Tarryn Thomas bump on CJ

Remove this Banner Ad

The reactive nature of club doctors to take players off the field for concuss tests sees a knee-jerk reaction by the AFL to punish any contact, body head or otherwise that sees a player taken off the field for a test. Yes we have to protect players from head injuries however it was evident from the footage, on my take, that it was body on body side contact which forced CJ to the ground. I hope he’s ok from it but to punish Thomas as a result of that precautionary examination by the doctor lacks common sense, IMO.

There's a common theme in these collisions.

Player A (Jiath) running with his head over the ball and the ball bouncing either very slowly or away from him, meaning that instead of grabbing the ball and then protecting himself he's left vulnerable.

Player B (TT) second to the ball but not by much. Uses the AFL endorsed sideways reaching motion to protect themselves. A completely new and silly technique that requires the opposition to be mirroring with a similar side on action.

lol

There's a common theme in these collisions.

Player A (Jiath) running with his head over the ball and the ball bouncing either very slowly or away from him, meaning that instead of grabbing the ball and then protecting himself he's left vulnerable.

Player B (TT) second to the ball but not by much. Uses the AFL endorsed sideways reaching motion to protect themselves. A completely new and silly technique that requires the opposition to be mirroring with a similar side on action.

Given player A is not sideways, mostly due to the circumstance of where the ball is, player B's side on and reaching technique turns from safety to a weapon.

Back before the slide rule these players both approach the ball head on and one of them ends up sliding to avoid contact. Potentially dangerous for legs and ankles but a lot safer the heads.

The super slow mo on this angle doesn't look good to me. It looks like TT is late enough that coming in so fast is careless. But that's the super slow mo. And the other camera angle is just about impossible to tell much of anything.

My guess is he gets off with the Selwood and Cotchin defence of it being competing for the ball. But I also think coaches and the league need to investigate just how badly this sprint in sideways technique is.

And the league also has to decide if they are encouraging this technique if at some stage they have to plant a flag and say, ok, Selwood had 0.7 seconds (pure guess) to work out he's second to the ball. TT you've had 1.2 seconds, you had to slow up and tackle or bump in the side, it's not your ball to contest.
So... what you're saying here is... Thomas should be punished because Jiath used the wrong technique? Also how is it careless? Thomas didn't know he was just following the rules which you admit in your own post, looking at the ball and going for it.

Also you claim that Thomas was second to the ball but not my much and in the exact same post you claim that he is coming in late enough where it would be careless.

He hasn't had 1.2 seconds to change his decision which is straight up worng as he was not 1.2 seconds late to the ball, maybe a 10th of that. Also analysing the footage and taking into account that average reaction speed of Beijing Olympic Runners had a reaction time of 166 milliseconds, Thomas had 0 time to make a decision.

This post was bad on first readings but responding has made me realise just how much you contradict yourself. In one post.

So... what you're saying here is... Thomas should be punished because Jiath used the wrong technique? Also how is it careless? Thomas didn't know he was just following the rules which you admit in your own post, looking at the ball and going for it.

Also you claim that Thomas was second to the ball but not my much and in the exact same post you claim that he is coming in late enough where it would be careless.

He hasn't had 1.2 seconds to change his decision which is straight up worng as he was not 1.2 seconds late to the ball, maybe a 10th of that. Also analysing the footage and taking into account that average reaction speed of Beijing Olympic Runners had a reaction time of 166 milliseconds, Thomas had 0 time to make a decision.

This post was bad on first readings but responding has made me realise just how much you contradict yourself. In one post.
There's a notion that Jiath used the wrong technique. Same thing was levelled at Mansell last week. To me that's silly. If you're down over the ball you shouldn't have to turn sideways until you pick it up. Players pick up the ball 50 times a game by putting their head over it, it's only when players think there's a one on one collision coming that they turn sideways. There's no way players are going to start running sideways when the ball is right infront of them. The most logical thing for Jiath to do when he feels or sees TT coming is to slide under the collision.

Same goes for TT. Before the slide rule he would've slid through with the ball and avoided high contact. Now he comes in with his arms out to the side hoping the ball falls in his hands and that he avoids contact.

Yes I've contradicted myself a lot but that's because the AFL's rulings and desire for this sideways nonsense is not working.

The AFL have to fix these scenarios and they have 3 options.

1. Axe the slide rule, and reserve it for serious cases of dangerous deliberate slides - ala Lindsay Thomas.

2. Punish Jiath, and make players attack the ball sideways, a completely stupid idea that goes against everything natural and likely won't work.

3. Set some sort of bar for what is competing and when the player who's coming in 2nd has to defer to the guy over it first. Ask them to pause to tackle or target the body for a bump rather than directly compete themselves.

TT will likely get off and he should. But the AFL has to figure out a better way for these 1 on 1 contests to occur. There's always going to be players who see the ball infront of them and go to pick it up. And if you bump that player high it's a suspension. But if you throw your arms out sideways in the league approved technique it's all fair even though you'll dish out the same bump. It's all broken and not working.

There's a notion that Jiath used the wrong technique. Same thing was levelled at Mansell last week. To me that's silly. If you're down over the ball you shouldn't have to turn sideways until you pick it up. Players pick up the ball 50 times a game by putting their head over it, it's only when players think there's a one on one collision coming that they turn sideways. There's no way players are going to start running sideways when the ball is right infront of them. The most logical thing for Jiath to do when he feels or sees TT coming is to slide under the collision.

Same goes for TT. Before the slide rule he would've slid through with the ball and avoided high contact. Now he comes in with his arms out to the side hoping the ball falls in his hands and that he avoids contact.

Yes I've contradicted myself a lot but that's because the AFL's rulings and desire for this sideways nonsense is not working.

1. Axe the slide rule, and reserve it for serious cases of dangerous deliberate slides - ala Lindsay Thomas.

2. Punish Jiath, and make players attack the ball sideways, a completely stupid idea that goes against everything natural and likely won't work.

3. Set some sort of bar for what is competing and when the player who's coming in 2nd has to defer to the guy over it first. Ask them to pause to tackle or target the body for a bump rather than directly compete themselves.

TT will likely get off and he should. But the AFL has to figure out a better way for these 1 on 1 contests to occur. There's always going to be players who see the ball infront of them and go to pick it up. And if you bump that player high it's a suspension. But if you throw your arms out sideways in the league approved technique it's all fair even though you'll dish out the same bump. It's all broken and not working.

Accidents happen, and you can't prevent them all no matter how much you try to regulate the game. This was an accident, the type that happens multiple times every game but generally not with quite so much impact and fallout. This incident doesn't need to be a moratorium on any of the rules, though it should be one in regards to Christian having a ******* job.

Better option axe Christian and Hocking, useless inept campaigners.
They’ve made the system worse by choosing when and not to enforce the rules..

I think someone made a mistake a ticked the wrong box.....

Will be thrown out in 10 minutes.

Even CJs family wouls say they were both vompeting fairly for the ball.
There were four Hawks players around Jiath instantly and not one remonstrated with Thomas. No one but the out of touch MRP thought this was against any rule in the game.

* off with your Lindsay Thomas hate.

Its a s**t rule, Rohan was in the wrong and that's why Thomas got a free kick.

I just seen the vision ... I can’t believe it has got this far ... the AFL are slowly but surely turning our game into netball ... it’s a contact sport ... players going for the ball are going to run into each other ... its just a joke now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So is that now 4 or 5 suspensions this clown has handed out to North players that has been later overturned?
Sack this fool now
He is acting like the jilted girlfriend now. The fact that him and Hocking didn’t even cite Duncan and Selwood for what were comparable if not worse actions, clearly shows this bloke has a vendetta and will not be happy until he gets something to stick.

I would love someone from the club to come out and actually state that they have an issue with what is now becoming close to harassment and have sent a please explain to AFL House.

Thomas DID NOT BUMP. Jury concluded it was a collision. Your long winded essay is based on incorrect premise. Repeat NO BUMP.

What a complete waste of time and money. This bloke has form now, he is actively looking to rub out North players for the most trivial of incidents. * him off and completely redo this MRP system because it is a joke. They can start with not trying to manufacture every second result and actually have an impartial system that is designed to enforce the rules and protect players from avoidable danger.

I cant recall the MRO/MRP being this bad, beyond a joke. Continually wasting time with rubbish suspensions that rightly get overturned.

Good attack on the ball. s**t happens. Didn’t think anything of it at the time. Nor did any hawthorn fan at the ground or any player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back