Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do we give up our first for? Could get a very good player for that with this upcoming draft pool. Not talking about free agents either. Some players like Kelly would take two firsts so are probably out of our reach.

Who do we give up our first for? Could get a very good player for that with this upcoming draft pool. Not talking about free agents either. Some players like Kelly would take two firsts so are probably out of our reach.
I believe the general thinking is if we keep our first pick that a rival club will bid on Thomas early and force us to use that first on him, whereas if we trade our first pick for a DeGoey or Wines then that frees us up to get Thomas with our second and other later picks to make up the points.

It sound viable in theory but not sure if it can be done in reality, like Pykie keeps saying it depends on how good Thomas plays in the upcoming carnivals.

I believe the general thinking is if we keep our first pick that a rival club will bid on Thomas early and force us to use that first on him, whereas if we trade our first pick for a DeGoey or Wines then that frees us up to get Thomas with our second and other later picks to make up the points.

It sound viable in theory but not sure if it can be done in reality, like Pykie keeps saying it depends on how good Thomas plays in the upcoming carnivals.
Yeah that's what I meant. Trade it to another team who will want another first in this year's draft for a good player. Not sure about trading for de gory, wines would be good though.

If we're unable to lure a worthwhile young-gun mid with this years 1st, wouldn't it make sense to trade it for a 2019 1st rounder, and potentially a 3rd/4th rounder this year? Given the strength of this year's draft I'd imagine there'd be plenty of takers for such a trade.

Then, worst case scenario where Thomas is bid on in the top 3, we have a bunch of points to use down the draft and possibly our (additional) 2019 1st rounder drops back a few places. If not, we have 2x 2019 firsts to use on Kelly without selling our futures.

Port and Adelaide should be in our sights really - they will want ammunition to try and get into the top few spots in the draft, given the two South Australian kids there. You could probably get their first and second in 2019 if it allows them to trade up into the top 2-3 this year.

And I think teams bidding on players they don't want that high in the draft is a bit of a myth. A team will only bid on Thomas in the top five if they think he is the best available, especially given the talent there right now. No one with a high pick is going to risk getting a player they don't rate as the best available.

No one with a high pick is going to risk getting a player they don't rate as the best available.

This really. It's colossal waste of time to waste bidding high picks on something you're not even sure you're going to get. Look at how piss-scared clubs were at drafting Stepehenson who, despite being medically cleared, had a heart condition and he slipped down to a pick below what he was touted as.

Clubs at the pointy end of a draft up to like 10-15 want no liabilities in their choice. I find Thomas' selection being in the top 10 unlikely, even though he is a top 10 talent

Wouldn't be going anywhere near offering 2 first rounders for Kelly - that would be way overs at the current stage.

If he chooses us in 18 months time we make the assessment then - if he is a reigning Brownlow medallist/dual B and F winner, then fine we can offer the first 2 rounders - if he is battling injury and is and and out of the side then 1 first rounder will be more than enough (especially when he becomes a FA the year after).

i wish we had some better vision of his most recent dominant games.

please dont go mad at me but almost all of the video ive seen of him so far has been unimpressive.

the long goal from the other week was pretty nice but i cant wait to see some better highlights so i can get fully excited and on board the train. his numbers sure are good. theres no doubt about that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

please dont go mad at me but almost all of the video ive seen of him so far has been unimpressive.

the long goal from the other week was pretty nice but i cant wait to see some better highlights so i can get fully excited and on board the train. his numbers sure are good. theres no doubt about that.

If Shifter is saying it’s the best performance he’s seen then it’s fair to say he was very good.

Hahaha

Mansell is a tough accountable back pocket, McGuiness a rangy half back/half forward type.
This! Mansell can play through the middle also. McGuiness can cover a lot of ground and is good at aerial contests.

I get it. Felt a bit the same before I saw him live in the AIS academy vs nm vfl game. He’s good.

I get it. Felt a bit the same before I saw him live in the AIS academy vs nm vfl game. He’s good.

As do I, from watching his televised games in last year's U18 carnival where he seemed undersized and overawed as an underager to some degree. Ever since though this kid has done all you could hope for from a developing prospect. Kudos to him and his development coaches and I can't wait to see him on the national stage again this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back