Opinion Tanking. The elephant that isn't going away

Remove this Banner Ad

My respect for Jack Darling just rose considerably.

No team has ever had any success by tanking.

You can't hide tanking from the players, they will know.

It ingrains something into the culture going forward that is really hard to remove. A culture where the players are ultra competitive, work hard, sacrifice and put bodies on the line does not eventuate in a team where they at any point don't play to win.

Clarkson knows it, that's why North had that big win.

That win was worth more to that club than pick 1. Pick 1 in hindsight compares to pick 2 in most drafts is much of a muchness anyway.

North go into next year and preseason believing that is what they are capable of, it means the players can see light at the end of the tunnel. They take that into preseason, that bit of belief and they train harder, they take things seriously, players on the move look at North that little more seriously, players who may have been thinking about leaving may just want to hang around now.

Looking back at Melbourne and Carlton who probably tanked in the past, they brought in talent, who they never developed properly. Some got traded out in the end, some never had more than 3 really good seasons, those teams went nowhere. Lessons learned. Culture is more important than talent.

Tom Scully would’ve been a top 10 mid in the competition if he didn’t have unlucky injuries, so that’s just wrong. He was the best 2 way runner in the AFL.

He averaged 17 games a season and that’s even with missing an entire year basically dragging his average down. He played plenty of football and was mediocre

Either way my point remains injured or not he wasn’t worth a top pick, you can’t see into the future, Harley Reid could be injury prone and never string 3 games together. Don’t tank because your winning culture is more important than hoping a kid is good.

He averaged 17 games a season and that’s even with missing an entire year basically dragging his average down. He played plenty of football and was mediocre

Either way my point remains injured or not he wasn’t worth a top pick, you can’t see into the future, Harley Reid could be injury prone and never string 3 games together. Don’t tank because your winning culture is more important than hoping a kid is good.

He was mediocre after his major career threatening injury that killed his biggest strength - speed and endurance.

Tonnes of star players end up mediocre after major injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still laugh it was called the kruezer cup and he was the prize, rather than the triple premiership captain who went 2 who actually did win cups.

I remember the Kruezer Cup mostly for being lectured by Carlton supporting mates at the time. "Will be better than Buddy"

Going back and checking the draft order based on your post reminded me of Cale Morton. And that's put me in a good mood!

076ln8.gif

I can’t believe Hutchy’s take on NMFC’s win, he actually condones tanking, why am I not surprised, he is a morally corrupt individual with a platform to spread his viral BS.

Yep Hutchison the second take.
I think Hutchy was right on the mark personally. They just had to orchestrate one more loss to get a truly generational talent.

No one will remember this spirited win against the Suns. Or if they do, it will be probably be for the club's stupidity when Harley is absolutely dominating the comp.

Guaranteed 350 game multiple-Brownlow winning "generational talent" Harley Reid available at Pick 1.
Two of the worst teams of all-time surrender their chance at picking him in successive weeks.

bigfooty: "buT wE nEeD a DraFt LotTerY!!!!!!!!!11!!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back