Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Spoken to a friend who has been in the development industry for the last 11 years. Believes that by the end of the year we’ll end up paying more for Bailey Scott than we will Tarryn Thomas.

Really likes the look of TT, but believes he will slip as he can’t see him being a full time mid at AFL level. A draft that’s stacked with genuine mids in its simple to see why some already see TT slipping. The other concern is the state of the TSL in tas. The quality of footy has decreased in the TSL over the past few years and it’s only going to get worse with Devonport and Burnie exiting the comp.

Early days yet but bailey scott has been impressing all the recruiters with his development over the past 6 months.

Good position to be in!

I've said as much for 12 months.

I see him more as a 15-20 player than a 5-10 player atm.

His injuries last year, the fact he will play most of the year in the TSL only increases that.

He would need a strong showing in the VFL & brain the carnival for the Allies to be in that top 5-10 bracket imo.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

His injuries last year, the fact he will play most of the year in the TSL only increases that.

He would need a strong showing in the VFL & brain the carnival for the Allies to be in that top 5-10 bracket imo.

He looks more a utility flanker type to me (like Burgoyne), but I need to see a bit more of him.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He looks more a utility flanker type to me (like Burgoyne), but I need to see a bit more of him.

Would take one of those indigenous skilfull flanker types like Burgoyne or McLeod any day.

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good that we're setting the benchmark nice and low.

Making the point that it is no great drama if he doesn't turn into a full time mid if he can excel in another position, especially one as important as the back flank.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'd be encouraging him to pull out of the championships, even though it's against AFL rules.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Still puts us in 4th even if we finish ahead of those named.

Also we lost a good 5th of our main list which IMO is more impactful than 1 superstar.

Regardless, I don't see why the semantics are being argued, people are complaining that TT isn't a top ten pick at the minute, but also complaining we will have a top ten pick AND TT :S

Thats a scenario I'm 100% comfortable with.
Those other teams have a more settled list and another year experience into the kids.

We've cut some more experience and brought in a heap more kids.

Safe to say the list has technically moved backwards from last year.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I don't disagree, but for me in a rebuilding team we have too many recycled players that are unproven or discarded by other clubs, probably on the basis that they are arguably better than we'd otherwise get in the draft at that position. Although that even looks debatable given a reasonably good track record with rookie listed players. Zurhaar for mine should be playing over Hrovat for example, and at this stage looks a way better prospect than Morgan. Play him. Looking at those on our list, Marley, Jed, Higgins, BJ, Hrovat, Ahern, Morgan, Waite, and Hartung, id say Higgins would be the only walk up starter in a top 4 team. As in the case of used cars, there is asymmetric information and reasons why clubs let players go cheap. While I'm sure our coaching staff think they are all over the issues and reasons, no doubt their previous clubs thought so too. I do sincerly hope I'm proven wrong (with all of them but particularly with Ahern) but Higgo aside, can't see any of those guys taking our club forward or being more than just handy players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, is our worst case scenario next year that we get Rankine and Thomas and maybe, a shot at one of those father-son chappies? Not to mention the dream of luring Kelly at end of 2019. Feeling “glass half full” at the mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So, is our worst case scenario next year that we get Rankine and Thomas and maybe, a shot at one of those father-son chappies? Not to mention the dream of luring Kelly at end of 2019. Feeling “glass half full” at the mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well yeah. And we don't lose picks if we don't think father sons are no good. We draft other players

#17 Tarryn Thomas – Thomas gave his future teammates a taste of what they can look forward to in years to come. The North Melbourne Next-Generation Academy prospect was slow out of the blocks but his second half was sensational. Won the ball both on the outside and in tight with his clean disposal and class catching the eye. One memorable moment was his one-on-one win in the goal square, collecting the bouncing ball and finishing truly with a left foot snap. Put on good defensive pressure while forward and worked back regularly in defence while in the midfield.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The hugs after the game between TT and the North boys were a nice touch. Already part of the team.

That's a huge benefit I reckon to take across should he come to North (Probably will.) to have already established relationships with the team to sync faster in gameplay.

Here's hoping it all goes well.

That's a huge benefit I reckon to take across should he come to North (Probably will.) to have already established relationships with the team to sync faster in gameplay.

Here's hoping it all goes well.
He will play for our VFL team at some stage this year along with other Tassie players. i.e Nic Baker from Tassie Mariners today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back