Tarryn Thomas bump on CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bump caused CJ to be out for 20 minutes, they were both going for the ball.

MRP has deemed it careless conduct, medium impact and high contact, Thomas can accept a 1 week ban with an early plea

My statement: What a ******* joke.

Incident if you haven't seen it:

Last edited:

MRP has deemed it careless conduct, medium impact and high contact, Thomas can accept a 1 week ban with an early plea

Is the AFL taking the piss???

Why call it a bump? It wasn't a bump

That boundary line footage is what I’d call conclusive. Just the fact that Thomas’ hands are positioned to take possession a millisecond before contact(which, I maintain, is shoulder to shoulder). 100% will be thrown out on appeal. Jeez that’s a lazy bit of work from the MRP.

No team cops more of these absurd adjudications than us. No doubt this will trigger the usual cries of ‘victim mentality’, but certainly in the Christian era this s**t has been far too commonplace. Is it bad luck, incompetence, or something more sinister? Don’t know but it has to be called out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a common theme in these collisions.

Player A (Jiath) running with his head over the ball and the ball bouncing either very slowly or away from him, meaning that instead of grabbing the ball and then protecting himself he's left vulnerable.

Player B (TT) second to the ball but not by much. Uses the AFL endorsed sideways reaching motion to protect themselves. A completely new and silly technique that requires the opposition to be mirroring with a similar side on action.

Given player A is not sideways, mostly due to the circumstance of where the ball is, player B's side on and reaching technique turns from safety to a weapon.

Back before the slide rule these players both approach the ball head on and one of them ends up sliding to avoid contact. Potentially dangerous for legs and ankles but a lot safer the heads.

The super slow mo on this angle doesn't look good to me. It looks like TT is late enough that coming in so fast is careless. But that's the super slow mo. And the other camera angle is just about impossible to tell much of anything.

My guess is he gets off with the Selwood and Cotchin defence of it being competing for the ball. But I also think coaches and the league need to investigate just how badly this sprint in sideways technique is.

And the league also has to decide if they are encouraging this technique if at some stage they have to plant a flag and say, ok, Selwood had 0.7 seconds (pure guess) to work out he's second to the ball. TT you've had 1.2 seconds, you had to slow up and tackle or bump in the side, it's not your ball to contest.

And the league also has to decide if they are encouraging this technique if at some stage they have to plant a flag and say, ok, Selwood had 0.7 seconds (pure guess) to work out he's second to the ball. TT you've had 1.2 seconds, you had to slow up and tackle or bump in the side, it's not your ball to contest.
>it's not your ball to contest.

Madness.

Player A (Jiath) running with his head over the ball and the ball bouncing either very slowly or away from him, meaning that instead of grabbing the ball and then protecting himself he's left vulnerable.

Player B (TT) second to the ball but not by much. Uses the AFL endorsed sideways reaching motion to protect themselves. A completely new and silly technique that requires the opposition to be mirroring with a similar side on action.

Given player A is not sideways, mostly due to the circumstance of where the ball is, player B's side on and reaching technique turns from safety to a weapon.

Back before the slide rule these players both approach the ball head on and one of them ends up sliding to avoid contact. Potentially dangerous for legs and ankles but a lot safer the heads.

The super slow mo on this angle doesn't look good to me. It looks like TT is late enough that coming in so fast is careless. But that's the super slow mo. And the other camera angle is just about impossible to tell much of anything.

My guess is he gets off with the Selwood and Cotchin defence of it being competing for the ball. But I also think coaches and the league need to investigate just how badly this sprint in sideways technique is.

Awful take.

Is there any coincidence with Steven Hocking being a Cats man that the Duncan and Selwood incidents that were worse, were not even cited.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think any were suspensions, but I you are citing this one then you need to be citing those as well.

Duncan collides with Hall after the ball is gone and knocks Hall out, so not sure how you can rule one as all clear and this as a suspension? Same with the Mansell one, Mansell actually has hands on the ball when Selwood goes lower and collects his chin.

This is a circus with these two clowns picking and choosing what they deem a suspension. They clearly can’t even apply any consistency to their decision making process.

I hope the club as the AFL to foot the bill for the Legal Counsel required to even fight this bogus charge.

what a load of tripe. Loose ball to be won, dead heat getting there. Thomas actually is closer to ball when collision occurs.

You realise a frame is 1/50 of a second?
what you watching is 3 frames of vision difference….
Players don’t have that sort of reaction time. What you’re watching is two players competing the same ball and hitting the contest at the same time.

it’s a jk, whoever’s running the show at the mrp should hang up the boots, that’s a collision that happens 10 times a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back