Past #26: Tarryn Thomas - Roo until end '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their academy isn't a next gen academy it's a full blown one.

Anyone born in one half of NSW is eligible for them.
I don't think it works that way. I think the academy just has to register them while they are living in the area covered by the academy, then they just need to attend the academy.

Where they are born doesn't come into it I believe. Which is open to a bit of corruption really.

North Melbourne Next Generation 2018 Academy member Tarryn Thomas kicked three goals, continuing to put his hand up to receive a bid as a first round selection in next year’s AFL Draft.

Hoping someone with a little more knowledge regarding the tassie academy can explain how Thomas can get to north ? I understand we have a few father son prospects as well . Is this for this years draft ? Also will getting kelly impact on our ability to get Thomas ? Thanks in advance

Hoping someone with a little more knowledge regarding the tassie academy can explain how Thomas can get to north ? I understand we have a few father son prospects as well . Is this for this years draft ? Also will getting kelly impact on our ability to get Thomas ? Thanks in advance
Thomas is an underager so is draft able in 2018. We gave first dibs on him so other teams have to bid. We then just match that points value.

Thomas is aboriginal, thus eligible for our next gen academy.

He's underage at the moment, so draftable in 2018. Kelly won't impact the selection of him unless we need to delve deep into next years pics, even then, we should be able to engineer enough points for him.

"Auld confirmed AFL Tasmania were in discussions with North Melbourne about the potential of there being spots on the Roos’ list for Tasmanian-based players in their standalone VFL side, which would give the state’s young talent a taste of the higher level."

Source: http://www.examiner.com.au/story/4673899/elite-passage-is-crucial-for-young-players/

Nothing wrong with half a dozen young Tassie kids getting a crack at VFL. Hopefully we could somehow link in a few academy kids too.

Anyway, the kids a half forward, right?

I don't think anyone really knows yet. He's pretty tall for his age, albeit slight. In the under 16's game I saw him play last year, he played on the ball, full forward and across half back.

I reckon he's probably playing across half forward against the adults due to his frame but when he hits the gym and is in the AFL system, it's anyone's guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thomas is an underager so is draft able in 2018. We gave first dibs on him so other teams have to bid. We then just match that points value.

Do you mean "have" rather "gave"? Why would we give other teams access?

Surely we have and deserve first crack if we want him (apologies in advance if I've read it wrong)

I don't think anyone really knows yet. He's pretty tall for his age, albeit slight. In the under 16's game I saw him play last year, he played on the ball, full forward and across half back.

I reckon he's probably playing across half forward against the adults due to his frame but when he hits the gym and is in the AFL system, it's anyone's guess.

I've never seen him play but being in Tassie word gets around, i think he's a future midfielder.

But playing with adults already means he is too slight so is more HF/wing with mid rotation. I'm told he's certainly not a Thomas/Betts natural forward, he's more Aaron Hall type development if that makes sense.

From afl draft central

#25 Tarryn Thomas – North Melbourne will get a gem next year. Thomas showed some speed playing most of the game inside forward 50. Running down close to the boundary line, he was able to use his vision and hit Hardman in the goal square for a goal assist. Liked his game.

Will it make up for missing out on Blakey's kid?

Bailey Scott is building nicely, depends if we get him as well.

He's far more athletic than I first thought he was, having seen him first hand now. He's pretty quick and strong overhead for a mid.

He's shaping as a top 30 pick as well.

Anyway, the kids a half forward, right?
His coaches reckon at the rate he's growing he could end up anywhere as tall as 196cm based on kids they've coached before and similarities to TT.

Could be anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back