady to a one-year contact extension.
The extension saves the Buccaneers $19 million against the cap this year and locks in Brady for the next two seasons. Brady has long said he wants to play into his mid-40s, and this extension would get him to his age-45 season. No QB since at least 1950 has started an NFL game at 45 years old. With Chris Godwin staying put after being franchise tagged and Rob Gronkowski long refusing to play with any QB but Brady, the Bucs will have the band back for 2021 -- and beyond.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 12, 2021, 10:27 AM ET

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Brady is expected to resuming throwing after undergoing knee surgery in February.
The 43-year-old Brady described the procedure as “pretty serious knee surgery” during a podcast appearance this week. Knee pain, Brady said, prevented him from working on parts of his game during the season. "Every week I was kind of tending to my knee, and I thought I would love to see a season where I can focus on some other strength stuff that I want to do, some other technique stuff where I’m not just focused on protecting my knee all the time," he said. Brady added that he struggled to learn the team's playbook; he used a wrist band to remember play calls in Bruce Arians' complex offense. His unfamiliarity hardly showed, as Brady threw for the fifth most yards in his career to go along with 40 touchdowns, the second most in his 20 NFL seasons. With a year of experience in Tampa's system and a repaired knee, the ageless one could be even better in 2021.
SOURCE: TampaBay.com
May 14, 2021, 8:03 AM ET

Development — And Loss — Of The 2008 Brett Favre Trade To Tampa Bay Revealed
May 19th, 2021

It’s the almost-happened Buccaneers trade that painfully slipped away.
And perhaps it represented a lost Lombardi Trophy for Tampa Bay that, per a new revelation, could have been had for very little.

Joe will flash you back to the 2008 offseason, when the NFC South champion Bucs supposedly had a done deal to bring Packers quarterback Brett Favre to Tampa for a draft pick.

Chucky would have been reunited with his old quarterback student, who still was ballin’ at 38 years old.

But the deal disintegrated at the 11th hour for reasons that were never quite made clear — until last night.

In 2008, former Bucs rock star general manager Mark Dominik was the right-hand man/pro personnel director for Bucs GM Bruce Allen. But it was Dominik who was in charge of leading the Favre trade talks, he explained last night on SiriusXM NFL Radio.

Dominik said he was ordered by Allen to call Packers front-office executive John Schneider (now the Seahawks GM) to feel out a Favre trade. And simultaneously, per Dominik, then-Packers GM Ted Thompson wanted Schneider to deal with Dominik on a potential deal.

The GM’s (Allen and Thompson), per Dominik, wanted no part of talks because they desired to tell media honestly (dishonestly?) that they never spoke about trading Favre.
In some circles, this is known as “plausible deniability.”

Negotiations marched along beautifully before the Jets swooped in and got Favre for a conditional fourth-round pick that would become a third-rounder if Favre took 50 percent of total snaps with the Jets in 2008.
Favre playing 70 percent of the snaps — and the Jets making the playoffs (which they didn’t) — would have made it a second-round pick. A Super Bowl win for the Jets with Favre would have seen the pick become a first-rounder.

“[The deal] was over [for the Jets] a half-dozen times,” then-Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said of Favre trade negotiations years later.

Somewhere in between Tannenbaum’s final offer and the Bucs clinging too tightly to their draft picks, Tampa Bay lost the trade. And that reality appears to makes Dominik a little nauseous to this day.

If you love Bucs history, soak in Dominik’s chatter below.

”The only thing that I think we did wrong, is we probably could have offered a little bit more juice [as trade compensation] if [Favre] won the Super Bowl [with Tampa Bay] or if he won two playoff games [with Tampa Bay,] Dominik explained.
“I think if we would have done that, I think Brett Favre might have been a Buc. But the Jets came in out of nowhere [with general manager Mike Tannenbaum] and offered. And I think someone panicked, whether it was [Favre’s agent] Bus [Cook] or Brett, and wasn’t sure if it was the right fit. I think it was Bus Cook because Brett and Jon were pretty tight. And I just look back and go, ‘I don’t know what would have happened to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers if we’d have gotten Brett Favre. But knowing how great [Gruden] is with veteran quarterbacks and what he can get out of them, I just think my life would have been way different. The Bucs would have been a different organization.’
“You know, it’s almost nauseating. Like, I appreciate that I became the Bucs GM the next year, but the reality is I probably shouldn’t have. Like if we’d had traded for Brett Favre, I probably could have been director of pro personnel for two ort three more years, and that would have been great by me. I was very comfortable; I loved working for Jon, I loved working for Bruce. I really did. I mean, they pushed me in a different way. And [Rams COO] Kevin Demoff was there and we had [former Dolphins general manager Dennis Hickey. We had a lot of [front office] people that were really good people.
”I look back on that and say if we had just upped our ante a little bit more, I wonder how many lives would be different than they are today, versus Brett going to the Jets and then Minnesota. Because we went 9-7 in 2008 without Brett Favre, and I gotta think we would have been 11-5 easily, if not better, with Brett Favre, and that would have been awesome to see.”
“… I think we had [the deal] if we had pushed the envelope a little bit more and given a little bit more. I think the thing Green Bay was worried about is we were the only club, and then [the Jets] came in out of nowhere. … I think the concern by Bruce [Allen] was we were bidding against ourselves; which is fine, I understand that. You don’t want to do that. But I think that’s where you up the ante looking back. Like, ‘If we win the Super Bowl, you can have a No. 1 draft pick.’ Who gives a *&^%? A Super Bowl, I’ll take it. Every day, I’ll trade a first-round pick for a Super Bowl.
“… I think we were just a little bit more on the, ‘I think we got’em’ — instead of, ‘Let’s make sure we got him.” … It comes back and haunts clubs all the time.”

Great and much-appreciated candor there from Dominik.

The standard chatter about the trade was the Packers pulled out on the Bucs because Thompson didn’t want Favre in the NFC. But the Bucs’ guy inside the deal sees it falling apart because the Bucs got cocky and wouldn’t cough up a better pick.

For the record, a year later, the Bucs dealt their 2009 second-round pick for a serial rapist now serving a 14-year prison sentence, a guy who also had a penchant for personal satisfaction in parking lots and pouting when he didn’t get the football.

Favre made the Pro Bowl with the ’08 Jets and had one of his best seasons a year later with the Vikings.

Bucs fans sure have endured a lot, which makes today’s Super Bowl champion powerhouse all the more satisfying and appreciated

Bucs QB Kyle Trask "impressed the coaching staff" with his knowledge of the playbook.
"He was throwing to the right guy. There were some disguised coverages he saw the first day, so I was really impressed with how he processes, and he was very accurate," coach Bruce Arians said after rookie minicamp. Trask has reportedly learned "70% of the playbook." Trask's rookie camp has the Bucs viewing him as Tom Brady's successor. The Bucs will have Trask sit behind Brady the next two seasons before potentially getting a chance to start in 2023.
SOURCE: ESPN
May 23, 2021, 11:42 AM ET

Bargain if he keeps his s**t together for a other year.

Antonio Brown received a $1.1 million base salary with a $2 million signing bonus. He can earn $900,000 in per-game roster bonuses with player and team improvement attached in some stats. He'll earn $333,333 for 50 receptions, $333,334 for 70 receptions, $333,333 for 600 yards, $333,334 for 800 yards, $333,333 for five touchdowns, $333,333 for seven touchdowns and $250,000 for a Super Bowl win while active and 45 percent playing time

Buccaneers re-signed GM Jason Licht to a contract extension.

The Glazer family also gifted coach Bruce Arians a pay raise onto his current deal. Licht initially had a club option available for 2023 but that will presumably be pushed down the road (or removed altogether) upon signing his extension. He'll likely be tied to the organization even beyond Arians' tenure, ensuring Licht is around for at least a decade-plus after joining the organization in 2014.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Jun 7, 2021, 2:59 PM ET

Buccaneers revised coach Bruce Arians' contract.

He'll remain under contract through the 2022 season but receive a pay raise upon signing the new deal. It's a generous reward from the Glazer family after the 68-year-old coach helped in obtaining the team's second Super Bowl win in franchise history. General Manager Jason Licht also agreed to a new deal that tacked on multiple years to his current one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back