TAR Diary - Brisbane Lions

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
UQ AFC (My only true team)
Just got the game the other day, been playing it non-stop. Thought I might do one of those diaries that Lonie_from_50 and Pie4Life have done so well, but do Brisbane instead :p

I'll try my best to do an update once a day, but with college in full swing, numerous assignments due and overdue, no guarantees, so I'll try my best.

So here I go...

(Disclaimer: Story is fiction)

Leigh Mathews Retires

After years of success in Brisbane, Leigh Mathews has stepped down from his coaching career. After experiencing success with Collingwood and three-consecutive flags with the Lions, Mathews has decided to retire.

The Lions have signed little know Jim Chezwick on a two-year contract to rebuild the once dominating Lions, and hopefully restore them to their throwns as Modern Footballs superpower....

Staff Signups

Assistant Coach: Brian Royal

Highly expensive choice, but for good reason. The lowest he has is poor, for Match tactics, pre match planning and motivation. Everything else is rated as Excellent. Perfect choice for Assistant Coach.

Recruitment Officer: Kobe Tunesi

Very Good allround recruitment officer, nothing lower than GOOD, Excellent at rating Tall Backs.

Medical Staff: Louis Wathen

Very Good allround medical staff member.

Administration: Ian Fitzroy

Nice name :D Good alround, rated fair in club finances, Very Good in sponsership

Pre-Season Matches Coming Up Tonight

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NAB Cup Round One - Lions VS Richmond

Forwards: Spaanderman Bradshaw Brennan

Half-Forward: McGrath Brown Riscitelli

Centres: Power Akermanis Lappin

Half-Backs: Adcock Leppitsch Johnson

Backs: White Michael Merrett

On-Ball Keating Voss Black

Bench: Charman Ryswyk Copeland Notting

A more experienced unit built for a pre-season match. Less experience plays include Ryswyk, Merrett, Adcock and Brennan should all get a good game, especially sharing the field with most of the premiership players that remain today.

Conditions at the Gabba: 21 degrees, Overcast, No Wind

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Full Time - Brisbane Lions VS Richmond Tigers

Final Score

Brisbane Lions: 15 23 113
Richmond Tigers: 13 15 93

Goals

Lions:
4 Black, 3 A.McGrath, 2 J.Brown, 1 Rischitelli, Brennan. Keating, Bradshaw, Leppitsch, Notting

Richmond:
2 Jackson, 2 Richardson, 2 Tambling, 2 Schulz, 1 Newman, Simmonds, Chaffy

Best

Lions:
Black, Akermanis, McGrath

Tigers:
Schulz, Richardson, Coughlan

Injuries:

Lions:
Lappin (Broken Hand, 4 weeks), Copeland (Broken Arm, 5 weeks)

Tigers
Deledio (Broken Foot, 5 weeks)

Coaches Press Conference:

Inital Thoughts

Hard fought victory today. First half wasn't the best I know the team can play, and overall we need to improve on our goal accuracy. 10 Behinds and 0 goals in the second quarter is simply not acceptable. I told the boys that at half time, and clearly that got through to them all, not just the forwards, but the entire team. So overall I was pleased, but we can always improve.

Where we won the game

We dominated the inside 50's as well as the centre clearences. To a lesser extent, we got more free kicks that help. The third quater was definatly the clincher for us. They prevented us from scoring in the second half, so to kick 5 goals 3 to their 5 goals 6 behinds was definatly the clincher in the end.

Injury Front

We've lost Nigel Lappin and Copeland for the rest of the pre-season and slightly into the season. Nigel has broken his hand, and Robert has sadly broken his arm.

Next Game:

NAB Cup Quater Final

Brisbane Lions VS Carlton

Game will be up TONIGHT. Comments on match? Format of my diary? Much appreciate it

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions VS Carlton Blues
NAB Cup Quater Final

Conditions: Hot and Sunny, 30 degrees

Team Sheet for Brisbane

Forwards: Spaanderman Bradshaw Brennan

Half-Forwards: McGrath Brown Rischitelli

Centres: Power Akermanis Hadley

Half-Backs: Attard Leppitsch Scott, C

Backs: Johnson, C Michael White

Foll: McDonald, B Voss Black

Interchange: McLaren Moody Corrie Pike

A split between experience and youngens. Hoping for a good result against the blues.

Match report up shortly

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Full Time - Brisbane Lions VS Carlton Blues

Final Score

Brisbane Lions 23 20 158
Carlton Blues 16 6 102

Goals

Lions
5 M.Rischitelli, 4 D.Bradshaw, 3 J.Brown, 2 each for L. Spaanderman, A.McGrath, M.Voss, 1 each for S.Black, C.Scott, L.Power, R.Hadley, D.McLaren

Carlton
6 Whitnall, 2 each for J.Davis, A.Walker, 1 each for N.Stevens, B.Fisher, R.Houlihan, A.Deluca, J.Waite, B. Fevola

Best

Lions

J.Brown
M.Voss
L.Power
M.Rischitelli
S.Black

Carlton

J.Davies
L.Whitnall
D.Teague
A.Walker
B.Fevola

Injuries

None on either side

Coaches Press Conference

Inital Thoughts on the game

A better performance overall from last week. It was good consistant football, despite the Blues gettin a 3 or 4 goal jump on us, but I felt good with a 4 point lead at quater time. From the first quater, I thought today might end up as a shootout, and given our goalkicking record so far, I'm glad it didn't.

Positives from todays game?

Overall the team performed to my expectations, they all pulled their weight around the field. Browny was very good today, Richitelli was very impressive today, pretty all the boys out there today were impressive and got the job done.

What set up the win today?

Clearly once again it was a case of the second and third terms that set it up for us, as we ran away from the Blues and established our 52 point lead by the final quater. 6 Goals 6 in the second was a great effort, with the wind was impressive, because we established our 3 goal lead. But 7 goals 6 in the third was truely the highlight for the team today, and its performances like this I'm hoping for the rest of the pre-season and into the Home and Away season.

Next Game:

NAB Cup Semi-Final

Brisbane Lions VS Melbourne Demons

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NAB Cup Semi-Final

Brisbane Lions VS Melbourne Demons

Venue: The Gabba

Conditions: A real stinker, overcast and 31 degrees.

Forwards: Spaandrman Bradshaw Brennan

Half Forwards: Notting Brown Rischitelli

Centres: Power Akermanis Scott, B

Half-Back: Adcock Leppitsch Macdonald, J

Backs: White Michael Merrett

Foll: Keating Voss Black

Inter: Charman Sherman Hadley Johnson

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Full Time - Brisbane Lions VS Melbourne Demons
NAB Cup Semi Finals

Final Score

Brisbane Lions: 18 16 124
Mebourne Demons 11 5 71

Goals

Brisbane
2 Each for Power, Merrett, Sherman, Rischitelli, Brennan, 1 each for Voss, Keating, Spaanderman, Bradshaw, Johnson, Notting, Hadley, Brown, Brown

Melbourne
3 for White, 2 for Yze, 1 Each for Bruce, Browne, McDonald, Johnstone, Neitz, Holland.

Best

Brisbane
Akermanis
Macdonald, J
Scott, B

Melbourne
White, J
Johnstone, T
Miller, B

Coaches Press Conference

Inital Thoughts on the outcome

Quite pleased at how the team worked. We played a more attacking style today, just to experiment to see if we can improve on our first quater performance, and it worked out well going into Quater time. Once again I was pleased at how we went about the second half, we never let up for a second and we secured the game half-way through the last quater, but once again for the boys to come out to boot 7 goals 5 to 2 goals 1 behind that Melbourne did, speaks highly of them.

Johnathon Browns performance today wasn't his best

Definitly not his best performance, but we all have bad days I guess, for Browny it was just one of those days. But next week, he needs to improve if we want to bring home the trophey.

Players that most impressed you today?

Luke Power was sensational today. Not only did he take 8 marks, he racked up 26 possesions, 19 kicks and on top of that, 2 goals, awesome performance. Brad Scott was also up there, as was Joel Macdonald and Aker.

Factors that won the game?

We definatly had more of the ball, we had more free kicks, we won more clearences, we thrashed them in contested possessions as well as inside 50. So in the end it was our dominating the ball and getting more scoring shots.

St Kilda have had a similar path as you have going into the Final, thrashing their opponents each week. How does this effect you?

It doesn't. Next week is another match, another challenge. This week we'll train hard to prepare ourselves. But in the end next week, you have two teams quite similar on the scorecard, we'll just have to wait and find how the first quater goes next week.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the comments guys. More matches soon :)

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NAB Cup Final Week - News Break

Brisbane Lions VS St Kilda Saints

Gehrig out for Season

Ahead of St Kilda's Pre-Season Final with Brisbane, worst case scenario for the Saints as their full-foward has been ruled out until first week of September action requiring ankle reconstruction.

The timing could not be worse for the saints, as they are also without L.Fisher for 12 weeks with a serious back injury and R.Clarke with a broken leg.

Brisbane to name near-full strength side

Lions coach Jim Chezwick is expected to name a near unchanged squad for Saturdays match. The Lions, however, are still without Nigel Lapin for 43 weeks and Robert Copeland for 5 weeks, all suffering injuries in the first week of the NAB Cup.

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NAB Cup Final

Brisbane Lions VS St Kilda Saints

Venue: The Gabba

Conditions: Sunny and hot, 35 degrees

----------------------------------------

Team Line Up:

Forwards: Hadley Brennan Bradshaw

Half-Forward: McGrath Brown Rischitelli

Centres: Power Akermanis Scott, B

Half-Back: Corrie Leppitsch Pike

Backs: White Merrit Johnson, C

Foll: McDonald, B Voss Black

Inter: McLaren, Sherman, Michael, Forsyth

Some youth added into the squad, some more experienced players taking a week ahead of the home and away season to improve the reserve competition. Should be a very interesting match.

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NAB Cup Final

St Kilda win NAB Cup

In what ended up being a run away win, the St Kilda saints have won the NAB Pre-Season Cup, defeating the Brisbane Lions by 49 points at the Gabba.

The what was a hard fought battle uptil Three-Quater Time, the Saints ran away with the match 7 goals to 3 in the last term to run away with the win.

Nick Reiwoldt won best on ground for the win.

Brisbane Lions: 16 4 100

St Kilda Saints: 22 17 149

Goals

Brisbane - 4 Brennan, 3 Brown, 2 Akermanis, 1 Forsyth, McDonald, Rischitelli, Bradshaw, Leppitsch, McLaren, Michael

St Kilda - 4 Riewoldt, 4 Powell, 2 Ball, 1 Hamill, Ferguson, Hayes, Guerra, Maguire, Dal Santo, Brooks, Clarke, Jones, Baker, Goddard.

Best

Brisbane - Black, Brown, Lepptisch

St Kilda - Riewoldt, Brooks, Clarke

Coaches Press Conferences

Reaction from todays loss?

Pretty devestated. We were in the ideal conditions, we had the ideal team, we were in perfect form, and they ran right on top of us. They beat us in our own game at prevailing at the end. So to be beaten by 49 points, when really it should have been only a few points in it, it hurts.

Did the team perform poorly today compared to the last few weeks?

Of course, we lost, didn't we? Thats harsh I know, but I felt we played good football in the first three, but the final quater the team fell asleep, and in this level of football, you can't do that. I'm not going to ramble on much longer on this, but the boys needed to do better, hands down.

What was your overall breakdown of todays loss?

To be honest we were beating all over the ground today. They had more free kicks, more contested possessions, more clearences, inside 50's, contested marks, centre clearences. Every bit of the game, they beat us. Thats why they won, and we lost.

Nick Riewoldt winning best on ground. Could you have done better to shut him down?

TO be honest, I thought Justin did alright on Nick today. But Nick is tremendous talent, so in the end, I could have put anyone on him, I don't think it would have made a difference.

Where here for now for Brisbane?

We've got to look back at today and take it in our stride. I know the senior players of the squad know the pains of losing the pre-season Final before, I know many of those know the pain of losing the GRAND Final. So from here we'll take the pain for now, and take it in our stride. Right now, its back to business. We have Port Adelaide next week, so its important we start the season the same way we started in the pre-season.

----------------------------------

So close, yet so far, I guess :(

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rough_Edges said:
Ssaaaiiinnnttt Kiiiiilllldddaaaer

:( Please.... it still hurts :p

Change of format. Each post will now sum up 4 matches per post, a monthly review basically. This will not include round the final two rounds, they will be in their own posts.

Tonight, results for matches against Port, North, Swans and Bulldogs. will be posted.

If anyone has suggestions on anything, feel free to PM me or just drop a message here :thumbsu:

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Round One - Four Summary

Round One - Brisbane VS Port Adelaide - The Collapse

A good contest for the first three quaters, then the Lions just fell to sleep, allowing Port to run rampant in the final term to win by 24 points. A real tragedy in a contest the lions dominated for the most part. No injuries, but Hadley and McGrath both reported and outed for 2 weeks for charging and elbowing.

Brad Scott was the best for the lions, Luke Power and McGrath also played well.

Not so well ranked, Johnathan Brown also failed to make the top 10, finishing 18th overall on the field.

Brisbane: 14. 17. 101
Port: 19. 11. 125

Round Two - Brisbane VS Kangaroos - Guts and Glory

A close and hard fought battle for the Lions, but in the end it was guts and determination that gave Brisbane a 16 point victory of the Kangaroos. The Kangas almost won the match on behinds, once leading the game, whilst the Lions had kicked 4 more goals. In the end, Norths inability to kick goals in the final term cost them the match.

Simon Black, youngster Luke Ryswyk and Luke Power all played a pivitol role as the Lions best. Johnathan Brown proved he can be the most dangerous man on the field ranking first overall.

Injury worries for the Lions as Mal Michael suffered a Strained Quadricep, forcing him out of the Swans game. Due to poor form, Michael is also expected to be dropped to the reserves, who incidently, have failed to win a game this year.

Brisbane: 15.7.97
Kangaroos: 10.21.81

Brisbane VS Sydney Swans - Early Season Nightmare

Sickening football from the lions cost them dearly, going down bt 51 points to the Swans. The Swans were allowed to kick 7 unanswered goals straight, until the dying minutes of the first, where the Lions put on two, however Sydney were too strong, running away with the match, and Brisbane failed to give a yelp.

Johnathan Brown, Rischitelli and Black were the stand out performers for the Lions, however Rischitelli's 2 goals for the match were the only positive to come from today. Leppitsch also ranked highly for his efforts in defense.

Brisbane: 8.12.60
Swans: 17. 9.111

Brisbane VS Bulldogs - The Lion Roars Tonight....

After a shocking performance against Sydney, the Lions were determined to put their bad start to the season behind them. However, the first term clearly did not show this, as the Bulldogs put 4 straight goals in 5 minutes. The Lions united in force, taking the lead by 2 points at the first break.

The second term proved to be the turning point, 8 goals to 3 overwhelmed the Bulldogs. Although it appeared Bulldogs would fight back and pull off another remarkable win over the Lions, they eventually went down, putting only one goal in the final term.

Another great game Johnathan Brown. Bradshaw and Johnson also performed brilliantly for the team tonight, Bradshaw with 4 vital goals. Youngerster Troy Selwood put 2 goals, as did Tim Notting, who ranked 2 overall.

Brad Scott is out for 3 weeks, reported for Elbowing.

Brad's loss is bad news for the Lions as he was performing quite well, as was his twin brother Chris. The big news however, Robert Copeland and Nigel Lappin are making their much awaited return after sustaining injuries in the pre-season cup.

Ladder

Carlton 4 - 0 - 0 - 160.84% - 16
Melbourne 4 - 0 - 0 - 147.13% - 16
Collingwood 4 - 0 - 0 - 127.17% - 16
West Coast 3 - 1 - 0 - 113.61% - 12
Port Adelaide 3 - 1 - 0 - 109.21% - 12
Geelong 2 - 2 - 0 - 116.96% - 8
Bulldogs 2 - 2 - 0 - 103.30% - 8
St Kilda 2 - 2 - 0 - 98.61% - 8
--------------------------------
Brisbane 2 - 2 - 0 - 96.29% - 8
Sydney 2 - 2 - 0 - 95.94% - 8
Adelaide 2 - 2 - 0 - 83.15% - 8
Essendon 1 - 3 - 0 - 97.57% - 4
Kangaroos 1 - 3 - 0 - 79.12% - 4
Fremantle 0 - 4 - 0 - 81.04% - 0
Richmond 0 - 4 - 0 - 69.40% - 0
Hawthorn 0 - 4 - 0 - 63.65% - 0

At this stage, I'm seemly dissappointed given we did well in the preason competition. I really hoped that we would be well into the eight at this stage. We would have been had the Sydney match not end up as bad as it did.

This week we have Fremantle at Subiaco. With Robert and Nigel back, I'm hoping we can be close to full strength and play like a contendership side.

Weeks 5 to 8

VS Fremantle at Subiaco
VS Geelong at Gabba
VS Richmond at MCG
VS Collingwood at MCG

Definatly aiming for a good match against the magpies in four weeks team.

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Round Five to Eight Summary

Brisbane VS Fremantle - Lions win the Subiaco Battle

Brisbane: 21.13.139
Fremantle: 17.8.110

Both teams played with a lot heart and spirit, and some stages Fremantle looked well in control before Brown and Bradshaw were able to turn the tables and take a grip on the match up.

Brisbane led from the word go, booting 7 goals to 5 in the first term, but the Dockers refused to go down without a fight, matching kick to kick, goal to goal with the Lions. The turning point came at the final quater, where the lions went to kick a further 6 goals to end up winners by 29 points.

Luke Power was once again best for the lions, followed with Notting, Akermanis and Johnson all in the top 10.

Joel MacDonald suffered broken ribs in the final quater and will miss 3 weeks, incidently former Brisbane Lion premiership player, Des Headland also injured in the match with a broken collarbone

Brisbane VS Geelong - Brisbane Roll Over Cats

Brisbane: 22.11.143
Geelong: 15.13.103

Brisbane rocked its third win on the troat with an impressive 40 point win over the Geelong Cats. Leading by one point at the first break, the Lions then booted 8 goals to lead by 5 goals at the main break. From there, the domination continued. 3 goals to 2 in the Third Term was followed by another 5 goals in the final term.

Bradshaw and Brown shared 4 goals each for the Lions in impressive form, with Browny ranking 2nd overall on the field, behind J Kelly for the cats. Llane Spaanderman also showed potential booting 3, and Jarred Brennan continues to improve and show his natural talent with 3 goals aswell.

Leppitsch, Akermanis, Keating and Chris Scott also rated highly for the Lions.

No injuries from the game for either team.

Brisbane VS Richmond - Lions Eat Tigers Up

Brisbane: 18.25.133
Richmond: 13.9.87

Brisbanes rise of form continues as they downed Richmond by 46 points. The match however could have gone the other way, as Richmond several times during the match managed to steal the lead away from the Lions. The courage of M Richardson almost stole the game from the Three-Time Premiers, but the team effort of the Brisbane team managed to regain and hammer the Tigers down, leaving them with only with one win for the season.

Once again it was Llane Spaanderman throwing his body around, kicking four goals from the forward pocket in an impressive showing. Bradshaw, Brown and Brennan all also contributed with multiple goals each.

Nigel Lappin was the best of the lions, ranked 2nd overall behind M Richardson of Richmond. Jarrad Brennan was ranked 5th overall, Johnathan Brown finished 6th as he continues to find consistency in his game this season.

Brisbane VS Collingwood - Lions Down But Not Out

Brisbane: 11.22.88
Collingwood: 15.8.98

Not even a Johnathan Brown 3 goal haul could prevent the Magpies running over the top the Lions in the final term to emerge 10 point victors in an amazing match at the Gabba. The Lions led throughout the entire match until the final break, where Collingwood kicked 5 straight goals, to the Lions 1 goal 7 behinds to steal a vital match at the MCG.

Johnathan Brown was BOG, kicking 3 goals, taking 24 possessions, 10 marks, and 18 kicks. Llane Spaanderman continues to impress, adding a further 3 goals to his growing tally.

The loss comes ontop Chris Johnson breaking his finger, however he isn't expected to miss any time off the field. Chris may play back in the Lions Reserves, who remain winless throughout the season.

-----------------------------------
Monthly Review

Wins: 5
Losses: 3
Ladder Position: 5th

A good month for us, 3 out of 4 wins, a better peformance from the first four weeks, and we find ourselves comfortable in the top eight. I'm impressed with Llane Spaanderman and Jarrad Brennan, as they've been often being part of the vital factor thats been winning and dominating the matches.

In the mid-field, Nigel Lappin has been fantastic since his return. Luke Power, Jason Akermanis have also carried their weight around, providing great play. The young guns that have been thrown in are being giving the chance to work with Michael Voss, who despite his age is still lethal on his good days.

Defense is continual frustrating me, coming from the first four weeks. Mal Michael has continued to fail to score a ranking in the last few matches. Trying to move him around to fire him up has failed to work. Reserve Football awaits him should he not approve ahead of next week.

Johnathan Brown has and is working hard, but is just failing to achieve consistency in his game. The last few weeks has shown he's begun to string high-quality games together. The next month will hopefully be the same, and perhaps go 4 from 4

We are less than a game outside the 4, with Carlton ahead of us by percentage. The team needs to remain focused so we can achieve and secure a top four spot.

Next Four Weeks

VS Adelaide Crows (Currently 11th)
VS Essendon Bombers (Currently 7th)
VS West Coast Eagles (Currently 3rd)
VS Melbourne Demons (Currently 1st)

All potentially hard matches. Team needs really to go uninjured, stay motivated and play good, intelligent football. I believe we can go 4 from 4.

---------------------------------------

Comments on new format?

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Round Nine to Twelve Summary

Brisbane VS Adelaide Crows - Lions Rebound Against Crows

Brisbane Lions: 17.12.114

Adelaide Crows: 11.7.73

The lions have downed the crows by 41 points in a good showing, a week after going down against Collingwood. The Lions however did show the same late game slump, as Adelaide kicked 5 goals to 1 in the final term.

Llane Spaanderman once again starred, kicking 3 goals, when Bradshaw, Brown, and Brad Scott all shared 2 goals each.

However it was twin brother Chris Scott who took best on ground honors playing on the half-back flank.

No injuries or reports this week for the Lions or Crows

Brisbane VS Essendon - Lions Lay Down for Bombers

Brisbane Lions: 14.17.101

Essendon Bombers: 19.9.123

Another last term shocker from the Lions has cost them their match against the Essendon Bombers, going down by 22 points. The Bombers kicked 8 goals and 5 behinds to steal the victory from the Lions, who had controlled the match going into the final break.

The Bombers had establised a 3 goal lead by half time, only to lose it, ias the harsh windy conditions played the deciding factor.

However Coach Jim Chezwick was quoted at not being impressed by the final quater, describing the Lions as cowards and not giving a yelp in defense.

Jarrad Brennan, Llane Spaanderman, Daniel Bradshaw and Simon Black all shared 2 goals a piece for the match, with Bradshaw the best of the Lions for the match, ranked 5th overall.

Brisbane VS West Coast Eagles - Lions Roar as Eagles Fall

Brisbane Lions: 21.20.146

West Coast: 12.12.84

The Lions have rebounded once again, thumping West Coast by 62 points in their match at Subiaco oval. A 7 goal first term set up the win, and the lions continued to dominate throughout the match, not giving the Eagles a chance to take the lead.

Jason Akermanis was best on ground, but Ashley McGrath kicked 5 goals to help set up the win. Tim Notting, Clark Keating and Akermanis all shared 2 goals a piece.

No injuries to either side to report

B.Smith and D.Wirrpunda for the Eagles are facing suspensions for incidents on the field.

Brisbane VS Melbourne - Inconsistency Strikes Again

Brisbane: 14.7.91

Melbourne: 13.17.95

The Lions have once again failed to record a second win on the road, falling to the Demons by 4 points. In the end, Melbourne won the game on its behind tally, with Brisbane outscoring the Demons goalwise.

The loss is beginning to show the cracks in the Lions armor, as Brisbane faded in the third term, and even with the gale force win in their favour in the last term, were unable to gain the points in the final term.

Jarrad Brennan booted 4 for the Lions, and Llane Spaanderman kicked 2.

Nigel Lappin was the best of the Lions, ranked 2 overall behing T Johnstone of Melbourne.

Another dissappointed for key Brisbane player, Johnathan Brown, once again fading out of the match after a much promising start to the game.

The loss however, does not effect their place on the ladder, sitting in 4th spot.

----------------------------------------------------

Monthly Summary to come soon

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tough Times At the Lions Den
Summary of Round Thirteen to Sixteen

Brisbane VS Hawthorn

Brisbane: 23.14.152

Hawthorn: 12.13.85

Quality was the difference as the Lions thrashed Hawthorn by over 70 points to record their biggest win of the season. Bradshaw booted six goals to destroy the Hawks up front, while Jarrad Brennan contributed with four himself. Spaandermaan and Brown also contributed with multiple goals themselves.

Jarrad Brennan was BOG, ranking 1 on the field, followed narrowly by Johnathan Brown, ranked 2nd on field. Chris Scott and Jason Akermanis came in Third and Fourth Respectfully.

Jamie Charman will miss a week due to suspension for charging. No injuries

Brisbane VS St Kilda - Another Loss as Lions Slip from the Four

Brisbane: 11. 8. 74

St Kilda: 17.11. 113

Another loss for the Lions, and now their out of the four. Ontop of this, Coach Jim Chezwick has promised the Lions will pay for their pathetic first quater showing in a hard training week ahead of next round against the Blues.

St Kilda broke through the Lions tight defense, clearly running around a strong Lions outfit, designed to disrupt the strong midfield and forward lion of the Saint. But the Defense never showed up, as St Kilda, kicked 5 straight, followed by another 4 goals, 6 goals after the break.

The only positive was the strong final quater was one of their best efforts to attempt salvage the match, outscoring the Saints 3 goals to 2. But besides that, only misery for the lions

Nigel Lappin is confirmed out for the season with a serious back injury. Bradshaw also came off the field early with a strained calf.

To make matters worse, Tim Notting is out for four weeks, suspended for striking.

Brisbane Lions VS Carlton Blues - Back to Back Losses has Lions worried

Carlton Blues: 16.16.112

Brisbane Lions: 13.11.89

Another loss for the Lions has Coach Jim Chezwick's hopes of the final appearence appear to be shakey as they went down to the Carlton Blues.

The Lions were no match for the Blues, as Carlton booted 9 first half goals to the Lions 3. The Lions came out fired up after half time, but could only manage 10 goals, 3 goals 5 behinds short.

Michael Voss was the best for the Lions, ranking 2nd overall. Johnathan Brown and Jason Akermanis also rated highly.

Bradshaw and Brown both shared 3 goals a piece, and McGrath was the only other multiple goal scorer, kicking 2.

Brisbane Lions VS Port Adelaide Power - The Lions Strike Back

Port Adelaide: 14.8.92

Brisbane Lions: 16.15.111

In one of their best overall performances for the season, the Brisbane Lions have come from behind in the final quater to defeat Port Adelaide by 19 points.

Port, much like St Kilda and Carlton ripped through the Lions defense, kicking 6 straight unanswered goals, before the Lions pounced with 4 of their own in the First quater. The Second term was even, with both teams kicking 4 goals 3 behinds each. From their, it appeared as the momentum was shifting.

The third term saw Port Adelaide kick 3 goals 4 behinds, the Lions scoring 3 goals 5 behinds. The Final Quater saw Port Adelaide run out of steam, as they booted a misrable 1 goal 1 behind as the Lions ran 4 goals 4 behinds to win by 3 goals.

Simon Black and Johnathan Brown were the best for the Lions, ranking 1 and 2 on the field respectfully. Richard Hadley rounded out the top 5 for the Lions, ranking 4th overall.

Johnathan Brown kicked 3 goals, Moody, Bradshaw and Scott all settling for 2 goals each.

The next four games are mixed for the Lions...

Next Week.....
VS Kangaroos (AWAY)
VS Sydney (Home)
VS Richmond (Home)
VS Fremantle (Home)

Final Two games of the Home away season

VS Geelong (Away)
VS Bulldogs (Home)

The Lions appear to be on their way to a Final appearence, but conisitant football is vital for the team if they want to defeat Sydney and Fremantle.

The Aim will be win 4 of the next 6, a late season surge into the finals.

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The last few games were pretty depressing to play, so I'll give a breif summary before end of season report.

Got smashed by North by 120 points (80 of them scored in the second half, a real disaster)

Fremantle did the same thing, smashing 50-60 points in the second half to beat us by 70 points.

Wins against the cats, tigers and the swans kept us in the eight, and we finished 5th overall

Season Report

Premiers: Those bloody St Kilda bastards :p
Norm Smith: Fraser Gehrig

Final Position: 5th
Finals: Defeated by Carlton by 14 points in Semi Finals

The Board have considered this year to be successful, but were disappointed at our form throughout the year. Overall coaching rating of 74.

PreSeason Post Will be up soon

Apr 19, 2005
The Pub
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Pre-Season 2006 Season

Although I was relatively pleased finishing 5th in my first season as coach, the team could have achieved so much better throughout the season. The most concerning thing running through season 2005 was the thumpings we suffered from a bottom placed team (Kangaroos), a bottom eight team (Fremantle) and the inability to play consistant football throughout the season.

The Pre-Season is now here, delistings will be made, trades a most definate. Retirees are a probarbility as well, which is a fact of life. Building for the 2006 season, begins now.....

Administrative Tasks

Assisstant Coach - Brian Royal

Brian Royal has been my number one man throughout the season. Without Brian, our 5th place may very well have been 15th. His excellence throughout nearly all facets of the game helped the Lions achieve its high ranking this year, and its a real good treat for the Lions to re-sign Brian Royal to the club.

Chief Medical Officer

Louis Wathen performed well throughout the season dealing with the numerous injuries. However, we've needed to gain an edge upon dealing with injury recovery, and although Louis rated Very Good in the facet, the Lions have decided to sign Donovan Duligall as the clubs new Cheif Medical Officer.

Recruitment Officer

Kbe Tunesi has resigned from the club, leaving the Lions to look for a new recruitment officer.

Given the situation of Brisbane's need to bring in stronger tall defenders and forwards, the Lions are pleased to sign Travis Broad as the clubs new Recruitment Officer

Travis Broad
Excellent Ratings - Tall Forwards, Small Forwards[/I]
Very Good Ratings - Tall Backs, Onballers
Good Ratings - Rookie Talent, Rucks, Small Backs.
Fair Ratings - None
Poor Ratings - None

Club Administrator

Ian Fitzroy has retired as well, leaving the Lions once again to look for a new staff member. Ian had excellent skills and will be truly missed.

The Lions have signed Joshua Vaughn to the new club administrator. Josh is well known in securing sponsorship deals, but is also quite competent in maintaining all other facets of the Adminstrator task.

Joshua Vaughn

Loyalty - Very Good
Morale - Good
Club Finances - Good
Club Reputation - Good
Sponsorship Deals - Excellent

Retired Players

A true end of an era for the Lions. So much experience, so much leadership, so many Champions. 2005 saw the departure of

Chris Johnson
Clark Keating
Martin Pike
Michael Voss
Darryl White

Michael Voss will be the missed the most. His leadership over the last few years, guiding the Lions to 3 Premierships and consecutives Finals appearences led to our success.

All players will be truely missed.

Signing Uncontracted Players

The following have all re-signed with the Brisbane Lions Football Club

Johnathan Brown
Jed Adcock
Simon Black
Luke Power
Michael Rischitelli
Jamie Charman

The Following Players will depart from Brisbane:

Brad Scott
Joel McDonald
Tom Logan
Mathew Moody.

The Lions wish them well for the future

Trade

The Lions have so far secured the following

Adam Selwood - West Coast Eagles
Aaron Hamill - St Kilda Saints
Mark McVeigh - Essendon Bombers
Des Headland - Fremantle Dockers

National Draft

The Lions Draft Choices Are as follows:

Round One - Pick #12 - Gabriel Riebe - Small Back

Round Two - Pick #28 - Szkpo, Kaleb - Tall Foward

Round Three - Pick #44 - Jose Windrum - Tall Back

Round Four - Pick #60 - Kyler Worth - Small Back

Pre-Season Draft

Round One - Pick #10 - Xavier Clarke - Small Foward

Round Two - Pick #19 - Tall Back - Small Back

Round Three - Pick #28 - Ian Conquest - Tall Back

Pre-Season Assessment

The Following Players have made EXCELLENT progress:

Cameron Wood - Ruck

The Following Players have made GOOD Progess:

Jarad Brennan
Daniel Merrett
Leigh Ryswyk
Troy Selwood

The following have NOT improved:

Dylan McLaren
Mal Michael

So season 2006 starts now. First up, Brisbane VS Collingwood at the MCG.

Comments on the pre-season?

Back