News Tanking lid about to blow - Melbourne in the gun

Remove this Banner Ad

I just can't see the AFL giving the oldest footy club in the world the heave-ho from it's namesake.

The Tassie Devils certainly does have a great ring to it though...
It would be an extremely sad day for the Australian game of football if Melbourne were to die.

It would be an extremely sad day for the Australian game of football if Melbourne were to die.
I just can't see the AFL giving the oldest footy club in the world the heave-ho from it's namesake.

The Tassie Devils certainly does have a great ring to it though...
Melbourne FC won't die. A few careers of those associated with them might though.

Melbourne FC won't die. A few careers of those associated with them might though.

Spot on. Lose picks 4 and 13 in this draft and ban those involved anywhere from 2 years to life and that should send the message to any individual that this is not on. Problem solved.

Spot on. Lose picks 4 and 13 in this draft and ban those involved anywhere from 2 years to life and that should send the message to any individual that this is not on. Problem solved.

We're being told that there were 10-15 people "involved", which is a lot of suspensions.
Has any official (not player) ever been rubbed out for salary rorting?

We're being told that there were 10-15 people "involved", which is a lot of suspensions.

Yeah well so be it. Won't affect the demons totally as a lot have moved on. 2 years for those at the bottom, life for Cameron or Connolly or whoever held the highest position. This would make everyone involved in the game question their involvement in such things from hereonin.

And the 2 first rounders received for Scully should be effectively wiped clean, these being roughly equivalent to 4 and 13 of this years draft. Does not overly punish the club as such, and especially the supporters.

And as our demolition of Melbourne down here effectively started the ball rolling on this one, we move up two spots and get rewarded with another Menzel. Happy days :)

Yeah well so be it. Won't affect the demons totally as a lot have moved on. 2 years for those at the bottom, life for Cameron or Connolly or whoever held the highest position. This would make everyone involved in the game question their involvement in such things from hereonin.

And the 2 first rounders received for Scully should be effectively wiped clean, these being roughly equivalent to 4 and 13 of this years draft. Does not overly punish the club as such, and especially the supporters.

And as our demolition of Melbourne down here effectively started the ball rolling on this one, we move up two spots and get rewarded with another Menzel. Happy days :)

My point really was that if they go after everyone involved, it's going to be an awfully long series of hearings and, in the case of all those now elsewhere, it's going to be the innocent clubs being penalised.
Though I still think one of the funniest things that ever happened was Carlton losing Williams for 1/2 a season because Sydney had paid him under the table.

If I understand correctly... I read that as ~10 people at the club involved in "the vault" - mostly coaches and management. Could be wrong.

Would a 'non-finalist/bottom half' draft lottery go some way toward a solution, in preference to handing out gifts to those under-performing/failing clubs who best stretch the rules? Other than a 2 division comp. with relegation and reward, I'm scratching the noodle.

i'm not a fan of a lottery system. what i'd love to see though is the draft order finalised at, say, round 14. most teams would still be in finals contention and wouldn't contemplate doing anything other than winning games at that time of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the bottom 4 teams have their own finals series and battle it out for the right to gain top draft picks, you'd actually see them trying and be a great spectacle with so much at stake for the future of the club (top talent)

I reckon the bottom 4 teams have their own finals series and battle it out for the right to gain top draft picks, you'd actually see them trying and be a great spectacle with so much at stake for the future of the club (top talent)
Interesting idea, but then you might just get tanking to drop into the bottom 4.

i'm not a fan of a lottery system. what i'd love to see though is the draft order finalised at, say, round 14. most teams would still be in finals contention and wouldn't contemplate doing anything other than winning games at that time of year.
Not a past fan of lottery systems either, but the idea is rapidly growing on me.

I think the focus needs to be on eradicating the option and enticement to 'tank'. Any straight-forward bottom>top draft process leaves that cherry available to clubs in a rebuilding phase, whether the draft be around mid-year or end-of-year. An end-of-season lottery for teams finishing 11>18 would go a long way toward solving this problem.

Somewhere there is an answer, possibly better than each of ours. The AFL need to find a sound solution, quickly. They have created a system whereby club administrators are tempted to make irrational decisions in the hope they will go unnoticed.

Sadly, under this current administration, I fear little will change until members and fans start voting with their feet :(

This investigation is starting to grow legs now (that'll teach AD to skive off o/s in the middle of the season - I'll bet there wouldn't have been any investigation if he'd been here).
Some of the AFL's own tame Hun journos are starting to make more and more noise about CARLTON 2007.
Belting poor old Melbourne is one thing.
But putting Carlton back for another 5 years can only be good for football.

This investigation is starting to grow legs now (that'll teach AD to skive off o/s in the middle of the season - I'll bet there wouldn't have been any investigation if he'd been here).
Some of the AFL's own tame Hun journos are starting to make more and more noise about CARLTON 2007.
Belting poor old Melbourne is one thing.
But putting Carlton back for another 5 years can only be good for football.
Yes, yes and yes!

Where is the law?

I've never seen anything written that says a team must 'try' 100% to win every game.

Geelong doesn't try 100% to win every game.

Runners don't try 100% to win every race (heat) and that's fine. Badminton teams didn't try to win every match (heat) at the Olympics and were banned.

Surely the aim is the premiership and teams are able to do what they like within the rules to get there.

Exactly.

The elephant in the room - in this case a huge African bull elephant, with very big floppy ears - is that the AFL were the administrative body that rewarded teams for mediocrity in the first place. They instigated the priority picks - don't forget, wholeheartedly endorsed by the entire football media and a good chunk of the football public - and actively trumpeted St.Kilda, Hawthorn and Carlton are their flagships for equalisation and how you rebuild. To turn around now and try and punish a team for doing what they allowed in the first place is ridiculous.

Rule number one of competitive sport - teams will do whatever they can to take advantage of a given situation. Acting surprised or feigning outrage that teams take advantage of it is disingenuous to say the least.

I think the issue here is Melbourne simply took it too far.

I doubt they have acted very differently to a number of tanking clubs in the past decade but the extreme nature of their approach is what has landed them in hot water.

Still, I will be interested in how the AFL handles its own self created dilemma here.

I don't know why people are saying "strip them of picks 4 and 13". Melbourne no longer have 13, it was traded to GWS for Dom Barry and pick 20, which in turn was traded for Dawes.

The sensationalists will claim that they stand to lose Viney and/or Hogan, but in reality the worst that will be done is the loss of pick 4 and a monetary fine.

Hawthorn tanked :p
Their supporters hate it being brought up.

2003 they finish with 12 wins, 2004 only 4 wins o_O
From only two poor seasons of football they secured picks 2, 3, 5, 6, 6, 14.
Some of those players were Birchall, Roughead, Lewis, Franklin & Ellis and then all of a sudden they begin winning again.

can you imagine Geelong tanking in 2004 and 2005 and securing 5 top 10 draft picks :eek:

Thankfully we didn't and I reckon we never have either as our best opportunity was to do so at the end of the 90's when we had an aging list with very little depth and quality but we battled it out and were rewarded in time for not cheating.

can you imagine Geelong tanking in 2004 and 2005 and securing 5 top 10 draft picks :eek:

Thankfully we didn't and I reckon we never have either as our best opportunity was to do so at the end of the 90's when we had an aging list with very little depth and quality but we battled it out and were rewarded in time for not cheating.

I'd slightly rephrase it FS, the club wasn't rewarded as such, they simpled improved on their own and without any assistance. Which is how it should be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back