TAR: Richmond - 2008 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I am thrilled to be announced the new coach of the Richmond Football Club. With the NAB Cup starting this week I will get right into the swing of things, and look to try out some new players in new positions during this competition. I think we have a good list with a good mix of youth and experience, however we are 2-3 years of being genuine premiership contenders. We will aim to finish in the top 10 this year with at least 10 years, and anything less will be seen as a failure. Our list is fairly solid in all areas but we could probably use 1-2 good taggers and a couple more star small forwards.

Nab Cup Round 1: Richmond v Sydney
B: Raines - Hall - Moore

HB: Newman - Rance - McMahon

C: Cotchin - Meyer - Richardson

HF: King - Riewoldt - Pettifer

F: Tambling - Bowden - Hughes

R: Putt - Coughlan - Deledio

I/C: Tuck - Collins - Polo - Gourdis

We have gone with a very different looking side for the first hitout of the season. Joel Bowden will line up at full forward and Schulz at full back, and the beauty is we know that both are capable of playing at either end of the ground. Big Matty Richardson is going to start on the wing to see if we can use his endurance and marking more fully than we have in the past, as I believe he is wasted when used solely up forward. He still will go forward in patches but he won't be there all game. We are also going in with Putt and Gourdis as our 2 starting ruckmen, both of whom are unlikely to play in round one. Brown, Simmonds, Johnson, Foley, Pattison and Polak are all being rested but will probably play round one.​

Richmond: 2.3.15 - 4.5.29 - 4.8.32 - 8.11.59
Sydney: 4.2.26 - 10.5.65 - 14.7.91 - 19.11.125

Goals
Richmond: Collins 4, Richardson 2, Hughes, Newman
Sydney: Hall 3, Davis 3, O'Loughlin 2, R.O'Keefe 2, Goodes 2, Kennelly 2, Everitt, Mathews, Fosdike, White, Barry

Best
Richmond: Collins, Coughlan, Deledio
Sydney: Fosdike, Kennelly, Bolton

We came into this game not expecting to win as we fielded a very inexperienced side. This was exposed in the middle quarters as Sydney kicked 10.5 to 2.3 and killed the contest. Our first quarter showed promising signs and in the last we played a more attacking style and used Richo more up forward than we did before. He was fantastic in both roles and finished with 23 disposals, 19 marks and 2 goals. Coughlan was terrific with 31 disposals and young star Collins left his mark with 19 disposals and 4 goals. However Collins allowed his opponent Kennelly a bit too much space which is something he will need to work on. We got smashed in the clearances (36-22) which was mainly due to our lack of experienced ruckmen, although the hitouts did finish level. Shane Tuck was the only player to really fail.

Luckily we got through the game unscathed and with no reports, and a lot of our reserves impressed in the 40 point win over Sydney's reserves. Pattison, Graham, Edwards, White and Foley were the best, and will all most likely play in next week's practice match.

Practice Match: Richmond v Port Adelaide

B: Raines - Thursfield - McGuane

HB: Newman - Rance - McMahon

C: Cotchin - Meyer - Richardson

HF: Morton - Riewoldt - White

F: Tambling - Polak - Hughes

R: Pattison - Foley - Deledio

I/C: Edwards - Collins - Polo - Gourdis

In: Thursfield, White, Pattison, McGuane, Foley, Edwards, Morton, Polak
Out: Schulz, Pettifer, Putt, Moore, Coughlan, Tuck, King, Bowden

For this match we have made plenty of changes to last week's side. None of these are performance based as it is all just to get as many players a game as possible before the season starts. Richo will start on the wing and once again the result is not our main priority, just a good performance and a lot of positives is all we are after.

Richmond: 4.7.31 - 9.9.63 - 12.10.82 - 17.15.117
Port Adelaide: 2.5.17 - 6.11.47 - 11.14.80 - 14.16.100

Goals
Richmond: Collins 3, Riewoldt 3, Morton 2, Tambling 2, White, Polo, Cotchin, Richardson, Hughes, Gourdis, Raines
Port Adelaide: Tredrea 5, Stewart 2, White 2, Lobbe 2, K.Cornes 2, Ebert

Best
Richmond: Cotchin, Riewoldt, Newman
Sydney: Tredrea, K.Cornes, Stewart

That was a really good win to get after once again going in undermanned. We got smashed in the clearances again (33-20) despite winning the hitouts. This is a problem we will need to address, because although this isn't our strongest side the majority of them will start in round one and will need to work on their weaknesses. I was really impressed with the way we fought back in that third quarter when they kicked 4 in a row and led by 9 points, and then under pressure in the final term we played brilliantly. Andrew Collins has pretty much booked himself a spot in the round one side, as has Edwards who got 26 disposals despite only having about 70% match time. Cotchin and Morton were both sensational, Richo was great again, and Riewoldt and Gourdis combined to make a dangerous forward line. Unforunately it looks like Rance will miss the first half of the season after injuring his back, and Polak did a hammy and may miss up to 5 weeks. Next week we will go with a more experienced side and a side that will be more similar to how we will line up in round one.

Practice Match: Richmond v Geelong

B: White - Thursfield - McGuane

HB: King - Bowden - Oakley-Nicholls

C: Edwards - Brown - Johnson

HF: Morton - Riewoldt - Collins

F: Pettifer - Hughes - Tambling

R: Simmonds - Coughlan - Deledio

I/C: Tuck - Moore - Tivendale - Graham

We know coming into this game that Geelong are a very tough opponent, and they have named a near full strength side for this practice match. On the other hand, we have gone in without Richo, McMahon, Foley, Cotchin and Newman, who we see as a vital part of our regular 22. Nathan Brown, Kane Johnson, Troy Simmonds and Greg Tivendale are all playing their first game for the year after we rested them in the first two matches. Apart from that it is a similar side to the first to games and hopefully we are competitive, and as our midfield is near full strength we will hopefully improve in the clearances which we made a major focus at training during the week. We will use Kane Johnson to tag Gary Ablett, hopefully he can keep him under 20 touches as Kane will most likely be our number 1 tagger this year.

Richmond: 4.4.28 - 4.5.29 - 5.8.38 - 6.8.44
Geelong: 4.3.27 - 9.7.61 - 13.12.90 - 17.18.120

Goals
Richmond: Tambling 2, Pettifer, Graham, Tivendale, Brown
Geelong: S.Simpson 3, S.Johnson 2, Corey 2, Milburn 2, McKenna 2, Harley, D.Simpson, Stokes, Mooney, Ling, Ablett

Best
Richmond: Collins, Pettifer, Bowden
Geelong: Scarlett, Milburn, Chapman

A really disappointing performance there. Although we didn't expect to win, we played maybe one good quarter of footy and three quarters of crap. With the wind blowing that strong, a one point quarter time lead was never going to be good enough. Our second quarter wasn't too bad but it wasn't good either, and our third quarter, kicking with the wind and losing it by 20 points, was a disgrace. We played pretty well in the last quarter I thought but by then it didn't mean much, and the Cats had probably stopped trying. On a positive note, Kane Johnson was exceptional in keeping Gary Ablett to just 16 disposals and a goal to have him ranked 26th on the ground. Tambling, Bowden, Pettifer, Simmonds and Collins were all very good and Hughes showed positive signs up forward with 16 disposals and 6 marks, but couldn't finish and ended up with 0.4. Will Thursfield had an absolute shocker, allowing Simpson 15 disposals, 10 marks and 3 goals in just over a quarter of footy before he was dragged for the remainder of the match. Next week we will go with a full strength side and play to our best in the prequel to our round one clash against the Blues.

Practice Match: Richmond v Carlton

B:
Newman - Moore - McGuane

HB: Raines - Bowden - McMahon

C: Edwards - Cotchin - Johnson

HF: Tambling - Schulz - Collins

F: Pettifer - Richardson - Hughes

I/C: Tuck - Morton - Brown - Gourdis

This side will be very similar to the one selected in round one, with only form from this match and injuries causing any changes. Richo will line up at full forward as our forward line is empty without him, but he will move to the wing at times if needed. Gourdis was chosen for second ruck as he was the best of the 3 throughout the pre season so far, but he will need to perform reasonable well to stay for round one. This side is very strong and we will aim for nothing less than a win.

Richmond: 3.3.21 - 4.8.32 - 7.11.53 - 9.15.69
Carlton: 2.3.15 - 8.9.57 - 15.10.100 - 18.13.121

Goals
Richmond: Brown 2, Tambling 2, Richardson, Edwards, Johnson, Hughes, Bowden
Carlton: Stevens 4, Fisher 4, Judd 2, Blackwell 2, Hadley, Bentick, Gibbs, Fevola, Walker, Browne

Best
Richmond: Bowden, Tambling, Coughlan
Carlton: Walker, Stevens, Browne

That is not how we planned to finish our pre season. With a full strength side we expected a win and after the first quarter it seemed likely we would get it. I have no idea what happened after quarter time but from then we played some horrible footy and in the end lost by 52 points, in a game we really should have won. We lost clearances 31-20, and we also got beaten in inside 50's 61-49. Bowden was very good on Fevola, holding him to 19 disposals and a goal while he picked up 20 disposals, 11 marks and a goal including 11 possessions in the first quarter. Tambling was brilliant in the middle where he gathered 30 touches and kicked 2 goals, and once again Hughes impressed with everything bar his goal kicking. We will make that a major focus for him at training this week. This week in our round one clash we will expect a far more competitive effort.

Round 1

tigerslogo.thumbnail.jpg
V
logo_cfc.gif

Richmond
B: Newman - Thursfield - McGuane

HF: Tambling - Richardson - Collins

F: Pettifer - Hughes - Riewoldt

I/C: Polo - Jackson - Brown - Gourdis

Out: Morton, Tuck, Moore, Schulz

This is going to be a big test for our boys, having been thrashed by the Blues last week. It will be interesting to see how we bounce back, only 4 changes have been made so it is up to the playing group to find an answer that wasn't there last week.

The Blues are favourites for this match and after last week that is fair enough. The key for us will be to restrict Fevola and Judd, if they have limited impact then it will bode well for our chances. Kane Johnson will start the match on Judd and hopefully he does a better job this week, while once again it is up to Bowden to play on Fev. Moore has been dropped and Thursfield will get first crack at full back, which is an area we need to cover pretty quickly as we haven't been strong there in the pre season.

For us to win we will need to lift in the clearances which is where we have struggled throughout the pre season. Our physical pressure around the contests was lacking in the past two games but I am confident the boys will lift in that regard, as I told them to be careful in the pre season. Hughes will need to make the most of his chances this game, and Richo will be looking to recover from his shocker last week. Against a side I rate similar to our own, a win by any margin is all we will be happy with.

Richmond: 1.4.10 - 5.7.37 - 7.8.50 - 11.12.78
Carlton: 7.4.46 - 9.9.63 - 19.11.125 - 20.14.134

Goals
Richmond: Hughes 5, Johnson 2, Richardson, Edwards, Newman, Cotchin
Carlton: Fisher 8, Fevola 3, Betts 2, Hartlett 2, Browne, Scotland, Saddington, Kruezer, Judd

Best
Richmond: Raines, Hughes, Johnson
Carlton: Kreuzer, Fevola, Waite

CARLTON.jpg

Carlton celebrate after the siren in their 56 point flogging of Richmond

What a terrible effort. Once again we lose what we expected to win, only this time it was when it mattered.

Our first quarter was absolutely terrible. There was a 1-2 goal wind blowing their way in the first term, but that is no excuse to be down by 36 at the break. Our goal kicking was a worry at this stage with 1.4 for the term, and 0.2 to Cleve.

Our second quarter started out poorly when they kicked the first two to lead by 53 points, but we kicked 4.3 to nothing in the last 10 minutes and it looked like we might be back in it with the margin down to just 26 at half time. We flooded early in the quarter, but when we had stemmed the flow we went back to an attacking gameplan and that is when we looked dangerous.

We started the third quarter with this same gameplan and got absolutely smashed; they kicked 10 goals to 2 to put the result beyond doubt. When we were down by 75 at the last change, I told the boys all I wanted was a good performance and aim to lose by under 50. It didn't quite go to plan but we kicked 4.4 to 1.3 and lost by 56 in the end, a very disappointing result for everyone involved with the club.

Cleve Hughes was a lone star, booting 5.5 and earning his spot in the side. If he can continue to improve that goal kicking hopefully he can start turning that into 7 or 8 goals by the end of the year. Richo, Riewoldt and Johnson were the only other real standouts. Our lack of a good full back is starting to hurt us as we rotated Bowden, McGuane and Thursfield onto Fisher and none of them could stop him. Considering we won the inside 50's (62-53) we really should have been able to limit his impact. The umpiring I didn't think was flash, and when the free kick count is that lopsided (20-7) it is usually off the mark.

CLEVE.jpg

Cleve Hughes boots his 4th

Changes will be made to the side for this week's clash against North, who won their game narrowly in round one. We will continue to search for a good full back, and a few players who didn't contribute will also lose their spots.

Round 2

tigerslogo.thumbnail.jpg
$3.40 V $1.20
kangaroos%20logo%2002_resized.png

Richmond

B: Newman - Schulz - McGuane

F: Pettifer - Hughes - Riewoldt

I/C: Polo - Jackson - Meyer - Gourdis

Out: Brown, Thursfield

North Melbourne are 8th on the ladder after a 15 point win over Essendon last week in a high scoring match. Robbie Tarrant, Wells and Harvey were all very good and we will need to shut them down this week to stand any chance. After our performance last week we go in as clear underdogs but within the club we believe we are more than capable of winning this match.

Nathan Brown has been dropped after getting just 6 disposals last week in about 75% match time, and Will Thursfield for his poor defending one on one. Jay Schulz comes in and will be tried at full back, while Danny Meyer played a good game in the reserves last week and has earnt a recall. Bowden will take the job of shutting down Tarrant after his domination last week and Johnson will have the job on either Harvey or Wells. It is up to how well we use the ball inside 50 this week as last week we won the inside 50 count and still got smashed. Our forward line is potent enough but everyone needs to work together and all do their share, not just leave it up to Cleve and Richo. There is a strong wind blowing across the ground and light showers are predicted, meaning it will be up to our smaller forwards to perform this game.

After losing last week in such disappointing fashion we will look once again for a victory, but at the very least a far more competitive performance. Consistency across all four quarters should get us the 4 points in this match.

Richmond: 7.6.48 - 8.9.57 - 11.14.80 - 16.18.114
North Melbourne: 1.1.7 - 8.5.53 - 12.8.80 - 15.9.99

Goals
Richmond: Meyer 3, Richardson 2, Edwards 2, Simmonds 2, Collins 2, Johnson, Raines, Bowden, McMahon, Hughes
North Melbourne: Tarrant 3, Thompson 3, Brown 2, Sansbury 2, Smith 2, Sinclair 2, McMahon

Best
Richmond: Simmonds, Richardson, Raines
North Melbourne: Brown, Tarrant, Wells

DDRicho_wideweb__470x360,0.jpg

Richo celebrates with Tiger fans after the game

Phew! That's all I can say. A win is a win, but I'm definitely feeling mixed reactions after that result. It's a bloody fantastic feeling to get my first win as coach of this great club, especially going in as underdogs after copping a flogging last week.

Our first quarter was some of the best footy I have seen. We dominated attack and made the most of our chances, and when we led by 41 at the first break I thought it was our day and we might be in for a chance to even up our percentage.

The way the second quarter was played you'd have thought the two sides had swapped guernseys; it was a complete reversal of the first quarter. It wasn't until they hit the lead in the 20th minute that we seemed to switch back on and get that late on to retain the lead at the main break. The mood and confidence of the boys at half time was shattering, all that hard work had been undone so suddenly. I gave them a spray and urged them to fire up as they went back onto the ground.

Our third quarter then started well as we kicked the first 2 and had an 18 point lead, but we allowed them back into it again and when the siren went the scores were level. I'll be honest, I thought at this point it was as good as over as they had the momentum having won the last 2 quarters, and they were kicking to the scoring end.

We made a few minor tactical changes for the last term and it seemed to have paid off. We were 4 points down when it went into time on but something must have clicked and the boys lifted up a notch, and booted home another 3 late goals to end up with a very satisfying 15 point win.

Richo was absolutely brilliant, and he gathered 25 possessions, 8 marks but was wasteful and finished with 2.5. Danny Meyer was a great small forward and he collected 25 disposals and kicked 3 goals. Troy Simmonds also hit form, getting 15 disposals, 10 marks, 2 goals and winning 20 hitouts. Apart from that it was a very even team performance with only Riewoldt and Gourdis having below average games, but both spent more than half the game on the bench.

We were unable to stop Tarrant in the end, as he carved us up with 26 touches, including 11 marks and 3 goals. David Hale played well and had 22 touches and 23 hitouts, while Jess Sinclair provided the Roos with run off half back and picked up 27 possessions including 2 majors.

This much needed win puts us back at level pegging with a win and a loss from our two games. Next week we play last placed Fremantle, but their position doesn't tell the full story. They are a good side and we will need to be at our best to get our 2nd win of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 3

tigerslogo.thumbnail.jpg
$1.65 V $2.15
ffc_logo.jpg

Richmond

B: Newman - Schulz - McGuane

F: Brown - Hughes - Riewoldt

I/C: Polo - Jackson - Meyer - Gourdis

Out: Pettifer (susp)

Fremantle have lost their first 2 games of the year against Hawthorn and Collingwood, however both games were decided by under 20 points. Josh Carr has been their best player but Pavlich and Bell have also been good in both games. Our backline has struggled all year so it is Pavlich where the game lies, especially given their lack of another decent tall forward option. Jay Schulz will most likely start the match on him, unless he lines up at centre-half forward which would give Bowden the job.

After a good solid team performance last week the only change we have made is Kane Pettifer out of the side with suspension. He has been replaced by star Nathan Brown who played in the VFL last week and kicked 3 goals, however if Pettifer wasn't charged he wouldn't have been promoted this week. The forecast is overcast weather with a gale force wind blowing up the ground. It will be interesting to see how our boys handle this wind, but hopefully our skills are up when we are against it, because we all know how good our long kicking game plan is when we are with the wind. The main strength of our team is that we don't rely on any one player; while Richo is important he nearly always performs, and when he doesn't we have Hughes and Riewoldt who have both started the season well.

Although Freo are last on the ladder, they are yet to be beaten comfortably and are not to be under rated. Their side is loaded with stars, both young and old, and if we are able to nullify their impact we should win as we believe our depth is stronger. Another performance like last week should be enough to get us our 2nd win of the year.

Richmond: 0.5.5 - 0.6.6 - 5.11.41 - 7.12.54
Fremantle: 3.4.22 - 7.7.49 - 10.9.69 - 12.14.86

Goals
Richmond: Riewoldt 2, Brown, Cotchin, Coughlan - Richardson, Polo
Fremantle: Murphy 3, J.Carr 2, Farmer, Sandilands, Bell, McPharlin, Palmer, Mayne, Headland

Best
Richmond: Bowden, Brown, Cotchin
Fremantle: Sandilands, J.Carr, Palmer

bowden4.jpg

Despite Bowden's efforts we were unable to get the 4 points.

We played out worst half of footy for this season in the first half which is really what cost us the match. When you are goal-less and 43 points down at half time it is very difficult to win, so even though we managed to play well in the second half we didn't come close to winning.

We dominated play in the first term but inaccuracy really cost us, as we had only 2 less scoring shots but trailed by 17 points at the break.

Our second quarter we would like to forget, they kicked 4.3 to just 1 point and we found ourselves without a goal at half time. I was angry and let the boys know it, and that we still had every chance to win if we lifted in the second half.

It seemed to have worked as we came out firing and kicked 5.5 to 3.2 in the third quarter to narrow the gap to 28 points at the final change. With more accurate kicking it could have been around 10 points and that really hurt us in the end.

We never really got in it in the final term which was disappointing, each side booted 2 goals and we went down by 32 points, despite winning inside 50's (57-55) and clearances (25-18). We also thrashed them in the centre clearances 15-7.

No one really dominated the stats for Freo, but Josh Carr and Peter Bell both continued this seasons fine form gathering 53 disposals and 3 goals between them. We managed to shut down their key forwards, especially Pavlich who Bowden kept to 17 touches, 3 marks and no goals.

Bowden was brilliant, not only holding Pavlich but hurting them the other way. He ended up with 24 disposals and 7 marks. Mark Coughlan only had 19 possessions but won 7 clearances, more than anyone else on the ground. Trent Cotchin and Dean Polo were also very good, while Richo had a rare off day with just 13 touches, 6 marks and a goal.

Next week against the 5th placed Magpies now becomes another crunch game as wen don't want to fall to a 1-3 win-loss ratio.

Gee, the Tigers going woefully here.
Quite realistic then.:(:eek:

BTW CT, 161 views suggests that some are watching and reading.

Quite realistic then.:(:eek:

BTW CT, 161 views suggests that some are watching and reading.

Not necessarily. Seeing as this is the only story going at the moment, a lot of people may have clicked it wondering what it is, possibly thinking it's in the Games Section.

Regular readers are different to one off viewers, and I'm not writing it for one off viewers. Comments are appreciated.

this has been pretty good so far mate!
looking forward to the next update... i did do a game in FFX for 09 on another board but we were doing far too good in the game that it became un-realistic so I stopped, am interested in doing a TAR one from 08 onwards... just need to figure out how to get cousins in my team for 09 :p

Round 4

tigerslogo.thumbnail.jpg
$3 V $1.30
Collingwood_Football_Club_logo.gif

Richmond

B:
Newman - Schulz - McGuane

F: Brown - Hughes - Riewoldt

I/C: Polo - King - Meyer - Pattison

Out: Jackson, Gourdis

Collingwood are 2-1 and are sitting 5th on the ladder. They come into this match on the back of a 48 point win over Carlton, and will not be an easy opposition. We are coming in on the back of a pretty disappointing loss, but we finished last week's game well and if we can string a good solid 4 quarter effort together we should be able to match it with the Pies.

Daniel Jackson and David Gourdis have been dropped after putting in fairly poor performances over the first few games. Jake King and Adam Pattison both come into the side for their first games of the year, after putting in good performances for Coburg for a few weeks now. Overcast weather is forecast for the game but due to our good tall forward line we will hope the rain holds off for the match.

Collingwood are a well structured and balanced side who will aim to be pushing for the top 4 this year. However, our young side is very skilled and if we play our best then we should be good enough to get win number 2. This is a must win game for us; win and we go 2-2 and are right in the mix, or lose and fall to 1-3, and a very difficult position to make finals from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back